Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I could see that intention but what I'm saying is why is a punch meant to go inside a .125 hole, so freaking close to .125? Why isn't it .120 or less?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

RealKyleH posted:

I could see that intention but what I'm saying is why is a punch meant to go inside a .125 hole, so freaking close to .125? Why isn't it .120 or less?

This right here is why no machinist has ever truly pleasured a woman.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

frozenphil posted:

This right here is why no machinist has ever truly pleasured a woman.

:golfclap:

Seriously though, those are some nice looking punches, but I could never use them for fear of wearing them out and being out the cost.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I will now be purchasing those punches for work on firearms. If you're working on someone else's gun, or you just want to keep yours immaculate, there's a whole other strata of tool quality out there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

If you don't drill stainless often or at all regular ol' HSS bit will be fine.

What if all I do is drill stainless and aluminium? Which bits should I be looking for stainless and aluminium? (mainly like 0.032" - 0.016" aluminium, and 0.020" stainless sheet metal. Nothing like 1" of stainless or anything).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

RealKyleH posted:

I think the important point is that they're not exactly for brute work on cars and general "disassembly for repair" work. Guns would be a big one, as well as doing machine work like he's doing to build them.

Either way they're bound to be ridiculously expensive, and they're on a tool form full of people who collect tools. You can't really expect sanity.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Sockington posted:

What if all I do is drill stainless and aluminium? Which bits should I be looking for stainless and aluminium? (mainly like 0.032" - 0.016" aluminium, and 0.020" stainless sheet metal. Nothing like 1" of stainless or anything).

HSS will do thin stuff just fine, just keep your speed down and use a bit more pressure for aluminum. Cobalt steel is better for hard material like SS and gooey stuff like aluminum. Lots of lube helps too.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

oxbrain posted:

HSS will do thin stuff just fine, just keep your speed down and use a bit more pressure for aluminum. Cobalt steel is better for hard material like SS and gooey stuff like aluminum. Lots of lube helps too.

Wax works really well on Aluminum.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Sockington posted:

Cobalt 118* if theyre used often, HSS 118* if theyre used in your garage now and then. Bright/plain/normal/uncoated finish should be fine.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Cobalt 118* if theyre used often, HSS 118* if theyre used in your garage now and then.

I'm drilling 1/8 and 3/16 holes for either pop rivets or screws - just tiny little holes.

The pure carbide stuff is too brittle, right? So look to something Cobalt, correct?

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

RealKyleH posted:

Cobalt 118* if theyre used often, HSS 118* if theyre used in your garage now and then. Bright/plain/normal/uncoated finish should be fine.

118* has always been the standard, but it seems like much of the new stuff is 135*, with a split point. I'm not arguing against your suggestion, just commenting on a current general trend that will affect availability.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

CatBus posted:

118* has always been the standard, but it seems like much of the new stuff is 135*, with a split point. I'm not arguing against your suggestion, just commenting on a current general trend that will affect availability.

Good to know,when you say general trend do you mean in machining in industry or for whats in hardware stores for general purpose?

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

Sockington posted:

I'm drilling 1/8 and 3/16 holes for either pop rivets or screws - just tiny little holes.

The pure carbide stuff is too brittle, right? So look to something Cobalt, correct?

Solid Carbide is ideal, but if you're talking sheet metal + drill press or cordless drill, you're far better buying a high cobalt HSS drill. If you plan to drill an abundance of holes, look for a nice coated one. Carbide likes rigidity and high cutting speeds, so unless your application will involve industrial machinery (HD drill press, milling machines, lathes, etc.) you're more likely to fracture the cutting edge. HSS = tough, and added cobalt is great for the higher red-hardness.

CatBus
May 12, 2001

Who wants a mustache ride?

RealKyleH posted:

Good to know,when you say general trend do you mean in machining in industry or for whats in hardware stores for general purpose?

I bought a set of cobalt bits in Dec., and in searching around, all of the mainstream brands (Irwin, Bosch, Milwaukee) seemed to only be available as 135* split point. I don't know what the specialty machinist brands are doing.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I suggested a cobalt 118 degree bit simply because that's what I (erroneously) thought was most widely available. It seems searching MSC pretty much every one of their cobalt 1/2" drill bits are 135 degree, split point.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Snap on truck finally showed up again at my shop on friday. What a happy time that is, until I realized I racked up about $600. It woulda been more too, but my co-worker bought that last set of those new line wrench switchblade lookin things he had.

You guys were mentioning punches, and this was one of the things I got:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?item_ID=79826&group_ID=20844
I really am liking them, but I feel it was as much that they just look so drat neat as well as how useful they are that went into me getting them

And to make today even better, I snatched up this set of snap on impacts off craigslist for a steal

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 1, 2010

PeaceFrog
Jul 27, 2004
you'll shoot your eye out.
Look what I found. 5hp 230v @ 30A. Almost 15cfm @ 175psi T30-type pump. Heavy as hell. Now I need to figure out how to run a new feed under the driveway to power the beast. I cannot wait to fire it up.

I told her I spent a couple hundred bucks on an Air Compressor, and that it would help me a whole lot replacing her struts. She didn't notice the monstrosity at the bottom of the driveway, and now it is safely hidden in the garage.

PeaceFrog fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 2, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Any coupons or deals floating out there for swivel impact sockets?

I had a small set snap on given to me that.... "walked off". Well not a full set. Just 3 of them.

I was looking at 1/2" drive in a few sizes, problem is I need a 1 1/8th for pulling my control arms off, and I'd like to see what's out there before I start dropping 50-60$ for one. Plus the other sizes. It's pricey enough that I may wind up getting a set instead.

snapon has a set, and craftsman has one that, oddly enough is almost priced as high as snapon, given that choice I'd go for the snap on.

Any other ideas? I was looking at Proto but they don't seem to have the size sockets I need. SK seems decent with a slightly better price than snap on.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 5, 2010

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What do you use to strip very small wires? My cheapo wire strippers go down to 22, but I've come across wires smaller than that before. A couple tiny wires on some aux lights I put on my bike for one. Telephone wire, for another. I haven't been able to find something that goes lower than 22 at the big box stores.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Uthor posted:

What do you use to strip very small wires? My cheapo wire strippers go down to 22, but I've come across wires smaller than that before. A couple tiny wires on some aux lights I put on my bike for one. Telephone wire, for another. I haven't been able to find something that goes lower than 22 at the big box stores.

usually just go around it with a box cutter, then do a perpendicular cut and you can tear the coating away

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

I got a pair of Craftsman wire strippers (yellow handle, the red ones are bigger) that go down to 26 gauge. I can't imagine working with wire smaller than that.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Uthor posted:

I have a pair of these http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/100 that I got from radio shack for cheap, does 30 gauge no problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Suniikaa posted:

I have a pair of these http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/100 that I got from radio shack for cheap, does 30 gauge no problem.

For that price, I'll see if I can't find some at RadioShack when I go in there next week. I don't have an immediate need, but I'll be glad to have 'em when I do.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I use a set of those for fiber optic wire, aka they get small. /CRUNK JUICE

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Havent used it for wires that small though I am pretty sure they make die sets for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-45-098-20-30-Stripmaster-Strippers/dp/B000B5Y9YM

Much prefer it to the other style of cutters shown above though those are still better than box cuttes. Box cutters on small wires is a good way to fail tensile tests.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

For really tiny wires, I just use my thumbnail.

But a careful application of nippers works pretty well too if you have a steady hand.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I bought a big one of those and gave to my dad. I like the concept, but they are awkward to use sometimes. Like if the wire is in a tight space or coming at you at a weird angle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I use one of these types mostly:

There's a few different places that sell them - they're not expensive, and I find they're much easier to use than most strippers I've tried. They're "rated" 26-14 AWG, if that will do what you need. For scale, they're about 5" long.

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Are jacks like that any good to work safely underneath a car or is that more of a certain death by smothering kind of tool? I'm planning to drop the transmission if that's any indication.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

duep posted:

Are jacks like that any good to work safely underneath a car or is that more of a certain death by smothering kind of tool? I'm planning to drop the transmission if that's any indication.

Jacks like what?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

duep posted:

If it's all you've got, they're better than nothing, but if you're going out to buy some, it's not much more for this kind:

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain

oxbrain posted:

Jacks like what?
Like in the picture right underneath the text?
or if that's not working:
click me

Right, as I'm going to buy I'll see whats available with a four point footprint.

duep fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 5, 2010

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

If I'm under the car, I want nice, solid, welded metal jacks that in no way fold, just out of principle. :colbert:

Edit: VV yeah, I meant jack stands. I don't get under a car on jacks at all.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2010

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

meatpimp posted:

If I'm under the car, I want nice, solid, welded metal jacks that in no way fold, just out of principle. :colbert:

A quality jack stand as well.

http://www.usjack.com/

Problem is, many jacks/stands sold in retail stores are .. kinda junk, you have to special order something decent.

I wound up getting my usjacks from jackxchange somewhere in orange county, CA.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Suniikaa posted:

Harbor Freight has these with yellow handles for the same price if Radio Shack doesn't pan out. Good down to infinity.

e: Suniikaa, thanks for the Curious Inventor link, turns out the rest of the site is pretty cool.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 5, 2010

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought a Milwaukee Sawzall from a sketchy dude yesterday for $25. Came with 2 10 packs of brand new blades. Pretty sure it was stolen the way he was behaving.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I bought a Milwaukee Sawzall from a sketchy dude yesterday for $25. Came with 2 10 packs of brand new blades. Pretty sure it was stolen the way he was behaving.

It's a Sawzall. Cut your guilt up until the pieces are too small to bother you anymore. Then do it to everything else in the world.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Sawzall is like duct tape in reverse, it's perhaps the most awesome power tool in existence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

grover posted:

Sawzall is like duct tape in reverse, it's perhaps the most awesome power tool in existence.

I'm pretty sure I could cut the planet in half with this thing. It makes my arms ache after a few seconds of use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure I could cut the planet in half with this thing. It makes my arms ache after a few seconds of use.

Use it more, this too shall pass.

More.