Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

dissss posted:

Never noticed that before but it is quite high. Weird old house I guess.

As for the view don't worry that's where the other couch is facing.

It actually looks to me like the door was flipped at some point, like it was originally installed in a different manner and instead of getting a new door they just did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Thought I would post a before and after. I'm still working on this set up. Next step is to move the desk to the other side of the room, run an HDMI cable along the wall to the TV, and get some cable management going on behind the scenes.

Still not exactly how I want it but I think it's a definite improvement.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

porksmash posted:

Is that the WD-65C9? I bought that exact TV not a week ago and I am in love with it.

Nah, it's an older model. WD65733. It does 1080p and I got it on sale for $1450 nearly 3 years ago. I really like Mitsubishi TVs and I like the matching stand that they offer with them.

Thanks for the comfy comments - that's always what I aim for. Maximum comfort. We re-stuff the pillows on the couch twice a year and I keep my dog off it.

Can someone give me examples of floor lighting to put in the corner?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
This Mitsu is my second. I moved recently and it cost more to get the old TV to my new place than it was worth, so I sold it and found this newer and larger one for about the same price I originally paid. Might as well post pics while I'm at it. I'm the first to admit the TV is probably too large for the room, but it makes watching movies pretty awesome. Since I live in an apartment now I was worried about bothering people, but I got positioned pretty well. I'm on the first floor, one neighbor is a stairwell, and the other neighbor (three walls away) is unoccupied at the moment, and the ceiling is concrete a foot thick. Haven't gotten any complaints yet :)

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Stuff:
KEF iQ9 fronts
KEF iQ6C center
KEF iQ3 surround
Epik Knight subwoofer
Denon AVR-789 receiver
PS3
HTPC
Squeezebox receiver
And of course the awesome reclining couch.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

porksmash posted:

This Mitsu is my second. I moved recently and it cost more to get the old TV to my new place than it was worth, so I sold it and found this newer and larger one for about the same price I originally paid. Might as well post pics while I'm at it. I'm the first to admit the TV is probably too large for the room, but it makes watching movies pretty awesome. Since I live in an apartment now I was worried about bothering people, but I got positioned pretty well. I'm on the first floor, one neighbor is a stairwell, and the other neighbor (three walls away) is unoccupied at the moment, and the ceiling is concrete a foot thick. Haven't gotten any complaints yet :)

Stuff:
KEF iQ9 fronts
KEF iQ6C center
KEF iQ3 surround
Epik Knight subwoofer
Denon AVR-789 receiver
PS3
HTPC
Squeezebox receiver
And of course the awesome reclining couch.

I approve of your sound setup, I must admit I am tempted to have mine shipped up here so I can use them in the barracks the next few years

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Well, this may not be of any interest to anyone whatsoever, but I decided to put together a more detailed pictorial of the transformation my living room underwent. Just goes to show you what a difference a couple of pieces of furniture can make.

First, this is what I started with.

The white stuff on the floor is actually from the furniture boxes which I had already begun to unpack. The rest of the mess, I have no excuse for.

As you can see, I am clearly living like poo poo. My television is on my desk and my computer is off to the side like a forgotten sibling. Okay, so maybe I jumped the gun on the television. Should have been more prepared. C'est la vie.

Here is a lovely "during" picture. Not featured is the lovely desk I had put together and stashed in the bedroom temporarily. Oh the carnage!

A much less hideous "during" shot. The plan is to move the computer to the other side of the room, but first I need a sufficiently long HDMI cable to make it happen. Oh look one just arrived!

The computer in it's final location. I tried my best to keep the cables under control and I think I did a pretty good job of it.

Aaaand the main event. I tied up all the cables with velcro ties so that the floor looks like this:

But the wall looks like this:

But you can't see that without leaning over my guitars and putting your head against the wall, so it's a bit of a non-issue. The only thing that's bugging me right now is the one HDMI cable you can see from the couch (see pic 7), simply because it's not long enough to route properly. This will be solved shortly.

Finally, the whole room:

There is still work to be done. I need to clear out our closets and make room for those boxes, as well as getting rid of the old desk, that massive chair, and picking up a coffee table and probably an area rug as well. Other than that, we need some art on the walls. Desperately. But as it is now, it's a much better place to come home to at the end of the day.

As for gear, it's fairly sparse:

LG 47LH40
360 w/ 60GB
And the computer basically acts as the stereo, gaming PC, HTPC, and "receiver" for the Klipsch 2.1s that I thought would serve me better in their new position.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed/hated this as much as I enjoyed/hated putting it all together.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

That is quite the improvement.

My suggestion for the next step? Better couch. That one looks... terribly uncomfortable.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Schpyder posted:

That is quite the improvement.

My suggestion for the next step? Better couch. That one looks... terribly uncomfortable.

Thank you. And you're right, it is really uncomfortable. loving Ikea.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

man thats gross posted:

Thank you. And you're right, it is really uncomfortable. loving Ikea.

I actually really like my klippin :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Purchasing a really nice sofa is a way better investment into your overall happiness than any single A/V related item, trust me on this.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I have noticed not one person here has had a beanbag chair in their living room, what kind of people are you? Just added an awesome orange sumo beanbag chair to my living room. Fiance wanted that color more comfortable than anything in the house.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I was made fun of when I said I wanted one. gently caress 'em, I'll probably get one soon. They won't be allowed to sit on it.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Got the new thin lg plasma, and finally mounted my speakers, and tacked/managed my wires.

After some reconsideration, thinking maybe my front r/l are too high. Especially since all my satellites are at ear level

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Purchasing a really nice sofa is a way better investment into your overall happiness than any single A/V related item, trust me on this.

I get what your saying, but I genuinely find mine comfortable.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

BrettRobb posted:

Got the new thin lg plasma, and finally mounted my speakers, and tacked/managed my wires.

After some reconsideration, thinking maybe my front r/l are too high. Especially since all my satellites are at ear level

The real problem here is that hideous wallpaper.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
i live in a bathroom ok

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Juriko posted:

I get what your saying, but I genuinely find mine comfortable.

I owned one, I can't see how this is possible. :) I mean it's bearable, yeah, but dropping $1200 or so on a Crate and Barrel Axis was never a regret for my fiancee and me.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I owned one, I can't see how this is possible. :) I mean it's bearable, yeah, but dropping $1200 or so on a Crate and Barrel Axis was never a regret for my fiancee and me.

I think we probably just have vastly different tastes in couches. I mean, if I was buying my long term couch I know what I would want and it is nothing like the axis.

eidt: you avatar is mesmerizing

Juriko fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 23, 2010

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Juriko posted:

I think we probably just have vastly different tastes in couches. I mean, if I was buying my long term couch I know what I would want and it is nothing like the axis.

eidt: you avatar is mesmerizing

The Axis is ownage city. Right in between too squishy and too hard, and deep enough to comfortably take a nap on. It's a great 2-person sofa, too, in that you can actually both fit on it in horizontal arrangements.

If you are thinking about something like some awesome mid-century eames sofa, I realized some time ago those suck for actually using as a living room sofa.

probably should end this derail... but it is related to AV setups I guess.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
drat, why is it so hard to find decent hight speaker stands for bookshelves. Surrounds should be above ear level, right? Well, on my couch that means they'd need to be about 4.5 feet. The stands I have currently are at their highest height, which is about 48 inches or more I imagine (some sites say you should place them at ear level whilst standing and since I'm 5'10" they'd probably have to be even taller). Wall mount is out of the question in my setup but it seems like a lot of stands that are adjustable max out at 36 inches and non-hanging bookshelf stands (which I'd prefer) seem to be even shorter. What should I get? :(

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

got dat wmd posted:

drat, why is it so hard to find decent hight speaker stands for bookshelves.

This Site seems to sell quite a few different stands.

If your room is laid out where there is a lot of open space behind the couch, it might seem weird to have the surround speakers way up in the air. I would mock something up at different heights to see if you can even hear a difference in sound.

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--
After months of following this thread looking for ideas, I finally got myself an entertainment center.

(my hosting)

TV: Samsung 55" LED LCD 7 Series UN55B7000
Stand: Z-Line Sync Flat Panel TV Stand

routenull0 influenced me a little with his stand. This is a great thread with a lot of very nice setups.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Robpol86 posted:

After months of following this thread looking for ideas, I finally got myself an entertainment center.

(my hosting)

TV: Samsung 55" LED LCD 7 Series UN55B7000
Stand: Z-Line Sync Flat Panel TV Stand

routenull0 influenced me a little with his stand. This is a great thread with a lot of very nice setups.

Doesn't it drive you nuts that you can see that lone power cable reaching for the outlet?

Robpol86
Dec 30, 2004
--Null--
Not yet lol. But in two months or so I'm getting some floor speakers which will probably cover that up.

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001
We recently redid our Living Room. We hated the wallpaper that it had and spent way too much time scraping that poo poo off. We swapped the furniture, AV equipment etc with out Family Room setup and have been much happier the way it is now.

Here is the Ikea "set" we used as our inspiration:

The finished product:

We painted the walls in two contrasting colors, Benjamin Moore Aura "Spoonful of Sugar" is the adobe brick color and Sherwin Williams "Calypso" custom matched into the Benjamin Moore Aura paint is the blue.

The TV stands are two Ikea Lack TV units placed side by side. The shelves are also Lack series, each a little over six foot long. The artwork is by my daughter (goon ArtisticMonkey)

Both lamps are from Ikea.

The Bluray player is by Memorex unit. There is an XBox 360 with the HD-DVD player (bought after the price dropped to $50) that I use an an excellent DVD upscaler and for occasional watching of the small quantity of HD_DVD disks I own. The radio is a 1962 SABA 300 Stereo Automatic 11 with an iPod Video connected to it. A neat blend of old and new technology.

The TV is a 47" Vizio unit and the surround sound is an Onkyo HT-SR800 system configured for Dolby 7.1. The cable box is a Samsung HD DVR unit, a demo unit from work. It is much nicer than the older SA boxes we have had in the past.

The bookshelf is from Ikea also. The small brown boxes hold all our regular DVDs packed in paper sleeves (both products from Walmart). We wanted to get away from the business of having hundreds of DVD cases stacked to the ceiling like we had in the past. The rattan cube is from Ikea and one holds sheel music for the piano and another holds all the HD-DVD and Bluray movies and the high-end box sets that we choose not to put in the brown boxes. The various remotes have been put away now that I have reprogrammed my Logitech Harmony XBox remote.

The rear surround speakers are from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4104&seq=1&format=2
So far I am very happy with the sound and was glad not to have to find a place to mount the rear surrounds that came with my Onkyo HTIB. Cutting the holes in the ceiling was scary though!

ManWhatADork fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 25, 2010

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
nm

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Mugmoor posted:

Doesn't it drive you nuts that you can see that lone power cable reaching for the outlet?

As a renter cables are the bane of my drat existence. You try and try to do your best but there is that voice that always goes "just drill a hole in the goddamn wall." My future solution for my bedroom unit, which is where I watch 90% of my TV since I moved, is to build a stained plywood surface mount stand so I can just run all the cables behind that in the future. It does make me miss my previous place though.

ShaneB posted:

If you are thinking about something like some awesome mid-century eames sofa, I realized some time ago those suck for actually using as a living room sofa.

Haha no, I agree. Aside from the lounges most of the eames stuff I have sat on was actually surprisingly uncomfortable.

I can't find the thing online but there is a local place that carries a couch (bigger than a loveseat but smaller than a full on couch) with a lounge end that I love. It is a pretty standard modern gray affair.. It isn't even that expensive, but I am waiting to be roommate free before the Klippin hits the dump; or at least till I can claim the entirety of the living room. I can't seem to convince myself that dropping ~1200 a month in rent and utilities is something I want to do just so I can have a pretty living room.

The other half of me, the DIY builder nut, wants to make a couch myself. That half of me is retarded.

Juriko fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 25, 2010

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ManWhatADork posted:

The TV is a 47" Vizio unit and the surround sound is an Onkyo HT-SR800 system configured for Dolby 7.1. The cable box is a Samsung HD DVR unit, a demo unit from work. It is much nicer than the older SA boxes we have had in the past.

I have the same TV stand from IKEA (in black) and pretty much the same receiver (dimension-wise) and I'm too scared of stuffing my receiver down there, simply because there's no breathing room above. :(

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ZeeBoi posted:

I have the same TV stand from IKEA (in black) and pretty much the same receiver (dimension-wise) and I'm too scared of stuffing my receiver down there, simply because there's no breathing room above. :(

How much headroom would it have? An inch or so is probably more than needed, really.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
I think Onkyo recommended something like 8" of open space over their current receivers

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

jeff8472 posted:

I think Onkyo recommended something like 8" of open space over their current receivers

I may have misread his post but he didn't explicitly say he had an Onkyo. If it is one, yeah, they are known for running pretty hot so be careful I guess.

vvv I was talking about ZeeBoi.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 29, 2010

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I may have misread his post but he didn't explicitly say he had an Onkyo. If it is one, yeah, they are known for running pretty hot so be careful I guess.
He did explicitly say it was a Onkyo HT-SR800 in the receiver picture. Still should be careful for any hot equipment.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm KIND OF a big Boston Bruins fan. Don't know if you can tell. :X
(Bed is temporarily on this side of the downstairs. Moving things around.)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Awesome setups, guys. I'm enjoying looking through them all!

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
I have that same Pulp Fiction poster in my living room. Although I think mine is a lot bigger than yours.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Isnt it a bad idea to put discs on speakers?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

The Senate posted:

Isnt it a bad idea to put discs on speakers?

I think you are thinking about floppy disks.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000

ManWhatADork posted:

The rear surround speakers are from Monoprice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083703&p_id=4104&seq=1&format=2
So far I am very happy with the sound and was glad not to have to find a place to mount the rear surrounds that came with my Onkyo HTIB. Cutting the holes in the ceiling was scary though!

Hmmm... I've been contemplating some ceiling mount surrounds for my living room. How did you fish the wire to them? How much destruction are we talking about?

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Daddyo posted:

Hmmm... I've been contemplating some ceiling mount surrounds for my living room. How did you fish the wire to them? How much destruction are we talking about?

When I did similar, we used a hole saw bit on a drill (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?cid=12047309570725216476) to make a hole every 4-6 feet on the ceiling, then fish through those. We kept the plugs, and when we were done we put a length of 2x4 up in each hole, then screwed the plug up to the 2x4 until it was flush. A little joint compound, a little plaster, a little spray-on knockdown texture, a little paint, and nobody can even tell we took the plugs out in the first place.

Edit: I was going perpendicular to my joists, thus the frequency. If you're running parallel to them, it's much easier.

ManWhatADork
Oct 2, 2001

Daddyo posted:

Although it still seemed like a colossal paint in the rear end, I guess I was lucky that I have an attic crawl space above this room (split-level house). I was able to drill down into the top of the wall behind the TV and (after considerable effort) get a fish down there to pull the speaker wires back up. The wires are just draped across the top of the rafters in the attic.

For me the scariest part was putting the holes in the ceiling. I must have measured everything fifty times before starting cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

ManWhatADork posted:

The TV stands are two Ikea Lack TV units placed side by side. The shelves are also Lack series, each a little over six foot long. The artwork is by my daughter (goon ArtisticMonkey)

Both lamps are from Ikea.

Honestly this is a stunning living room, very nicely done. The lighting works fantastically.