Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I need a little help from those of you who know your paints.

I'm trying to get a skintone like the greenish one on this guy, but can't work out what colours to use.

Without assistance my GUO may end up like this, and that would make Papa Nurgle sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Knarloc Green with increasing amounts of Dheneb Stone would do it, I think.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Bleached bone (or off white of your choice) + Rotting flesh would be my guess.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Knarloc Green with increasing amounts of Dheneb Stone would do it, I think.

I'd have said basecoat with dheneb stone mixed with rotting flesh, then wash with gryphonne sepia and thraka green, then highlight with the same stone/rotting flesh mix and start lightening it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Dheneb Stone, some washes of purple and green and highlight of rotting flesh+bleached bone.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
I just bought the boardgame Descent, and some of the pieces and bases are are a bit warped. does anybody who's worked with semi-soft plastic miniatures know if it can be fixed by putting the pieces in hot water, and trying to bend it back, like plasticard, or if I'll just gently caress the minis up.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Combaticus posted:

I just bought the boardgame Descent, and some of the pieces and bases are are a bit warped. does anybody who's worked with semi-soft plastic miniatures know if it can be fixed by putting the pieces in hot water, and trying to bend it back, like plasticard, or if I'll just gently caress the minis up.

Seconding this, some of the larger monsters have appendages warped enough that they won't sit flat on table top.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Meatslam posted:

Did I ever mention I really like the way you paint orks?

Thanks!

Combaticus posted:

Depends on what kind of plastic was used in the models. Chances are pretty likely they were injection molded, and therefore can be softened and repositioned without destroying the model. The most commonly recommended method that I've heard of is using heated sand. My fiance has a heat gun that she uses for embossing stuff, and that's been fairly effective and softening thin pieces for me.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That looks great. I like the rivets; what's your technique?

Cutting and gluing plastic rod until I go insane from the repetitive work and the fumes.

Pick thin circular rods (less than 1mm thick, I mostly use 0.5-0.7mm) for your basic rivets, and slightly larger hexagonal rods for nuts and bolts (1.5x to 2x the thickness of your circular rods). You can also get square rods to use as square bolts or washers, but it's roughly as much work to cut square bits of thin plasticard.

Cut slices of rod carefully with a sharp knife. Change blades if you haven't for a while, if you're using a dull blade this kind of cutting is very prone to shearing, giving rough edges that are impossible to remove from these tiny objects. Lay the rod flat on your cutting mat and cut straight down with an even pressure. You want to get rivets as flat as you can but you don't need to be perfect, these are ork rivets. Go slowly at first, after a bit you can get a rhythm going. I find it easier to keep straight if I edge the rod under the blade for each cut rather than moving the knife. If you cut a rivet too thick don't try and cut it in half or whatever, it's a waste of effort, keep going down the rod which is easier to handle and faster. Cut at least twice as many as you'll think you'll want for the section you're working on: I guarantee you will use at least 50% more than your initial guess.

Rivets tend to ping off as you cut, sometimes I put a little 'goal' made of half a blister pack next to where I'm cutting to catch the wild ones, usually I forget to dig it out and just cut next to my model. If you don't wear glasses get some eye protection: You won't blind yourself with rivet shrapnel, but you will remember it for a while!

Oh, and you can also drill holes to represent rivets/bolts that have dropped out. Make sure they're in a line with other rivets so it's clear it's not a half-assed bullet hole.

Some people suggest using the kind of hole-punch that's supposed to be used for making holes in leather belts and straps to make rivets to glue on. This is probably quicker and less fiddly than cutting rods, but I have yet to see a model using this technique that didn't look like it was covered in Lego studs. Can't say I'm ever likely to try it.

Dunno if Cakefool or any of our other resident looney riveters have anything to add to that.

Also I'm trying out weld lines on this build, which is just a thin sausage of your choice of putty laid along a joint and then stabbed into place along both edges with something pointy but a bit blunt like a cocktail stick.

quote:

I start with bestial brown, drybrush with snakebite leather and solar macharius orange, then flood the whole thing with devlan mud. After I ring the base with scorched brown I hit the model with dullcote, then use water effects on the base to get the final result.

I was meaning more what's it made out of before painting and effects? Just sand on PVA or is there something more in there? The surface looks more smooth in some places than others so I wondered. Might just be the photo or the water effects doing that I guess.

quote:

My freehanding sucks, but I might try to be more adventurous in the future. I had a tentative plan of keeping the troop units a solid color, and using checks and other stylish stuff on the elites and other boyz. The problem is that the same focus that keeps the paint jobs clean also makes it impossible for me to be happy with any freehand work I do. I already spend way too much time on each model.

EDIT: Originally what I wanted to do was make each unit a different color. So the boyz would be red, orange, yellow, blue, and possibly purple squads. Maybe I could make the shoota boyz red and the slugga boyz yellow, and then use checks or dags to differentiate each squad. Thoughts?

You could also just vary weapon colours: Red boyz with all-gunmetal weapons, yellow boyz with brass bits on weapons etc. Orks tend to go best in either dingy poo poo-covered blacks, greys and browns, or bright primary colours (probably poo poo-covered too). Not sure I'd use purple unless I was trying to make some flamboyant freebooters or something like that.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Without assistance my GUO may end up like this, and that would make Papa Nurgle sad.

Greater daemon of mushy peas.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Fyrbrand posted:

Ok awhile back someone here posted some badass skinks that were green with white facial paint kinda stuff going on. Anyone have pics of those, or know who it was or anything? Can't exactly wade thru all the pages in this thread.

Someone should claim these because they're not mine and I'm a dummy who forgot to include who painted them in the file name. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shallow posted:

I was meaning more what's it made out of before painting and effects? Just sand on PVA or is there something more in there? The surface looks more smooth in some places than others so I wondered. Might just be the photo or the water effects doing that I guess.

The actual foundation is a combination of spackling putty and patches of sand. What I do is start off with a black base. I add a layer of spackling putty, and then dab at it with my finger to make crevices and other textures. The back of a paintbrush and other tools also help. I then put the model on it so his feet will press little indentations. After the putty dries I scrape away the material underneath the model's feet so they'll have a good plastic weld to the base. I then add dots of PVA glue to different locations and dip the whole thing in sand. Once that dries I coat the whole thing with watered-down PVA to seal everything.

quote:

You could also just vary weapon colours: Red boyz with all-gunmetal weapons, yellow boyz with brass bits on weapons etc. Orks tend to go best in either dingy poo poo-covered blacks, greys and browns, or bright primary colours (probably poo poo-covered too). Not sure I'd use purple unless I was trying to make some flamboyant freebooters or something like that.

Yeah that's my main concern. Alternatively I could goof around with combinations of red and yellow in the other models, thus guaranteeing that I'll go crazy. I think the blue and orange squads would look okay, it's just that last squad color that drives me nuts.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

The other thing you can do is get a box of fantasy orcs and go for a Snakebite mob in varying shades of brown. This will also give you some moon-hat heads you can use on your next batch of yellow/bad moon boyz.

The fantasy orc boys fit together in exactly the same way as the basic 40K ones so it's just a bits swap to do this.

Edit: actually you clearly already know this because you are using fantasy bits anyway, duh.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

Someone should claim these because they're not mine and I'm a dummy who forgot to include who painted them in the file name. :(

Sweet, thanks dude. Hopefully someone claims it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Shallow posted:

Some people suggest using the kind of hole-punch that's supposed to be used for making holes in leather belts and straps to make rivets to glue on. This is probably quicker and less fiddly than cutting rods, but I have yet to see a model using this technique that didn't look like it was covered in Lego studs. Can't say I'm ever likely to try it.

Dunno if Cakefool or any of our other resident looney riveters have anything to add to that.

Also I'm trying out weld lines on this build, which is just a thin sausage of your choice of putty laid along a joint and then stabbed into place along both edges with something pointy but a bit blunt like a cocktail stick.

Yeah, what this dude said. Slices of rod are the way forward unfortunately. I'm going to try using a punch, not for rivets but I've had a need to punch small circular holes. I also need to try weld, I've not got greenstuff to look right, my local model shop has a plastic filler paste with a needle applicator, I'll have a go with that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Combaticus posted:

The D6 Generation just did a piece on this a few weeks ago. Dip in hot (just less than boiling) water, bend to shape, and dip in cold water.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've had good results with the rod slicing technique. It's a royal pain in the rear end when you get to the small rivets, but it looks good. Another method that I'm experimenting with is to use a punch (I use a 3/16" transfer punch) to make divots in a .01" thick sheet of brass. It seems to work fairly well.

I'll post pics up later when I'm done working on modeling my battlewagon.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Big mek with KFF! Crosspost! Guy is shiney because of the thraka wash, gonna dullcote him when I get off my rear end and dullcote everything else.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im not a huge fan of posting WIPs, but I know shavnir wants to see this. Also, there is some progress on teh SW bikers and stuff behind the stompa, but they are getting chainpainted so I wont have any good pics of them til tuesday, probably.

Anyways, here it is. Missiles/orks/grots/mud on feet/some chalky looking glyphs/horns/etc still to come. Garbage flash photos, rargh.:

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
baller

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

At first I thought it was too dirty and ramshackle for your other works, but it's Orkz so v:shobon:v

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its painted to match shavnirs other vehicles which are pretty worn and weathered looking

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Crosspostin' like a bitch

Ok just finished my chaos terminators, they are all magnetized and I have 5 sets of lightning claws waiting for some greenstuff and paint, so I can run nearly any combo of termies, I also have typhus and he is on my photobucket too.

Click for big

Termy with flamer + power weapon

Same termy with TL bolter and power fist

Group shots! yey!

Come on goons want to hear your thoughts on these, nice or not so nice. Also I should probably add another highlight to the weapons, as the matte varnish dulled it down quite a lot.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Crosspostin' like a bitch

Ok just finished my chaos terminators, they are all magnetized and I have 5 sets of lightning claws waiting for some greenstuff and paint, so I can run nearly any combo of termies, I also have typhus and he is on my photobucket too.

Click for big

Termy with flamer + power weapon

Same termy with TL bolter and power fist

Group shots! yey!

Come on goons want to hear your thoughts on these, nice or not so nice. Also I should probably add another highlight to the weapons, as the matte varnish dulled it down quite a lot.

These are awesome, I especially like the eyes/power weapon blades. Can't say I'm a fan of the guns (all metal with nothing to break it up) but they do look well done.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!

The Good Professor posted:

These are awesome, I especially like the eyes/power weapon blades. Can't say I'm a fan of the guns (all metal with nothing to break it up) but they do look well done.

This is a good point and something I was thinking about. Might rust them up a bit more and do the same green as the armour on the casing of the bolters? Y/N

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

do the same green as the armour on the casing of the bolters? Y/N

Voting Y. Also some of that red on them somewhere.
e: maybe some bolter casings red?

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Could do, wanted to keep the red minimal just to break up the green/brown/blue pattern. Too much would steal attention I think. Gonna make the modifiactions to the guns though. Thanks for the thoughts duder :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm crosspostin' this WIP from the oath thread. It's my kitbashed BW with deffrolla. What do you guys think?

Link for 'Uge

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm crosspostin' this WIP from the oath thread. It's my kitbashed BW with deffrolla. What do you guys think?

Link for 'Uge

you sexy bastard

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats loving rad. Any plans on addign any spikiness to the rolla?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats loving rad. Any plans on addign any spikiness to the rolla?

Debating it. I've got a bunch of spikes from the stompa kit that I might use.

Here's some more angles. Click on the pics for massive versions.

EDIT: I took your advice and added spikes to the rolla. What do you think?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 8, 2010

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Flash:

Click here for the full 1000x665 image.

No flash:

Click here for the full 1000x665 image.

I need to get another clamp light, but I painted up this model to test it out...

edit: does anyone know if clear bulbs are similar or the same as daylight?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Finished. I looked at the stompa, looked at my lightbox, and muttered to myself "we're going to need a bigger boat"

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
^^^ holy gently caress that is some stompa.

Painted some stuff this weekend.

Hive Guard for my Oath/nid army

Some Zombies I assembled a while ago but never painted. Decided to go for muted colors to give it an aged, decayed look. Used for D&D 4e tactical roleplaying. 5 down 15 to go.

A Dork Knight for one of the other players in D&D 4e. Used airbrush + Vallejo's black metallic air paint. The black looks great in person. The vallejo air metallics are awesome even for brushing on.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
PV, what did you do to get the metal looking that way? Did you start off with different base colors?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Simple green is 2:1 water correct? As an unforeseen consequence I cut myself trying to open the bottle :psyduck:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Assuming you're talking about the chemical solvent, just use straight unless you're super-paranoid about melting your plastics through inattention. Should be fine for the 24 hours or so that it takes to kill your paint, in any case. A little quality time under a faucet with a toothbrush may be required, but that's the case for anything that's not brake cleaner.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Anphrax posted:

Simple green is 2:1 water correct? As an unforeseen consequence I cut myself trying to open the bottle :psyduck:

Just use outta the bottle, it doesn't hurt plastics and I've left marines in a tub of it for months just fine

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Just use outta the bottle, it doesn't hurt plastics and I've left marines in a tub of it for months just fine

I've left plastic models in it for over a year

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anphrax posted:

edit: does anyone know if clear bulbs are similar or the same as daylight?

Not even close, clear bulbs give a yellow tinged light, daylights have enough of a blue component to appear not-yellow, just like, well, daylight, which is yellow source with blue ambient. :eng101:

I wonder if you could achieve the same effect with blue theatre filters over your lamps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

stabbington posted:

Assuming you're talking about the chemical solvent, just use straight unless you're super-paranoid about melting your plastics through inattention. Should be fine for the 24 hours or so that it takes to kill your paint, in any case. A little quality time under a faucet with a toothbrush may be required, but that's the case for anything that's not brake cleaner.

Well I didn't want to use that much so I watered it down to something near 5:1. And when I went to put them in the garage I found some minis I had put in there last summer. Popped the top off-- holy poo poo what is that smell! poo poo reeked! So I put 'em back out there :D

• Locked thread