Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steerpike
Mar 1, 2002

fiat nox
Fun Shoe
I'm mostly a JRPG & Adventure gamer, and I haven't found anything that really grabbed me in a long time. Here's my list of favorites and flops. Please let me know if anything is missing that you think fits in with my tastes. One thing I noticed while making this list: the games I really loved usually had musical scores that I really loved.

Perfect Games:

Psychonauts
Final Fantasy III/VI
Final Fantasy VII
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Legend of Zelda
LoZ: A Link to the Past
LoZ: Ocarina of Time
LoZ: Majora's Mask
Skies of Arcadia Legends

Great Games:

Final Fantasy II/IV
Lufia I & II
LoZ: Link's Awakening
LoZ: Wind Waker
LoZ: Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Chrono Cross
Monkey Island Series

Fun Games:

Final Fantasy V and VIII through XII
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
Secret of Evermore
Illusion of Gaia
Soul Blazer
King's Quest Series
GB & GBA Zeldas

Meh(felt like a chore to finish or lost interest before finishing):

Dragon Warrior 7 & 8
Tales of Symphonia
Wild Arms 1-2 (Don't remember these clearly, but I did finish them.)
Breath of Fire 1-3 (Don't remember these clearly, but I did finish them.)
Mario RPG & Paper Mario
Final Fantasy Tactics
Sierra and LucasArts other than Monkey Island and King's Quest
7th Saga
DS Zeldas

Steerpike fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Steerpike posted:

I'm mostly a JRPG & Adventure gamer, and I haven't found anything that really grabbed me in a long time. Here's my list of favorites and flops. Please let me know if anything is missing that you think fits in with my tastes. One thing I noticed while making this list: the games I really loved usually had musical scores that I really loved.

Have you tried Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES? It's a Secret of Mana game that didn't get released outside of japan, there's a fan translation for it.
I personally liked it way more than SoM.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've got a rather vague request for ideas, a friend of mine is going through a kind of poo poo time and it helps her relax to watch someone else (me in this case) playing games. She likes watching people play expansive, engaging games, offhand I know she likes stuff like Oblivion or Fallout 3.

So, I'm trying to think of something I can pick up that I'd like to play that she can hang around and watch, I'd prefer an RPG or a actiony game that has a decent plot but isn't a pain in the rear end to play, when games get overly complex with too much poo poo going on at once to manage I tend to get frustrated and lose interest. And I think we'd prefer more of a Western-ish game than a jRPG.

I have a Wii and she has a PS3 and a 360, so any of the big three systems is fine. I was thinking of borrowing Assassin's Creed 2 from my mom to play but I'd like some other ideas since I haven't really been keeping up on releases lately.

I know it's not quite like the games you listed, but in my opinion Resident Evil 4 is fun as hell to watch. You can get the Wii version which is probably the best one.

Canemacar posted:

So after playing Borderlands, I'm in love with the kind of "sci-fi meets the old west" setting. Are there any other games that combine those two elements, preferably with a gritty, run-down atmosphere?

I like to call it Rustpunk. Borderlands pretty much unashamedly rips off of Fallout 3 in terms of atmosphere and the gameplay is pretty similar too, except Fallout 3 is more RPGish, but if you liked one you'll probably like the other.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't there some steampunk-ish game coming for the 360/PC that started as a Quake total conversion? I remember it having a similiar setting to Borderlands.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Demicol posted:

Have you tried Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES? It's a Secret of Mana game that didn't get released outside of japan, there's a fan translation for it.
I personally liked it way more than SoM.

I did too back in my anime-lovin' days, but my otaku buddy who is obsessed with JRPGs absolutely LOATHES it. I dunno, maybe if you're a hardcore fan of SoM it's a horrible desecration, or something.

There are also a few things you need to know about it first regarding class builds and difficulty settings, because it's entirely possible to gimp your game.

Steerpike: Play the Persona games goddammit. 3 and 4 are considered masterpieces of the genre, and the music is loving badass. I say this as someone who loathes jrpgs but is compelled to play them for some reason, so my standards are pretty high.

Gormenghast fans represent :buddy:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 8, 2010

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
This might be a bit obscure, but are there any games with a similar mechanism to the Castle Fight warcraft3 mod? I like the idea of a basebuilding rts that focuses on broad strategic direction, without unit micromanagement (or preferably with automatically spawning and fighting units). I had a blast playing castle fight years ago, but I seem to have since lost my CDs. If you happen to know of flash or free games or other mods that are similar, that's fine too!

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I guess I'm not looking for suggestions on possible choices, but rather advice for/against a particular choice.

I've been playing GTA: SA for probably close to a year now since I bought it on Steam, and it's honestly one of the best games I've played. It's fun, funny, and entertaining, especially when you download an editor or two and make crazy supervehicles that you can use to plow everything off the road while going 150mph, turn on a dime and stop in an instant. However, it's starting to get a little old, and Saint's Row 2 is starting to pique my interest.

Since I liked GTA: SA, especially messing with config files, would I like Saint's Row 2? I'd get the Steam version, if that makes any difference (it does for GTA, since mods and half the tools don't work for the Steam version).

Forever_Peace posted:

This might be a bit obscure, but are there any games with a similar mechanism to the Castle Fight warcraft3 mod? I like the idea of a basebuilding rts that focuses on broad strategic direction, without unit micromanagement (or preferably with automatically spawning and fighting units). I had a blast playing castle fight years ago, but I seem to have since lost my CDs. If you happen to know of flash or free games or other mods that are similar, that's fine too!
For you, I'd recommend Total Annihilation: Spring. It's free, and there's a much higher emphasis on base-building and economy tinkering than unit micromanagement.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Forever_Peace posted:

I have never played Castle Fight, but from your description it sounds like Majesty 1 and 2 might be interesting. Similar to a standard RTS you build a base, train heroes and manage an economy. However, you do not control the units directly, instead you influence the heroes by offering rewards for accomplishing tasks.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I want something simple, non-restrictive, and exploration-based that I can approach at my own pace. If it's something more akin to a toy or interactive art, like Panic! for Sega CD or superbad.com, that's great.

Edit: I've played Everblue 2 and Endless Ocean.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Rollersnake posted:

I want something simple, non-restrictive, and exploration-based that I can approach at my own pace. If it's something more akin to a toy or interactive art, like Panic! for Sega CD or superbad.com, that's great.

Edit: I've played Everblue 2 and Endless Ocean.

Kyntt - An atmospheric game where you crash land on an alien planet after being abducted and have to find the missing parts to the ship scattered around the various environments in order to get home. The quest is there more to just get you to explore the different areas and see all the cool pixel art/listen to the cool ambient music.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 10, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

pixelbaron posted:

Kyntt - An atmospheric game where you crash land on an alien planet after being abducted and have to find the missing parts to the ship scattered around the various environments in order to get home. The quest is there more to just get you to explore the different areas and see all the cool pixel art/listen to the cool ambient music.

I've actually played Knytt and other games of its ilk too, but forgot to mention them.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Hmmmm. How about Stranded II? You're stranded on an island and have to survive by exploring, hunting, building, etc.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Games where you can slow down time to cap bitches.

One of my favorite parts of Modern Warfare was unlocking the slo-mo cheat and using it in firefights, I love the slow motion firefights. In Hitman: Blood Money one of my favorite things is when you get almost dead and then time slows down. It doesn't just have to be Matrix-esque bullet time with jumping everywhere.

I can think of:
Time Shift
Max Payne
The Matrix games
FEAR (iirc)

Plus the aforementioned games.

Fnoigy posted:

Since I liked GTA: SA, especially messing with config files, would I like Saint's Row 2? I'd get the Steam version, if that makes any difference (it does for GTA, since mods and half the tools don't work for the Steam version).

Saints Row 2 is like GTA except it's funnier and (pretty much) everything you do involves shooting. If you want to do a lot of shooting, Saints Row 2 is awesome. It also provides for more character customization that I enjoy, no stupid leveling up, you have a phone but the most you ever HAVE to do is press E to answer it.

Serious Michael fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 13, 2010

Gangsta Lean
Dec 3, 2001

Calm, relaxed...what could be more fulfilling?
I'm looking for a first-person military combat game (Call of Duty, etc) for ps2 for my nephews. It needs to support split-screen multiplayer (either co-op or versus) on the same console since they don't have internet access. I know the split-screen experience in most games isn't that great, but is there something like this for ps2 that doesn't completely suck?

Are there any good fps options that meet the above requirements but aren't specifically military-type games?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Fnoigy posted:

Since I liked GTA: SA, especially messing with config files, would I like Saint's Row 2? I'd get the Steam version

Yes, you'd like Saint's Row 2, but do not get the PC version. It was unplayably buggy at release, and at least as of the second patch, still ran horribly for me. I had to run it at graphics settings that made it look like a Sega Dreamcast game to get an acceptable framerate, and it would still crash every 10 minutes. And I can run Lord of the Rings Online at close to max graphic settings on the computer, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys

Steerpike posted:

Have you tried Star Ocean? It was a fantastic SNES RPG only released in Japan, but there was a brilliant fan translation done somewhere. Is this :filez: ? It was from almost 15 years ago and I don't think you can even buy it legitimately anymore, at least not in the US.

Fermata Forever fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 13, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Fermata Forever posted:

Have you tried Star Ocean? It was a fantastic SNES RPG only released in Japan, but there was a brilliant fan translation done somewhere. Is this :filez: ? It was from 15+ years ago and I don't think you can even buy it legitimately anywhere anymore, at least not in the US.

It was released for PSP in the US recently. I'm not sure to what extent it's a remake and a different game, so I dunno either.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys

Rollersnake posted:

It was released for PSP in the US recently. I'm not sure to what extent it's a remake and a different game, so I dunno either.

Oh, if there's a remake on a newer console, then it's probably not kosher. Oh well, hope the guy who asked has a PSP...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've been needing Diablo 3 for a year or two now. I've played Titan Quest before and had all kinds of fun with it.

Someone recommend me a good Diablo 2/Titan Quest style action rpg. I have a serious gaming itch I need to scratch while I wait years for diablo 3.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Is there a racing game with a customizable championship series mode i.e. being able to choose the tracks you want for the season, and optimally, number of laps and other conditions? This feature alone would be enough to carry the game for me assuming the racing itself isn't terrible. New gen consoles are out, anything else is fair game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hypnolobster posted:

I've been needing Diablo 3 for a year or two now. I've played Titan Quest before and had all kinds of fun with it.

Someone recommend me a good Diablo 2/Titan Quest style action rpg. I have a serious gaming itch I need to scratch while I wait years for diablo 3.
Torchlight probably is the next best thing. There's a demo available on Steam if you want to try it out.

In general though good D2 clones seem to be few and far between, and you've already played the one I personally liked best.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Hypnolobster posted:

Have you played the Eastern Sun mod for Diablo 2? It adds a ton of stuff. New enemies, a ton of new rune words, set items, uniques and even skills. You can customize all your items as well to make them even more powerful. And to make up for the new badass items, there are new zones that are hard as hell.

It's like playing Diablo 2 for the first time all over again (well, almost).

http://homepage3.nifty.com/miyoshino/es/es3top.htm is the site. Not much in the way of screenshots, but you can check out some of the new items.

Other then that, yeah Torchlight is probably your best bet.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Those both sound fantastic. Thanks guys.

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

Gangsta Lean posted:

I'm looking for a first-person military combat game (Call of Duty, etc) for ps2 for my nephews. It needs to support split-screen multiplayer (either co-op or versus) on the same console since they don't have internet access. I know the split-screen experience in most games isn't that great, but is there something like this for ps2 that doesn't completely suck?

Are there any good fps options that meet the above requirements but aren't specifically military-type games?

I've just been messing around with Giant Bomb's back-end API, that lets you interface tools to their gigantically huge database. This seemed like a good early test.

EDIT: made better
code:
Got 723 games for concept 'First-Person Perspective'.
Got 308 games for concept 'Split-Screen Multiplayer'.
Matched 62 games.
Filtering genre -- looking for first-person shooter
Filtered out 12 games.
Filtering platform -- looking for playstation 2
Filtered out 35 games.
Final result: 15 games.
  4857: Medal of Honor: Frontline
  16752: Medal of Honor: Rising Sun
  10228: Medal of Honor: European Assault
  6647: 007: Nightfire
  15048: Killzone
  8099: TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
  2955: XIII
  97: Serious Sam: Next Encounter
  3055: Conflict: Desert Storm
  3617: Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
  17246: TimeSplitters 2
  3171: Turok: Evolution
  12621: TimeSplitters
  8134: Quake III: Revolution
  6081: Soldier of Fortune (Gold Edition)
It will only work for games that the Giant Bomb community have added the right concepts for, but maybe it'll give you some ideas?

Doctor What fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 15, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gangsta Lean posted:

TimeSplitters isn't really a modern military type game, but it's your best bet for fun co-op multiplayer on the PS2. The rest of your options are pretty poor.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm looking for a do-what-you-want, free-roaming kind of action/RPG game. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and I've played all the Fallout games to death. I've played Oblivion a bit, but I didn't really like it, and I've gone through just about every major BioWare release (including Baldur's Gate), as well as The Witcher. If you could recommend me a game that is like any of the ones I mentioned--preferably one that I can sink quite a few hours into--that'd be great. Character customization is also a plus.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Serious Michael posted:

Games where you can slow down time to cap bitches.

One of my favorite parts of Modern Warfare was unlocking the slo-mo cheat and using it in firefights, I love the slow motion firefights. In Hitman: Blood Money one of my favorite things is when you get almost dead and then time slows down. It doesn't just have to be Matrix-esque bullet time with jumping everywhere.

I can think of:
Time Shift
Max Payne
The Matrix games
FEAR (iirc)

Plus the aforementioned games.

I think Stranglehold is a notable exception from this list. Not a perfect game but still a lot of fun.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'm looking for a do-what-you-want, free-roaming kind of action/RPG game. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and I've played all the Fallout games to death. I've played Oblivion a bit, but I didn't really like it, and I've gone through just about every major BioWare release (including Baldur's Gate), as well as The Witcher. If you could recommend me a game that is like any of the ones I mentioned--preferably one that I can sink quite a few hours into--that'd be great. Character customization is also a plus.

Risen is like this, it falls apart once you hit chapter 3 though since you have to just fight a million lizardmen in huge caves, chapter 1 and 2 are quite lengthy and cool though

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

SM64Guy posted:

Risen is like this, it falls apart once you hit chapter 3 though since you have to just fight a million lizardmen in huge caves, chapter 1 and 2 are quite lengthy and cool though

Yeah, I think that's about up to the point where I played Risen. :v: Guess I forgot to mention that one.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Yeah, I think that's about up to the point where I played Risen. :v: Guess I forgot to mention that one.

Oh okay, maybe Divinity 2 then? Problem with that game is it starts out pretty horrible for the first three or so hours then begins to get pretty drat good

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'll look into it!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

\/\/\/\/ Oh, how I wish I had bought a PS3 instead of a 360. :(

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 15, 2010

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

I'll look into it!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If you have a PS3, Demon's Souls might be good for you. On that note, I'd love any recommendations people have for PC games that are as similar as possible to Demon's Souls :3:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Osmosisch posted:

If you have a PS3, Demon's Souls might be good for you. On that note, I'd love any recommendations people have for PC games that are as similar as possible to Demon's Souls :3:

I haven't tried this yet myself, but there is Sword of Moonlight, a game creator tool by From Software based on King's Field (their earlier series with which Demon's Souls has many similarities). Apparently it's been translated to English, and there was a new fanmade King's Field released just this year, so I imagine it still works on current OSes.

Doctor What
Sep 17, 2007

Have you played Arcanum? I've come across it a few times, usually mentioned as a cult classic sort of thing, though I haven't played it myself. It's apparently an open-world isometric RPG from some of the people behind Fallout 2. Could be awesome.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Same series, but most people liked Morrowind better than Oblivion. I've only played the former so I can't compare but I'm told its a lot deeper and more freeform, and has literally thousands of mods for it. It's also very long.

Kind of out of left field, but Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas especially) and Saints Row 2 kinda fit the bill too. Stats, unlockables, linear story progression as well as lots of sandboxy stuff.

I do not recommend Arcanum for that, though. The action is not great and is just a backdrop for the story and characters, the game is really all about dealing with characters and quests in your particular way rather than doing your own thing in the world at large. You can run around all over this huge world but it's actually incredibly linear with a fair number of side quests. I love Arcanum to death for what it is, everyone should play it, but it's pure story-driven RPG.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Is there any other games like the Dreamcast game Armada? For those unaware it is a top down action RPG with spaceships.

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008
I'm really looking for another Steampunk game. I just finished Bioshock 2, but I wasn't ready to leave that kind of world. Any suggestions?

Respekt
Aug 8, 2007
la la la
looking for a semi easy to learn free mmorpg for a friend and I to just waste time on.

Don't want:
-Super Graphic/UI intensive (WoW)
-A game where all the good stuff can be bought for cazh monay

Want:
-Something that I can possibly troll around
-Something newly released so all the quirks haven't been exploited yet

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

If you have a 360 and you have a high tolerance for cheese, Two Worlds sports a very large, open, game world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.

Regicide posted:

I'm really looking for another Steampunk game. I just finished Bioshock 2, but I wasn't ready to leave that kind of world. Any suggestions?

Hmm... I can't think of anything.. maybe try reading a book. Like Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)