Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fix posted:

:awesome:

So, just thraka green wash over silver basecoat? Or is it a wash and/or glaze of green paint? I kinda want to steal this for my Salamanders that I will never paint. :v:

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Fix, absolutely beautiful. I really REALLY like the green.

PV, jesus christ that is an insane commission.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Dammit, Fix, I didn't need a reason to get back into 40K.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Thanks, guys. It's an "aluminum" spray from Home Depot, wash Badab, a few coats of Thraka, and the gold is FW gold ink washed with sepia.

You can't really see it in still photos, but I hit the force weapon with a sheen of Liquitex Interference Violet, which give it a bit of a cool rippling light effect when you move your head. I've been looking for something to use that stuff on, and I think this will be it.

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks
Cross posting from the Oath thread.

I've been painting the odd Space Wolf model here and there, but this is definitely the one I am most happy with so far!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

anarchywrksbest posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread.

I've been painting the odd Space Wolf model here and there, but this is definitely the one I am most happy with so far!

This looks like a very happy dreadnaught. Its as if he's bounding up to someone to show him what he's just found :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PaintVagrant posted:

SW biker wips:

Looking good. Out of interest, how are you doing the grey ? It looks similar to what I'm doing on my march oath (1:1 wolf : shadow) but with a hint more grey and less blue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

By the by, I strongly recommend Imperial Armour - Model Masterclass Volume One. It's an absolute goldmine of tips for doing all kinds of cool stuff with GW paints, airbrushes, and various more esoteric ingredients.

Note: It's not an instruction book, it's a pretty pictures with tips book. Get it regardless, it's brilliant.

Also, get back your powerarmoured rapey joe av.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Note: It's not an instruction book, it's a pretty pictures with tips book. Get it regardless, it's brilliant.

If you guys want some decent tips on esoteric painting and techniques, you should really avoid the dedicated warhammer forums (outside SA of course) and lurk around sites dedicated to armor and figure painting. Tons of tips and techniques for free. (the MIG forums for example)

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Dr. Phildo posted:

Hey alcyon,

Did you get that kit from ebay or a for-reals store? I've been looking at that figure for a little while, and the others - It's from Maschinen Krieger, right?

You're paint job is fantastic so far
Unfortunately Real brick-and-morter stores are all dead and gone where I live, but I was lucky enough to buy the figure in Japan. (I have the other chick with the clip board as well) I assume Ebay prizes are quite excessive(?)these days as it was a very limited run (less than a 1000 cast if I am not mistaken).

Cool you like Ma.K as well! You might want to check out the 'we-do-it-for-the-inhalents' thread in the DIY subforum in CC. I posted a WIP of large Machinen Krieger kit there. Hope you like it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

alcyon posted:

If you guys want some decent tips on esoteric painting and techniques, you should really avoid the dedicated warhammer forums (outside SA of course) and lurk around sites dedicated to armor and figure painting. Tons of tips and techniques for free. (the MIG forums for example)

Care to link a few of your top sites?

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

!amicable posted:

Her head is also loving gigantic, making her look more baby like.

Could you elaborate on the enamel stuff?
The head is about 1/8 of her body, normal i guess.

Ummm, the enamel (well actually lacquer) technique is a bit tough to explain. Best thing would be to post a picture or two, but i am not really comfortable posting other peoples work without their permission, I'll ask...

But simplest way to explain in words: Imagine an impressionistic painting, different colors and tones close to each other creating one unified field of color.
Imagine painting the surface of a tank just like that. A green rhino fe., instead of just using one olive color as a base multiple colors are used: olive, dark green, grey, some rusty red etc. All are blended together to form one surface. The greys and reds aren't really apparent anymore but are still there.

On top of that surface oils for shades and weathering are applied. The end result has much more depth than just a flat base color.

Not sure if I was clear enough. Did that make any sense?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

alcyon posted:

Makes sense I guess, but as an introduction to more advanced military modelling style techniques it's pretty good. Everything is written out with the knowledge that the reader is coming from the GW paint range which I'm finding particularly helpful.

Plus it has lots of pictures of things painted by Phil Stutcinskas, which is always nice.

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Care to link a few of your top sites?

Sure dude:

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=20
the mig forums are awesome. Some SERIOUS talent there.
I urge you all to browse it for a few hours. Required reading class!

http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.htm
Filters, washes and pigments, by mig himself.

http://www.rbadesign.net/TERRAPIN/index.html
Old dudes building boring trains and poo poo... but with such insane detail.

http://resinilluminati.com/
Builders of awesome sfici 'garage kits'. Most of the forums closed for visitors due to trolling.

http://www.therpf.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10&order=desc
Scratch builders of film props. Huge hyper accurate X-wings, At-Ats and such. Builders on this site often spend years on one project. Skilled nerds with way too much time and money. Utter, utter insanity, but really cool. They really dislike newcomers with out skill or knowhow, so be warned. (I love the place).

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/model-gallery/
Micheal Fichtenmayer. Does alot of animu crap on commission, but has some serious skills. Great WIP and tips hidden all over the site. (check out his rusty desert scopedog, it's so cool.)

http://www.armorama.com/
Mostly tanks. The site is a bit of a mess, but if you are patient there are tons of goodies.

Dutch armor building forum. Even though you prob. can't read a word of it. But a few of the regulars there are really good:
http://www.twenot-forums.nl/viewtopic.php?t=16146&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

http://www.hfmodeling.com/
Figure painting. Great forum and great tutorials to make your eyes bleed with envy.

uggh, there's tons more cool links....

alcyon fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Looking good. Out of interest, how are you doing the grey ? It looks similar to what I'm doing on my march oath (1:1 wolf : shadow) but with a hint more grey and less blue.

Codex + Shadow

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

SW biker wips:

I think they look like poo poo. :smug:

But really though, they look hella nice. I just don't like the traditional Blue-Grey SW look.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

I think they look like poo poo. :smug:

But really though, they look hella nice. I just don't like the traditional Blue-Grey SW look.

Id probably go more grey/charcoal myself, but the client sent a model to get color matched (its that 2nd edition marine in one of the pics, the one w no arms)

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

Id probably go more grey/charcoal myself, but the client sent a model to get color matched (its that 2nd edition marine in one of the pics, the one w no arms)

You seem to do a lot of commission work -and quite skillfully I may add. Doesn't that get boring after a while? The lack of freedom I mean. I did some scatchbuilt commission work myself but was always rather frustrated by the leash and the lack of freedom. How do you balance time spend on commissions and your own models/projects?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

alcyon posted:

You seem to do a lot of commission work -and quite skillfully I may add. Doesn't that get boring after a while? The lack of freedom I mean. I did some scatchbuilt commission work myself but was always rather frustrated by the leash and the lack of freedom. How do you balance time spend on commissions and your own models/projects?

I barely work on anything of my own anymore, and when I do its doing concept art for my game or drawing/painting/non-mini related stuff.

And I like to eat, sooooo

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

PaintVagrant posted:

I barely work on anything of my own anymore....

That's a real shame. But the food/bills bit is understandable

Is any of your other 2D work posted in CC? i'd like to see some work you did for yourself without any obligations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey clever modelling folk

I'm just finishing up my first four ever Blood Angels, what colours do you think I should go for with the basing?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm a fan of the generic GW graveyard earth rim with light brown top.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

alcyon posted:

Sure dude:

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=20
the mig forums are awesome. Some SERIOUS talent there.
I urge you all to browse it for a few hours. Required reading class!

The guys who wrote the FW Masterclass book post here. Great forum.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ineptmule posted:

Hey clever modelling folk

I'm just finishing up my first four ever Blood Angels, what colours do you think I should go for with the basing?

GOBLIN GREEN WITH GOBLIN GREEN FLOCK

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ineptmule posted:

BA armour is pretty bright, I think dark grey/dark brown bases with black rims are the way to go.

Captain Invictus posted:

rockin goblin green like its 1992 woop woop

edit: goblin green was loving awesome in its day because it was basically like the current foundation paints and would cover anything

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cross Postin' from the Oath Thread

I'm not really crazy about it. Plain Dreads are kind of boring to paint, but he gets the job done.

Edit: White balanced. Thanks Richyp.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 13, 2010

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hell Diver posted:

Cross Postin' from the Oath Thread

I'm not really crazy about it. Plain Dreads are kind of boring to paint, but he gets the job done.

I really like your Space Wolves, you have a very recognisable style. Also I recommend to anyone to install the GIMP and do "Auto White Balance" on your pictures for a slight colour improvement, e.g:

Before:

After:

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

richyp posted:

advice

Oh wow, never knew gimp had an auto white balance. That works a treat, thanks!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress that poo poo, slap some sand down, paint it goblin green, then drybrush with a mix of sunburst yellow and goblin green. That's how the PROS do it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

alcyon posted:

That's a real shame. But the food/bills bit is understandable

Is any of your other 2D work posted in CC? i'd like to see some work you did for yourself without any obligations.

Ive got some post art-school poo poo here, its a lot of pretty much non-representational stuff, but whatevs

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/low%20art%20implosion%20site/?start=0

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can you guys tell me the various methods you use to paint metal on vehicles? Right now I'm going boltgun, silver drybrush, badab wash, devlan wash and I'm not happy with the result. The washes look like poo poo on the large metal plates.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you guys tell me the various methods you use to paint metal on vehicles? Right now I'm going boltgun, silver drybrush, badab wash, devlan wash and I'm not happy with the result. The washes look like poo poo on the large metal plates.

This is so true. I used my normal inks for undercoating my BloodCrushers, and even those had huge issues with the shoulder plates.

I usually just do it all by hand as if it were a marine or whatever. It's sort of tedious if you don't get good paint coverage, but otherwise it's faster than a marine since you have so much more room to work around and there is less crowding. What are you trying to paint silver? Very few vehicles are actually silver.

Also drybrushing a flat surface will look lovely. You need to layer it. Start with Boltgun, try to wash it if you can, if not don't bother and just cover it with a thin layer of boltgun, you just need a darkish base. After that do like 50:50 mith silver then just pure mith for final highlight.

You can mess with the ratios and other stuff, but that will make it look decentish (maybe?).

If I finish my chariot dude tomorrow I'll post that-he is riding a silver Piranha.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Metals

A variation I use often is to paint the area in a flat colour first and highlight, e.g. dark grey and grey highlights, then paint a couple of very thin layers of the metal (using an acylic thinner helps here) over it so the base shows through.

Grey/Light Grey makes a good Steel
Black-Grey/Grey makes a nice Iron
Brown/Yellow works well for Gold
Brown/Orange for a rusty base (ork style)

Here's an example from ages ago:

Take a look at the power klaw, the flat areas where painted with a brown (probably snakebite or something), it was then drybrushed with some bleached bone (all in one direction for the appearance of scratches), and the edges were higlighted with bleached bone too.

The thin boltgun glaze was applied over the base colours, and left to dry. Make sure not to let it run in the recesses, if it does use a dry brush to soak up the excess.

Once the glaze is dry, dab some devlan mud over the rivents and inbetween any interconnecting plates etc...

Voila!

For different colurs, use a different base and higlight/drybrush, and maybe use badab black for the black lining. It's really quick, the only downside is the glaze can take a while to dry.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have decided to take a break from failing to paint my oath, and started converting a Defiler into a tiny titan. I feel this is a smart decision. :downs:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Cakefool posted:

I have decided to take a break from failing to paint my oath, and started converting a Defiler into a tiny titan. I feel this is a smart decision. :downs:

Knowing your builds, I can't disagree.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

richyp posted:

A variation I use often is to paint the area in a flat colour first and highlight, e.g. dark grey and grey highlights, then paint a couple of very thin layers of the metal (using an acylic thinner helps here) over it so the base shows through.

Grey/Light Grey makes a good Steel
Black-Grey/Grey makes a nice Iron
Brown/Yellow works well for Gold
Brown/Orange for a rusty base (ork style)

Here's an example from ages ago:

Take a look at the power klaw, the flat areas where painted with a brown (probably snakebite or something), it was then drybrushed with some bleached bone (all in one direction for the appearance of scratches), and the edges were higlighted with bleached bone too.

The thin boltgun glaze was applied over the base colours, and left to dry. Make sure not to let it run in the recesses, if it does use a dry brush to soak up the excess.

Once the glaze is dry, dab some devlan mud over the rivents and inbetween any interconnecting plates etc...

Voila!

For different colurs, use a different base and higlight/drybrush, and maybe use badab black for the black lining. It's really quick, the only downside is the glaze can take a while to dry.

This is a really good idea and is probably OP worthy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Another good way of doing tarnished metal is to paint some rusty colours, then use your finger to rub some graphite onto the raised areas.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Mike Mcvey posted:

Q: In regards to miniature creation, how important do you feel it is to keep the potential painter in mind?
Vital! Miniatures manufacturers sometimes forget the sculpt is not the end product. In my opinion, the end product is the painted miniature on the gaming table, or in a display cabinet. And even the difference between those two ends should influence the way it’s designed. You don’t want to have to paint masses of fine detail on every miniature in a 20 man unit – that just drives you crazy. Equally, if the detail is just so fine and tiny that it becomes difficult and annoying to paint – what’s the point of it being there? These is no point in the sculptor using a magnifying lens to sculpt tiny ‘realistic’ detail, if it’s going to be filled in and obscured with the first application of paint.

This is kind of a pet peeve of mine so sorry if I start to rant. To me there is a definite balance that need to be achieved on a miniature sculpt – the balance between detailed and plain areas. Or the balance between textured and smooth surfaces is another way of putting it. I think a sculpt needs both to be successful in being enjoyable to paint. Finely detailed and beautifully sculpted areas can be picked out – but a lot of the choices have already been made for the painter, so in some ways it can be a largely technical exercise. The open, smooth areas allow the painter to put their own mark on the miniature – and make some of their own artistic decisions. It also allows different sorts of painting on the same miniature.

Amen brother.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Fixed the light box up decently and tweaked my camera. I think I need one with a lower ISO, but this will be fine I guess.

Flesh Eaters own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Those are nice, Fix.

In Nurgle news, a brushed application of matte has fixed my tanks. \o/

• Locked thread