Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cakefool posted:

Not even close, clear bulbs give a yellow tinged light, daylights have enough of a blue component to appear not-yellow, just like, well, daylight, which is yellow source with blue ambient. :eng101:

I wonder if you could achieve the same effect with blue theatre filters over your lamps?

Blue colour correction filters are a very light blue. Think robins' egg kind of blue.

Should I post some big thing about lighting? I went to college to learn about it, so I gots me book smarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Blue colour correction filters are a very light blue. Think robins' egg kind of blue.

Should I post some big thing about lighting? I went to college to learn about it, so I gots me book smarts.

Do it, that'd be money as gently caress :black101:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Please do :)

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Oh my god. My brain is literally liquid goo.

Two and a half hours of masking and painting and painting and painting again. I like the result. Might make the lines a little thinner next time.

Any suggestions on what to wash the yellow with? I really don't work with the color very often. Should I wash it at all?

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 8, 2010

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Gryphonne Sepia or DEVLANMUDBADABBLACK

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Shallow posted:

If you don't wear glasses get some eye protection: You won't blind yourself with rivet shrapnel, but you will remember it for a while!

Seconding this, I'll never forget the time I got a piece of epic scale ork battlewagon in my eye :gonk:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

enri posted:

Seconding this, I'll never forget the time I got a piece of epic scale ork battlewagon in my eye :gonk:

I hope this didn't result in an embarrassing trip to the doctor/ER

enri
Dec 16, 2003

No Pun Intended posted:

I hope this didn't result in an embarrassing trip to the doctor/ER

Thankfully no, the end result was me screaming like a loon and sticking my eye under a running tap until the offending chunk of plastic moved itself from under my eyelid :gonk:

That bloody hurt :(

I left the embarassing hobby related trips to hospital to my next door neighbour at the time, who once had to go to A&E because he superglued three fingers together.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
I superglued my hand to a table when I was a kid. This is nearly 10 years ago and I was probably way to young to be using that glue, or at least way too retarded. Took me ages to get my hand unstuck with the skin intact :(

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

enri posted:

Thankfully no, the end result was me screaming like a loon and sticking my eye under a running tap until the offending chunk of plastic moved itself from under my eyelid :gonk:

That bloody hurt :(

I left the embarassing hobby related trips to hospital to my next door neighbour at the time, who once had to go to A&E because he superglued three fingers together.

He went to A&E for that ? Was he a girlyman ?

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:orks::fh:

Only crit would be that because the rolla is so massive, the overall structure is very front-heavy. I'd suggest adding stuff at the back, sticking the little riser bits on top of the walls might be a start. I think that's a chem-plant tank isn't it? Can't remember what else is in that kit, anything like a smaller tank that could sit in a corner the back, or does it have any girder bits that might makes a decent rollcage? Whatever you think would add bulk or draw the eye really.

PaintVagrant posted:

I am not going to buy a stompa. I am not going to buy a stompa. I am not going to buy a stompa.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

He went to A&E for that ? Was he a girlyman ?

To be fair, we were around 13 at the time and he was never the sharpest tool in the toolbox to begin with :)

This is the same kid who swatted a wasp on his face and ended up getting stung in the eyeball.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shallow posted:

Only crit would be that because the rolla is so massive, the overall structure is very front-heavy. I'd suggest adding stuff at the back, sticking the little riser bits on top of the walls might be a start. I think that's a chem-plant tank isn't it? Can't remember what else is in that kit, anything like a smaller tank that could sit in a corner the back, or does it have any girder bits that might makes a decent rollcage? Whatever you think would add bulk or draw the eye really.

I hadn't really considered that. I'll look at adding some giant exhaust stacks or something, although at this point I may leave well enough alone and paint the stupid thing. One of the reasons I had kept the rear so sparseis because I want to fill it full of orks; when I get home I'll take a picture with passengers so I can see if that evens things out.

Yup, that tank is from the chem plant.

Also go buy a stompa. It's full of awesome bits; that's where the arms for the deff rolla came from.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

bhsman posted:

Gryphonne Sepia or DEVLANMUDBADABBLACK

Grohonne Sepia really should get as much praise as those two. I use it more than delvan mud and as much as badab black.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What GW colours would be a good base for a kind of weatherbeaten middle-eastern skin tone? I've tried mixing things up and can't get anything that looks quite right?

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

I superglued my hand to a table when I was a kid. This is nearly 10 years ago and I was probably way to young to be using that glue, or at least way too retarded. Took me ages to get my hand unstuck with the skin intact :(

Been late for work/school due to filing down a piece of metal offcut that's completely glued to your hand crew represent qtiyd

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

NecronSchmecron posted:

Grohonne Sepia really should get as much praise as those two. I use it more than delvan mud and as much as badab black.

Yeah, it's called Sepiabadabmud.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Awesomepaintjob has a decent video tutorial for basic wet blending here if anyone is interested. I know I really have to seen it done step-by-step to have any hope of learning a new technique, so this ought to be helpful.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

:science: It's Lighting Time! :science:
For the purposes of this lecture, light is a wave not a particle. Deal with it, particle physicists.

All the light we can see is electromagnetic radiation, kinda like x-rays and microwaves, but... visible. And generally won't give you terrifying melty organs or cancer.

All the light sources we deal with in our daily life fall somewhere in this visible spectrum. Your average incandescent bulb, for instance, glows at 32k. It's orange! The sun, by the time it gets to us, is blue at 56k. Fluorescent bulbs, like the long tubes in soulless, crushing office enviroments, are somewhere in the middle, and glow green. (ROYGBIV, where O GB are the only ones we care about.)

:gonk: But I'm a pasty Warham! What does light have to do with my life at all?! :gonk:

If you want well-painted models and awesome photos of them when they're done has PaintVagrant got a thread for you! you need to take notes. These colour temperatures of light do not mix.

Ever get that issue walking out into the bright sunlight from the inside of a school or something, and everything looks blue? Like a professional camera, your eyeballs are full of rods and cones, which sense luminance and chroma values. The ones that sense chroma are divided into three types; red, green, and blue! When you get this effect, it's because your eye hasn't white balanced for the new lighting. Cameras do this as well, but mixing colour temperatures makes this impossible to do correctly. Your eye is a LOT better at it.

Crappy consumer cameras, like in a cellphone or older cameras, don't have seperate sensors for all this stuff, and their images aren't very good. Digital SLRs are probably going to have a complicated CCD in them, for the best quality picture.

:argh: Answer my question! What does this mean?! :argh:

How's your lighting at your desk? If you paint with the lighting coming from the window, and thus the sun, your desk lamp needs a daylight bulb. This way, both light sources are the same and your colours don't look weird from different angles. If you paint in a dank chamber in your basement, don't sweat it, but do rub the lotion on your skin.

If you want to take nice photos in a lightbox you've made for yourself, buy whatever the hell bulbs you want. Daylights, naked incandescents, naked fluorescents, whatever, but keep them all one type. Optimally, you want to black out the room you're taking your photos in, because light bleeding into the photo from something other than your desired sources is a reason samurai would commit ritual suicide and can shift the colours so badly your photos will look like rear end. Yeah, your camera is pretty much inside the box, and it's really bright in there, but why take chances? Draw the goddamn blinds, keep the spillage to a minimum.

Don't worry if your painting light is a different temperature than your photo lights; white balancing your camera will make it all good. (If you shoot on a black background or a coloured one, place a piece of white card into the booth and balance off that.) If your camera is SO lovely it won't white balance how you want, Photoshop can help.

:science:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Photo taken only with tungsten bulbs:

Photo taken with a combo of daylight and tungsten bulbs, camera adjusting for tungsten. Blue tinge is because the daylight looks blue when adjusting for 3200K:

I actually like how daylight looks as a filler for tungsten-lit and adjusted photos.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Painting big things is hard.

Lungboy reckons I should redo the skin like this guy for army cohesion (everything's green), and while I originally wanted him to stand out from the rest I'm inclined to agree

What say you goons ?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
You could do different shades of green for some variation, or add extra hue colours.

While there is something to be said for uniformity, I prefer some variation personally.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It doesn't have to be an identical shade, but I agree that keeping things uniform would look better.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What say you goons ?

See if this helps http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob#p/u/33/8XBG0kQkYUM

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Paint it albino.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Ork skintone variation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmZHUmzWCA

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

crime fighting hog posted:

See if this helps http://www.youtube.com/user/awesomepaintjob#p/u/33/8XBG0kQkYUM

I think I'm going to try mixing my way of doing the DP with some of the elements from this.

Cheers.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

enri posted:

When I was cutting rods for the plasma cannon on the warhound, I decided to try my hand at making rivets for a later project that may need them. One flew up and landed square in my eye and it hurt like hell. And here I thought I was the only one...

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

Xir posted:

I come to you, painting gurus, with a question.

I'm painting some Cryx stuff and I'm doing my own paint scheme because the official one is just a little too noxious green for my tastes. What I've been doing is a base paint scheme of lich purple and gore red, with gold accents. In most cases this means purple armor, red cloth (except on warcasters, their cloth has been fortress grey with white highlights) and gold trim around things like bane knight shoulder pad details.

With all of that said, my question is this: What color should I use to edge highlight the purple? I have hawk turquoise and was thinking about that but figured I'd ask and see what the brain trust suggested.

Thanks for the help, this thread got me off my butt and back into painting and ultimately back to miniature gaming. I'm stripping my Space Marines to return them to my first Chapter as well, Blood Angels.

So thanks again, warhams. :argh:

I quote this again because I didn't see a response to it. If I overlooked it, I apologize. In addition, I have a new question. I need to create a green glow look in the vents on my Cryx jacks. I have no idea how. Suggestions?

Xir fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 9, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Xir posted:

I quote this again because I didn't see a response to it. If I overlooked it, I apologize. In addition, I have a new question. I need to create a green glow look in the vents on my Cryx jacks. I have no idea how. Suggestions?

just a quick scorpion green + thraka wash should do it. If you want to highlight it, hit it with scorp green again towards the top

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

PaintVagrant posted:

just a quick scorpion green + thraka wash should do it. If you want to highlight it, hit it with scorp green again towards the top

Thanks for that PV. I'll have to go pick up some paints, but I'm interested to give it a shot.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Thought this was a nifty little guide to painting gold: http://brokendice.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-paint-gold.html

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

bhsman posted:

Thought this was a nifty little guide to painting gold: http://brokendice.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-paint-gold.html

while that looks pretty drat amazing i'm pretty sure by the time i'm applying the 18th layer of goopy metallic snot a.k.a. GW gold paint i'd just throw the whole thing away and come up with a new colour scheme.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Richyp you were being sarcastic with the tree, right?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cakefool posted:

Richyp you were being sarcastic with the tree, right?

You mean the unpainted dead plant from my garden, no I thought it looked sweet and framed the model really well.

(yes, I liked the purple cone though :( )

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

oh :ohdear:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

richyp posted:

You mean the unpainted dead plant from my garden, no I thought it looked sweet and framed the model really well.

(yes, I liked the purple cone though :( )

I personally thought the tree was loving awesome. Don't let the haters hate!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

So I tried mixing up a batch of the soft black wash using the awesomepaintjob.com guy's recipe. The stuff doesn't seem to flow as well as the GW stuff. To those who have tried it, is that pretty much normal, or do I need to add more flow aid? I didn't really have the means to measure my proportions too exactly, so I eyeballed it, and I'm not exactly thrilled with the results.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've not tried making any ofthat wash yet, but when I do I'm going to use pipettes. Buy some off ebay, the going rate is ridiculous, a billion for tuppence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've not tried making any ofthat wash yet, but when I do I'm going to use pipettes. Buy some off ebay, the going rate is ridiculous, a billion for tuppence.

Here's what you should do...

1. Go to https://www.mcmaster.com.
2. Search for "pipettes" and pick whatever you want.
3. Spend hours browsing their site for other awesome stuff.
4. Purchase said stuff.
5. Enjoy the warm feeling that can only come from using the most awesome site on the Internet.

Seriously, that place has everything.

• Locked thread