Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
You can't talk about the SR-71 without talking about Bill Weaver's account of high altitude breakup of an early SR-71.

I especially like the part where he goes:

quote:

I have vivid memories of that helicopter flight, as well. I didn't know much about rotorcraft, but I knew a lot about "red lines," and Mitchell kept the airspeed at or above red line all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
"The SR-71 had a turning radius of about 100 mi. at that speed and altitude, so I wasn't even sure what state we were going to land in."

That is mind boggling.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
How loud would the sonic boom from the SR-71 be from 80,000 to someone on the ground?

I used to camp a lot with the Boy Scouts deep in the mountains of Colorado between 1996 and 1999. On several occasions, at least 3 specifically I can remember we heard sonic booms. I know they were sonic booms and not something else because I've heard sonic booms at air shows. We'd be out in the middle of nowhere hiking and we'd hear one. We'd always look up trying to spot the contrail but never could. I used to think it was just F-15 or F-16 pilots having fun, but after reading so much about the SR-71 and the reactivation during the 90's I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've heard this plane. Their training routes took them from Wyoming to New Mexico straight over the Rockies. It would surely be awesome to have been personally affected by such a thing.

Doing a little research for this post just sent chills down my spine. Back in 1997 when the A-10 that crashed in the Rocky Mountains near Vail, the Air Force apparently sent an SR-71 to take pictures to try and find the wreckage.

Not only do I specifically remember all the news reports on the A-10 crash, but we went camping that coming weekend. My most vivid memory of hearing a sonic boom comes from that campout. All I remember is looking up through the trees trying to spot something and then my dad saying "probably the Air Force looking for that crashed A-10."

That's enough for me. Suck that suckas I heard an SR-71!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

ab0z posted:

"The SR-71 had a turning radius of about 100 mi. at that speed and altitude, so I wasn't even sure what state we were going to land in."

That is mind boggling.

The SR-71's pilot manual actually included charts for turn time/distance at various groundspeeds due to the amount of real estate the aircraft chewed up doing anything at cruise speed.

For example, it says that a 180 degree turn at Mach 3 (flown at a 30 degree bank angle) would require just over 8 minutes to complete, and the aircraft would cover 235 miles while doing so.

Also, the pilots manual for the SR-71 is available for free online here, and it's pretty interesting.
http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

There's some redacted sections pertaining to the cameras and radar systems (although that information is now publicly available), but otherwise there's everything you'd ever want to know about an SR-71 in there.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 17, 2010

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

jandrese posted:

You can't talk about the SR-71 without talking about Bill Weaver's account of high altitude breakup of an early SR-71.

Holy gently caress. Just got done reading that and that man is King brass balls to me.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Phy posted:

Postin' a link to Dos Gringos, a band composed of a couple of F-16 pilots. poo poo's hilarious.

This isn't getting enough love, poo poo IS hilarious:

I wish I had the gas just like a mudhen
To hang around that long is just a sin
And while you RTB and scoff
I'm doing loops and jackin' off
I wish I had the gas just like a mudhen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ursa_minor posted:

An-2 Colt
"A note from the pilot's handbook reads: "If the engine quits in instrument conditions (blind flying when you can't see the ground) or at night, the pilot should pull the control column full aft (it won't stall) and keep the wings level. The leading-edge slats will snap out at about 64 km/h (40 mph), and when the airplane slows to a forward speed of about 40 km/h (25 mph), the airplane will sink at about a parachute descent rate until the aircraft hits the ground."

Holy cow!

How is this possible? Does being a biplane generate that much extra lift?

The An-72. Like most Soviet era cargo planes, it was built with a eye to being able to use primitive airfields. So the engines were mounted extra high to keep from sucking in dust and debris. In Russia, it's been nicknamed 'Cheburashka' which is apparently the name of a animated bunny with oversize ears.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Holy cow!

How is this possible? Does being a biplane generate that much extra lift?

The second wing adds quite a bit of lift, and the aircraft is also fitted with large flaps and drooping ailerons (which droop down when flaps are extended) as well as slats that automatically pop out from the leading edge of the wing at low speeds to add even more lift.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
e-^^^ The C-5 operates on the same principles

Vitamin J posted:

SR-71 camp out

This is right in the wheelhouse of the Aurora project being restarted IIRC, so you "may" have heard an even faster plane.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That An-2 procedure is amazing, a real treat of a fun fact. I suppose it "doesn't stall" when the pilot pulls the stick fully back because one of the wings stall before the other, moves the center of lift back and causes the nose to pitch down.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

VikingSkull posted:

e-^^^ The C-5 operates on the same principles

This is right in the wheelhouse of the Aurora project being restarted IIRC, so you "may" have heard an even faster plane.

"Aurora" was the code name for the fly-off competition between what became the B-2 and the Lockheed competitor. All that stuff about hypersonic spaceplanes and weird triangular aircraft was likely to be someone seeing an SR-71 or F-117, if not just an outright lie.

VVVVV Yea, that's what I said. Anything black and going at ridiculous speeds was probably an SR-71, and anything black and triangular was an F-117. Or it could have actually been the "Aurora", considering what the B-2 looks like (and how similar the Lockheed prototype was). Either way, it wasn't a hypersonic hydrogen-fueled scramjet spaceplane.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 17, 2010

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I always thought that the "weird triangular aircraft" that the :tinfoil: types harped on about were sightings of the F117 before it became public knowledge. It's not like conspiracy nuts have ever been able to stop beating dead horses before, why should they stop just because the facts get in the way?

amtrak450
Jul 25, 2001
Does anyone know if there are any editions of Sled Driver that don't cost a shitload? The current edition is going for ~$400.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

amtrak450 posted:

Does anyone know if there are any editions of Sled Driver that don't cost a shitload? The current edition is going for ~$400.

You might be able to find a couple of used earlier editions on Amazon or eBay, but they'll still be at least a hundred bucks or so. If you've got the scratch, this book is well worth the money. Also, I'd recommend "The Untouchables" by the same author, Brian Shul.

EDIT: azflyboy, I have something you might be interested in - do you check the email in your profile?

MrChips fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 17, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

amtrak450 posted:

Why the hell is this book not being re-released? Obviously the demand is there.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

amtrak450 posted:

The library?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

This is pretty metal if it's real. I'm a Rotorcraft CFII and you couldn't pay me enough money to fly this.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c02_1268850857

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

OptimusMatrix posted:

This is pretty metal if it's real. I'm a Rotorcraft CFII and you couldn't pay me enough money to fly this.

That looks like it was built exclusively from things available at hobby lobby.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
The same idea, scaled up a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9633v6U0wo

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You call that madness? I got one better.

Remember our old friend, the Convair XFY-1 Pogo? Take that propeller, move it to the center of the fuselage, make it the length (and take the place) of the wings, spin with rockets and ramjets and you've got yourself the Focke-Wulf Triebflügel, one of the many lunatic designs to come out of Nazi Germany during the end phases of the war. This one never even made it to the prototype phase, but just the concept of it is pure Nazi engineer.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrChips posted:

You might be able to find a couple of used earlier editions on Amazon or eBay, but they'll still be at least a hundred bucks or so. If you've got the scratch, this book is well worth the money. Also, I'd recommend "The Untouchables" by the same author, Brian Shul.

EDIT: azflyboy, I have something you might be interested in - do you check the email in your profile?

I do use that address, but I don't know if the email function on SA is working. My email address is dsflyboy AT earthlink.net

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ab0z posted:

That looks like it was built exclusively from things available at hobby lobby.

Christ, it's real I think.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/swisscopter_dragonfly.html

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OptimusMatrix posted:

Tip-jet powered rotorcraft are actually easier to fly than conventional helicopters - they don't need a tail rotor because it's not making mechanical torque (the rotor is free-wheeling), and they have a quicker response to control input

There is one concept that is much more sustainable than jet engines and rockets in the tips - compressed air. Basically, the engine runs a powerful compressor, which pumps air down each blade where it exits out of a nozzle in the tip. Way more simple and much safer than pumping fuel through the rotor blades.

Having actual jet engines on the tips make it easier to auto-rotate though - the higher moment of inertia gives the rotor way more momentum.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

ApathyGifted posted:

Having actual jet engines on the tips make it easier to auto-rotate though - the higher moment of inertia gives the rotor way more momentum.

Couldn't you just do the same thing with a compressed-air copter using a weight on the end of each rotor? You could maybe even have them mounted inboard normally on a catch, with an emergency system to release them and fling them outwards on rails to increase the inertia in case of engine failure.

I've wanted one of those little 1 or 2 seat ultralight helicopters since I saw them in the back of Popular Science as a kid, but I can't imagine that they'd be anything like safe. Zero pilot protection, rotor directly above your head, inability to bail out in an emergency. Basically all they have going for them is the autorotation and low CG.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

orange lime posted:

Zero pilot protection, rotor directly above your head, inability to bail out in an emergency. Basically all they have going for them is the autorotation and low CG.

The rotor's not all that dangerous, if it snaps it'll just fly away at a tangent to its rotation.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Manny posted:

The same idea, scaled up a bit:

The same idea, scaled up a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvCMrt1JPwo

After all the cutesy bits, at 2:00. Only video I could find.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

quote:

While it might seem at first that this is some sort of cobbled together widow-maker, it is in fact a fully certified and sanctified machine which is approved by the FAA

Actually that's pretty much what came to mind immediately

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

orange lime posted:

Couldn't you just do the same thing with a compressed-air copter using a weight on the end of each rotor? You could maybe even have them mounted inboard normally on a catch, with an emergency system to release them and fling them outwards on rails to increase the inertia in case of engine failure.

I've wanted one of those little 1 or 2 seat ultralight helicopters since I saw them in the back of Popular Science as a kid, but I can't imagine that they'd be anything like safe. Zero pilot protection, rotor directly above your head, inability to bail out in an emergency. Basically all they have going for them is the autorotation and low CG.

Things that make a helicopter easier to autorotate make it harder to fly normally, because of the higher moment of inertia. Half of the idea of the tip-jet is to be easier to fly (the other half being mechanically simpler). Your sliding weight thing is REALLY complicated from an engineering standpoint as well. Lots of stress involved that has to be accounted for, and got help you if one weight doesn't deploy correctly. It's a bad idea for an emergency system to easily create an even worse emergency.

A simple compressed air tip-jet may be harder to autorotate, but it ain't exactly impossible, so it's not like it's a worrisome issue.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Just looking at the controls on that thing makes my arm tired. The foot pedals are fine, but having to pull down on a bar to manage the cyclic sounds like a unfun way to fly. Would it have really been that difficult to make it a lever like every other helicopter? Requiring your pilot to hold his arm out in front of him for a long time is not good ergonomics.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
NOTAR designs for helicopters are pretty cool even if they're just the MD compressed air type tail rotor. Way safer, and maybe more reliable? At least less vulnerable to bird/wire/tree strikes.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

jandrese posted:

Just looking at the controls on that thing makes my arm tired. The foot pedals are fine, but having to pull down on a bar to manage the cyclic sounds like a unfun way to fly. Would it have really been that difficult to make it a lever like every other helicopter? Requiring your pilot to hold his arm out in front of him for a long time is not good ergonomics.

Er.....

Cuz we don't do that all the time in cars?

Or in planes that use a yoke.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
It looks like you have to pull down constantly on it though, you can't just rest your arm on the control like you can by gripping a wheel or a yoke.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Fucknag posted:

The rotor's not all that dangerous, if it snaps it'll just fly away at a tangent to its rotation.

Then You Die.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

buttcrackmenace posted:

Then You Die.

Yeah if you lose a rotor is really doesn't matter what you do at that point, you're done.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
i love how each time we do an aviation thread it usually dissolves into banter about the sr71 and or the f14.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

jandrese posted:

Christ this guy is a lucky motherfucker.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

FullMetalJacket posted:

i love how each time we do an aviation thread it usually dissolves into banter about the sr71 and or the f14.

There's a surprising lack of A-10s so far. I would have expected at least 3 pages worth by now but I think it got maybe 2 mentions so far.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Buhbuhj posted:

There's a surprising lack of A-10s so far. I would have expected at least 3 pages worth by now but I think it got maybe 2 mentions so far.

yeah, nobody bothers to post photos from x-country's and it's like the AME crowd is either afraid of posting stories, or is still stuck at the hangar dealing with their apprentices!

i tell you whut, when i start working at am AMO I'm going to take pictures of almost everythin'

i also think it has to do with the fact that air planes are expensive and less accessible then cars are.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

FullMetalJacket posted:

I think we've done well to keep it fairly diverse so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Buhbuhj posted:

I don't understand why we can't just build more A-10s. They are tough, cheap, perfect at their role.