Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS
I still meet people who are totally convinced that Ultimate Warrior died and The Undertaker was played by at least 3 different people. And no, not in the way that his original name was Kane the Undertaker and Kane became a character later on. Just that Undertaker has been portrayed by numerous people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

EricCrapton posted:

I still meet people who are totally convinced that Ultimate Warrior died and The Undertaker was played by at least 3 different people. And no, not in the way that his original name was Kane the Undertaker and Kane became a character later on. Just that Undertaker has been portrayed by numerous people.

they're probably basing that on the Underfaker.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS

Lamuella posted:

they're probably basing that on the Underfaker.

No, I just think they're really loving stupid.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

(gently caress Mario Lopez)

Is he a bitch rear end?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I used to watch WCW in the '90s, flipping back and forth between that and Raw. I admit that my recollection isn't perfect, and I never really studied the behind-the-scenes business and politics stuff. I mainly remember that WCW had some really good workers, but they also had stupid characters and storylines that belonged in the '80s, an old boys' club of aging starts who weren't very entertaining to watch, and were always trying to put people over with really transparent squash matches with one of an army of jobbers. I know it was really obvious but I was immensely satisfied to hear Bret Hart say that Goldberg had been "hand-fed" all his opponents.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Halloween Jack posted:

I know it was really obvious but I was immensely satisfied to hear Bret Hart say that Goldberg had been "hand-fed" all his opponents.

Are you suggesting Jerry Flynn and the Barbarian were not worthy of WCW world title shots?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Watch some of his matches early on, and you can see why WCW would see potential in Goldberg.

He just kinda never really moved on to a veteran stage, and stayed fairly green until the end of his career.

Also, isn't everyone hand-fed their opponents? Is Bret suggesting that he actually had to out-wrestle people until they tapped to the sharpshooter in a real fight?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Save Russian Jews posted:

Watch some of his matches early on, and you can see why WCW would see potential in Goldberg.

He just kinda never really moved on to a veteran stage, and stayed fairly green until the end of his career.

Also, isn't everyone hand-fed their opponents? Is Bret suggesting that he actually had to out-wrestle people until they tapped to the sharpshooter in a real fight?

No, he's saying that, in storyline, Goldberg was given easy opponents so he could keep up the streak.

Didn't he beat Jerry Lynn like, 20 times in the streak?

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I remember I believe it was summer of 1998 WCW pushed the hell out of Meng out of nowhere and had him go on this reign of terror loving everyone up with his tongan death grip, which eventually lead to a big Nitro match between him and Goldberg where the nWo said they were going to be special outside enforcers, so the Wolfpack came out as well to help ensure Goldberg didn't get hosed over.

Maybe it was just because I was a total mark and new to wrestling but I always found that whole thing pretty well done, and was a good example of how WCW used to actually build up story lines over several months. One other really good example was a mid-1998 program between Hart and Sting that resulted in a really unexpected/sudden turn by Bret Hart that lead to the Halloween Havoc match between the two.

Anyway my point is I always thought old WCW used to be very good at developing months-long story lines, whereas WWF at the time seemed to develop new ones the Raw after a PPV, culminating in the next PPV, then moving to a new one.

*edit - of course, just watching the match on Youtube I'm reminded of how terrible/sloppy it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWuM34syqY

*edit #2 - just for fun here's what I always thought was Goldberg's best match, or at least one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0x5PX7AX4

MyStereoHasMono fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 12, 2010

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyway my point is I always thought old WCW used to be very good at developing months-long story lines, whereas WWF at the time seemed to develop new ones the Raw after a PPV, culminating in the next PPV, then moving to a new one.

What was disappointing was when the months-long storyline was wiped out like a sitcom after months of buildup. I don't remember well, but I remember a hogan face turn kinda going through but then he was like "gently caress this I'm hollywood still," or something.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Meng had cool pants.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Capsaicin posted:

No, he's saying that, in storyline, Goldberg was given easy opponents so he could keep up the streak.

Didn't he beat Jerry Lynn like, 20 times in the streak?

Jerry Flynn (not as good as Jerry Lynn!), and probably a lot more than 20 times

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
WCW put Jerry Flynn in a ppv match.

(His opponents were The Cat & Sonny Onoo, handicap match, IIRC)

And that's nowhere near the insanely stupidest, self-destructivest thing they booked. But I really miss them. Even the bad stuff. The IWC (I haven't used that term in forever) used to have so much more material, so much news and gossip and excitement, because we had WCW and ECW that really were lunatic-run asylums. And WCW had a Hollywood budget, no less. It really was a special time.

I'm an old-timer, I got into WCW circa '89, so I was fortunate - I got to see stuff like Muta vs. AA, Vader's debut (it's all about the Giger Elephant Helmet), Sting and Luger in their primes (yes, Luger was good circa '89-90), Flair cutting promos with confidence (and without desperation). That's what I like to look back on. Sadly, for every one great memory like that, there's three more of stuff like The Ding Dongs, The Yeti, The Powers That Be, etc.

Say what you will about WCW, but they really were the place for great American wrestling up until '00 or so. Just like the McMahon anecdote, while he was in the Sports Entertainment business, WCW was in the 'rasslin' business. That's what I miss. Pardon the ramble, this thread brought back way too many memories.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

mention of a hollywood budget reminds me of those awesome mini-movies that WCW did to promote Sting matches in the early nineties. I say "awesome" in the sense that I was awed that they ever got approved. The ones I remember are "spin the wheel, make the deal", which was actually fairly badass even though it led to Sting and Jake the Sanem having a coal miner's glove match, "Vader's White Castle Of Death", and the one where an evil midget plants a bomb on Sting and Davey Boy Smith's boat.

Ah, Cheatum The Midget, the original Hornswoggle.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Lamuella posted:

The ones I remember are "spin the wheel, make the deal", which was actually fairly badass even though it led to Sting and Jake the Sanem having a coal miner's glove match

Oh my God... that ended with Sting and Jake blasting each other with optic lasers...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

here it is in all its retarded glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT5ta5oWCc

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I laugh whenever I see the wiki for Starrcade 1999 and realize they booked 13 matches for a 3-hour show.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Dario Delfino posted:

Oh my God... that ended with Sting and Jake blasting each other with optic lasers...

Yeah watching that made me glad the horsemen beat the poo poo out of Sting and broke his kneecap.

Bonus content: I still have a phobia about people touching my knees because of that angle to this day.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Via the Death Valley Driver boards, some WCW memories for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPj1xf-prHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZd-5pEdV9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RKnSIxQsE

I miss WCW. :(

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009

Lamuella posted:

here it is in all its retarded glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT5ta5oWCc

What's with the little dude with the eyepatch? Did he have a role in WCW outside these two videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqA4w9IbeQ&feature=related#t=3m22s

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

What's with the little dude with the eyepatch? Did he have a role in WCW outside these two videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsqA4w9IbeQ&feature=related#t=3m22s

Cheatum the One-Eyed Midget, I don't know if he was in anything other than those two videos but I know his name!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

those videos made me remember how much I enjoyed Crowbar in WCW. He was just a goof, but seeing him doing poo poo like thumb wrestling with Daffney while David Flair was being interviewed in the foreground always made me giggle.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
Holy poo poo, were Crowbar and Kanyon two different people?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Blinken posted:

yes. Crowbar was Devon Storm and Kanyon was Chris Kanyon.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

whatsabattle posted:

Via the Death Valley Driver boards, some WCW memories for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPj1xf-prHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZd-5pEdV9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8RKnSIxQsE

I miss WCW. :(

I hope somebody does the same to TNA soon after it dies. My favourite part was some actress having to yell "david, wait, you're not a wrestler" as arquette goes after somebody.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Wazzu posted:

I hope somebody does the same to TNA soon after it dies. My favourite part was some actress having to yell "david, wait, you're not a wrestler" as arquette goes after somebody.

That is his wife, Courtney Cox.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I liked David Arquette as champion because after he turned heel he went all out with the ridiculous clothes and super annoying persona. At that point I had completely given up on WCW as a serious company, so them doing train wreck poo poo like that was enough to make me tune in.

Russo manipulated me like a puppet :(

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!
Reading through this thread makes me wonder why I ever thought WCW was legitimately serious wrestling when I was a child.

Do they make time machines to let you go back and slap yourself for being not so smart?

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

Benign posted:

Reading through this thread makes me wonder why I ever thought WCW was legitimately serious wrestling when I was a child.

Sting.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

triplexpac posted:

I liked David Arquette as champion because after he turned heel he went all out with the ridiculous clothes and super annoying persona. At that point I had completely given up on WCW as a serious company, so them doing train wreck poo poo like that was enough to make me tune in.

Russo manipulated me like a puppet :(

I think that David Arquette is actually a little nutty so it played well into his, erm, character. Adam Carolla made some snarky remarks about him on Loveline one time and he happened to be out and about and he came to the studio and I can only assume tried to hit Adam with a chair until Dr. Drew gave him a LARIATOOOOO~! and Courtney Cox loaded him back in the car.

If Russo had come in a little earlier, then that might have been an actual televised wrestling angle on tv. It would also put Loveline, and by extension OUR REALITY in canon with Robocop. :psyduck:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

considering that Jay Leno has headlined a WCW ppv, I think we're long past the point of our reality being part of WCW, Robocop's world, and the Tommy Westphall Universe

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
The main event of the next-to-last Nitro was Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett kissing a donkey's rear end. I just thought we needed to be reminded of that.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

CVagts posted:

The main event of the next-to-last Nitro was Ric Flair and Jeff Jarrett kissing a donkey's rear end. I just thought we needed to be reminded of that.

And the first 6 years of nitro had people kissing Hogan's rear end.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Moose Bigelow posted:

And the first 6 years of nitro had people kissing Hogan's rear end.

Sorry, the correct response was "I thought Hogan left WCW before the next to last Nitro."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Blinken posted:

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they had ANOTHER guy who looked just like Crowbar. The angle was that Crowbar was in love with Daffney and she had a new wrestler boyfriend who happened to look exactly like him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the guy who works at my local comic book store looks just like Crowbar, and is a huge mark for oldschool wcw.

Blinken
Aug 11, 2007
For the last ~10 years I always thought it was one guy. WCW putting pants on someone and calling it a different character seemed in no way unbelievable to me.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Lamuella posted:

the guy who works at my local comic book store looks just like Crowbar, and is a huge mark for oldschool wcw.

What do you mean "looks like"?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ThatCguy posted:

What do you mean "looks like"?

I did briefly wonder if it was the same guy, I admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Gavok posted:

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they had ANOTHER guy who looked just like Crowbar. The angle was that Crowbar was in love with Daffney and she had a new wrestler boyfriend who happened to look exactly like him.

That'd be a great visual joke, but very odd at an angle length. It can only go "guy vs similar looking guy" from there.