Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Yog-Sothoth posted:

WIP fire dragon pics from the oath thread

and a better lit shot of the finished one

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/27/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sole.Sushi posted:

There's this clear gesso I saw at a nearby craft store. I am curious as all gently caress as to how well that would work.

As far as primer goes, I sadly own four different kinds: white, gray, black sprays, as well as black gesso.
I use black when I know I'll be painting a lot of metallics on a model, or have a lot of black. Otherwise, I prefer white or gray.

Clear Gesso? That's insane. You're insane. What the gently caress man. Actually, that could be very cool - I'm imagining that you could mix it with whatever color you want to basically put down a primer coat, brush on equivalent of those GW army primers.

I use white and black sprays for whenever I can set up a bulk priming job, but most of the time I end up just using black gesso because I can just do the one miniature I am actually going to work on, and I can do it at 11PM or during the rain or whatever. My wife has some white gesso for canvas painting, but its way too think and I am too retarded to work out how to thin it properly for model use.

I AM A SUBMARINE
Dec 4, 2005

Would white gesso work as a primer? If not, is there a brush-on white primer that will work, or am I stuck using a spray?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

CreepyWalkingRobot posted:

Would white gesso work as a primer? If not, is there a brush-on white primer that will work, or am I stuck using a spray?

You should really use spray, I find that white gesso doesn't really get even coverage.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

enri posted:

Cool thanks for sharing, my big gripe with white primer is that I normally paint bases and get them done before I even lay a single coat down on the model itself. Because I work off of a black undercoat 99.9% of the time this has never been a problem, with a white undercoat though... not so sure whether it's worth the extra hassle of painting the base extra carefully after painting the mini.

I tried out a variation on PV's 'red' tutorial tonight with a spare marine torso, started with P3 skorne red and then hit it with a wash of devlan mud, then another coat of skorne red over that and then touched up with p3 khador red base.

Looks lush and totally unlike anything I've ever done before (in terms of general brightness)

I blame the white undercoat and I'm sure I'll be a white undercoat convert before the year is out :gonk:

Skorne Red Supremecy.

Skorne Red is such an awesome color. Looks awesome with a Bhaal Red wash or Devlan Mud.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Khador red is astonishingly intense. Its kind of hard to work with because it resists thinning a little bit, but Ill be damned if it doesnt make a really nice highlight for darker reds.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Bobx66 posted:

You should really use spray, I find that white gesso doesn't really get even coverage.

Yea, I bought a tiny bottle of the stuff to experiment with, and I could always see through to the plastic underneath. Grey gesso, on the other hand...:allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Quick colo(u)r question-

Alpha Legion, basically slightly darker ultramarines with silver trim, Weapons are currently black, grey highlights. I need an accent/interesting bits colour, I was initially thinking red, but :argh: crimson fists, so how about green? Too close to blue? Should I stick with black?

It'll be things like powerfists etc.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Quick colo(u)r question-

Alpha Legion, basically slightly darker ultramarines with silver trim, Weapons are currently black, grey highlights. I need an accent/interesting bits colour, I was initially thinking red, but :argh: crimson fists, so how about green? Too close to blue? Should I stick with black?

Green would be the fluff correct choice.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Cakefool posted:

Quick colo(u)r question-

Green :3:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Miniature of the day: Dwarf Wereshark. No, really.

:rock:

Cakefool posted:

Quick colo(u)r question-

I've seen people make a slightly thick wash made from a bright green (like Scorpion or Goblin Green) and wash it in the recesses, like people do with hawk turquoise to give a rust effect. Looks really cool when done right.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
By far the best Alpha Legion models I've seen are those quite subtle Ultramarine infiltrators.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

By far the best Alpha Legion models I've seen are those quite subtle Ultramarine infiltrators.

Yeah, I'm not that good yet. Or maybe ever, but you've got to try right?

Green looks good, I'm doing the helmets green too as only 1 guy with powerfist & lord with claws will have green cc weapons, the helmets should tie them together. Maybe a kneepad or so on the other guys, I'll see.

Also, I accidentally thinned my paint to the correct milk-like consistency, much better.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
what is the least shiny brush-on matte varnish available in the states?

I use liquitex matte and it is too reflective.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Aetilus posted:

Vallejo do a decent brush on varnish, comes in the same size bottles as their paints. Look under their model color range for it.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

enri posted:

Vallejo do a decent brush on varnish, comes in the same size bottles as their paints. Look under their model color range for it.

will do

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Only tip I have for it, and this probably applies for any brush on varnish I guess, is just don't slop it on willy nilly :) I did that once and had icky white patches in cracks and crevices

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

enri posted:

Only tip I have for it, and this probably applies for any brush on varnish I guess, is just don't slop it on willy nilly :) I did that once and had icky white patches in cracks and crevices

yeah too much varnish or too much brushing of that varnish creates discoloration.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh great, just realised I did the power armoured guys eye lenses green, do I have to do the Terminators lenses red or blue? :psyduck: My advance planning obviously does not extend to painting little mans.

Ooh, found a skull helmet for my comedy csm, 14 skulls with minimal converting :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cakefool posted:

Oh great, just realised I did the power armoured guys eye lenses green, do I have to do the Terminators lenses red or blue? :psyduck: My advance planning obviously does not extend to painting little mans.

Ooh, found a skull helmet for my comedy csm, 14 skulls with minimal converting :v:

You paint them...the same color? Also, green lenses on Alpha Legion? :psyduck::psyduck:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Most Alpha Legion I've seen used blue and green.

My pictures are a little disorganized so this is the only one I could find quickly (blue+yellow):

The notable exception I can think of off the top of my head is the Ultramarine one with the scale pattern and serpent heads incorporated into the U.

e:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 16, 2010

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Most Alpha Legion I've seen used blue and green.

My pictures are a little disorganized so this is the only one I could find quickly (blue+yellow):

The notable exception I can think of off the top of my head is the Ultramarine one with the scale pattern and serpent heads incorporated into the U.

e:

Holy poo poo, I have never seen that before.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The old blue/green hybrid alpha legion with freehand scales (which are very easy to do, actually) look awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mousling Heroes, dawwww :3:

more here...
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/previews/latest/10033#detail/10033_w_1

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's a pretty cool model collection. The guy does pretty amazing freehand work and weathering, but his painting and converting can seem really uneven.

He can go from stuff like this:

or

to this:

I'm just hoping that's the angle the photo's taken at and Leman Russ doesn't have really weird stunty limbs.

Either way, he's got some really neat stuff that's worth looking at. Bonus if you can read French.

Some French Guy's Cool Space Marines

Also from the Mouselings:

:black101:

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 17, 2010

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
That's not a conversion.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
finished my GK horses! also pictured one of my damsels and my lord.

Not bad for a lovely cell phone pic taken in a dark room with only one light bulb 8 inches directly above the models!

also:

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

!amicable posted:

That's not a conversion.

Which one are you talking about?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Hell Diver posted:

Which one are you talking about?

The Russ miniature.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

!amicable posted:

The Russ miniature.

Well, what do you know. It's just a bad model somebody sold on Ebay.
Okay, lesson learned. That guy's pretty all right then. :mmmhmm:

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 17, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aetilus posted:

http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop-Cryla-Varnish_8672_8671.html

The matte version of this stuff is the loving bomb. Gotta shake it up for days first use, but it dries flat and solid as brick tits.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax

Fix posted:

The matte version of this stuff is the loving bomb. Gotta shake it up for days first use, but it dries flat and solid as brick tits.

haha the blurb about it takes itself so seriously. "environmental pollutants"

but you say it is pretty unnoticeable on the model?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

gently caress I need this, I was trying to figure out how to matte areas of my monpoc figures without spraying them and wrecking all the cool transparent plastic areas

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Aetilus posted:

haha the blurb about it takes itself so seriously. "environmental pollutants"

but you say it is pretty unnoticeable on the model?

Apart from the fact that they feel smooth, yeah. I did all my wraithguard, banshees, bikes, marines in it. Some of those are actually shinier now, but because of finger oils building up, they're so durable.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

bhsman posted:

You paint them...the same color? Also, green lenses on Alpha Legion? :psyduck::psyduck:

On the power armoured dudes it's the only green on the model. On the termies I'm painting the helmets green, hence green lenses won't work. I'll see what red looks like.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Bit late to the party but I wanted to chip in that everyone who has issues with white primer coverage should try Army Painter white spray, it's got a fantastic smooth even cover in one coat. Anyone with fuzzyness issues either sprayed in too hot/cold weather or didn't shake the can properly.

white primer 4 lyfe

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That matte varnish looks like the stuff they use in the model masterclass book, which is probably a pretty good reference.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Bit late to the party but I wanted to chip in that everyone who has issues with white primer coverage should try Army Painter white spray, it's got a fantastic smooth even cover in one coat. Anyone with fuzzyness issues either sprayed in too hot/cold weather or didn't shake the can properly.

white primer 4 lyfe

It's probably the best white primer I've tried, excellent coverage, can be a bit tricky though because it goes on thick very easily if you try doing too much in one go.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Just curious if anyone knows a link to either a good tutorial or video tutorial of wet blending when it comes to miniatures? I understand the concept and all but doesn't the actual paint dry out too fast, or are there special additives to make it last longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Rikthor posted:

Just curious if anyone knows a link to either a good tutorial or video tutorial of wet blending when it comes to miniatures? I understand the concept and all but doesn't the actual paint dry out too fast, or are there special additives to make it last longer?

Yus, there are various retarders out there that stop your paint drying up stupid quick. Don't ask me what they are because wet blending is a dark art that I've never bothered dabbling in.

• Locked thread