Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

sportsgenius86 posted:

Is that "Two Cathedrals"??

I've heard an insane amount of good stuff about that episode, despite knowing nothing about the show really.

Yes. The entire plot where the M.S. scandal dominates the agenda up until "Two Cathedrals" is absolutely the best television I've ever seen.

I'd say the first episode of that entire arc is "The Stackhouse Filibuster" because it is when the Vice President "solves" the issue so he can gear up for the next election instead of the president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Right now I'm working through Burn Notice season 2, and I want to go back and watch the old seasons of Psych though there's less of a need/desire.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
If you watch the entirety of the West Wing three times you get a law degree.

I'm spe. I work at the White House.

Vizrt
Oct 1, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people.
Just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights today. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have season 4 yet, so it looks like I'm going to have to find it elsewhere. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in season 3 I didn't like. Landry is my favorite character by far. My least favorite, Lila during season 2, I actually didn't mind at all during season 3. Really hoping I don't have to wait for the DVDs/Netflix for season 4. I honestly can't get enough of this show. I sit down to watch one or two episodes, and before I know it I'm through five or six.

Trying to decide what to binge through next. I have a whole list compiled out of suggestions from this thread. Seems like too many good shows to pick from, and too little time.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007
I've been watching Damages, and I'm almost done with season 2 - I can say that season 2 is disappointing compared to season 1, but it's still better than most of the tv I watch.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
Between Rescue Me, SOA and now Justified and Louis, FX is becoming the best network on TV.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Does sitting through all but one episode of the Southland marathon on TNT today count?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vizrt posted:

Just finished season 3 of Friday Night Lights today. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have season 4 yet, so it looks like I'm going to have to find it elsewhere. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything in season 3 I didn't like. Landry is my favorite character by far. My least favorite, Lila during season 2, I actually didn't mind at all during season 3. Really hoping I don't have to wait for the DVDs/Netflix for season 4. I honestly can't get enough of this show. I sit down to watch one or two episodes, and before I know it I'm through five or six.

Trying to decide what to binge through next. I have a whole list compiled out of suggestions from this thread. Seems like too many good shows to pick from, and too little time.

Season 4 just finished airing like a month ago on Direct TV. It still has to air on NBC before it gets a DVD release. It's gonna be a long while dude :(

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You all were right. Two Cathedrals was the best. That whole arch was awesome. Time to start season 3.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

FateoMcSkippy posted:

You all were right. Two Cathedrals was the best. That whole arch was awesome. Time to start season 3.

Goddamn! If you finish the series before I do, I'll be very unhappy. I'm finally plowing through Season 7 and would like to reaffirm that it's worth sticking through to the end.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

FateoMcSkippy posted:

One of the best NBC general incompetency stories is how Sorkin managed to get Bartlet's speech at the National Cathedral past the censors. Obviously having the President of the United States flip God off in a church and tell him to go to hell was a non-starter. So Sorkin established the cigarette thing in the flashback and had Martin Sheen do the speech in unsubtitled Latin.

Apparently NBC's censors were incapable of using Babelfish, because this is the translation:

PRESIDENT BARTLET: "Thank you, lord (sarcastically). Am I to believe that these are the acts of a loving God? A just God? A wise God? To hell with your punishments! I was your servant, your messenger on Earth. I did your work. To hell with your punishments! To hell with you! (in English) You get Hoynes!"

I don't think that would have aired in English.

spotswood
Feb 25, 2006
gary
Survivor:

You know, i used to make fun of it in high school but i binged through the samoa season and now im hooked (go russell)

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
The Wire Just ended the first season, it is like heroin keeps drawing you back in for more. Going to be watching this a lot in the coming weeks.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
You are nowhere near the peak of that mountain.

Just watched AD again. No comedy I've ever seen stands up so well with repeated viewings.

After all the West Wing chat in here I decided to check out Sports Night but after the first two or three episodes I'm not so sure. Does it find a better footing between high/low comedy and drama as the show goes on? It seems pretty weird right now because one minute its playing really dumb jokes, then a serious message, then a joke you wouldn't expect from a sitcom and on the whole its really jarring in that regard.

It has given me more of an appreciation for Will Bailey though.

spe fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 4, 2010

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Tiger Crazy posted:

The Wire Just ended the first season, it is like heroin keeps drawing you back in for more. Going to be watching this a lot in the coming weeks.

Season two is going to kick your rear end :(

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

FateoMcSkippy posted:

That episode has some of the most moving poo poo in television history. Great writing and acting. My favorite part was when the President took the lit cigarette out of his mouth and threw it on the cathedral floor and put it out with his foot.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

spe posted:

After all the West Wing chat in here I decided to check out Sports Night but after the first two or three episodes I'm not so sure. Does it find a better footing between high/low comedy and drama as the show goes on? It seems pretty weird right now because one minute its playing really dumb jokes, then a serious message, then a joke you wouldn't expect from a sitcom and on the whole its really jarring in that regard.

It has given me more of an appreciation for Will Bailey though.

It finds its voice with an arc right after where you are, the laugh track starts dying down, and the drama gets much better. Second season is really uneven but still has some awesome moments.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I just binged my way through the full three seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender. What an amazing piece of western animation. It may still be a show aimed at kids, but it's nice to see animation being treated as a legitimate medium capable of carrying a serious story and deep characters.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Working on pushing through the first season of Chuck on WB's website. I caught a few minutes of a couple episodes back when it originally aired, but didn't give it too much though. The more I watch it though, the more I like it. Almost done with season 1, S2 to start immediately after.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

spotswood posted:

Survivor:

You know, i used to make fun of it in high school but i binged through the samoa season and now im hooked (go russell)

Survivor is unironically my favourite show that is still being made. :colbert:

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Coronet XX posted:

Working on pushing through the first season of Chuck on WB's website. I caught a few minutes of a couple episodes back when it originally aired, but didn't give it too much though. The more I watch it though, the more I like it. Almost done with season 1, S2 to start immediately after.

You're in luck, season 2 is exponentially better as they really dial the formula down and let the characters play their parts. The last few eps in particular are fantastic.

Was just coming off The Shield and it was the perfect recovery show.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Just started BSG....

I don't think I'm going outside for a while.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I lucked out- Barnes and Noble was having a sale on some DVDs for up to 50%, so I got the complete Prisoner for $35. Haven't had time to get far, but I'm just glad to finally have it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which version? $35 for the AMC version sounds like a lot.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Which version? $35 for the AMC version sounds like a lot.

The original.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Season two is going to kick your rear end :(

I also just finished Season 1...kick my rear end how? The frown makes me think I'm not going to like it but heroin is addicting and can really kick your rear end, so maybe season 2 will be even more addicting than season 1?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Boywunda posted:

I also just finished Season 1...kick my rear end how? The frown makes me think I'm not going to like it but heroin is addicting and can really kick your rear end, so maybe season 2 will be even more addicting than season 1?

Try not to create a firm opinion of season 2 right away. It's my favorite, but a lot of people didn't like it after season 1.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm on the last season of The Shield. I have to say I kinda don't care much anymore, but i've got like 5 episodes left, so gently caress it. It was a fun show. Dutch was my favorite character.

I'm considering Six Feet Under next, because to be honest I'm really running out of shows that are supposed to be good.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

V-Men posted:

Try not to create a firm opinion of season 2 right away. It's my favorite, but a lot of people didn't like it after season 1.

While it's not my favorite, I liked season 2 a lot more on subsequent viewings than I did when it aired. While it's not very different from the other 4, it's different enough that a lot of people are put off.

General Washington
Sep 28, 2007
The Wire. I'm on episode two of season 5 at the moment. Seven eps left and I'm done!

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

V-Men posted:

Well watched the first 2 and it seems to go right where it left off...a little slow to develop mind you and I like the introduction to the new "players". I definitely see the potential in it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I think it's just a bit of an abrupt shift from the black gansters of season 1 to the dockworkers in season 2. It does fit a lot better in retrospect thogh since the show continues to expand it's horizons to cover just about every problem contributing to Baltimore's urban decay.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Noxville posted:

I think it's just a bit of an abrupt shift from the black gansters of season 1 to the dockworkers in season 2. It does fit a lot better in retrospect thogh since the show continues to expand it's horizons to cover just about every problem contributing to Baltimore's urban decay.

Which is exactly what I was expecting after reading the wikipedia page for it before I started into the series. Thanks for the insight though!

General Washington
Sep 28, 2007
In response to The Wire Season2 discussion: I liked it as a whole. First few episodes dragged a bit but in retrospect the entire season was enjoyable.

Three is still my favorite, however.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I finally got around to wrapping up the West Wing. I was pleased by how the series ended. Season 7 works in a very different way, but I enjoyed it. The final episode "Tomorrow" was a bit lower key than the frantic energy and tension that hung over most of the season, but I think it did a fair job of looking back over the series CJ/Danny, Josh/Donna, Sam, the napkin, WWLD :cry: without becoming a clips show.

Next up is Sports Night. Thank god the laugh track was taken away for Season 2. The audience always sounded so confused when they were told to laugh in Season 1.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Just posting for a few other series that I am watching or have recently finished.

Just finished - all seasons of Rescue Me. Definitely recommend it for those who haven't watched it. Great mix of drama, action and comedy.

Halfway through season 1 of Mad Men. Not even too sure if I'm going to finish it. Seems really dry, but I probably will finish it since I got the time to do so.

Just finished Carnavale - WOW, sucks rear end that they stopped after 2 seasons. I thought it was fantastically written.

After I finish The Wire, not too sure what I'll tackle next. Probably Curb Your Enthusiasm....or Arrested Development. I'm interested in some "new" comedy.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Boywunda posted:

You'll see what I mean. I'm in no way criticizing it. Most people either love season 2 and think season 4 sucks or vice-versa.. I loved them both.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The one thing I remember best about The West Wing is that the bit where Josh is posting on the internet and finds his fans are weird and obsessive is based on Aaron Sorkin going on some forum (possibly TWOP?) and not getting the rapturous welcome he was expecting. Which is kind of a little pathetic, really.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Johnny B. Goode posted:

You'll see what I mean. I'm in no way criticizing it. Most people either love season 2 and think season 4 sucks or vice-versa.. I loved them both.

I don't know how anyone can think season 4 sucks. That's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Noxville posted:

I don't know how anyone can think season 4 sucks. That's insane.

It's pretty slow and not engaging until the last few episodes after which you literally want to put a shotgun in your mouth :(