Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I have a rediculously specific request for a keyboard that likely does not exist, but I figure if I have any chance of finding what I want it would be here.

I'm currently using a Razer Lycosa, and while it is a very nice keyboard it has one big and idiotic sounding problem; you can't press 2 WASD keys while capslock is down. This may sound useless, but capslock is my vent button and I quite like it. My dilemma now is that I would like a keyboard with laptop style keys and without that rollover, but razer seems to be the only company that makes any keyboards with these keys, and they all have this rollover problem. Media keys would be nice but are a distant third to my other needs.

I'd be grateful if someone knew of a keyboard that satisfies these semi-absurd requirements.

EDIT: closest I've managed to find is the Roccat Valo which is annoyingly difficult to purchase in the US for under 150 dollars. I'm looking in the 100 dollar or lower range.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

bloodynose posted:

KeyTweak will let you remap every key, works everywhere as far as I know.

:(

doesn't catch the steelseries left windows key
(steelseries say it is hardcoded for their functions)

Full Circle posted:

I have a rediculously specific request for a keyboard that likely does not exist, but I figure if I have any chance of finding what I want it would be here.

I'm currently using a Razer Lycosa, and while it is a very nice keyboard it has one big and idiotic sounding problem; you can't press 2 WASD keys while capslock is down. This may sound useless, but capslock is my vent button and I quite like it. My dilemma now is that I would like a keyboard with laptop style keys and without that rollover, but razer seems to be the only company that makes any keyboards with these keys, and they all have this rollover problem. Media keys would be nice but are a distant third to my other needs.

I'd be grateful if someone knew of a keyboard that satisfies these semi-absurd requirements.

EDIT: closest I've managed to find is the Roccat Valo which is annoyingly difficult to purchase in the US for under 150 dollars. I'm looking in the 100 dollar or lower range.

not to toot my own horn, but steelseries 7G is supposed to have awesome n-key rollover. before you jump onto one, bear this in mind (which mirrors my own opinion)

Killgasm posted:

Checking in with a steelseries 7g I picked up at fry's with a giftcard.

Coming from ....[snip] it's awesome. I was looking at the filco but I wanted cherry blacks and the wrist wrest, although huge, is comfortable as hell.

My only gripe is the small backspace key.

url fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 17, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

url posted:

:(

doesn't catch the steelseries left windows key
(steelseries say it is hardcoded for their functions)

not to toot my own horn, but steelseries 7G is supposed to have awesome n-key rollover. before you jump onto one, bear this in mind (which mirrors my own opinion)

Unfortunately it has big mechanichal keys which I really dislike. The closest I've come to what I want has been the microsoft sidewinder which from what I've read has rollover problems and some other issues. I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

Have you looked at this one?

logitech Illuminated Keyboard

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=us,en

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

malefactor posted:

That's pretty much perfect except I'm reading a lot about problems with key ghosting etc. :(

EDIT: I don't know if it is due to retarded users or a change in the product construction, but some reviews are heaping praise of how the keyboard can handle as many keypresses as they can throw at it while others claim that it flips out with w + spacebar depressed simultaneously.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 17, 2010

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Full Circle posted:

Unfortunately it has big mechanichal keys which I really dislike. The closest I've come to what I want has been the microsoft sidewinder which from what I've read has rollover problems and some other issues. I'm beginning to think I'm SOL.

yeah, my bad, i re-read and saw you wanted the laptop style keys.
I had a lycosa too, and whilst i did like it, i ended up returning to big 'ol "proper" keys. These aren't the clicky Model M types though.

malefactor has suggested the same thing I was going to.
Alot of people I've spoken to really like the logitech.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If anyone has a Steelseries 7G, could you tell me the dimensions without the huge, honking wristrest? All the information I've found counts the rest and I definitely don't have the space for that thing.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

malefactor posted:

I just bought this keyboard within the last month and haven't had any issues playing games with it. What is the ghosting problem people are talking about? I love this thing compared to my crappy old eclipse II. The shorter keystroke really feels like it makes a difference in typing speed. It's also the first keyboard I've had that I actually use the media keys.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Pen Expers posted:

I just bought this keyboard within the last month and haven't had any issues playing games with it. What is the ghosting problem people are talking about? I love this thing compared to my crappy old eclipse II. The shorter keystroke really feels like it makes a difference in typing speed. It's also the first keyboard I've had that I actually use the media keys.

key "ghosting" is generally if you hold down lets say 3 keys then let go of 2 of them but they continue to register while the third is held down.

From some basic newegg reviews some people have problems ranging from shift-w or ctrl-spacebar to something more complex like W-D-shift-r. Thing is I don't want to deal with that and in a worst case scenario I'd like mine to be able to register capslock + any 2 WASD keys + spacebar + number keys or letters adjacent to WASD.

...Goddamn this sounds goony as hell.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 17, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Sorry for the double post, but if someone does have the logitech illuminated keyboard could you by any chance go here and see if wasd + some other keys are still responsive with capslock depressed?

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

Sorry for the double post, but if someone does have the logitech illuminated keyboard could you by any chance go here and see if wasd + some other keys are still responsive with capslock depressed?

Interesting

if I press:

W + A + S + D + cps +shift + ctrl

I can still hit any key.

if i press:

y + g + h + j

I can't hit "p"

I think they gave WASD their own dedicated paths.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

malefactor posted:

Interesting

if I press:

W + A + S + D + cps +shift + ctrl

I can still hit any key.

if i press:

y + g + h + j

I can't hit "p"

I think they gave WASD their own dedicated paths.

Impressive! If you're using that logitech illuminated keyboard it just became an instant purchase for me.

I've read way way too much into this in the last few days and apparently that 5 key limitation is imposed by usb itself and you can't go any higher. The razer just unfortunately didn't consider people would be using capslock while gaming.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

Full Circle posted:

Impressive! If you're using that logitech illuminated keyboard it just became an instant purchase for me.

I've read way way too much into this in the last few days and apparently that 5 key limitation is imposed by usb itself and you can't go any higher. The razer just unfortunately didn't consider people would be using capslock while gaming.

Thats the one I'm using. I have never seen anyone talk about it negatively in any way.

huh, sometimes it get confused when i have WASD + ctrl + shift + another key, but if i take a finger off WASD it gets better.

It can definitively do WASD + cpslock + other keys

malefactor fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 18, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

malefactor posted:

Thats the one I'm using. I have never seen anyone talk about it negatively in any way.

Yeah, the reviews on newegg are ludicrously good. I don't think I've ever seen a product with so few non-5 star reviews. Definitely gonna swing by best buy tomorrow. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Full Circle posted:

Yeah, the reviews on newegg are ludicrously good. I don't think I've ever seen a product with so few non-5 star reviews. Definitely gonna swing by best buy tomorrow. Thanks!

I'll vouch for it as well. I've been playing tons of Modern Warfare 2 and Bad Company 2 with no issues.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
I ordered a Das Keyboard Professional S Silent model and wasn't real happy with it. It was fairly loud but didn't have the click. I couldn't really feel much of a tactile click either. It was a little better than a regular keyboard, but I wasn't blown away, and for $130, I wanted to be. I've tried the regular one (non silent) and enjoyed it, so I requested a refund.

Are the filco's as light and snappy as the regular Das Keyboard? I was pretty much set on trying a regular Filco with Cherry Blues next, but I came back to this thread and you guys have me looking into the Topre switches for 100bux more. I want the lightest presses possible, a little nice click, and instant recovery back to the regular button position. Should I give the Filco a shot? Jump straight to the HHKB2 or Realforce 103UB?

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 2, 2010

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

ScumTricycle posted:

I ordered a Das Keyboard Professional S Silent model and wasn't real happy with it. It was fairly loud but didn't have the click. I couldn't really feel much of a tactile click either. It was a little better than a regular keyboard, but I wasn't blown away, and for $130, I wanted to be. I've tried the regular one (non silent) and enjoyed it, so I requested a refund.

Are the filco's as light and snappy as the regular Das Keyboard? I was pretty much set on trying a regular Filco with Cherry Blues next, but I came back to this thread and you guys have me looking into the Topre switches for 100bux more. I want the lightest presses possible, a little nice click, and instant recovery back to the regular button position. Should I give the Filco a shot? Jump straight to the HHKB2?

I don't think the Topres are what you are looking for. They don't click at all. They do have a very light accurate touch, but they feel like stiff rubber domes (which they are). They have a satisfying thud when you bottom out, and couldn't be more accurate. They activate exactly 1/3 of the way down every time. The rollover/controller is flawless. It's just not all that tactile. I go back and forth between my realforce 87u and my cherry brown filco, which is nice and crispy. I'd like to try some blues, but I can't comment on those yet.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Sounds like you want Topres. Just for the price you better really be sure you want them over Cherries.

I love mine, but I can't honestly say I would have bought one sight unseen without having tried a friend's first.

If you have the cash, go for it. I recommend the Realforce over the HHKB though unless you really like the modifier keys. I'm as fast with function+arrow keys as I am on a normal keyboard, but it drives people berserk when they try it themselves at work.

They don't really have a 'click' though. They have nice sound and you can feel the cup activate really well, but if you're looking for that mechanical sound keep in mind they are rubber cups (just really, really high end ones).

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
I just popped a button off of the Das Keyboard Silent I have and they seem to be Cherry Brown switches. I originally ordered it because I didn't want to drive my roommates insane with clickidyclaking. I just feel something is lost in the switch from Cherry blues to Cherry browns. Is there a significant quality difference between Filco and Das Keyboard if the switches are the same? Return for the regular DasKeyboard with blue switches? Get the Filco blue switch?

I did a bit of reading and watched a video here that pretty much let me know the Topre wasn't what I was looking for, unless they offer some sort of tactile experience I couldn't notice in the video. Thanks for the help.

edit: Maybe I should try the o-ring thing on my DasKeyboard? Take the noise out, and Cherry Browns seem to require the least amount of force of the group anyhow, so maybe it's the best option. If Filco are way better quality I'll still trade out, but if it is a trivial difference maybe I'll just stick with the DasKeyboard.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 2, 2010

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Full Circle posted:

Yea, playing with this it seems I got the same result as malefactor. I usually play games with ESDF instead of WASD and I could still hold down the same number of keys (7 being max) both ways.

I really couldn't recommend this keyboard more, my typing speed is faster with the quicker response from it having a shorter keystroke, its pretty well built and it looks really nice.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
My Filco is starting to look really gross with the key coating coming off, so I took some pictures and sent them to elitekeyboards.com's customer service. They responded and said that they would send me a whole new set of non-coated key caps!

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm after a new keyboard that will display FPS whilst gaming (it doesn't have to do anything else or have a coloured display).

Any suggestions?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 2, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

strayan posted:

I'm after a new keyboard that will display FPS whilst gaming (it doesn't have to do anything else or have a coloured display).

Any suggestions?

The only options I'm aware of are the G11-18 and the roccat valo.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A month or so ago, I was playing some games that are much easier to control with a numpad. I had a little travel keypad, but it wobbled and it was too light to stay in place well. The Filco keypad looked nice and sturdy, with a good weight to it, so I decided to splurge and buy it, for $50 shipped. At the time, I had absolutely no interest in getting a new keyboard. But the keys on that numpad... they felt so good. It was always there, in the back of my mind... "ooh, I need to type some numbers, I get to use my numpad!". Yesterday, at work, I had to type a 6 digit number, and immediately the thought popped into my mind "I wish I were at home so I could use my Filco numpad!". That was the last straw. At that point, the only question was whether to go with browns or blues. And just now, I finally settled on the browns, and placed an order. Now, the only question is whether or not I would feel stupid carrying it between work and home every day.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Does anyone have any experience with the Adesso WKB-3200UB?

I need a wireless keyboard that has a numpad and an integrated pointing device, and this is the only thing I've found so far that combines those attributes.(Gotta have the numpad for playing Dwarf Fortress on my HDTV, don'cha know.)

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Via [[[[[h]]]]]]ardforum:
Looks like Filco clone for $20 shipped with the coupon code. I've got a Filco Majestouch, but I couldn't resist a mechanical keyboard for $20 so I picked one up. We'll see how it compares.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

illamint posted:

Looks like Filco clone for $20 shipped with the coupon code. I've got a Filco Majestouch, but I couldn't resist a mechanical keyboard for $20 so I picked one up. We'll see how it compares.
I can't pass this up for $20 either. ORDERED!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have very good reviews; lots of people mention keys sticking, the labels wearing off, and severe ghosting problems with common gaming clusters. From what I could find it's using an imitation ALPS switch, not anything from Cherry.

Let us know how it is when you get yours :)

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Swilo posted:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have very good reviews; lots of people mention keys sticking, the labels wearing off, and severe ghosting problems with common gaming clusters. From what I could find it's using an imitation ALPS switch, not anything from Cherry.

Let us know how it is when you get yours :)
Yeah, I definitely will. I basically ignored the reviews for a chance to jump on a $20 mechanical keyboard.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
By "$20" I'm assuming you really mean about $30. After all, $29.99 != $20.00.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

By "$20" I'm assuming you really mean about $30. After all, $29.99 != $20.00.
The coupon code brings it down to $20 with free shipping.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

strayan posted:

Any suggestions?
The LCD on both versions of the G15 (blue and orange), the G13, the Z-10 speaker (if you can find them anymore) and the G19 will display FPS if the game supports doing so or you've got FRAPS running. We've tried to get FPS information directly from the video board manufacturers but they're not able to help because they just know how many triangles/pixels they're drawing and not how many frames. The support in FRAPS is only for the monochrome version of the LCD, which means it is compatible with the color LCD but is not particularly pretty.

I don't know anything about the Valo.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Goo posted:

the Z-10 speaker (if you can find them anymore)... will display FPS if the game supports doing so or you've got FRAPS running.

Oh, that's really cool to know.

Do you know if the Logitech MX 5500 Revolution does?

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/devices/3481

Thanks

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Full Circle posted:

I had the illuminated for awhile at the house. It's a piece of poo poo when it comes to gaming. I couldn't even do somewhat simple tasks like pipe/rocket jump in TF2. (move in whichever direction, jump/crouch/fire) I'm back to a razer... lycosa I think it is. No limitations, but then again I don't use caps lock for anything.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Nija posted:

I had the illuminated for awhile at the house. It's a piece of poo poo when it comes to gaming. I couldn't even do somewhat simple tasks like pipe/rocket jump in TF2. (move in whichever direction, jump/crouch/fire) I'm back to a razer... lycosa I think it is. No limitations, but then again I don't use caps lock for anything.

I have my suspicions that at some point logitech updated the firmware they shipped with or something, since all comments seem to be that either the keyboard games perfectly or terribly. All the complaint posts I was able to dig up on forums were quite ancient.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Full Circle posted:

I have my suspicions that at some point logitech updated the firmware they shipped with or something, since all comments seem to be that either the keyboard games perfectly or terribly. All the complaint posts I was able to dig up on forums were quite ancient.

This was as recent as fall 2009. Maybe there's a firmware update that I missed?

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

illamint posted:

Yeah, I definitely will. I basically ignored the reviews for a chance to jump on a $20 mechanical keyboard.

Mine's out for delivery! I've never used a fancy Filco or Das Keyboard to compare it to, but I'll try to post a trip report tonight. :shroom:

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

ABS M1 on top, Filco Majestouch with Cherry Browns on the bottom:

The physical case, aside from the internals and the keycaps, is literally exactly the same. Weight, dimensions, even the packaging. Both obviously from the same factory in Taiwan. I haven't had much chance to type on the ABS yet, but it's sure as hell the most amazing keyboard I've seen for $20 and will make a worthy spare. Shame NewEgg's sold out or I'd order a couple more just to keep around as spares. I still think the Filco's a better keyboard, but considering it was a whopping $110 more than the ABS M1, I kinda wish this deal was around a month or two ago.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!

illamint posted:

The physical case, aside from the internals and the keycaps, is literally exactly the same. Weight, dimensions, even the packaging. Both obviously from the same factory in Taiwan. I haven't had much chance to type on the ABS yet, but it's sure as hell the most amazing keyboard I've seen for $20 and will make a worthy spare. Shame NewEgg's sold out or I'd order a couple more just to keep around as spares. I still think the Filco's a better keyboard, but considering it was a whopping $110 more than the ABS M1, I kinda wish this deal was around a month or two ago.
Nice! I'm at work and haven't gotten to play with mine yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox_Spy
Mar 19, 2006
Lifeguard of the Apocalypse
Alright keyboard goons, this looks like the thread that's finally going to be able to answer a question that's been bugging me for over a decade. I'm trying to figure out who the manufacturer of my keyboard is or even anything about it really. All I know is that it was old when I got it. My uncle gave me his old computer, a 486 when I was in high school and I'm pretty sure this is the keyboard that came with it. It suddenly occurs to me that this could be the keyboard off the older computer I had that had no hard drives and just two 5.25" drives. I wasn't really paying attention when I was younger. I have some old pictures of that 8086 I can hunt down when I get home.

Anyway, here are the pictures I have of the keyboard. I know that it is not a Northgate as the Northgate apparently uses alps style switches and these aren't that. It's also not a Model M since it's the wrong switch type for that as well. This keyboard uses an AT style connector, currently I have a PS2 adapter, need to pick up a PS2 to USB adapter to keep current.

• Locked thread