Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I thought I had a job lined up in the tech division of a bank for this summer, but apparently "Reply back with times you can come in for an interview" really means "We might give you an interview, we might not." :iiam:

Here goes.

My experience: High school/1st year university computer courses. Basic C knowledge, some Java knowledge, familiar with linux and windows on a personal computer basis. Working knowledge of PC hardware.
What I'm looking for: A summer job. Anything remotely related to the field. Maybe part time into the 2010-2011 school year, but not necessarily.
What I'm NOT looking for: Full time past August '10, since I will have school
Where I live: Toronto, Canada
Where I'm looking: Toronto, Canada
When I can start: End of April/early May
Requirements: Monetary compensation. That's about it.
Can be reached via: This thread, paul.the.edwards at gmail dot com

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

I'm currently employed, and have a diverse and unique skillset.

My experience: 5 years as lead technical sales support and IT handyman for an independent manufacturers' representative in the pro audio industry. This job has been a mixture of sales and customer relations with an established clientelle. It has required a strong understanding of products from over 12 manufacturers, and mastery of troubleshooting and problem solving techniques to assist contractors, consultants and integrators with specifying, installation and use of our products.

As IT handyman I have built and maintained the company's server which hosts our documents and technical resources, and have been the sole resource for our technical marketing needs including web presence, email marketing, and maintaining documents available on our server via FTP.

I'm also an inventor and have developed and brought to market a product marketed to performing electronic musicians. From scratch using no pre-existing kits I developed the concept, built two prototypes, researched a supply chain and began production and marketing. To date I have sold 25 units and have recouped my initial investments plus profit. You can learn more by visiting http://www.colorsynth.com.

Education: BA in Electronic Music awarded by a CSU.

What I'm looking for: A challenge that requires inventive solutions and creativity derived from multiple disciplines. I have supported server clusters, written code, done PCB layout, installed large sound systems into night clubs, coordinated supply chains and demand planning, and much more.

What I'm NOT looking for: Customer service that isn't based on building long-term relationships and partnerships. My sales experience has been in actual sales where the more I help my clients the more they re-sell my product vs my competitors' equivalent.

Where I live: Oakland, CA.

Where I'm looking: East bay, reasonable (< 40 min) commute.

When I can start: Depends on the offer, but am currently employed and would always give ample notice to any employer (2-4 weeks).

Requirements: Full time employment with competitive salary.

Can be reached via: email - eric (at) timeline85 (doc) com, or PM

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Looking for someone with experience with Sitecore CMS, preferably in the central Texas area. Even some leads on potential contacts would help. Thanks!

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top
a

stuph fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 2, 2021

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs
I'm multi-talented :v:, I'll advertise each of my specialties.

About me: I'm currently employed full-time as a Solaris/Linux sysadmin and part-time as a PHP web application developer. I volunteer for the QuakeCon organization doing Python development and administering on-site network services.
Where I live: Manhattan, KS

Specialty 1:

My experience: Four years supporting Solaris and Linux systems in HA/load-balanced environment, dev/test/prod tiers, associated services
What I'm looking for: Working in an active environment with cool people who can communicate well and enjoy doing the job right on the first try
What I'm NOT looking for: Another incredibly boring job working with tinfoil-hat "back in my day, we didn't have tab completion" old farts
Where I'm looking: Kansas City, KS/MO area
Requirements: Insurance, 401k, salary that indicates you value my skills

Specialty 2:

My experience: Two years developing applications in Python/Turbogears; PHP/CodeIgniter/Doctrine for that last few months
What I'm looking for: Part-time contract developing webapps (preferably Python, PHP with CodeIgniter or Symphony would be okay too) with a competent PM who coordinates and communicates well; would consider full-time in the area
What I'm NOT looking for: Joining a startup like the one I'm working for now with an owner who thinks loving code gnomes come out at night to finish absurdly time-constrained projects
Where I'm looking: Telecommute; would consider full-time in Kansas City, KS/MO area
Requirements: Good hourly rate for telecommute; as above for full-time

Why you should hire me: Because I'm talented, I'm the best communicator you will ever work with, and I'm a pretty cool dude.
How you can contact me: PM me here

Yes, I'm a little snippy, both jobs are pissing me off right now. :smith:

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
My experience: Five years of desktop support at a medium sized university. Typical Windows and Macintosh end user hardware/software/network support. I have a home Linux hobby and some hands-on Cisco experience through an internship and a bit at my current job. I have a Network+, looking to grab a CCENT here shortly.

What I'm looking for: Full-time helpdesk with the opportunity to advance, or Jr. level network admin with Linux or Cisco focuses.

What I'm NOT looking for: Phone monkey work.

Where I live: Southwest Florida

Where I'm looking: Pretty much anywhere.

When I can start: I graduate college in late April, so early May.

Requirements: Health insurance, the opportunity to advance.

Can be reached via: This thread, splayde at gmail dot com

Dreadite fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 4, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

We filled the position we had open, unfortunately didn't hire a goon.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Thanks!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 17, 2019

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Sorry if this is off-topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I have an interview coming up and I'm not 100% sure I want to go.

Pretend you're a corporate recruiter for a large company. What would your first impression be if you looked at a candidate's resume, and the most recent position was with a company associated with illegal P2P file-sharing and related lawsuits?

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

Misogynist posted:

Pretend you're a corporate recruiter for a large company. What would your first impression be if you looked at a candidate's resume, and the most recent position was with a company associated with illegal P2P file-sharing and related lawsuits?

You'd probably stand out as interesting, I'd book you for an interview, and then I'd probably throw you some ethics related curve balls and see how you handled them. Your past position probably wouldn't be detrimental to how you were evaluated.

Then again, I have no background with corporations, or even hiring anyone for that matter, so there's that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread. I have an interview coming up and I'm not 100% sure I want to go.

I wouldn't think it's a big deal; I work at a sleazeball company right now and I didn't know how bad it was until I had been here for a few months. I think there are other people that understand that. People gotta make money somehow and sometimes the only job out there sucks.

For clarity: they used to sell oxycontin online.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

rt4 posted:

People gotta make money somehow and sometimes the only job out there sucks.
Yeah, but it's not the only job out there by a long shot. I'm still employed, and I'm up for a number of other positions as well. The only reason I'm still considering it in spite of my image concerns is that this company actually sounds like a reasonably nice environment, IT-wise. I just don't want to damage my career down the road.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Misogynist posted:

When you say "associated with", are you talking past tense or current? Neither case would prevent me from bringing you in for an interview (assuming you meet the qualifications, natch), but they would determine some of the questions I asked you during the interview. If it was a company still associated with these types of activities at the time of the interview, I'd definitely throw some ethics curveballs at you like emoltra said and see how you handled them. If it was a company like Napster that went legit, I wouldn't think much of it unless I saw you had been there during the transition. In that case, I'd probably ask a few general questions about what it was like working there during that time.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

We've filled our position, so you can take 'er down boss.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Just wanted to mention the thread I have in A/T about contractor jobs in Afghanistan.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3277682

The company I'm working for has a ton of openings for SATCOM/basic networking/basic CJ type work. To explain it in as few words as possible, there's me and another IT guy on this FOB, and we support everything from the satellite dish down. Easiest way to apply would be to pm me a resume or email it to me at jbsnyder at drs-ds.com

edit
Email address changed.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 12, 2010

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
My experience: 2 years Desktop/Server support for SME companies, now working as a Customer Engineer / 1-2nd line support for the mining cluster in South Africa, including the Anglo Gold and Anglo Platinum corporations.
Qualifications: A+, N+, Linux+, MCSE 2003, *Writing CCNA in a few weeks*
What I'm looking for: Skillset growth and challenging work.
Where I live: Johannesburg, South Africa (Will relocate)
Where I'm looking: Anything in the States or Canada.
When I can start: 2-3 Months.
Requirements: Permanent Position, a company willing to sponsor my Visa.
Can be reached via: PM, bloupotlood@gmail.com

RGBRIOT
Apr 19, 2009

"Beauty, packaged for a digital world."
I'm decently well off in my current employment, but I'm looking for a bigger challenge.

Previous Work Experience:
- Owned and operated my own freelance business specializing in customization/construction of PC's, web design, and tech support for windows 2000-XP-Vista issues.
- Have also worked as a technician laying cat5 cable, setting up servers, and phone lines. Local company by the name of Ravitron.
- Worked for Chemical Bank Shoreline (before merger finished) setting up their website and interoffice servers. Also helped implement their new advertisement roll out. (Think Chemical Bank logo/adverts around 03-04) Before leaving I was also tapped to do tech work such as but not limited to Ghosting computers, repairs, and upgrading Hardware/Software.
Applicable Skillset:
- Knowledge of HTML(advanced), Javascript(intermediate), PHP(intermediate), Perl(intermediate), C/C++(basic), MySQL(basic)
- Detailed understanding of networking (CCNA certified), windows platform(s), Virus Removal, PC hardware.
- Self taught and motivated
- Works well alone or in groups, with or with our supervision
- Great attendance record
- Customer Service oriented
What I'm looking for:
Any sort of IT, web/graphic design, or technician work.
Where I live:
South West Michigan. I am willing to travel, but as of the moment am unable to relocate. This could change for the right job opportunity.
When I can start:
Any time.
Requirements:
An income higher than 25,000/year, and a chance to move up the corporate/business ladder
Why you should hire me:
I just started my own family, I am sincerely driven to provide for them. I have good ethics, and am very dependable.
You can reach me via:
PM's, email (Jamesbrow2000 AT Gmail DOT com)

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009

Pudgygiant posted:

Just wanted to mention the thread I have in A/T about contractor jobs in Afghanistan.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3277682

The company I'm working for has a ton of openings for SATCOM/basic networking/basic CJ type work. To explain it in as few words as possible, there's me and another IT guy on this FOB, and we support everything from the satellite dish down. Easiest way to apply would be to pm me a resume or email it to me at jbsnyder at drs-defensesolutions.com

Let me know if you need anything else from us.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Misogynist posted:

I wouldn't care unless my client cared about such a background. Most of the time, recruiters seem to be more concerned about the candidate's fit according to the job description and move onto cultural / personal fit afterward. Almost everyone that survived the dot com era worked for a company involved in some level of scandal. Hell, the company I'm with now had some problems with the old CEO being a shithead.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I literally had the question "how would you troubleshoot a problem?" in a phone interview with another company today. You can't even make this poo poo up.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
** Edit New positions!

I have an opening at my company for a "Senior Network Engineer!" In Chicago, IL.

http://interactivedata.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=85325.viewjobdetail&CID=85325&JID=118853&int=0

It's quite a demanding position, working with a talented bunch of guys supporting a low latency trading environment across the planet.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 21, 2012

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
My experience: 4 years of Tech Support for Arizona State University, the last two of which are dedicated deskside work for Faculty.
What I'm looking for: I'd like to keep working in deskside, mostly as I don't have the skills to do dev or web work. I'd love to work someplace where there's a little more responsibility, i.e. actually having some input on general IT policy. Working at a major university tends to keep peons away from the actual decisions.
What I'm NOT looking for: Helldesk. I did 1 month on phones out of deperation. Never again.
Where I live: (currently) Tempe, AZ
Where I'm looking: Champaign-Urbana, IL
When I can start: June-ish? My current position ends this May, and my fiancee starts Grad School there sometime in August.
Requirements: I like money. Some health insurance would be nice. I'll consider anything from 24k/yr on up.
Can be reached via: This thread, PM, AIM (sadocfaustus), email (b.hammerslag@gmail.com)

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
What a great idea for a thread!

My company is currently hiring for some short-term contract work in the Minneapolis, MN area, but I may be flexible to somebody close by (I will not drive to Eau Claire).

What I'm looking for:Somebody with knowledge of PHP, MySQL, Javascript, HTML, all the good ones. Specifically in the field of creating a shopping cart system for an e-commerice website, admin database, etc.
Timeframe:As soon as possible, the snow is melting and its time to get to work!
Compensation:I'd like to discuss more of specific skills and what you can do before we discuss pay, really. It would be a temporary contract job, but it may lead to a part-time, full-time employment if the chips fall right. I'm pretty flexible and want to make sure you are getting properly compensated for your time and efforts.
Contact: ME @ tibbkamp@gmail.com . I'll give out my phone to any local goons who'd need it, but I get enough strangers calling me and breathing heavily as it is.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
What the hey, lets see if anything comes of this:

My experience: 6 Years of Professional development, mostly in PHP. I'm currently the lead technical for australia's largest independant advertising agency, and before that I helped build online games for TV shows. Work of mine has won big awards like BAFTA's and Emmy's. Considering the standard caliber of php 'coders' I typically interview, I'm some kind of super genius. (My point being I'm a programmer proper, not your average backyard php idiot)
What I'm looking for: A position in a company that knows the meaning of employee retention incentives, rather than 'why do you not work unpaid overtime, you terrible employee'. Alternatively, I do a lot of freelance. If you need it coded, I can help you out.
What I'm NOT looking for: Soulless cubicle farm work.
Where I live: Fortitude Valley, Brisbane.
Where I'm looking: Primarily around where I live, but I could be convinced to work elsewhere / telecommute.
When I can start: After notice to current employer for fulltime, immediately (pending) on freelance.
Can be reached via: PM

My Resume is available, just ask.

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009
My company will have a Junior Firewall Admin position opening in about a month. This position is in South Central PA, New Cumberland to be exact.

What we are looking for:
Someone with a Clearance, at least a Secret, will require a TS eventually, some customer service skills, Networking skills, and prior knowledge of firewalls would be helpful

Certs: Sec + will be required eventually, CISSP preferred

Pay: Will be negotiated with hiring manager

Benefits: Usual, health, dental, 401k, 30 days PDO

Duration: On a 6 month extension, 5 year contract to be awarded after ( no guarantees, but its looking good)

Questions: PM me or email me at jfolivas at gmail dot com

Puredeath fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 16, 2010

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Puredeath posted:

My company will have a Junior Firewall Admin position opening in about a month.

What we are looking for:
Someone with a Clearance, at least a Secret, will require a TS eventually, some customer service skills, Networking skills, and prior knowledge of firewalls would be helpful

Certs: Sec + will be required eventually, CISSP preferred

Pay: Will be negotiated with hiring manager

Benefits: Usual, health, dental, 401k, 30 days PDO

Duration: On a 6 month extension, 5 year contract to be awarded after ( no guarantees, but its looking good)

Questions: PM me or email me at jfolivas at gmail dot com
What's the location?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

brc64 posted:

What's the location?

South Central PA, according to the thread he accidentally posted.

Puredeath
Sep 25, 2009
Yea, post updated!

Superkroot
Aug 5, 2009
I'm about to graduate, so I think it would be best if I got myself out there.

My experience: C/C++(advanced),C#(intermediate), Python(intermediate), SQL(intermediate), .NET framework (intermediate), ASP.NET(intermediate). I worked at State Farm's California Operations Center for a time as a End User Computing Analyst where I helped program in-house web apps which involved using C#, ASP.NET, and Microsoft SQL Server 2005. I have strong logic skills and can pick up new things quickly.

What I'm looking for: Any sort of entry-level full-time software development position. I'm very much interested in getting into the video game industry, but have no problems with working outside of it.

Where I am: Bakersfield, CA

Where I am looking: Anywhere away from Bakersfield, preferably in CA, OR, or WA.

Can be reached via: jgrasty25 at gmail dot com

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Edit: Position filled

Cavepimp fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 4, 2010

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Wanted: candidates for ms & linux field support in a military environment.

*top secret clearance required
*broad general knowledge of operating systems & networking

piss boner fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2012

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs

slimteufel posted:

Wanted: candidates for ms & linux field support (military).

*top secret clearance required
*broad working knowledge of operating systems & networking
*locations: Ft Bragg, Ft Campbell, Ft Drum, Ft Gordon

berisf0rd at gmail d0t c0m (relplace 0 with o) for more info.

I figure you would have listed it, but I'll take a shot... any positions at Ft Riley?

Helmet Jap
Dec 25, 2004

Noeeee!
Jappu Trappuu!
I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have couple questions:

I recently had an interview with small IT consulting firm. They liked me enough that I believe I will be interviewing with the CEO of the company.
1. What sort of questions should I be prepared for?
2. What sort of questions are appropriate for him? I already am gonna ask things like the direction company is headed and what sort of growth the company is expecting.

I also signed up for a job fair at Penn State University. It is a big one. What kind of things (other than applying to open positions I found out through the companies' websites.) that will increase my chance of getting an interview?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Helmet Jap posted:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I have couple questions:

I recently had an interview with small IT consulting firm. They liked me enough that I believe I will be interviewing with the CEO of the company.
1. What sort of questions should I be prepared for?
2. What sort of questions are appropriate for him? I already am gonna ask things like the direction company is headed and what sort of growth the company is expecting.

I also signed up for a job fair at Penn State University. It is a big one. What kind of things (other than applying to open positions I found out through the companies' websites.) that will increase my chance of getting an interview?
Depends on the position in question. If you can't elucidate the 7 layers of the OSI model at the drop of a hat though, you may be in trouble. I've known more than a few IT people who've been blindsided by that in an interview, because they promptly forgot it when they got out of school.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

coyo7e posted:

Depends on the position in question. If you can't elucidate the 7 layers of the OSI model at the drop of a hat though, you may be in trouble. I've known more than a few IT people who've been blindsided by that in an interview, because they promptly forgot it when they got out of school.

Really? All 7 layers of a model that every book I've read on the subject says is academic bullshit?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I use the OSI model as a mental construct for troubleshooting every day (and I think coyo7e is trolling you). That said, I don't think a CEO is going to ask you nitty gritty tech questions. He probably wants to know who you are, what you can do, if you're worth the money and if you'll make a good impression on his clients. This is a good thread for interviewers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2000929

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I've been asked to name and explain the 7 layers of the OSI model on a job interview before but I'm not sure how common it is. That particular interview had a lot of technical questions though like explaining how buffer overflows work etc.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bossy lady posted:

I've been asked to name and explain the 7 layers of the OSI model on a job interview before but I'm not sure how common it is. That particular interview had a lot of technical questions though like explaining how buffer overflows work etc.

I ask stupid technical questions like this when I do tech interviews, usually I'm just trying to find out if you're going to bullshit me when you don't have an answer off the top of your head. Also it tells me if you're able to use logic and questions to figure something out.

Though that's only a small part of the questions I'd ask during a technical interview, mostly it's just simple stuff about common features and how they work in servers, routers, switches and firewalls. I expect people to be excited about these topics and share a lot more than just an answer to my questions.

If you have an interview with the CEO just expect him to get a feeling of who you are, unless it's a super super tiny company the CEO wouldn't be doing the technical part of the interview. Be conversational and make him like you.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

MaberMK posted:

I figure you would have listed it, but I'll take a shot... any positions at Ft Riley?

Nope. It's the weirdest thing. Why not live somewhere warm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaberMK
Feb 1, 2008

BFFs

slimteufel posted:

Nope. It's the weirdest thing. Why not live somewhere warm?

Because I'm tied to the area for the time being. :smith:

Thanks for getting back to me though. :)