Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Interrupting VARGCHAT to bring you all exciting news about a new EP from Altar of Plagues, called Tides:

quote:

Hey Jo.

Thanks for all the kind words, glad you're still enjoying White Tomb. As far as I know, Burning World will be putting up a pre-order package [for TIDES] quite soon, as it's being released in 4 weeks. They will be handling all the ordering as we have a lot of touring coming up so we don't have time to do it ourselves. I can drop you a line when they do put up if you want, I reckon it would be going up within the next two weeks. It'll be out on cd digipack & gatefold LP, and the first 100 copies of the LP come with a limited photo-book with James' photography work. I think there also might be a t-shirt in the works as a sort of "package", but were not 100% on that just now.

I'm not sure exactly when we'll be back in London, but I'd be pretty confident in saying we'll be there at some point over the summer. Once we get the upcoming tour over with we can start looking at that then. But yeah, we'll definitely make it over at some point.

Cheers,
Dave.

Yessssssss. White Tomb was incredible and I can't wait to hear this - apparently Tides is darker still than their previous output, and has two tracks on it. When I get info on the pre-order, I'll post it here, if there's interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I look forward to seeing them live. Preferably in a better venue :3:

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

apparently Tides is darker still than their previous output, and has two tracks on it. When I get info on the pre-order, I'll post it here, if there's interest.

Whoa this is awesome.

Kaiho posted:

I'd like them to play the Underworld again with gear that works and a better slot

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Kaiho posted:

I dunno, Gaff really seemed to suit them. The sound was good too. Purple Turtle could work well i guess, but anywhere much bigger would be a bit too much for them at the moment.

Extra Fancy Semen
Jul 20, 2009

by mons all madden

Pleasure to chill posted:

Yeah Turbonegro have been poo poo since their comeback, and they keep getting worse. Although the new Darkthrone has some punk-ish elements, I think calling it punk is a far stretch.

BAH! Party Animals was brilliant!!!

New Burzum...I like it, there is no hate but...Its just good , I guess.
I like old stuff so its in that mold...But there is nothing new and its only vaguely Varg.
Still up in the air on this one...

New Darkthrone is really loving enjoyable...Its NOT any hard BM , Its metal, OLD metal and its loving enjoyable..unsure what to say...I dont hate it, Its not BM from a traditionaly (or mostly) BM band and who cares! GREAT ALBUM!

Also, Im unsure this is the place but!

I hope you have all heard Samain. A Perth, Western Australian band.

If there was ever a "true" band doing that old/celtic BM stuff , it is THIS band...maybe not in some faggy claok and renaisance fair way, but they really lived poo poo mentally the right way)

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4347&PHPSESSID=6f08c0e4a2de06dba7354383a819505a

Im going to post Filez, because I know the band and I am allowed to. Drummer (Liam Stone, amazing) left to do some jazz stuff..and they folded a few years after (he came back for the Indomitus album tho as far as i know...)
Samain - An Leanabh Naomh (briste) (demo 1994)
(url edited out)

Their demo kills. Quality control on this dubbedX100 cassette is still good IMO (just turn down the bass some). Drunk On Holy Blood is a loving amazing song, 2:17 in is like emotional hell. Oh, and for fun guess where fight samples in the intro come from...

They have an album out there somewhere called "Indomitus"(1995-6?), and a final demo called "Return to the Natural"(cant remember when they did this one...) tho that final demo is...probably impossible to get online...
(edit 2: poo poo...some is here! http://www.myspace.com/samainoz ) gently caress!!!Listen to Exile and oh....gently caress!!...I miss this poo poo so much.....

If you can find anyhting by Daybreak online...they used to sorta have a Myspace page...that is also well worth it. (edit:here! cool!!! http://www.myspace.com/doomdaybreak ) <--This stuff kicks rear end!!!main Samain guy and some others doing....stuff...In the Woods inspired BM/Rock?

Also, and NO links cos they are selling poo poo still, is dISEMBOWELMENT, from AU as well, more DOOM than BM but still a great thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disembowelment_%28band%29
Find them and check them out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

tea4lyfe posted:

dISEMBOWELMENT, from AU as well, more DOOM than BM

Understatement of the thread?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Does Circle the Wagons have anything to do with settlers vs. natives in America in the 1800's, or is it a reference to something else? Either way, I think I'm going to pick this up. I've never gotten into Darkthrone but if I like it maybe I'll go backwards into their catalog.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Openknees posted:

Does Circle the Wagons have anything to do with settlers vs. natives in America in the 1800's, or is it a reference to something else? Either way, I think I'm going to pick this up. I've never gotten into Darkthrone but if I like it maybe I'll go backwards into their catalog.

I assume thats what it means, given how the guy on the cover is kind of native looking. It is actually quite a good album, if not a little odd.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

I got the Hideous Gnosis book through the post the other day.

It's a collection of the papers that were given at that BM/theory symposium in Brooklyn just before Christmas, the one that the NYT wrote about.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but flicking through, it certainly looks interesting. Then there's the page headed up by quotes from Plato's "Phaedo", Camus' "State of Siege", and "Nergal of Behemoth".

Will report back when I'm done.

Edit: Apologies for NWS image host, didn't realise that, pic edited out. I think the book is on Amazon US now although I got it from some print on demand place.

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 10, 2010

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded my band's new album for your downloading pleasure.

Strah - OSA

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 10, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Your imagine hosting website is NWS

Otherwise, where can I find a copy of that ?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Pleasure to chill posted:

Strah

I see you're a Oslo-based band, so we probably have some common acquaintances. Downloading the album now. :)

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Plasma1010 posted:

Your imagine hosting website is NWS

poo poo happens when people gently caress off on the clock

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"
Mystic Forest (myspace) -- Romantic Black Metal -- is by far my favorite Black Metal band. Does anyone know of any similar sounding artists? I already have Lifelover, Alcet, and Amoseurs, all of which are not nearly as enjoyable for me as Mystic Forest, but I'm told they are somewhat similar. I digress.

Extra Fancy Semen
Jul 20, 2009

by mons all madden

Oldstench posted:

Understatement of the thread?

Yeah, very much so. I dont think anyone presumes that band to be BM.

And its a pity the bands I posted were assumed to be not linkable for D/load.

corpsed posted:

Mystic Forest (myspace) -- Romantic Black Metal -- is by far my favorite Black Metal band. Does anyone know of any similar sounding artists? I already have Lifelover, Alcet, and Amoseurs, all of which are not nearly as enjoyable for me as Mystic Forest, but I'm told they are somewhat similar. I digress.

Its funny that there is an issue with some doom that has elements of BM being too far out, but loving shite being A-OK and blackmetal enough....Romantic BM, Alcest, Lifelover, Amoseurs...god drat...and i know for a fact Dimu Borgir and poo poo gets a pass in here.

Hayaino Daisuki is harder and blacker that the above, and god knows what genre that poo poo is....(algaion - Vox Clamentis vs??? Exodus almost, more than I can say for most BM)

Extra Fancy Semen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 19, 2010

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
1349 have a new song up on their Myspace page - "Atomic Chapel" from their upcoming album, Demonoir. Wow, a dumb song name and a dumb album name. Whatever.

The song is still kind of weird in the vein of Revelations of the Black Flame, but I wouldn't say it's half as bad.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

corpsed posted:

Go check out the Bulgarian band Zaratustra, they should be what you're looking for.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

tea4lyfe posted:

Hayaino Daisuki is harder and blacker

How really do you define harder and blacker

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

QPZIL posted:

"Atomic Chapel"

Sounds like it should be a Toxic Holocaust song or a Troma film.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

How really do you define harder and blacker

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

catbread.jpg posted:

Hey I just wanted to share the VBS documentary Heavy Metal in Baghdad, whether you care about Acrassicauda music or not, their story from going from the first ever Metal Band in Baghdad, receiving death threats, playing songs for Saddam as ordered under the regime, fleeing to Syria, then Turkey, then eventually being granted Refugee status in New Jersey is an excellent story. And watching a bunch of underground Iraqi and Syrian dudes rockin out to Metal is worth watching as well.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/acrassicauda--2/heavy-metal-in-baghdad-feature

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
eh I saw that documentary but to be honest the only thing I liked about it was seeing these countries. the music is nothing special. I appreciate what they're going through but to me it was more informative about the region than it was about anything music related.

The middle east is not open minded, film at 11.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Morbid Florist posted:

eh I saw that documentary but to be honest the only thing I liked about it was seeing these countries. the music is nothing special. I appreciate what they're going through but to me it was more informative about the region than it was about anything music related.

I feel pretty much the same way about it.

It is, however, very interesting to think that a young guy starting a band in the US has very different problems than a young guy starting a band in Iraq. The kid in the US is going to ask himself, Are we good enough? Where do we get gigs? How can I afford new gear? While the kid from Iraq has to ask, "Am I going to be killed for playing this song?"

Whoever thought that playing a Morbid Angel cover would be a life and death decision.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Morbid Florist posted:

the music is nothing special.

I guess that is a product of growing up with like only 4 or 5 bootleg CDs as your entire inspiration.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Plasma1010 posted:

I guess that is a product of growing up with like only 4 or 5 bootleg CDs as your entire inspiration.

I think they have a lot more than we think. I was talking to my friend who spent a lot of time in Iraq about this subject and he was telling me bootlegged poo poo is everywhere, however I honestly think proper black metal bands are very scarce.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

QPZIL posted:

1349 have a new song up on their Myspace page - "Atomic Chapel" from their upcoming album, Demonoir. Wow, a dumb song name and a dumb album name. Whatever.

Wow that's boring as all gently caress. I really like Revelations but I can't see myself wanting Demonoir at all if this is representative of it!

Also I saw Angantyr today and they loving owned. They opened for Horna and Taake and played a better set than either for my money. I've been a fan since Sejr and finally getting to see them live was bloody amazing, even if it was only an opening slot's worth.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
I don't think this has been posted yet, but Watain's new album is out June 7th.

I'm super duper stoked, esp since they'll be playing new poo poo at MDF.

http://www.apeshit.org/news/watain-ready-to-unveil-new-album-this-june/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Plasma1010 posted:

Well yeah but there was an awful lot of that one guy wearing a Slipknot shirt so clearly they weren't that sheltered and in part just had horrible horrible horrible taste in music. I agree that the whole thing was more interesting as a study of the plight of Iraqi civilians than of metal in the middle east. We know very well that middle eastern culture is perfectly capable of producing good metal, it's just that right now all of it comes out of Israel.

Their whole EP is on myspace. It's, well, Metallica worship and 20 years behind the times.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

thepitgoddess posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet, but Watain's new album is out June 7th.

Yeah, looking forward to that.

Gjenferdsel have a new album out on the 3rd next month - if you haven't heard their last one you should check it out because it owns. The bulk of it's up on last.fm as full tracks

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

New Nightbringer in May as well! Yesssssss

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

QPZIL posted:

This song kind of sucks, I think they had their better days already.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Just heard some of the new Burzum on radio. Holy poo poo how boring. I don't know if it's because I wasn't zoning into it like I sometimes do but man that was snoozeworthy.

edit: I mean it sounded like Burzum from the instant it started playing, but goddang.

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Kaiho posted:

Just heard some of the new Burzum on radio. Holy poo poo how boring. I don't know if it's because I wasn't zoning into it like I sometimes do but man that was snoozeworthy.

edit: I mean it sounded like Burzum from the instant it started playing, but goddang.

Burzum gets played on the radio???

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Kaiho posted:

Listen to it with a nice pair of headphones before going to bed. You'll pick up on a lot of good vibes, especially for ambient works. But I thought it was actually really good. It's kind of hard to top Filosofem (personal favorite) or his other earlier works, but I really enjoyed it.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

lol_internet posted:

Burzum gets played on the radio???

Yeah, on the metal show. That's what national public service remit broadcasters are for.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 25, 2010

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010
Just ordered “For Which He Plies the Lash”, the new Ash Pool album. I’m really excited about it, as everything they have released so far has been excellent.

Ash Pool is Dominick Fernow’s (Prurient) Black Metal band, and it’s one of the best new Black Metal bands around. Heavy, filthy and violent, but also catchy and memorable. I highly recommend you check them out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

There are lots of metal bands in the middle east, the only reason it's a life or death thing in Iraq is because leaving your house in the morning is a life or death thing in Iraq

Still enjoyed the movie though

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Kaiho posted:

Yeah, on the metal show. That's what national public service remit broadcasters are for.

I'm adding this to the list of reasons why I love Finland. As though there weren't plenty already! :)

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I was very underwhelmed at first, but it grew on me a lot. There's also heavy use of bass hits that I didn't hear until I listened to it in my car. Weird, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I watched Severed Ways - The Norse Discovery of America again, and I just cant make out what language they are speaking ? Is it made up ?