Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Z.S. Ghost posted:

BTMI Releases: 2005, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2009, 2009, 2010 (8)
Kalnoky Releases: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2010 (7)

I didn't count BTMI vinyl-only stuff or Kalnoky stuff that's only available on cassette. I would kill for Streetlight/BOTAR to have a BTMI release schedule.

I'd kill for a split like the Laura Stevenson/BTMI one. Cover each other's songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It loving leaked Jesus tittyfucking Christ

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Too bad Just blows and Such Great Heights is still honkhonkhonk. I can get over the honkhonkhonk though.

Punk Rock Girl is awesome though.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The Troubador is my favorite, but the album is a mixed-bag at best.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I can get over the bike horn when the rest of the song is so good, which surprises me because I can't stand the Postal Service version

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Linoleum was what I was least excited about cause I heard them play it a million goddamn times but the album version turned out to be incredible. All the other songs are great too, especially the beginning of Punk Rock Girl.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've tried listening to Just a few times now. Holy poo poo I just can't bring myself to like it.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I love Just, its totally awesome. I think i liked the unmastered versions the leaked better than these also.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Wow, I'm really on the fence about Linoleum, it's a great song, but no horns at all? The violin was a nice touch, though.

lessthankyle posted:

I'd kill for a split like the Laura Stevenson/BTMI one. Cover each other's songs.
A laura/streelight split O_O

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love it. As much as I'd like an original album, this is still awesome

e: I kinda wish Conti had done lead vocals on Punk Rock Girl. That poo poo would've been awesome

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 13, 2010

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

The mix on Just helped a lot, it's not bad now. And the last ~20 seconds are amazing.

Removing the trumpet solo from Linoleum was stupid.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'd give it a solid 7/10 on three full listenthroughs.

Just is balanced out by Me and Julio, so I figure its not so bad at all.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Gerfatty played me some of the tracks just now. Goddamn does this album sound terrible. Maybe that opinion will change when i sit down and listen to the whole thing, but man, what a bummer.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I know this is an utterly obvious way to discern enjoyment of a cover album, but I feel like appreciation hinges upon ignorance. Though, there are bands who can own a cover, I don't think Streetlight fall within that contingent.

If this album is motivation for ska kids to explore beyond the genre, that's awesome, but as a fan of Streetlight I really am disappointed at this being their first recorded output in almost three years.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

I was basically the biggest Streetlight fanboy back in highschool. Hands down.
I haven't been listening to much of the genre lately, but heard they had a new album.
Listened to just this video and it's just the same old Streetlight sound.

I wasn't super impressed, but I'll probably buy the album anyway.
I play bari sax so having Mike Brown in the band is a big factor.

Too bad this is all they came up with in a long time.
Kalnoky is still drat good at guitar.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I kinda wish they weren't doing this cover project. I would have much rather had them stick 1-2 of these covers on albums of original music. That way we'd have presumably awesome albums with only 1 or 2 songs that aren't that great.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Someone on skachilles posted a slowed-down version of Such Great Heights, and despite sounding kinda awkward on account of post-production manipulation, if the band were to have recorded it this way, it would have been loving incredible.

Streetlight are notorious for supporting free exchange of music, so I hope nobody decides to report me for posting this because it's worth listening to.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ydxztzxddk

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

Someone on skachilles posted a slowed-down version of Such Great Heights, and despite sounding kinda awkward on account of post-production manipulation, if the band were to have recorded it this way, it would have been loving incredible.

Streetlight are notorious for supporting free exchange of music, so I hope nobody decides to report me for posting this because it's worth listening to.
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ydxztzxddk

This is about the same tempo as the TTV cover, which has more interesting horn lines anyways

dnz fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 15, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dnz posted:

This is about the same tempo as the TTV cover, which has more interesting horn lines anyways

the who what cover

e: oh. Tip The Van. Eh.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Frankly I think the new Streetlight album is great, I feel like it's a bit more eclectic than SitB, or maybe less gimmicky? I've been listening to it all day and I feel like I won't get tired of it as quickly

Such Great Heights and Just are my favorites but I don't think any of them are bad or even mediocre

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aquabats update ramble thing: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=367529910652

All I can get out of this is maybe an album by the end of the year or maybe they'll break up? But who knows how serious that is because everything they say is like concentrated bits of crazy

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

Aquabats update ramble thing: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=367529910652

All I can get out of this is maybe an album by the end of the year or maybe they'll break up? But who knows how serious that is because everything they say is like concentrated bits of crazy

I dunno they've joked that they're going to break up pretty often, I doubt if it were to happen they'd announce it like this anyway.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Do they have the horns back? Because if not they can gently caress off. Everything after Myths has been poo poo.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Charge!! has its moments: nerd alert, demolition rickshaw and waterslides are great ska tracks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aricoarena posted:

Do they have the horns back? Because if not they can gently caress off. Everything after Myths has been poo poo.

The last picture had more members than they would have without horns, so hopefully

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Charge!! has its moments: nerd alert, demolition rickshaw and waterslides are great ska tracks.

Look at me, I'm a winner!!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Amazon MP3 has begun selling the new Streetlight album if anyone is getting it from there

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I'm still really enjoying 99 songs. It has a nice flow to it, and Such Great Heights really does come off as a nice triumphant "finisher" (the horns bellowing in the chorus), but I really wish it ended with something kickass like Just, which is otherwise ok leaning on bad... oh Kalnocky you can't sing that second verse :(.

All in all, it's something, which is better than nothing, and it's a fun listen. It's a cover cd, and I never expected it to be anything beyond that, and it's not. So I'll just assume that the 99 project will remain producing a mix bag of some good, and some bad, while hopefully Streetlight will keep producing spectacular original content.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Okay, given 99 Songs a few listens through. My initial reactions:

Mostly I like it a lot. Standout tracks: Hell, Skyscraper, Linoleum. IMO Skyscraper is much better than the Bad Religion version, which just feels milquetoast to me.

A few tracks I don't like much: Punk Rock Girl, Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard, Such Great Heights. I don't like the original of Punk Rock Girl and I think I'm the only one, so take that as you will. I like both of the other originals.

It's short. Really short. I know, I know, punk and ska songs are all short hurf durf. I really felt it here though. I'm enjoying most of it enough to warrant the pickup though, if you're on the fence, although I will basically buy anything Tomas makes and most of you are probably the same. (EDIT: I'm saying the album is short, not the songs. I don't care about song length.)

guppy fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 16, 2010

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

guppy posted:

Okay, given 99 Songs a few listens through. My initial reactions:

Mostly I like it a lot. Standout tracks: Hell, Skyscraper, Linoleum. IMO Skyscraper is much better than the Bad Religion version, which just feels milquetoast to me.

A few tracks I don't like much: Punk Rock Girl, Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard, Such Great Heights. I don't like the original of Punk Rock Girl and I think I'm the only one, so take that as you will. I like both of the other originals.

It's short. Really short. I know, I know, punk and ska songs are all short hurf durf. I really felt it here though. I'm enjoying most of it enough to warrant the pickup though, if you're on the fence, although I will basically buy anything Tomas makes and most of you are probably the same. (EDIT: I'm saying the album is short, not the songs. I don't care about song length.)
Punk Rock Girl is really stupid, both in its sound and lyrics imo. That being said, 'Alternative, Baby' by fish was my favourite song when I was 15...

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

dnz posted:

Punk Rock Girl is really stupid, both in its sound and lyrics imo. That being said, 'Alternative, Baby' by fish was my favourite song when I was 15...

You're all fired. Punk Rock Girl is one of the greatest songs ever. And the reason it's good is because how lovely and sloppy it is, at least in the original. The reason the cover sucks is because it's not.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Yeah agreed, I was really hoping a poorly mixed Punk Rock Girl would leak because I think I would like it better

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

You're all fired. Punk Rock Girl is one of the greatest songs ever. And the reason it's good is because how lovely and sloppy it is, at least in the original. The reason the cover sucks is because it's not.

But the cover owns because that intro is fun as poo poo, and I love Soprano playing the solo

There's no such thing as a bad version of Punk Rock Girl except for maybe the MxPx one

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

dnz posted:

Look at me, I'm a winner!!

Listening through it again I like the whole album, actually. I still would like to see them bring their horn section back, though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Listening through it again I like the whole album, actually. I still would like to see them bring their horn section back, though.

Now, Billy was a fan of third-wave ska...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So what's our next anxiously-awaited album?

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

guppy posted:

a good fish album

Drinking With Nixon
Mar 7, 2009

Your Mama's got plans, your daddy's aim is true.
She never understood that it ain't no good.
Papa never heard the cool.
I never thought I'd like a BtMI album better than a Streetlight album but lo and behold. Its not like I don't like 99 songs its just that the new BtMI is really good. I'm really surprised I've felt like they only get better with each new album.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I'm gonna go with a good Aquabats album with horns or a rerelease of Hello Rockview with the concert DVD where they play the whole album, but that's just me I dunno about all y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I'm waiting for Stza make a new band that isn't terrible