Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Randomly browsing insound.com, I found this:

http://www.insound.com/Smashing_Pumpkins_Teargarden_By_Kaleidyscope_Vol1__Songs_for_a_Sailor__PREORDER_CD7inch/productmain/p/INS72501/

Checked out smashingpumpkins.com and there was no information about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

CRACK FIRE BEATS posted:

Reading this thread and I realized, and this really pisses me off, an ex-girlfriend back in '98 stole my Aeroplane box set of all the Mellon Collie singles. The Zero CD was really drat good.

It's okay, man, look around at used places. You can probably find a good-quality used one around for pretty cheap.

I found a perfect condition used one for, no kidding, 20 bucks five years ago.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just a heads up, the new song “A Stitch in Time” will be out tomorrow.

EDIT: It's not up on for download it seems. Can listen to it here - http://soundcloud.com/smashingpumpkins

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 2, 2010

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's up now at http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

It's... ehhh...

:smith:

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Okay, ew.

sounds like Zwan mixed with TheFutureEmbrace

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
After an initial listen it's not awful, certainly better than the previous song but that is not entirely a hard accomplishment. I think I would enjoy it more if there were bass, in my headphones it seemed as though there was no bass at all and I fear what this will sound like in my car or ipod. I did like the tempo, the upbeat feel of the song and it does remind me of Zwan quite a bit and I still listen to Zwan in the summer as it just seems so perfect listening to driving home after a day at the beach or weekend at the cabin. Song for a son is still the best effort so far.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
yeah. Song for a Son is a really good song. Widow Wake My Mind loving sucks, and this one is just kind of in the middle. It isn't terrible, but this is one of those songs you listen to and never once think about again.

If I were to say the words "black swan" or "neverlost" then you know exactly what I mean.

So far, we've got two songs that are completely throw away and one good one. Oh well.

Calvin Camus
Apr 7, 2005

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I'd love to hear an "epic" song such as a new Silverfuck, Porcelina, United States, etc.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'd love to hear another song that starts off as good as Glass and the Ghost Children. Doesn't even have to be the Pumpkins, just any band that can kick off a song in such an amazing way.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I think Glass and the Ghost Children is the newest Pumpkins song I totally adore all the way through.

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

I thought it was decent song, enjoyable, not particularly memorable though.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

See, I felt that way about the last song but I really hate this one.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Machina II was fantastic. I just found out about this album today, so I'll be giving this a listen when I get home. If it's anywhere near Machina II I'll be happy. If it's anywhere near Zeitgeist...

Only 3 songs so far though, that's pretty slow. What's the time frame between releases been like? I thought the OP said something about it starting around Halloween.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

the Bunt posted:

I think Glass and the Ghost Children is the newest Pumpkins song I totally adore all the way through.

"Untitled" for me. :colbert:

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

pill for your ills posted:

"Untitled" for me. :colbert:

I remember when the Tarantula was released as the first single prior to Zeitgeist... That song rocked the gently caress out and if the whole album had been more like that I think a few more people would have stuck around.

I just remember hearing that single and thinking, "Holy poo poo, the Pumpkins are back." Then I listened to the album. :smith:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Tarantula was weird as gently caress because it was rocking, Billy was wearing a cape, he played an awesome solo, he shot lasers from his eyes and it even had a really nice Siamese Dream-y quiet section and was basically everything fans were hoping for from new SP, and yeah the album came and ruined things quite brutally.

First time I listened to the album though I was totally pumped for like, the first 25 seconds. I just thought it sounded awesome and Pumpkins were back and rocking hard (even if the production on the drums sounded very tinny and St.Anger-ish) but then Billy started singing, and everything went downhill :sigh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deceiver posted:

I'd love to hear an "epic" song such as a new Silverfuck, Porcelina, United States, etc.

Have you heard Gossamer yet? The 30+ minute versions from 2007 and the 15+ minute versions from 2008 are both really, really awesome and it may be my favorite Smashing Pumpkins song.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm going to be the weird guy here and say that I really liked the second two songs, but was indifferent on "Song for a Son". I also love Zeitgeist and I listen to it all the loving time.

I didn't get into the Pumpkins until last year though, so I don't have any nostalgia from high school for them tainting my opinions.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Haraksha posted:

I'm going to be the weird guy here and say that I really liked the second two songs, but was indifferent on "Song for a Son". I also love Zeitgeist and I listen to it all the loving time.

I didn't get into the Pumpkins until last year though, so I don't have any nostalgia from high school for them tainting my opinions.

I really like the new song. Widow Wake my mind was okay I thought. Didn't hate it like a lot of others did.

I also like Zeitgiest, but it definitely is the weakest album of them all.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
Hey Billy: Stop doubling your vocals. It's become predictable, and even more than that, it's loving annoying.

Tyja
Jul 16, 2006

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.
I like this song far more than the last but I'm really starting to feel that undertaking such a large amount of songs is going to lead to a real variation in quality.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
The newest Rolling Stone (1100) contains a long interview with Billy Corgan. It's not up online as of the moment, but I recommend tracking it down and reading it if you can. Billy comes off as... well, Billy: the massive ego, the crippling lack of self-awareness, the bizarre claims of psychic powers and divine guidance, and plenty of talking poo poo about everyone he's had a falling out with in the past.

All he claims to want is to be recognized for his talent and accomplishments. And he is undeniably talented, but he is getting harder and harder to like as a person as time goes by.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

the Bunt posted:

Huh, I guess I was always turned off by Heavy Metal Machine and The Imploding Voice and didn't listen to the back half off the album very often, but G&tGC is great, thanks for pointing it out. I still think that Cash Car Star was the last great Smashing Pumpkins song, although you need to find Machina II for that.

I stumbled across a way to get a lot more out of Zeitgeist a while back. One of my pair of earphones got caught on something and was yanked, and after that I didn't get the full range of sound. For whatever reason, vocals were inaudible, and occasionally some particular instruments. I guess it has to do with Hz or something, definitely not my area of knowledge.

Anyways, vocal-less Zeitgeist is pretty fun, and Doomsday Clock, Starz, Death From Above, and Stellar were on heavy rotation for a while a few years back.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

an oddly awful oud posted:

The newest Rolling Stone (1100) contains a long interview with Billy Corgan. It's not up online as of the moment, but I recommend tracking it down and reading it if you can. Billy comes off as... well, Billy: the massive ego, the crippling lack of self-awareness, the bizarre claims of psychic powers and divine guidance, and plenty of talking poo poo about everyone he's had a falling out with in the past.

All he claims to want is to be recognized for his talent and accomplishments. And he is undeniably talented, but he is getting harder and harder to like as a person as time goes by.

I read it the other day and you're right. Billy is a tit. He spends the better part of the interview being a typical just-moved-to-California, Hollywood-starlet name-dropping, new-agey, pseudo-spiritual dipshit with an overinflated sense of his own value. He has completely lost touch with reality. gently caress Billy Corgan.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
There's a preview over at Rollingstone.com

Billy is crazy...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/03/03/billy-corgan-on-pumpkins-split-loving-jessica-simpson-preview-the-story/

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Wow, I hated every word of that preview.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

dear god:

quote:

Do I belong in the conversation about the best artists in the world? My answer is yes, I do,” he says. “I’ve been too productive for too long, and despite what anybody wants to strip away from me, I am influential. I am. So all the Pitchforks in the world can try to strip me of every ounce of dignity, but I belong.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
That Stitch in Time song would be a million times better if the lame keys were replaced with some old school punkin' layered guitars. This probably goes for much of Old Bill's recent output though.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
And to think I've avoided Ryan Adams for years because he's such a douche...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
RIP Billy Corgan 1967-2001

As an old fan it is now just easier to pretend he's dead.

Awesomesauce
Nov 13, 2006

6 parts robot
1 part turtle
Salt and pepper to taste

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Woah. I never considered this option. Thanks bro!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Billy's solo album was pretty cool, there are a handful of songs I like from it, which is more than the new Pumpkins stuff. I'd rather he'd just gone on to do more solo instead of doing new bands or trying to blasphemously resurrect the dead corpse of the Pumpkins.
Still need to listen to these new recent Teargarden by Kaleidyscope tracks though.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 9, 2010

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Wow he really has turned into a tremendous douchebag. Also, he's claiming that he fired Jimmy from the Pumpkins in '09? I was wondering what actually happened there with Jimmy leaving but Billy doesn't say why he fired him at all, it's kinda weird. Also apparently when they originally split after Machina, Jimmy still had drug problems? What?!

For all the craziness though he's right, he should have just kicked Iha out after Machina and carried on with Melissa and Jimmy and hired a new guitarist, we'd probably still be getting good albums (and a properly produced Machina II :sigh:)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually thought Billy's solo album was pretty cool, there are a handful of songs I like from it, which is more than the new Pumpkins stuff. I'd rather he'd just gone on to do more solo instead of doing new bands or trying to blasphemously resurrect the dead corpse of the Pumpkins.
Still need to listen to these new recent Teargarden by Kaleidyscope tracks though.

I like TheCameraEye a lot, and a couple of other songs on the album.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Wanna be a bassist or keyboardist for the Pumpkins? Here's your chance! - http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pressrelease.php

So, any bets that a year or 2 later he's going to claim he fired Ginger Pooley?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I'm not a good enough keyboardist to even be considered... but also there's the fact that, when I was a carbon-copy-faux-depressed-teen 10-15 years ago and this man was my idol, you'd have to be ready to put up with a poo poo ton of crazy.

Still bugs me that Mike Byrne is loving 19 years old! The band itself is older that him. Anyway...

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

The Black Stones posted:

Wanna be a bassist or keyboardist for the Pumpkins? Here's your chance! - http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pressrelease.php

So, any bets that a year or 2 later he's going to claim he fired Ginger Pooley?

I thought Ginger took off after she had a baby?

Maybe Billy will say he impregnated her in order that she would have a baby, thus leaving the band to make way for a new under-21 keyboardist.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...
Listened to the latest two. Production continues to be terrible. Songs continue to be mediocre. Lyrics have gotten worse. Give up, Billy.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I am forced to agree. This is just loving depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Welp, I applied for the bassist position, I believe I have a reasonable chance because I look like a girl, am a pretty decent bassist, currently in one of the big 4 goth rock bands in the UK (The genre is pretty unpopular here so its no real biggy) and I have a huge amount of experience live and in the studio.

I have had a positive response back, so we'll see how it goes.

• Locked thread