Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I honestly use an ergonomic chair. . . I don't know why I feel so comfy on one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!
I've had the IKEA PATRIK swivel chair for a few years now and I love it. Solid, sturdy, adjustable (up and down, tilt back or locked upright) and the only chair I could find that made my lower back pain go away.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70074950

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Save up for longer, buy a better chair and only have to do it once?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I bought this puppy after I broke my old goon-throne:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/715350/Realspace-Hoyton-High-Back-Bonded-Leather/

As far as cheap Office Depot chairs go, it's pretty good.

Alas, my Aeron fund was not large enough yet, and I was getting pretty sick of using one of the dining room chairs at home. So bought Goon Throne Mk II.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'm thinking to get one of these since I do minimum 8 hours per day in front of a machine.

Ikea: ÄLVROS Swivel/ rocking/ reclining/ armchair

I sat in it and it was really comfortable, comfortable enough to doze off in.
I have an injured ankle so having the flip up leg rest to keep it elevated will be all kinds of awesome I hope. My only gripe is it won't swivel with the leg rest elevated, but thats a small issue I guess.

Combine the chair with:

BRÄDA: Laptop support

and you can comfortably bring the kyboard to your lap too.

I saw a couple of teenager gamer type with proper living room cahirs, and it just struck me as being the proper solution to long sessions. As good as office chairs are, they just don't seem to be actually comfortable for extended periods of time. I've been through more than I care to mention, so I want one that will last more than 6 months before developing some annoying squeak, tilt to one side type of quirk.

It does mean I have to keep my desk very low (the actual seat height is appx 50cm), but my desk is height adjustable so thats not an issue.

e: I posted this picture before, but I've since moved appartment and I'm in the process of setting up again.
Basically, I now have a very small office type space to do my gooning from.

e:2, that's not me but gf

url fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 17, 2010

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Save up for longer, buy a better chair and only have to do it once?

I can't. My current chair is falling apart and I work at it a lot, and I just can't budget 900+ dollars on chair right now, especially because at that price point it is as much about design as it is comfort. The problem isn't the lack of 300-500 dollar task chairs. The problem is the number of stores that carry them. I am making calls to a couple office chair distributers now to see if they have any way for me to sit in one before I order. It just seems that at this price range no one has them on the floor, it is all mail/online order.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Juriko posted:

I can't. My current chair is falling apart and I work at it a lot, and I just can't budget 900+ dollars on chair right now

Fair enough then!

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Cleaned the nerd cave. Probably time for another posting. iPhone 3Gs take lovely, lovely pictures.

And the other side. I literally have to take 0 steps to get from my bed to my chair and back. It's wonderful in a goony way.

I am really proud of this. No more living like poo poo! Picked this up from Ikea this past weekend. It's amazing.

This part I'm not so proud of. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with top-of-desk cabling?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

glompix posted:

This part I'm not so proud of. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with top-of-desk cabling?

Your Dell monitor has a clip on the back of its stand. You should run everything you can through it.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Zorilla posted:

Your Dell monitor has a clip on the back of its stand. You should run everything you can through it.

this.

also black velcro straps or cable ties, and maybe look at attaching a tray at the underside & back of the desk.

Ikea do a couple of cheap & tidy solutions:
GALANT: Cable organiser

GALANT: Cable trunking

SIGNUM: Cable organiser

apols for imagesocket, imgur is being a spaz.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009
I'll second the velcro cable ties. I've used up a bunch of them and I've got this on the way:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Y5O6/

Let me tell you, that $8.86 buys a whole lot of compulsive organizing value. Once I've cleaned up the remainder of my cables I think I'll go through my storage of random parts and cables and replace all of my twist ties and then scrub my bathtub oh must make it clean it can never be clean I will make it clean

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

url posted:

Ikea

Yeah one of those things is actually in my pictures; there should be a link. You can't really see it, but the little monitor clip thing is already well occupied by excess mouse cabling, so I can't really fit a lot more in there. Still, the iPhone cable fit at least and that was my main annoyance. How I forget about that thing I'm not sure. There's a piece of loom back there for the cables to occupy until they get to the cable tray. I'm just being an anal gently caress about it because some of you guys have amazing setups. :smith:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Cross-posted from A/V. I trimmed the fat a bit.

Desk is the Jake from West Elm. HDMI and stereo adapter wrap around the room to:

An LG 47LH40. I've got a wireless 360 controller adapter so I can play games from the couch.

Still a bit sparse, but I'm not finished yet. Just broke at the moment.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Cross-posted from A/V. I trimmed the fat a bit.

I have always loved that desk a lot. If you don't need all the space or a million drawers it is slick as hell.

Sparse: Honestly if you had a more modern couch or slipcovered it, put a decent painting above the couch and had a shelf that matched the other furniture you would be looking pretty slick. If they let you paint I think you could either mirror the floor color or use a darker gray on the ceiling and you would have a really slick looking modern little apartment.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Juriko posted:

Sparse: Honestly if you had a more modern couch or slipcovered it, put a decent painting above the couch and had a shelf that matched the other furniture you would be looking pretty slick. If they let you paint I think you could either mirror the floor color or use a darker gray on the ceiling and you would have a really slick looking modern little apartment.

Yeah, the book shelf is starting to bother me as well. I may try my hand at sanding and refinishing it myself. If not, I'll probably give it away.

The couch actually is slip-covered. It looks a bit weird in photographs but in person it's much nicer, it's got texture to it.

The overall plan does include plenty of art, a coffee table and rug, and getting those boxes all packed away out of sight. Might even put a bench/trunk under the window depending on how much room we've got leftover.

Just bear in mind this is what it looked like a week ago:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Yeah, the book shelf is starting to bother me as well. I may try my hand at sanding and refinishing it myself. If not, I'll probably give it away.

The couch actually is slip-covered. It looks a bit weird in photographs but in person it's much nicer, it's got texture to it.

The overall plan does include plenty of art, a coffee table and rug, and getting those boxes all packed away out of sight. Might even put a bench/trunk under the window depending on how much room we've got leftover.

Just bear in mind this is what it looked like a week ago:

Hah I have the same couch, I love that drat thing. I actually removed the feet and bolted casters to it though. I am in the process of actually upholstering it as opposed to the slipcover style it comes in. I just store all my crap under by bed. Me and my roommate moved from a rather cheap but large apartment in an inconvenient area to a much smaller but more expensive place in a great area, and I have had to get creative in my storage. I basically live out of my little 10'x10' bedroom now.

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

Juriko posted:

Hah I have the same couch, I love that drat thing. I actually removed the feet and bolted casters to it though. I am in the process of actually upholstering it as opposed to the slipcover style it comes in. I just store all my crap under by bed. Me and my roommate moved from a rather cheap but large apartment in an inconvenient area to a much smaller but more expensive place in a great area, and I have had to get creative in my storage. I basically live out of my little 10'x10' bedroom now.

I bet that thing would fly on casters :science:

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Sultry Fungus posted:

I bet that thing would fly on casters :science:

I live on a hill and you have no loving idea how tempted I have been to try that.

Virusitis
Feb 23, 2010
My desk used to be immaculate. Dorm life did this to me.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Virusitis posted:

My desk used to be immaculate. Dorm life did this to me.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I was wondering, "Why's his trackpad all the way on the left?" and then I realized you had a numpad on your keyboard.

Virusitis
Feb 23, 2010

krnhotwings posted:

I was wondering, "Why's his trackpad all the way on the left?" and then I realized you had a numpad on your keyboard.

Yea, that stupid thing is beastly, it never moves off the cooling pad (on account of the sheer number of things plugged into it and its massive weight.)

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
After calling around I just ended up getting the Reaction. At 300 bucks it is a bit more than a similar office depot etc. task chair, but Herman Millers warranty is hard to beat as is costcos return policy. It is pretty heavy duty as well. Not as pretty as a Think or an Embody, but it will get the job done.

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen
Ikeatastic

Click here for the full 1646x1094 image.

Kanzen fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 18, 2010

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
Just got a new desk (finally!) and going to put in new floors.

I'll post pics once it's all done, since i'll finally have a desk where i'm not living like poo poo.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

glompix posted:

I'm just being an anal gently caress about it because some of you guys have amazing setups. :smith:

i'm the same, i hate seeing gorgeous setups simply because i'm horribly jealous and inferior.

Chompsky Honk
Aug 28, 2009

by T. Finninho

What chair is this?

Chompsky Honk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 19, 2010

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

BigPoopMayor posted:

What chair is this?

Looks like a Herman Miller Mirra.

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen

Zorilla posted:

Looks like a Herman Miller Mirra.

It is in fact a Mirra, one of the most comfortable chairs I've owned.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Finally got my desk and office setup in the new apartment. Yay for Ikea

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
the desk

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

the room

Click here for the full 1800x503 image.

I gotta do something with the walls.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
At this moment, my desk is a mess.

Aw, who am I kidding, it always looks like this. CBF to clean it off.

Also, sorry for downsized cell phone pics. My microSD adapter is making GBS threads the bed lately. Had to pic msg them to myself.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

SMP posted:

:swoon:

Anyway, here's my current setup. After seeing that picture though I feel inadequate.

What monitor is that?

army_of_babies
Dec 5, 2004
Fighting for your color TVs

Triggs posted:

What monitor is that?

Looks like a 32" Vizio TV.

I'm not a fan of using a TV as a monitor, the DPI is just too low (unless your using it to make reading easier).

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was debating posting this since it's not done, but I got so mad at Centipeed for making fun of my setup...

paradigmm posted:

Centipeed posted:

Do all of those wires need to be on the desk? I mean, are they too short to fall behind it or something?

If there's some rational explanation, then sure, but I don't understand how anyone could deal with that.

Ikea Galant corner desk with a few extensions:

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Some cheap Home Depot poo poo:

Click here for the full 972x1296 image.

These are the best Ikea cable hiders (of 3 types):

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Rotating plug surge protector:

Click here for the full 972x1296 image.

Still to do:
- wall mount the TV
- wireless keyboard/mouse
- chair roll mat
- tuck speaker wires behind table leg lol
- replace hosed up wall plates
- paint white metal rack pieces wall color?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

WIRES :argh:

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Hung Yuri posted:

OH GOD WHY.

Z
Jun 25, 2002

Things are kind of messy, I was working today.

Click here for the full 1024x731 image.

Imipolex G
Apr 1, 2009

Hung Yuri posted:

Velcro strips: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Y5O6/

Have some self-respect, man!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my little poor-man's station. i still have a trackball mouse and lack a computer chair that is actually comfortable to sit in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Imipolex G posted:

Velcro strips: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E1Y5O6/

Have some self-respect, man!

Mine isn't nearly that bad, but my wires are never perfect either. Biggest problem I have is a lot of stuff gets moved around quite a bit, so "perfect cable management" ends up being more of a pain in the rear end than its worth.