Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Still needs some tidying up.

If I ever meet the person who decided every spotlight in 40K was going to have a grill over it, I'm gonna stab them in the eye with a 000 brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Here's the progress on my Battlewagon. I'm fairly happy with how the metal came out (Vallejo Gunmetal Grey, Badab Black, Boltgun Drybrush, light Devlan Mud), and I've decided to go with a red/yellow paint scheme for my army. The only left for me to do on the front is to choose how to paint the deffrolla itself. I'm still debating how to do it. Here are some ideas:

1) Paint the teeth red and leave the rest alone.
2) Paint the whole drat barrel red.
3) Paint the barrel with red in a checker pattern, leaving the metal plates bare.
4) Paint something over the plates.

I'm leaning towards the checker pattern, but if you guys have other suggestions I would love to hear them. Hell any comments at all are welcome.

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
One-billionth scale model making, that's where it's at.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

mother fucker i can't even highlight tanks right

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a pretty lovely moulding defect.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That's a pretty lovely moulding defect.

Forgeworld?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mold lines :rolleyes:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's actually some other cool pics if you load the article and click through to the contest it's talking about.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

That is not an accurate representation of a Galaxy class starship. :colbert:

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Still a better sculpt than Dark Eldar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Here's the progress on my Battlewagon. I'm fairly happy with how the metal came out (Vallejo Gunmetal Grey, Badab Black, Boltgun Drybrush, light Devlan Mud), and I've decided to go with a red/yellow paint scheme for my army. The only left for me to do on the front is to choose how to paint the deffrolla itself. I'm still debating how to do it. Here are some ideas:

3) Paint the barrel with red in a checker pattern, leaving the metal plates bare.

I'm leaning towards the checker pattern, but if you guys have other suggestions I would love to hear them. Hell any comments at all are welcome.

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Now HERE is something worthy of DEE SIX STRENGTH TEN IMPACT HITS.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

You've got a natural check pattern on the ends with the model - you should utilize that.

I'd say check up each end bit, paint the teef red, then rusty up the plates on the rolla.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr Beens posted:

You've got a natural check pattern on the ends with the model - you should utilize that.

I'd say check up each end bit, paint the teef red, then rusty up the plates on the rolla.

I think this is what I'm going to do. For added fun I'm going to try and put the pattern on the entire drum, so it looks like the drum was painted once and then patched over a bunch of times.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
WIP fire dragon pics from the oath thread

and a better lit shot of the finished one

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
I love 'em, awesome color scheme and a great paintjob.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Seconding that, they look gorgeous and you're making me re-think my eldar :argh:

Care to share your recipe for red? (even though it appears to require a white undercoat :orks:)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Yog-Sothoth posted:

WIP fire dragon pics from the oath thread

and a better lit shot of the finished one

These are lovely, I just have one request, and that is too use either a little bit more static grass or use some green clump on the bases...the green sets of the red beautifully

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Got some more work done on this bastard. Enough to be able to blu-tac it together. Just some detailing work left to do on the head and carapace. Can't wait to get that done so I can throw some paint at it, call it done and hide it on some shelf, never to be used for anything ever. :emo:

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

I am not really that fond of 40k, but that is quite impressive. Good stuff.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

enri posted:

Seconding that, they look gorgeous and you're making me re-think my eldar :argh:

Care to share your recipe for red? (even though it appears to require a white undercoat :orks:)

Yep white primer :) it's blazing orange basecoat with a coat of baal red, then another coat of baal after some edge highlights, particularly focusing on darkening the recesses

quote:

These are lovely, I just have one request, and that is too use either a little bit more static grass or use some green clump on the bases...the green sets of the red beautifully

Yeah I'll add some more grass when I do the other ones bases, and maybe some other bits and pieces

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Yep white primer :) it's blazing orange basecoat with a coat of baal red, then another coat of baal after some edge highlights, particularly focusing on darkening the recesses

Cool thanks for sharing, my big gripe with white primer is that I normally paint bases and get them done before I even lay a single coat down on the model itself. Because I work off of a black undercoat 99.9% of the time this has never been a problem, with a white undercoat though... not so sure whether it's worth the extra hassle of painting the base extra carefully after painting the mini.

I tried out a variation on PV's 'red' tutorial tonight with a spare marine torso, started with P3 skorne red and then hit it with a wash of devlan mud, then another coat of skorne red over that and then touched up with p3 khador red base.

Looks lush and totally unlike anything I've ever done before (in terms of general brightness)

I blame the white undercoat and I'm sure I'll be a white undercoat convert before the year is out :gonk:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm converting too, at least for my fantasy stuff. Just hope you don't have all the crazy white primer issues I've had. :byodood:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

white primer owns qtiyd

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PaintVagrant posted:

white primer owns qtiyd

colored primer :smug:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've always hated white primer because you can never get into the deep detail, ending up with white spots, and because it's fuzzed up for me a lot more than black. But it is a lot easier to work with if you give it a thin wash with a dark colour before you start painting proper, or so it seems from my recent faffing with my Lone Wolf.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

colored primer :smug:

I will send my white panther marines to cleanse your heretic colored primer scum

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

PaintVagrant posted:

white primer owns qtiyd

quotin dis. I started white priming when I was doing washes only painting. Then when I was doing normal painting but with a badab wash beforehand. Now I just prime white for everything, honestly if you're applying your basecoats properly (like a fair bit of paint but thinned down) there really shouldn't be any recesses that are missing paint, and even if you do miss a few bits, a drop or two of the appropriate wash right in there should be plenty to fix it up. The difference in colour vibrancy is night and day, nothing I've done in black primer looks anywhere near as good as white primed

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So here's the results of my first ever greenstuffing attempts. Thoughts?
[img]http://img.waffleimages.com/ca3cfc757c8ba31c4f55b65dc84ef1a1fdf041d6/t/IMG_0232[1].jpg[/img]http://img.waffleimages.com/ca3cfc757c8ba31c4f55b65dc84ef1a1fdf041d6/IMG_0232[1].jpg

Edited for table breakage.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
fuzzy white primer flashback

:negative:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

quotin dis. I started white priming when I was doing washes only painting. Then when I was doing normal painting but with a badab wash beforehand. Now I just prime white for everything, honestly if you're applying your basecoats properly (like a fair bit of paint but thinned down) there really shouldn't be any recesses that are missing paint, and even if you do miss a few bits, a drop or two of the appropriate wash right in there should be plenty to fix it up. The difference in colour vibrancy is night and day, nothing I've done in black primer looks anywhere near as good as white primed

This is an extremely articulate way of saying what Ive been trying to tell everyone forever. Well done.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fyrbrand posted:

fuzzy white primer flashback

:negative:

My Mentor Legion pretty much dead ended after I ended up with a bunch of fuzzy primered parts I couldn't strip and had to paint because I needed them for a tournament. I might get back to them one day, but it really killed my enthusiasm.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm not really against white primer, but I haven't found a good white gesso yet and I'm sick of huffing spray paint.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Ashcans posted:

I'm not really against white primer, but I haven't found a good white gesso yet and I'm sick of huffing spray paint.

There's this clear gesso I saw at a nearby craft store. I am curious as all gently caress as to how well that would work.

As far as primer goes, I sadly own four different kinds: white, gray, black sprays, as well as black gesso.
I use black when I know I'll be painting a lot of metallics on a model, or have a lot of black. Otherwise, I prefer white or gray.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Norse team I'm painting were primed white and I'm liking it so far. Maybe I'm becoming a convert? :ohdear:

Oh, wait, the werewolf was primed black and the spots that weren't primed were done over with gesso. :c00l:

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Am I the only one that likes grey primer? :ohdear:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I prefer painting on white primer, but I find it much more difficult to get a consistent coat. White primer is much much temperamental and I already lost a unit of painstakingly converted skeletons to it, so I am always slightly afraid of using it. :ohdear:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Painting from white primer generally takes more time than I like as you really have to make sure you cover every single bit and nook and cranny of the model. Black primer lets you cheat occasionally.

I'm all about the easy way out. :c00l:

I may try my next batch of Bretonnians in white though, as painting bright colors over black makes me want to hang myself.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
I primed a couple models in white with the Reaper 'white primer' from the squeeze bottle. Sure, painting it one takes more time, but god it works.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've always hated white primer because you can never get into the deep detail, ending up with white spots, and because it's fuzzed up for me a lot more than black. But it is a lot easier to work with if you give it a thin wash with a dark colour before you start painting proper, or so it seems from my recent faffing with my Lone Wolf.

This is pretty much my gripe with white undercoats. I'll do them when I really have to but otherwise it's black all the way. Way more forgiving (which is a godsend when you're only painting to TT standard anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've never used white primer, then I tried painting some Storm Lords. The cheap white primer I used was watery (yes I shook the can well), but even after one coat of red it came out looking fantastic!

• Locked thread