Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Zorak posted:

Such things happen. They're not always curable.
It's more how the situation came about and their attitude towards it that bothers me rather than the point that was being made. "Oh, he gets mysterious fevers quite often but we're not going to bother figuring out what it is until he's dying." Reinhard himself was retarded in this regard, which I guess isn't out of character, but nobody else around him seemed to care enough to intervene either. Not even his wife and closest friends who were played up as so devoted to the empire's prosperity they would risk his wrath to speak against his opinions.

edit: I hate starting new pages, this show is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
So I found this galaxy map that I thought was pretty neat. Not sure if it is canon or not.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Swilo posted:

And I'm sure it's been asked several times already but I couldn't find it at a quick glance and it's not in the OP: What order do the various gaidens and movies go in and which are or aren't subbed yet?
Movie 1 takes place before the series, and in fact was made before the series as well. It's the true "pilot episode" if you will. Most people just watched it after the series because that's when it was subbed. It's called 'My Conquest is the Sea of Stars.'

Movie 2 replaces the first two episodes, providing all kinds of pretty new animation and a slightly reworked plot that makes it flow a bit better. There are some scenes that are lost as a result but I think most would agree that it is ultimately better to watch this movie instead of the first two episodes. It's called 'Overture to a New Battle.'

The Gaidens all take place before the main story, but should be watched after watching the series. Gaiden 1 was 24 episodes long, and Gaiden 2 was 28 episodes long. Currently, only six episodes of Gaiden 2 need to be subbed.

You might get a little confused looking at CA's tracker, since they arbitrarily decided to rename the Gaidens according to the arc # they occurred in (for example, Gaiden 1 on CA's tracker is actually Gaidens 1 through 4 because there were four arcs during that 24 episode stretch). And then when Spiral Labyrinth (28 episode Gaiden 2) rolled around they started using arc names instead.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Swilo posted:

It's more how the situation came about and their attitude towards it that bothers me rather than the point that was being made. "Oh, he gets mysterious fevers quite often but we're not going to bother figuring out what it is until he's dying." Reinhard himself was retarded in this regard, which I guess isn't out of character, but nobody else around him seemed to care enough to intervene either. Not even his wife and closest friends who were played up as so devoted to the empire's prosperity they would risk his wrath to speak against his opinions.

Everyone was worried, but doctors couldn't find out anything, so what are you going to do? Everyone assumed he was just stressed as heck (which was part of why he got so bad), though towards the end everyone was fairly certain things were going badly, but nobody quite knew how.

What are they supposed to do? Backflip out a Window into cureville? Science doesn't just all of a sudden happen because people want it too. We've been pouring over AIDS and Cancer information for a cure for decades and still haven't gotten any closer. Even still, cancer is a fairly good analog, since really, it's a condition that's inherently uncurable. You can cure the symptoms, or try to somehow stop it from forming or attack tumors related, but it's at a fundamental level a matter of genetic instability. To cure it outright would be to try to "fix" the cell reproductive method period, ie, end death / physical aging period.

Some conditions are simply uncurable once they're developed. Reinhard had a genetic condition that nobody had seen before. Keep in mind that all major cures are by and large made on the backs of all of those who died to the diseases.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Zorak posted:

Everyone was worried, but doctors couldn't find out anything, so what are you going to do? Everyone assumed he was just stressed as heck (which was part of why he got so bad), though towards the end everyone was fairly certain things were going badly, but nobody quite knew how.
I got the impression they gave him a quick looking over and decided it wasn't serious despite how frequent it was, and that he tried to hide it from everybody and didn't cooperate when conscious. Obviously they could find out what it was because they eventually did once Mecklinger started choking the guy after Reinhard outright collapsed. It just irritates me that they could have identified it sooner and done something to prolong his life and set the universe in order, I hate when people do incredibly stupid things like that because it's ~THE PLOT~

And believe me, I don't need any lessons on the walls medical science has run into.

Nate RFB posted:

Good info.
So nothing comes after the series? Kind of annoying they don't do batch torrents for the gaidens :raise:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 14, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Swilo posted:

I got the impression they gave him a quick looking over and decided it wasn't serious despite how frequent it was, and that he tried to hide it from everybody and didn't cooperate when conscious. Obviously they could find out what it was because they eventually did once Mecklinger started choking the guy after Reinhard outright collapsed. It just irritates me that they could have identified it sooner and done something to prolong his life and set the universe in order, I hate when people do incredibly stupid things like that because it's ~THE PLOT~

And believe me, I don't need any lessons on the walls medical science has run into.

So nothing comes after the series? Kind of annoying they don't do batch torrents for the gaidens :raise:

They spend literally the last third of the series trying to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with reinhard before ultimately figuring out it was the genetic disorder. It's hard to say they weren't trying because for fucks sake he's the most powerful man in the entire galaxy. They were desperately trying but first they are treating symptoms then they are trying to develop a treatment for a disease they didn't even know existed until shortly before.

More than anything the various gunshot wound deaths bother me more than anything, considering the assurance in an earlier episode that so long as you aren't exploded you are basically curable. Ruental in particular was like "Okay gently caress that you could have done SOMEthing for him.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

DamnGlitch posted:

They spend literally the last third of the series trying to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with reinhard before ultimately figuring out it was the genetic disorder.

More than anything the various gunshot wound deaths bother me more than anything, considering the assurance in an earlier episode that so long as you aren't exploded you are basically curable. Ruental in particular was like "Okay gently caress that you could have done SOMEthing for him.

Maybe you watched a different show than I did, I only remember two or three instances where doctors were actually involved and nobody spoke of it unless he was resting during a battle. During the final battle there was a team on hand and that's when it actually got diagnosed, but before then nothing.

Yeah some of those were annoying. Fodder people go down in one body shot (terraists lol) but people like Reuental and Schenkopp take forever and lose enough blood for ten men. Then Merkatz has a beam fall on his legs and he's done.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2010

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
It's all thematic and emotional and dramatic. Even if someone's injuries "shouldn't have" killed them in the medical climate that you imagine would exist in that universe, that shouldn't really be a concern. People die because they were written to, and that's really all you need when appreciating a dramatic work. You can read into their deaths whatever you want, but it goes against the idea of letting someone else tell you a story to criticize things like that. That's just my opinion and my understanding of the nature of fiction, anyway.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Ruental in particular was like "Okay gently caress that you could have done SOMEthing for him.

Reuenthal could have been saved if he let them give him proper care, but he forced them to keep him sitting and commanding and not let them fully treat him. He didn't care about dying.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

It's all thematic and emotional and dramatic. Even if someone's injuries "shouldn't have" killed them in the medical climate that you imagine would exist in that universe, that shouldn't really be a concern. People die because they were written to, and that's really all you need when appreciating a dramatic work. You can read into their deaths whatever you want, but it goes against the idea of letting someone else tell you a story to criticize things like that. That's just my opinion and my understanding of the nature of fiction, anyway.

Unfortunately that goes counter to the nature of science fiction at times, whose primary purpose is to develop a universe with it's own laws and then function according to them. So when we are told explicitly that people don't die except for extreme cases it's sucky when they do for what seems even to us to be trivial.

Obviously, reuental wanted to die, I'm just saying that they could have easily saved him, and to spend the entire goddamn trip sitting on the bridge not having his life saved is sort of... odd. It's obviously a thematic concern but in terms of timing and the 'physics' of that world he went above and beyond what someone would expect for a person who is injured.

Red got the poo poo killed out of him which made it believable. In other cases it was a slow whithering death which goes against what the show has told us, and that where I take issue, or at least point it out. If they simply hadn't made that assertion, I'd likely be fine (the case of Reuental being an exception because he really did try and kill himself in the end)

The point is you can have thematic deaths, but you should check your continuity if in the FIRST EPISODE you say "yeah people don't just die for the most part"

As for the other part, it's not as if being shot doesn't incapacitate you in LoGh, just that if they get care they probably would be saved. Most of the fodder 'deaths' are fairly sensible (in that it would be unlikely that they would get care in time so you leave them).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

DamnGlitch posted:

Unfortunately that goes counter to the nature of science fiction at times, whose primary purpose is to develop a universe with it's own laws and then function according to them.

Your first mistake is believing that this series is science fiction.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Your first mistake is believing that this series is science fiction.

I'm sorry, are we watching the same show?

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

The point is you can have thematic deaths, but you should check your continuity if in the FIRST EPISODE you say "yeah people don't just die for the most part"

What is this quote you guys are talking about? I don't remember this.

DamnGlitch posted:

I'm sorry, are we watching the same show?

I think his point is that despite using a sci-fi setting its really more of an opera or tragedy. The idea behind sci-fi, as a genre, is examining the implications behind certain advances, whereas technology and space really mean nothing to LoGH and it could be easily presented in other contexts.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Unfortunately that goes counter to the nature of science fiction at times, whose primary purpose is to develop a universe with it's own laws and then function according to them. So when we are told explicitly that people don't die except for extreme cases it's sucky when they do for what seems even to us to be trivial.

Obviously, reuental wanted to die, I'm just saying that they could have easily saved him, and to spend the entire goddamn trip sitting on the bridge not having his life saved is sort of... odd. It's obviously a thematic concern but in terms of timing and the 'physics' of that world he went above and beyond what someone would expect for a person who is injured.

Red got the poo poo killed out of him which made it believable. In other cases it was a slow whithering death which goes against what the show has told us, and that where I take issue, or at least point it out. If they simply hadn't made that assertion, I'd likely be fine (the case of Reuental being an exception because he really did try and kill himself in the end)

As for the other part, it's not as if being shot doesn't incapacitate you in LoGh, just that if they get care they probably would be saved. Most of the fodder 'deaths' are fairly sensible (in that it would be unlikely that they would get care in time so you leave them).

Yes, they could have saved him, but he outright said NO gently caress OFF. What did you expect them to do, badger him across the head and take care of him against his will? He could have gotten some care but he said no. He wanted to die in battle (or from battle, as it were).

Most of the slow deaths are a matter of circumstance.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

What is this quote you guys are talking about? I don't remember this.

I think his point is that despite using a sci-fi setting its really more of an opera or tragedy. The idea behind sci-fi, as a genre, is examining the implications behind certain advances, whereas technology and space really mean nothing to LoGH and it could be easily presented in other contexts.

Well it is manifestly a science fiction show, and goes out of its way to illustrate the consequences of the show even being a space opera / tragedy. Tends of millions of people dying in a single battle being one of the highlights of that, and showing us the horrific reality of that in order to really not let us forget that for all the honor and idealism of a lot of the battles, it still represents a horrible slaughter of more or less innocent people.

To say its not sci fi, or to simply ignore that it has science fiction elements, is almost willfully ignorant. It's not science fiction in the strictest sense, as only a vehicle to examine some scientific idea, but to say the show that takes great lengths to show off and support its futuristic and scientific nature as 'not sci fi' is stupid. Star wars is a mix of sci fi and fantasy, but its still has sci fi elements. Just because LoGH is a wonderful tragedy and drama doesn't mean it stops being a show set in the far off future with delightfully developed science fiction ideas.

FranticDisposition
Mar 9, 2010
After all the praise I've read in this thread, I really want to watch this show. My only problem with such long-running series though is that they almost invariably tend to jump the shark/decline in quality after a while, forcing you to slog through several bad episodes just to satisfy your curiosity about how the story ends, even though you've stopped enjoying the show.

My question before I start watching is: does LoGH do this, or does it really maintain the high quality that everyone in this thread has waxed poetic about through the ENTIRE series? Are all 110 episodes worth watching, or can I watch, say, 1-67 (to pick an arbitrary number) only and then quit without losing any appreciation for the show?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

terrorist plumber posted:

My question before I start watching is: does LoGH do this
Let's ask Dr. Cox

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

There are slow parts, but there is definitely not a jumping the shark moment. If anything, it gets better over time. Basically, any time you get bored, it's not more than a few episodes before it goes to something you like.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

watch 1-81

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

watch 1-81

Don't do that.

Watch the whole thing, it's all good.

Just a little slow in the beginning (though retroactively awesome if you ever go back and rewatch it). The extra episodes after the main series vary in quality, but the series itself is golden all the way through

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I started to lose some interest around 90, but a good part of that was watching an average of 2 hours a day. Obviously some parts are better than others, or you may subjectively find more interesting, but there's no arc I would say is bad or skipable.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Just a little slow in the beginning (though retroactively awesome if you ever go back and rewatch it). The extra episodes after the main series vary in quality, but the series itself is golden all the way through

Overture To a New War should do a lot for the beginning; it smooths things out and makes a lot of stuff a lot clearer a lot earlier.

On that subject, no, it doesn't get worse. It goes through changes, always for the better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

Overture To a New War should do a lot for the beginning; it smooths things out and makes a lot of stuff a lot clearer a lot earlier.

On that subject, no, it doesn't get worse. It goes through changes, always for the better.

Yeah, It's pretty great but the only downside is the animation on that is better than the series in general so it can be jarring. I personally loved watching the first episodes again simply because all of the people you get to know and love are already there for the most part, so the various flashing names that seem impossible to remember actually are like "oh poo poo, it's mittenmyer! Woo!"

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
I am a huge LOGH booster but I can say for sure that while it's consistency is great throughout there might be some plot developments where you say "I respect what they are trying to do here but I find myself enjoying it less" in comparison to most of the series where you are saying "this is loving great".

There is never a moment where you think "man the writing got so much shittier" or "man the executives screwed this show by interfering with it" that many shows run into.

Just watch it and get the gently caress out of this thread lest you get spoiled.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah, It's pretty great but the only downside is the animation on that is better than the series in general so it can be jarring. I personally loved watching the first episodes again simply because all of the people you get to know and love are already there for the most part, so the various flashing names that seem impossible to remember actually are like "oh poo poo, it's mittenmyer! Woo!"

That's true, the show is really strong on the rewatch.

Unmistakeable Fire posted:

I am a huge LOGH booster but I can say for sure that while it's consistency is great throughout there might be some plot developments where you say "I respect what they are trying to do here but I find myself enjoying it less" in comparison to most of the series where you are saying "this is loving great".

There is never a moment where you think "man the writing got so much shittier" or "man the executives screwed this show by interfering with it" that many shows run into.

Just watch it and get the gently caress out of this thread lest you get spoiled.

What parts are you talking about, specifically? I'm just curious.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

sensual benny posted:

That's true, the show is really strong on the rewatch.

What parts are you talking about, specifically? I'm just curious.

Plot developments at about the beginning of season 4 make the show a bit less fun. The show doesn't get bad it is just that it kind of saps the feeling of "ULTIMATE CLASH OF THE TITANS" that I hoped it was building towards. I respect what they were trying to do and where it went afterwards I just liked the first 3/4s of it more.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

watch 1-81

I can't imagine watching LoGH without the ending. Especially the arc right before the immediate end.
Or, what number was it, 83. Which is probably what you're joking about.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gils posted:

I can't imagine watching LoGH without the ending. Especially the arc right before the immediate end.
Or, what number was it, 83. Which is probably what you're joking about.

For me, the series dragged from 85 or so to 104 or so. But those last episodes to wrap things up were fantastic.

Also, how do you not remember it was episode 82? Even if I wanted to forget, that number is burned in my skull forever, like Code Geass 22. Or maybe more like Code Geass 12.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

For me, the series dragged from 85 or so to 104 or so. But those last episodes to wrap things up were fantastic.

Also, how do you not remember it was episode 82? Even if I wanted to forget, that number is burned in my skull forever, like Code Geass 22. Or maybe more like Code Geass 12.

I would link a flag+tear smilie but it would be a spoiler :(

That might be a spoiler so I'll just spoiler it since I am paranoid

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 17, 2010

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Zorak posted:

Ahahaha, noooooooo wayyyyyyyyy.

Good.

I was honestly expecting something along the lines of "Sorry, but you're really in the denouement at this point, it's not all terribly boring though", etc.

So many spoiler tags up there, lol. Would like to finish just so I can read them.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

MoaM posted:

Good.

I was honestly expecting something along the lines of "Sorry, but you're really in the denouement at this point, it's not all terribly boring though", etc.

So many spoiler tags up there, lol. Would like to finish just so I can read them.

What episode are you on? Also please go away until you finish at least episode 90 or something.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

sensual benny posted:

LoGH would actually make a lot more sense if it was about an 18th-century war over Germanic provinces or something. But I guess then even fewer people would watch it

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Hello everyone, our gracious Galactic Hero Heibi himself has decided to bow down to the Blu Ray gods and resub the Blu ray version of the pilot movie My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. I am downloading it as we speak so I can't speak for the quality as of yet, but CA has never done a lovely release so far so I think we can trust it
This first link is the newest Blu Ray rip
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=119822

This second seems to be a regular DVD rip but is somehow bigger due to the mysteries of video encoding.
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=119821

I'll repost this in the recommending Anime thread to encourage newbies.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

but CA has never done a lovely release so far so I think we can trust it

I'd laugh very hard at this, but they didn't encode the Blu-Ray rip themselves, they just muxed their subtitles into it.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'd laugh very hard at this, but they didn't encode the Blu-Ray rip themselves, they just muxed their subtitles into it.

Uh well if you reread my post I didn't actually say that THEY had made the Blu Ray rip... just heavily implied it. In Heibi's post I think he said that it was the QTS rip too. Were their VHS subs really bad or something? Everything I have seen of theirs has been good.

Edit:Got a chance to look at both versions right now. Very spiffy. It's a shame that the old versions make people think that the animation/art is bad cause all the blu ray versions I have seen remind me that this is a very good looking show.

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 20, 2010

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Uh well if you reread my post I didn't actually say that THEY had made the Blu Ray rip... just heavily implied it. In Heibi's post I think he said that it was the QTS rip too. Were their VHS subs really bad or something? Everything I have seen of theirs has been good.

I never said you did. Their DVD rips look like rear end.

Nate RFB posted:

CA is slowly making DVD rips* which do look slightly better, but the originals are fine, especially considering the source.

*In glorious 29.97 fps :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I mean, sure this screencap is better looking than the LD rip version, but I'd love for them to apply their subs to anybody else's video in general.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

AzraelNewtype posted:

I never said you did. Their DVD rips look like rear end.

I mean, sure this screencap is better looking than the LD rip version, but I'd love for them to apply their subs to anybody else's video in general.

Ah ok I get what you mean. Looking at the new DVD rip they did of Conquest I don't see anything too bad. The only weird thing I've noticed about it is in show and that is that Yang's hair color mysteriously switches from brown to blue between his first and second scene.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Just wanted to pipe in and say that this is the greatest anime i have ever seen. I am really retarded cause I distracted myself by watching other tv shows and need to get off my butt and start the second season.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Lets all pitch in and buy the bluray discs and have someone slap subs on them. :v:

We would pay what, 150$ each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Welp, managed to get my little brother hooked on LOGH over break. I showed him My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and then Overture to a New War, after which he asked for the whole series. By far his favorite part was the scene in Overture where Truniht asks Yang about the perfect strategy for war and Yang rips him a new one. Good to see my little bro has some good taste. :unsmith: