Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've not tried making any ofthat wash yet, but when I do I'm going to use pipettes. Buy some off ebay, the going rate is ridiculous, a billion for tuppence.

The obvious benefit here is that you can sit there with dozens of glass beakers full of dodgy coloured liquids and cackle manically as you mix them around, add drops here and there and pretend to be a crazy scientist :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross Postin' from the Oath Thread.

Here's the Dread I'm working on for this month, should I give him some more Yellow/Black designs on his right leg plate and may on top of his "shoulders" above his sarcophagus?

He's going to have a lot of his blank areas filled up with writing as their supposed to be his Sagas detailing the poo poo he's killed, thus meeting the iron gob.

Thoughts?

Bonus Cross Post of nearly finished Njal shots:

Also for a really easy gold recipe I do: Glorious Gold, Devlan Wash, Shining Gold highlight, extreme Mithril Silver highlight.
It's fast, it looks good, the end.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 10, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I like the glowing runes on the staff, thats a pretty good idea.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

I like the glowing runes on the staff, thats a pretty good idea.

I'm still working out how to do them properly, but the first few on the front look all right. It's pretty delicate work so I'll probably put it off until every other thing I need to work on is finished.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's what you should do...

1. Go to https://www.mcmaster.com.
2. Search for "pipettes" and pick whatever you want.
3. Spend hours browsing their site for other awesome stuff.
4. Purchase said stuff.
5. Enjoy the warm feeling that can only come from using the most awesome site on the Internet.

Seriously, that place has everything.

You could also get them from http://sciplus.com (item number 93478) for a third of the price.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Looking for some advice on painting my March oath terminators. My made up chapter uses black armor with purple highlights. Should I leave the joints black? Or highlight them with grey? I can post some WIP tonight if that would help with suggestions.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Much happier with the skin now it has something to contrast with. Still a way to go though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CyberLord XP posted:

Looking for some advice on painting my March oath terminators. My made up chapter uses black armor with purple highlights. Should I leave the joints black? Or highlight them with grey? I can post some WIP tonight if that would help with suggestions.

With black armour I'd do joints in boltgun and wash with badab.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

Cross Postin' from the Oath Thread.

Here's the Dread I'm working on for this month, should I give him some more Yellow/Black designs on his right leg plate and may on top of his "shoulders" above his sarcophagus?

He's going to have a lot of his blank areas filled up with writing as their supposed to be his Sagas detailing the poo poo he's killed, thus meeting the iron gob.

Thoughts?

Bonus Cross Post of nearly finished Njal shots:

Also for a really easy gold recipe I do: Glorious Gold, Devlan Wash, Shining Gold highlight, extreme Mithril Silver highlight.
It's fast, it looks good, the end.

Agreeing with PV, love the glowing runes. Much nicer than the glowing blue you often see. The dread is looking great too.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Much happier with the skin now it has something to contrast with. Still a way to go though.

Dude gross.

Great start.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is utterly revolting. I love it. The pinky red sores are awesomely done. Maybe a little purple in there too?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Asciana posted:

That is utterly revolting. I love it. The pinky red sores are awesomely done. Maybe a little purple in there too?

I might do, although I'm planning to finish the model by putting some shiny, viscous dark blood in them which hopefully will darken them enough.

Not really sure what to do with the currently dry lesions on his left forearm and right leg. Same wound effect as in the eaten away areas, leave them as is, or something else ? Sugestions ?

Edit: VGC rose brown is a really versatile colour. I'm using it for the wounds and tongue (with some black and red gore) and it just seems right.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 10, 2010

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Asciana posted:

Seconding the purple or even dark reds in the open wounds. He looks raw more than inflamed, but overall that thing still looks absolutely rancid.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I bet it must be so fun to just rotate him in place looking for sores you missed

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a decent stippling brush tutorial? I was going to try adding a dapple effect to my Tyranids, but then I realized I had no idea how to do it. My first attempt was just random splotches of color and it looks awful.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Which one, which one? Both, maybe? A squad of each?

Click here for the full 1600x743 image.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I really like the Red one, the silver doesn't look like it has much depth but that could be the picture.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fix posted:

The burgundy is such a nice change from boring old silver/boltgun grey knights.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bobx66 posted:

I really like the Red one, the silver doesn't look like it has much depth but that could be the picture.

Yeah, it's partly the picture. My camera didn't seem to want to pick up enough light off the red one without washing out the other one.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

If I ever start Grey Knights again (c'mon GW, make my day :argh:), I'm just going to paint them, y'know, grey.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Cricondentherm posted:

Anyone know of a decent stippling brush tutorial? I was going to try adding a dapple effect to my Tyranids, but then I realized I had no idea how to do it. My first attempt was just random splotches of color and it looks awful.

Well first you'll need a stippling brush (GW does sell one *snicker*), you can make one by trimming down an older stiffer brush (short and straight bristles).

As for the method, it is basically drybrushing* but with a stabbing motion :ese:.

*As in you want to wipe the paint off your brush.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I tried reshooting it with just the silver in the hopes the camera would handle it. I can't do the full indirect lightbox right now, so it may be that the direct light is just giving me too much shine, but I played with it in Picasa until it's a bit closer to what it really looks like.

Click here for the full 1024x587 image.

Is it still hurting for depth? What can I do?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Hey Hell Diver, is this the guy you're looking for?

I have him (opened blister, but hasn't been started at all. He came with basic backpack, though), but I don't really need him. You play Wolves and they look classy. This guy needs a good home. I'm in Australia, but you should pm me.

(just checked him again, my guy only has a bolter pistol with a sight on it too - maybe there were variants on this fellow!)

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 11, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone should make some Green Knights instead of Grey. Burgundy is good and all, but I'd love to see a quality green(possibly metallic) paintjob on them.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Green could look really good. I still love the silver ones though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone should make some Green Knights instead of Grey. Burgundy is good and all, but I'd love to see a quality green(possibly metallic) paintjob on them.

If I remember right, you're the one who got me going on the red thing to begin with. Or did you just suggest the horn?

I'll give it a shot though. I already washed one down with Asurman Blue, so why not green?

So we're at silver, red, green, blue... what else? Black? White?

Edit: Wait. You said quality. Would you settle for slapdash?

Fix fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 11, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

This sounds awesome, I'm thinking the usual silver but rather than the traditional hints of blue that GW give them, go with green hints but have it still be mostly silver.

Yum.

Still think red is the best colour for grey knights though :)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fix posted:

If I remember right, you're the one who got me going on the red thing to begin with. Or did you just suggest the horn?

I'll give it a shot though. I already washed one down with Asurman Blue, so why not green?

Gold !

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Fix posted:

I tried reshooting it with just the silver in the hopes the camera would handle it. I can't do the full indirect lightbox right now, so it may be that the direct light is just giving me too much shine, but I played with it in Picasa until it's a bit closer to what it really looks like.

The details are all good and visible but the armor itself still looks a bit flat. I'd say put some wash where the various armor plates meet and use some more for shading below arms and such. Maybe hit the gold parts again for more contrast between the metals. I like the silver ones better than the red, but that's just me. I paint my warjacks in the same silver/gold fashion with some blue here and there.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

postin this here cause it got lost in the general thread

Test headdress for my Thousand Sons. Verrry rough, attached with sticky tack. Yay or nay? Otherwise I'm going to go with something like the normal maxmini helms have on the right with the little forehead sticks

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fix posted:

I suggested the horn. :v:

Sure why not, make a squad of Power Ranger Grey Knights.

And as for quality, I meant something better than giant white blob eyes on bare heads with googly pupils quality. I'm sure even slapdash from you would be leagues better anyways.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

So... what would people recommend for thickening a paint :v: I hate drybrushing with wishy washy thin paints like some of the VGC range. One in particular stands out (because I've just used it..), cobra leather.

The only thing I can think of doing at the mo is putting it in the palette and leaving it for 10-20 minutes. Seems to do the job but I'd prefer a more instant fix.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

enri posted:

So... what would people recommend for thickening a paint :v: I hate drybrushing with wishy washy thin paints like some of the VGC range. One in particular stands out (because I've just used it..), cobra leather.

The only thing I can think of doing at the mo is putting it in the palette and leaving it for 10-20 minutes. Seems to do the job but I'd prefer a more instant fix.

VGC is pretty awful for drybrushing, its very thin out of the dropper

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Try using cheap paints from Micheals (apple barrel paints?) Those start out pretty thick.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

enri posted:

Vallejo do Foundation white, which is almost like paste when it comes out, I tend to mix that in to whatever I dry brush, but obviously it'll lighten the colour so start with a darker variant before adding it.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Fix posted:

Are they painted with flat chainmail? you might of wanted to start with a 1:1 mix of boltgun and chainmail, then build up in layers to chainmail leaving some darker edges then highlight with mithril, sort of an NMM look but with metallics.

As stated earlier, they look very flat. would be no different to painting a model plain grey with no badab wash or white highlight.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Not really sure if this post is appropriate here since it is not wargame related, but it seems this is the only dedicated miniature painting thread, so heregoes...

Primed.

Base colors set in Tamiya an Vallejo. (A mix of sandy browns and reds for the skin(Tam) and greys and greens for the digital camo pattern(Val).)

Ooooh Shiny! Two blue filters (10-90%) and a umber wash (33-66%) Both thinned with turpentine.

Added highlights to the skin with acrylics. Added layers of dust and mud to her trousers 10 layers acrylic paint 95% diluted.

More layers.

80% done I guess. I still need to 'flatten' her clothing and remove the gloss with a few thin acrylic layers, add some dust in different tones, add grease to her arms and trousers (black oils and acr.) and some other misc. detailing. I am quite pleased with her skin tone and its oily/sweaty shine.

alcyon fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 11, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoah.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

alcyon posted:

Please post more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
That figure is very nice, man. It definitely belongs here, IMO.

• Locked thread