Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Black88GTA posted:

Any recs?

Maybe shoot these guys an email and ask them for some tips? They do awesome work and support the Mustang community a bunch.

http://www.mirrorfinishpolishing.com/

This is all polish, no chrome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sharkytm posted:

You really can't gently caress up the manifold unless you punch a hole or gently caress up the flanges.

I'm talking just visually not functionally, like if you accidentally made a nice gouge in it. Not like you can just throw some body filler in it.

Sock loves to torture himself working on rusted out husks of cars everyone else would have hauled to the wrecker, and he gave up on this, if that's any indication of how miserable this will be to do yourself.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Stopped at Harbor Freight on my way home today. I'm doing some suspension work pretty soon and wanted some 1/2" drive tools in case I had stubborn bolts. I came back happy:

25" long 1/2" drive breaker bar. $11.99 on sale

21 piece 1/2" drive socket set, $29.99 on sale

(I'm not so sure about that push-button ratchet, but that's not why I bought the set anyway. I think of it as a socket set that comes with a free ratchet!)

Then I picked up some stuff for around the house, so I don't have to run out and get my tools out of my trunk all the time.

Simple little universal screwdriver, $1.49 on clearance (holy poo poo!)

Lockjaw needle nose pliers, $4.29 regular price (this was the only size they had in stock :( I like to use these to open soy sauce, those drat caps always loving seal shut)

Total cost was $51.10 after taxes. I'd say I made out alright.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Only 1/2" ?

3/4" :smug:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Lowclock posted:

Sock loves to torture himself working on rusted out husks of cars everyone else would have hauled to the wrecker, and he gave up on this, if that's any indication of how miserable this will be to do yourself.

It's a lot of time standing there. Hope you have some thoughts to get in order or happen to like what's on the radio that day.

I decided to get lazy and just paint everything instead.

EDIT: poo poo, reply isn't edit.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sockington posted:

Only 1/2" ?

:colbert:

(We have a number of them at work - 3/4" drive, 40" long)

(and I have seen them broken.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

Stopped at Harbor Freight on my way home today. I'm doing some suspension work pretty soon and wanted some 1/2" drive tools in case I had stubborn bolts. I came back happy:

Everyone should have that breaker bar. I have the 1/2" and the 3/4" plus a few smaller BBs I inherited. Free tools are the best.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should have that breaker bar. I have the 1/2" and the 3/4" plus a few smaller BBs I inherited. Free tools are the best.

That 1/2" breaker works great for just about everything, but it's juuuust barely too small for really stubborn axle nuts. I use it anyway since I'm too cheap to get a 3/4", and it gets kind of scary putting your whole body weight on the 1/2" and watching the gap where the swivel is attached open up almost half an inch.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Sockington posted:

Only 1/2" ?

Until the 3/4-1/2 adapter shears off. (not saying yours is cheap, or will break)

I had a cheap rear end tool set that had a 3/8" wrench and 1/4" sockets with an adapter, it sheared off the first time I tried to break something lose.

My friend sheared his 1/2 - 3/8 adapter too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

D C posted:

Until the 3/4-1/2 adapter shears off. (not saying yours is cheap, or will break)

It says "Princess Auto" on it. It's cheap. :v:

I made sure to buy a couple of those adapters - lest I break one is a moment of need.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Aceshighxxx posted:

That 1/2" breaker works great for just about everything, but it's juuuust barely too small for really stubborn axle nuts.
That's why they make pipe, and lifetime tool warranties.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dv6speed posted:

That's why they make pipe, and lifetime tool warranties.

That new breaker bar I bought says specifically not to use an extension to the length.

:rolleyes: yeah right like I'm going to listen to that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Aceshighxxx posted:

That 1/2" breaker works great for just about everything, but it's juuuust barely too small for really stubborn axle nuts. I use it anyway since I'm too cheap to get a 3/4", and it gets kind of scary putting your whole body weight on the 1/2" and watching the gap where the swivel is attached open up almost half an inch.

Get a cheap torque multiplier and never worry about anything being too tight again.

This one outputs up to 1000lb-ft with a 1/2" wrench.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but doesn't that multiplier only work on things like lugnuts? Useless if you can't anchor it somehow.

The breaker bars are so cheap that I have both a 3/8" and a 1/2" drive version of the HF bar. Protip, the 1/2" HF breaker bar, combined with a 21mm Craftsman socket, will let you get the crank bolt off of a NB Miata without loosening or removing the front swaybar at all.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah but doesn't that multiplier only work on things like lugnuts? Useless if you can't anchor it somehow.

That one requires an anchor, but they make ones that don't. They're just a simple gear reduction drive. The only problem with them is they tend to get expensive, fast.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

frozenphil posted:

That one requires an anchor, but they make ones that don't. They're just a simple gear reduction drive. The only problem with them is they tend to get expensive, fast.

drat just looked at them and they started at around $180 on ebay and were all 1/2" input to 3/4" output with one from northern tool at $203. :( I cant see why theyre so expensive though, is it just a planetary gearset?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Harbor Freight posted:

Creates 30 times more torque than a standard lug wrench, making it easy to shear off wheel studs.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

drat just looked at them and they started at around $180 on ebay and were all 1/2" input to 3/4" output with one from northern tool at $203. :( I cant see why theyre so expensive though, is it just a planetary gearset?

Pretty much, yeah (link has exploded diagrams). There are definitely cheaper ways to remove an axle nut, but if you happen to have access to a torque multiplier they are the best way to do it. I got to play with this bigass 4 stage multiplier at the shop. I used a standard 1/2" ratchet and one hand to break a 1" bolt loose that had been tack welded on 4 sides to a nut that was welded to a plate. It ruled.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

frozenphil posted:

Pretty much, yeah (link has exploded diagrams). There are definitely cheaper ways to remove an axle nut, but if you happen to have access to a torque multiplier they are the best way to do it. I got to play with this bigass 4 stage multiplier at the shop. I used a standard 1/2" ratchet and one hand to break a 1" bolt loose that had been tack welded on 4 sides to a nut that was welded to a plate. It ruled.

Seeing that I guess it makes sense why quality ones cost so much even as commerical tools. Still I wish some chinese company would copy it and make a million of them.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Splizwarf posted:

Harbor Freight posted:

Creates 30 times more torque than a standard lug wrench, making it easy to shear off wheel studs.

If I had to shear off a lug or stud in order to get back on the road when I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, sign me up.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
In my experience, if a lug is getting sheared off, it's going to happen no matter what tool you are using, because some rear end in a top hat cross threaded it, or it's rusted/corroded really bad.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
In my experience Kia Rio lugnuts are on tight enough from the factory to shear the studs. The studs are aluminum, there's only 4, and if driven on only 3 there's a 100% (3 out of 3 times in this woman's case) chance of snapping at least 1 more stud on the drive to the dealership. When they all go, the wheel folds under the car, which is actually sort of convenient. The entire wheel assembly needs to come apart to replace a sheared stud, and none of it is covered under warranty because the studs are on the disposable items list.

Every time I see her in that car I'm torn between sympathy and :laugh:. Then I remember how horrible she is and the sympathy just drifts away on the breeze.

The rest of my experience with sheared wheel studs is probably rust, yeah.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Has anyone ever used a Thru-Ratchet? I was given some crazy Kobalt 110 piece set that goes up to 1.25 inch sockets but I'm not sold on the design. I'm strongly considering returning it and getting something more like a Gear Wrench for even tighter spaces. Thoughts?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Has anyone ever used a Thru-Ratchet? I was given some crazy Kobalt 110 piece set that goes up to 1.25 inch sockets but I'm not sold on the design. I'm strongly considering returning it and getting something more like a Gear Wrench for even tighter spaces. Thoughts?

They work fine as long as you don't put much torque on them. Real handy for putting a nut on a really long bolt like you'd find working on a deck or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cat Hatter posted:

I have a small set and it's very specialized for when I use it (on my motorcycle to tighten a jam nut while using a tiny screw driver through the middle to keep the screw from turning). I'd think Gear Wrenches would get more use.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

frozenphil posted:

They work fine as long as you don't put much torque on them. Real handy for putting a nut on a really long bolt like you'd find working on a deck or something.

Also handy for strut top bolts.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I accidentally bought this on my lunch break. 20% off coupon = $175, and I also had one of those free flashlight coupons!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ab0z posted:

I accidentally bought this on my lunch break. 20% off coupon = $175, and I also had one of those free flashlight coupons!

I looked at that on wednesday. I just couldn't justify it. I only have a few parts that need blasting and I'm drat near out of space in the garage.

<sigh> Maybe after I move.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
My problem now is that I need a much bigger compressor.
I might get it in the form of moving to a new shop that has a real production grade compressor and lines plumbed throughout the shop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ab0z posted:

I might get it in the form of moving to a new shop that has a real production grade compressor and lines plumbed throughout the shop.

I'm looking at a house with a 2 car garage and work space so I'd have plenty of room but I'm at least 4 months away from moving. Trying to curb my tool buying until then.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

ab0z posted:

I'll send you some pictures of our garage compressor setup if you like. 200ish gallon tank system, 5hp continuous compressor and three regulators plumbed with hard line. I can't remember off hand what the CFM of the setup is but we've never had to wait for it to fill up while we're using a ton of air tools.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ab0z posted:

So jealous. I really could have used one while doing the body work and such on my Mustang. Naturally, the shop went and bought one the day after my car came back from paint and I moved it to a different garage to finish it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A few months ago I picked up this to run my basic air tools
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

Now I also have another HF compressor with a burned out switch. I think it's this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93271

I've seen multi tank setups and I was wondering if it would be worthwhile or possibly to rig the 2 together.

Thoughts?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I'll send you some pictures of our garage compressor setup if you like. 200ish gallon tank system, 5hp continuous compressor and three regulators plumbed with hard line. I can't remember off hand what the CFM of the setup is but we've never had to wait for it to fill up while we're using a ton of air tools.

Yeah I'd certainly be interested. The shop I might be moving to is already set up, some really cool guys from the area work on all kinds of neat stuff there. Nash Laffeyette 400, datsun 2000 roadster, 68 jaguar e-type, various 60s corvettes. It's two brothers that meet up every saturday morning and work on these projects.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I'd like to see this too.

Rhyno posted:

Thoughts?

Multi-tank works fine if you've got the space, but that HF compressor pump might not like having to fill an extra 21 gallons.

I went the reverse, I've got two pumps filling one tank. :pwn:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I would like to buy a welder soon, and wonder were the best place to buy one is. I am in canada, so there might be way higher prices here then down in the states, but where to I start comparing?

I am looking for a 220v mig, have around 1500 cdn for the whole kit, welder, autodarkening helmet and cart. Don't really need the 220v, but I only want to buy 1 welder and friends have needed more than their 120 can put out. Most of what it would be used for is sheetmetal, and maybe a Locost frame if I ever get off my rear end.

I was thinking I should just pony up and get a miller next time they go on sale for $1k or so, but are there any new options I should be looking for? Is the autoset and all that worth more? I think the last one I looked at was a miller 180, are there new/better options? What should I be looking to spend on one of those? I am wary of used welders because I have seen how people use them, and I am kind of lazy when it comes down to calling someone and driving to their house to be the first one to pick up a good deal.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Licoln or Miller. Don't bother with anything else.

Something like this from Lincoln or this from Miller will do everything you want. I like Miller, but preference really is just personal opinion at this level; like Ford or Chevy.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2010

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Licoln or Miller. Don't bother with anything else. You really don't need to worry about any features or anything for what you're looking to do. Just compare duty cycle and you'll be set.

http://www.weldingmart.com/item/Millermatic_180_AUTOSET_W/RUN_GEAR/CYL_RACK:230V_60HZ_1PH/2281

Just something like that? Is there a harbor freight for welders? Here in canada we have KMS and Princess auto, plus the welding stores. I guess the next step is go into the welding stores and see if they will give me a deal.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

blindjoe posted:

http://www.weldingmart.com/item/Millermatic_180_AUTOSET_W/RUN_GEAR/CYL_RACK:230V_60HZ_1PH/2281

Just something like that? Is there a harbor freight for welders? Here in canada we have KMS and Princess auto, plus the welding stores. I guess the next step is go into the welding stores and see if they will give me a deal.

Yeah, I actually edited my post above with that welder. It's a drat good piece that will do whatever you're willing to tackle in your garage.

Harbor Freight welders work, but not well. Check out their duty cycle; most are like 10% or something absurd. That means you can only use them for 2 minutes out of every 10.

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Two things...

First harbor freight has some nice tubing cutters for $5. 1/8-1.25" capacity.

Second, they have these fairly large tubes of epoxy for sale. Which only have .2oz of epoxy in them. That was upsetting to discover.

Tonight I need to clean my garage, so I can use my freaking tools.