Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

IsaacNewton posted:

@ 3.7v?

I'm sorry if I'm annoying with my questions.

Yeah, 3.7 or 1S, whichever your charger says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

drat, people are just throwing cars at you :)

Don't forget you'll need to rebuild the engine most likely, but since parts will probably be very hard to find you may as well find a easy to run and cheap .21 engine that is well-supported, like a Reedy, HPI, or something else.

the engine is still for sale at various stores, so parts shouldnt be an issue, when i pull the starter, it goes "POP" so i take that as a good sign, at least it is on a scooter. the car itself is only 2 years old, as it was released in 2008.

one of the rear shocks is completely ruined, as the bottom seal is gone, but it appears to be non rebuildable, but seeing that a new set only costs 14 pounds, it's not an issue either.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK so compression seems to still be in the engine, but did the guy run the engine dry and put in after-run oil after he last ran it? If not it may be full of rust and/or sludge.

With the shock, you can save quite a bit and just rebuild it with the right o-ring and the correct parts tree (to get the bottom seal).

Looks like a pretty good score :)

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

OK so compression seems to still be in the engine, but did the guy run the engine dry and put in after-run oil after he last ran it? If not it may be full of rust and/or sludge.

With the shock, you can save quite a bit and just rebuild it with the right o-ring and the correct parts tree (to get the bottom seal).

Looks like a pretty good score :)

yeah, i have absolutely no idea on that point, but the outside of the engine is rust free, although various screws and such were quite rusty. a vigorious scrubbing with a toothbrush and WD40 has rectified this particular problem.

i'll be having a friend over to show me the ropes regarding nitro cars, but i do have to ask, is a starter box REQUIRED or is it just a very nice addition?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
You need a starter box if it doesn't have a pull start / roto-start / traxxas starter. Otherwise they're just a little easier to use.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 15, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Starter boxes are very nice, if you get one you may as well spend a little extra and get one that you can change the motor position on, just in case you want a nitro on-road car down the road. There's two basic types: on-road and off-road, and the ones that can be converted. They don't cost much more and others might tell you it's a waste (since it's a dying class ATM) but if you find a cheap on-road nitro down the road (or, knowing you, someone gives you one) you'll be able to get it going easily.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Here's a pretty snazzy Lithium-only charger http://www.racers-edge.com/AC_1_3S_5Amp_Lipo_Life_Po_Balance_Charger_p/rcesc1500.htm

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I charged the batteries and they didn't blow up. I'm happy. :)

Now to get the stuff in the mail to repair my heli (Walkera 4g3, didn't have the $$ for a belt driven tail.). :(

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

kuffs It looks like a genuine FG car, there are molded logos on the radio box in those pictures. The tires are also genuine FG. Plus, if it is an actual Zenoah engine, then I would not think it was a clone. Clone cars usually have a piece of crap engine with them. Rich people can be dumb and have no idea what they have. I agree, ask the dude and see what he says.

Just stopping by to say look at the new goody I received in the mail today to add to my Baja... no more hours spent ripping out a diff. Ano'd in gun metal, currently one of I think three? in the world.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, you know what to look for - I totally missed the radio box. The engine has a serial number sticker as well, I don't know if clone engines have those. Hmmm if you want it (even to flip it for profit) and you have the space...get him to say 'yes' quick :)

I just flipped a large scale buggy (not a Baja) for major profit and have an on-road car (and another buggy) on fleabay. I'd post the listing because I don't expect anyone from the US will be interested (just interesting to look at), but I don't want to get in trouble.

And that diff case...wow :) I came to appreciate CNC alloy and woven graphite at about the same time (with the Pro 2 car)...still love the stuff!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I PM'd him to ask the make and model

quote:

its a ep-1 chassis but the gas version

As far as I can tell, that's a H.A.R.M. chassis. I wasn't able to find a 'matching' gas chassis on their website. All of the pictured stuff has tuned exhaust. I think this is also a 2wd, not 4wd. So blah. I don't care any more.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXNRX7&P=FR

My mind is currently boggling at this. Am I mistaken, or is that seriously a tiny little centrifugal supercharger for the Revo? Because holy poo poo...

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah it sure is. They're kind of silly, though. If you just spent $150 more on your engine you'd probably end up with better performance. I doubt they're very reliable, and I'd hate to make my nitro engines more difficult to tune.

this is all speculation, I've never tried one

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, I doubt I will ever buy one for my Revo, but the fact that they even make them is pretty loving cool. Those same guys also apparently produce a direct nitrous injection system for RC engines. I mean, most nitro cars are stupid quick as-is. I've driven my friend's Revo that he's selling me before, it was loving nutso fast already. I can't imagine what boosting it and putting a tiny little nitrous system on it would do :aaa:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
There's no denying that they are indeed cool. If they were about 1/3rd the price, I'd probably have one just for the sake of tooling around with it. But at $150, it's just too much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just posting a shoutout for kuffs, got the 3PM today and it looks even better than the photos he sent over. Haven't had a chance to charge up some batteries for it yet but it looks great, thanks again!

The antenna on these new receivers is so drat short :psyduck:

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm very glad you're happy with it :)

Also, the short antennas rule. On most of my cars I don't even bother running it outside the body. I just find a convenient place to catch the other end of the antenna straw and leave it be.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
'supercharger' and 'nitrous' things are gimmicks for suckers with too much cash. I know real RC R&D people who have tried them ;)

kuffs - I *think* the HARM stuff is kind of a copy of the FG design, but I don't know if the parts are interchangeable...that is definitely an FG radio box on that chassis though, you can see the logo upside down in one of the pictures.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Received this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10608&aff=205008 today, it's definitely not something i'd ever put on a car that costs more than 250 bucks, but for stuff like my DT-02 super fighter G it's just great!

it's made from nice plastics, is mated to it's receiver from the factory and it even has a port for plugging it into your computer for simulator use.

the problems begin when you use it, as it appears to have no failsafe, the Tx must be turned on before turning on the Rx, otherwise it just speeds on out there. i'm kinda spoiled by my nice graupner that prevents my car from destroying itself.

but hey, it's 25 dollars, extra Rx are 6 dollars or so and S&H is equally low, they even sent it wrapped in gift paper wishing me a happy birthday, oh you customs avoiding whippersnappers, you!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

IOwnCalculus posted:

Just posting a shoutout for kuffs, got the 3PM today and it looks even better than the photos he sent over. Haven't had a chance to charge up some batteries for it yet but it looks great, thanks again!

The antenna on these new receivers is so drat short :psyduck:
Spektrum/2.4GHz is awesome, and makes the cars more life like without the tall antenna sticking out

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

'supercharger' and 'nitrous' things are gimmicks for suckers with too much cash. I know real RC R&D people who have tried them ;)

The nitrous thing just seems dumb at face value. If you want more nitro, run a more aggressive mix. You're just going to gently caress up your tuning with that injector crap.

krushgroove posted:

kuffs - I *think* the HARM stuff is kind of a copy of the FG design, but I don't know if the parts are interchangeable...that is definitely an FG radio box on that chassis though, you can see the logo upside down in one of the pictures.

Well, HARM's website was so hard to navigate I didn't even bother. If you can't easily find kits and models in the US, it's gonna be hard to sell in the US.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

k-groove, so I spent some time today with someone you know quite well. Jason D from Team Durange/DRC. He is pretty cool. He made a stop by here for the day before heading down to the Cactus Classic in Arizona for the weekend.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:) recruiting no doubt! I heard just today he was in the US, that guy is always on business...I'll be attending his stag 'do in a couple of months, should be pretty crazy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The Team Durango car looks awesome by the way. If they weren't so ridiculously expensive (and without a US distributor) I'd totally have one.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Somewhat Heroic may have some info about a possible US distributor ;) but who knows

The car does look pretty cool, but remember the first version that Pavidis, Kinwald and Hara used was like $1000, so whatever price it is now is a relative bargain.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

k-groove, so I spent some time today with someone you know quite well. Jason D from Team Durange/DRC. He is pretty cool. He made a stop by here for the day before heading down to the Cactus Classic in Arizona for the weekend.

Heh, that's actually at the track I'll be racing at primarily...has been for ages, at their old location too, which my old man raced at.

I'm just glad we FINALLY have two dry weekends in a row. We've had three or four wet weekends back to back, which is just insane.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Pulled the glow plug from the engine today, it was nice and no rust, and the cylinder moved up and down freely. i should also receive parts to rebuild the rear dampers and a fuel filter, because i am not entirely sure that i cleaned the gas tank out properly (it was filled with a brown and green sludge, any idea what this could be?) the carburator moves freely and has no rust, so as it is, all i have to do is spend around a 100 bucks on it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Frobbe posted:

Pulled the glow plug from the engine today, it was nice and no rust, and the cylinder moved up and down freely. i should also receive parts to rebuild the rear dampers and a fuel filter, because i am not entirely sure that i cleaned the gas tank out properly (it was filled with a brown and green sludge, any idea what this could be?) the carburator moves freely and has no rust, so as it is, all i have to do is spend around a 100 bucks on it.

Sounds good, the slime in the tank is just old fuel. Dump it out and rinse out the tank with automotive brake cleaner (it's the same as motor spray & RC car cleaner) and some fresh nitro fuel. New fuel lines are a good thing since the old ones will have gunky fuel in them as well.

Nitro fuel absorbs moisture in the air, which is why I was saying the insides of the engine may be bad, the moisture in unburnt fuel will cause rust, etc.

Make sure to rinse out the air filter with fresh fuel (from the inside out) and put in a few drops of air filter oil.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

krushgroove posted:

Sounds good, the slime in the tank is just old fuel. Dump it out and rinse out the tank with automotive brake cleaner (it's the same as motor spray & RC car cleaner) and some fresh nitro fuel. New fuel lines are a good thing since the old ones will have gunky fuel in them as well.

Nitro fuel absorbs moisture in the air, which is why I was saying the insides of the engine may be bad, the moisture in unburnt fuel will cause rust, etc.

Make sure to rinse out the air filter with fresh fuel (from the inside out) and put in a few drops of air filter oil.

well there's a reason i could see into the carb, there was no airfilter, luckily i should receive one before this weekend where the car is going to be run, under the careful guidance from a friend with nitro experience :) but i do have After run oil and Air filter oil plus 4 liters of nitro in stock. and an engine stopper, although i have no idea where that thing has to be stuck in to stop it.

also got new fuel lines and a fuel filter incoming, the fuel lines are green, so's the air filter, to match the car :coal:

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 17, 2010

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

krushgroove posted:

Somewhat Heroic may have some info about a possible US distributor ;) but who knows

Haha, indeed. He is exploring all of his options while he is here in the US. I know that he had appointments to meet with some other companies as well. Their products are really innovative though! Some things that we have never seen before. It's cool to see designers really take kind of that artistic pride in their work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Haha, indeed. He is exploring all of his options while he is here in the US. I know that he had appointments to meet with some other companies as well. Their products are really innovative though! Some things that we have never seen before. It's cool to see designers really take kind of that artistic pride in their work.

You should talk to the guy who designed the Blitz then, he's that sort of designer.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Frobbe posted:

well there's a reason i could see into the carb, there was no airfilter, luckily i should receive one before this weekend where the car is going to be run, under the careful guidance from a friend with nitro experience :) but i do have After run oil and Air filter oil plus 4 liters of nitro in stock. and an engine stopper, although i have no idea where that thing has to be stuck in to stop it.

also got new fuel lines and a fuel filter incoming, the fuel lines are green, so's the air filter, to match the car :coal:

The engine stopper fits into the glow plug hole. Remove the glow plug and put it in instead. You use them to attach flywheels to the crank.

krushgroove posted:

Wait, so non-chlorinated brake cleaner is safe for rc plastics? Or just be careful not to get it anywhere?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've never heard of 'non-chlorinated' brake cleaner, but I used to see guys at tracks on both sides the pond using normal brake cleaner from auto parts stores instead of motor cleaner. I probably shouldn't share that but it's common knowledge anyway :) There's plastic & rubber parts in car brake areas, aren't there?

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

krushgroove posted:

There's plastic & rubber parts in car brake areas, aren't there?

Not really, other than the O-ring inside the caliper. Chlorinated brake cleaner will totally eat through plastic.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

IsaacNewton posted:

Not really, other than the O-ring inside the caliper. Chlorinated brake cleaner will totally eat through plastic.

OK well definitely don't use that.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
okay, whoever said that the old THunder TIger car i was about to receive was an EB4 is wrong :D it's a 10+ year old rally car. 10/1 2WD with an engine from a plane of some sort. spent an hour at the RC store having him checking it over and oiling various stuff. i'll have it run and tuned this weekend, it looks to be hella fun, mostly because it is so old but still functional. the engine is a thunder tiger gp-15bx(p) if that tells anyone anything.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

edit 1:

Okay, had the engine on this beast running today, albeit only for about 20 seconds until it stalled on me. this is because i have no bleeding idea what i am doing with regards to the engien settings, but at least i think i applied the after run oil properly. can't wait till saturday!

edit 2:

okay, i've noticed i used the word okay at the beginning of every paragraph in this post, is that okay?

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 18, 2010

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Frobbe, see if you can dig up the default needle settings for that engine. Thunder Tiger may have been kind enough to post a manual for it. Also, the glow plug is probably shot.

Does anyone have any good RC news sites they use? I'm going to let my RCCA subscription lapse. It's full of stuff that I don't really care about, as well as a lot of ads. I'm also not all that happy with the reviews.

I've got redrc.net in my rss reader right now. It seems to be decent reporting with a tasteful level of advertisement. (actually, NO ads in the rss feed as far as I can tell). But they're a little more race-centric. I see a lot of posts about who joined who's team, and I don't really care.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

kuffs posted:

Does anyone have any good RC news sites they use? I'm going to let my RCCA subscription lapse. It's full of stuff that I don't really care about, as well as a lot of ads. I'm also not all that happy with the reviews.

I've got redrc.net in my rss reader right now. It seems to be decent reporting with a tasteful level of advertisement. (actually, NO ads in the rss feed as far as I can tell). But they're a little more race-centric. I see a lot of posts about who joined who's team, and I don't really care.
I just frequent RedRC. The other thing you can do is just go to the Radio Control Zone forums for news and info. The OP's are the only thing worth reading because all of the members of the forums are utterly brain dead.

And as far as ads go, woohoo to using FireFox with the script ad blocker. Loads that site a TON faster.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

kuffs posted:

Frobbe, see if you can dig up the default needle settings for that engine. Thunder Tiger may have been kind enough to post a manual for it. Also, the glow plug is probably shot.

As luck would have it, i received the original manual and even the original box with the car, how that thing's survived fourteen years in the hands of various 15 year old kids i have no idea. it's got the default settings and all the part numbers, even though they are kinda useless (parts numbers) as i can't even find any other mentions of this car on the internet, although that might just be me failing at using google properly.

in other news, i traded my TT-01E for a Walkera Dragonfly 60B (apparently the B stands for brushless?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Red RC is only race stuff, Neobuggy is only 1/8th buggy racing, Radio Control Zone is kind of everything else. There's a few other sites but these are the major ones.