Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Where do I start with Yes? So many albums...:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SMP posted:

Where do I start with Yes? So many albums...:psyduck:

The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

FitFortDanga posted:

The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge

And then stop.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I've been on an 70's/80's kick lately and stumbled upon Ricky Gervais's album and it's basically a David Bowie cover band. And quite frankly, I feel like this is long overdue anyway.

Tell me where to start with Bowie.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

-Atom- posted:

I've been on an 70's/80's kick lately and stumbled upon Ricky Gervais's album and it's basically a David Bowie cover band. And quite frankly, I feel like this is long overdue anyway.

Tell me where to start with Bowie.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

azechiel posted:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

This plus Hunky Dory and perhaps Scary Monsters.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I recently joined a band with a lead singer/songwriter who's obsessed with Bruce Springsteen. I grew up in a Springsteen-less household, so I've never really listened to him before. Where to start?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

wlokos posted:

I recently joined a band with a lead singer/songwriter who's obsessed with Bruce Springsteen. I grew up in a Springsteen-less household, so I've never really listened to him before. Where to start?

Chronologically.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008
I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but I don't wanna surf through +30 pages looking for an answer.

Where do I start with Bob Dylan? I tried to look for a Greatest Hits or Best Of compilation, but the guy has like 10 of those.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Programmable Soda posted:

I'm sorry if it's been asked before, but I don't wanna surf through +30 pages looking for an answer.

Where do I start with Bob Dylan? I tried to look for a Greatest Hits or Best Of compilation, but the guy has like 10 of those.

Bringing It All Back Home then Highway 61 Revisited. Both are extremely good, but hardly cover all his strengths.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

wlokos posted:

Nebraska and Darkness On The Edge Of Town are my two favorites.

SMP
May 5, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

The Yes Album
Fragile
Close to the Edge

Thanks, I'm loving The Yes Album. Here's another round of requests.

Motorhead - I've got Ace of Spades already.
Grateful Dead
Phish
Jean Jacques Perrey
- I have The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound Of Jean-Jacques Perrey

I've found a lot of new great music from this thread :)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SMP posted:

That, Overkill and Bomber are generally considered their best.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

SMP posted:

As a 'head fanatic since 1980, my advice to you would be Overkill, Bomber, Iron Fist, Motorhead(st) - basically, everything with Fast Eddie Clarke on it. After he left, quality becomes a bit spotty, but Orgasmatron and Motorizer have some decent tunes. Another Perfect Day has Robbo from Thin Lizzy on guitar and people either love it or hate it - I really like it, but YMMV.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

SMP posted:

[b]Grateful Dead
Phish
Both of these are far better as live bands so I'd recommend looking at their live compilations.

Phish have two "regular" live albums, A Live One and Slip, Stitch and Pass. A Live One is one show; SS&P is live cuts from various shows. I used to like SS&P more but these days I think A Live One is much stronger. They also have a series of "Live Phish" albums but they are just random shows they liked so I don't have a favorite to recommend. If you must go studio for Phish, Rift is my favorite, Junta is considered a classic, and everyone but me hates Hoist.

The Grateful Dead have a shitload of live albums; if you're just getting started, I recommend the one I started with, a monster 4-CD one called Fillmore East: April 1971. It's expensive but sprawling and worth it. The "Dick's Picks" albums are shows their archivist thought were good. If you want studio stuff, American Beauty is a classic and probably the place to start.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Chronologically.

Skip the self-titled

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Iraff posted:

Skip the self-titled

Springsteen doesn't have a self-titled.

(I know what you mean, though; Greetings from Asbury Park is kind of rough going since Springsteen hadn't quite found his voice yet.)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think you'd want to start at Born to Run and then go back to his earlier stuff if you know you're into him. If you don't like Born to Run, you won't be into any Springsteen. Also you're inhuman

Also to answer why RHCP sound different than they did during BSSM, that and the follow-up were really just anomalies. Their entire career aside from those albums have been boring, lovely, homogenized white dude funk.

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

TheNintenGenius posted:

Springsteen doesn't have a self-titled.

(I know what you mean, though; Greetings from Asbury Park is kind of rough going since Springsteen hadn't quite found his voice yet.)

:doh: I should have known that, it's just mistakenly labeled in my iTunes library.

Skipping the self-titled also applies to Bowie, by the way.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Where shall I start with Godflesh? I'm not really a fan of metal, but I do like Justin Broadrick's sideprojects, so it's about time I got down to his main band. Especially since he announced a reunion this summer.

I really like his Jesu project, if it helps, with the self titled being the favorite.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Dillinger Escape Plan puts on a loving awesome show but I've never listened to their studio work. What to do?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan puts on a loving awesome show but I've never listened to their studio work. What to do?

DEP has more or less two distinct periods in their work, an early one where they were just nuts, and a later one where they reined in the intensity a bit and started adding some melody. Calculating Infinity, their first album, is pretty widely considered to be the best of their early period, and the only two works they've put out with the more melodic direction are their other studio albums, Miss Machine and Ire Works. They have a new one coming out in about a week, so that might be worth checking out too. If you like Calculating Infinity, you need to hear Irony is a Dead Scene, which features Mike Patton on vocals.

Skilleddk posted:

Where shall I start with Godflesh? I'm not really a fan of metal, but I do like Justin Broadrick's sideprojects, so it's about time I got down to his main band. Especially since he announced a reunion this summer.

I really like his Jesu project, if it helps, with the self titled being the favorite.

Streetcleaner.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Godflesh only nominally sounds like Jesu, so don't expect more of the same. That being said, as well as Streetcleaner I'd recommend "Selfless", "Godflesh", "Love & Hate in Dub" (never listened to the original album but this is a pretty good remix album) and "Hymns". "Selfless" in particular has a 23 minute long closing track I really like. I like most of the band's material but I have to be in a specific mood to really dig it, otherwise the repetition gets on my nerves after a while.

And speaking of Broadrick side-projects you probably should pick up Techno Animal's "The Brotherhood of the Bomb" if you haven't yet. You probably have. If not DO IT

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
where should I start with ween?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

KevinHeaven posted:

where should I start with ween?

Like many other bands mentioned on this thread, Ween happens to be very consistent, but your best bet would be Chocolate and Cheese coupled with The Mollusk. Both albums show off almost as many genres as tracks and are catchy to boot, but if you can only have one, go with The Mollusk (which might be my favorite album of all time). From their go either direction, though you might want to come back to 12 Country Greats after White Pepper and Quebec. Everything from Pure Guava back is excellent but extremely weird and less accessible than their middle couple albums. The only album you should watch out for is their second: The Pod. It is weird as gently caress but not horrible, just so sooo murky and hazy.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

OrganicRobot posted:

Like many other bands mentioned on this thread, Ween happens to be very consistent, but your best bet would be Chocolate and Cheese coupled with The Mollusk. Both albums show off almost as many genres as tracks and are catchy to boot, but if you can only have one, go with The Mollusk (which might be my favorite album of all time). From their go either direction, though you might want to come back to 12 Country Greats after White Pepper and Quebec. Everything from Pure Guava back is excellent but extremely weird and less accessible than their middle couple albums. The only album you should watch out for is their second: The Pod. It is weird as gently caress but not horrible, just so sooo murky and hazy.

Yeah, while The Pod is by far my favorite Ween album, it's probably their weirdest album by a long shot, and definitely not a good place to start. Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree that either Chocolate and Cheese or The Mollusk is the best place to start things off (though maybe quebec wouldn't make a bad starting point either, now that I think about it).

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Deerhoof?

Iced Earth?

Blind Guardian? (I have Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera. Both incredible.)

Cynic?

Animal Collective? I hate MPP except for the singles. Does all their stuff sound like new age Beach Boys with annoying synth loops?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you like Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, get the Demons & Wizards (collaboration of the leaders of those bands) self-titled.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

TheNintenGenius posted:

(though maybe quebec wouldn't make a bad starting point either, now that I think about it).

Quebec is good, but I've always found it top-heavy as opposed to Chocolate and Cheese/The Mollusk.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

the Bunt posted:

Animal Collective? I hate MPP except for the singles. Does all their stuff sound like new age Beach Boys with annoying synth loops?

The synth loops are a pretty new addition to Animal Collective. Up until Strawberry Jam, they had little to no electronics and focused more on an organic freak-folk sound. You might like Feels, even though it tends to meander, it's practically as analog and freewheeling as AC could get. Here Comes the Indian/Danse Manatee/Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished are about as opposite as you could get compared to MPP, but are extremely experimental and challenging (as in Danse's and HCTI's case).

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

the Bunt posted:

Deerhoof?

Either Apple O' or The Runners Four, I'd say.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

the Bunt posted:

Iced Earth?

Something Wicked This Way Comes

quote:

Cynic?

They only have two albums....

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Dang, and they've been around since the early 90s? And that didn't help much. Which album is better?

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

Frog Strips posted:

This isn't really what the thread is for, but I've started listening to MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask was great, the references to AQHF were kinda corny, and I really, really liked Mm Food.

I've noticed he's done ten million different collaborations and projects with one hundred million other people. For those of you who've heard a lot of his material, what do you think it worth picking up or locating.

From a few pages back; there's a couple of worthwhile songs on Nastrodoomus, his collaboration with Nas. My personal favorite is [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs5vpagu8pI]life we chose[/b], which is the lyrics to nas's Life We Chose over the beats for Next Levels, or arrowroot if you're going by the special herbs names. Overall though, Def vs. Doom is in my opinion his best collaboration.

For direct content, where should i start with Apples in Stereo? I've only listened to Same Old Drag off New Magnetic Wonder and I love it, but I'm overwhelmed by the number of albums they have out.

Also, Common.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Alright... I'll say it.

Where do I start with Madonna?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

spouse posted:

Alright... I'll say it.

Where do I start with Madonna?

Her best album is Like a Prayer. But you could probably just get one or two of the many hits compilations and be done with it. The non-singles are rarely worthwhile.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

FitFortDanga posted:

Her best album is Like a Prayer. But you could probably just get one or two of the many hits compilations and be done with it. The non-singles are rarely worthwhile.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

zacpol posted:

For direct content, where should i start with Apples in Stereo? I've only listened to Same Old Drag off New Magnetic Wonder and I love it, but I'm overwhelmed by the number of albums they have out.

If you like that song go with New Magnetic Wonder. All of their stuff is great 60's through 70's style pop, but NMW is definitely a ton more accessible.

Feb 8, 2008

the Bunt posted:

Deerhoof?

Blind Guardian? (I have Nightfall in Middle Earth and A Night at the Opera. Both incredible.)

Imaginations from the Other Side, is in my opinion, a tie with Nightfall as far as their best album. Definitely check it out

Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales from the Twilight World are both excellent early albums that really show what the band has become. Though the production on the earlier stuff is a bit lacking.

I have not listened to the first two BG albums, Battalions of Fear and Follow the blind.

I would recommend also getting the incredibly good live album from 2003, as it covers some of their earlier songs. Also the last recorded performance of their long time drummer.

The newest album A Twist in the Myth is a bit on the... over produced side, but still has some excellent stuff on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Where do I start with Ennio Morricone? The guy has so much stuff out I don't really know what to do. Even his list of compilations is like 3 pages long.

I'm most interested in the "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" type stuff, and his songs in Inglorious Bastards really impressed me as well.

So his western music I guess, and any other stuff if its really amazing. Hopefully that's not too general.