Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blu-Ray edition added for Close-Up :toot:

edit: and Everlasting Moments

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Blu-Ray edition added for Close-Up :toot:

edit: and Everlasting Moments

Awesome. Been meaning to check out some Kiarostami forever.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Image acquires Handmade, which means they'll be releasing Blu-Rays of titles previously on Criterion like Time Bandits, The Long Good Friday, Withnail and I and How to Get Ahead in Advertising. Or they might share them with/license them to Criterion, like they did with Last Emperor.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 17, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A Private Function would be a day-one buy on Blu. The MGM disc is OOP and was bare-bones.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What an awesome company Criterion is. I placed an order for 2 replacement Blu-Ray cases back in January but never received them. Emailed them yesterday, got a response today saying that not only are they resending them via USPS Priority but that they are throwing in a $10 gift certificate.

Can't think of any other company that would do that for an order that was only $10.61.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Sporadic posted:

What an awesome company Criterion is. I placed an order for 2 replacement Blu-Ray cases back in January but never received them. Emailed them yesterday, got a response today saying that not only are they resending them via USPS Priority but that they are throwing in a $10 gift certificate.

Can't think of any other company that would do that for an order that was only $10.61.

That is cool of them. But what on earth costs 10 dollars in the Criterion store? You could order another blu ray case, I guess.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Jack Does Jihad posted:

That is cool of them. But what on earth costs 10 dollars in the Criterion store? You could order another blu ray case, I guess.

Considering how expensive many of their DVDs are, $10 off is nothing to scoff at. I'd be more inclined to put that toward a DVD purchase than some extra cases.

fake edit: Scratch that, I'd totally buy a Criterion logo coffee mug.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

A cheap House t-shirt would be pretty cool.

I don't know if you can use a gift certificate on rentals but :10bux: could get 2 movies from there.

Or like Jay Dub suggested, it could be used to get a normal release down to a reasonable price.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sporadic posted:

A cheap House t-shirt would be pretty cool.

You know, I always wanted to get this shirt, but I haven't seen the movie yet and explaining what the shirt was about to others would be difficult.

"Hey, what's with the shirt?"
"Oh, it's a reference to the Japanese movie Hausu."
"Really? Is it any good?"
"Uh, I dunno." :sweatdrop:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Just tell them it's the craziest movie you've ever seen, and the less said the better.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
I forgot I even bought them, but it looks like Yojimbo/Sanjuro are shipping from Amazon today. Hopefully I'll have time to go through them on Monday.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FirstCongoWar posted:

I forgot I even bought them, but it looks like Yojimbo/Sanjuro are shipping from Amazon today. Hopefully I'll have time to go through them on Monday.

If you do please be sure to join us:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246627

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

zandert33 posted:

If you do please be sure to join us:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3246627

Thanks for the idea!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

#519 - CLOSE UP (June 8, DVD)
FFD take: A buy, one of my favorite Kiarostamis. I wish it was on Blu, though, and I wish it was accompanied by A Moment of Innocence.

Yeah Close Up is really good and A Moment of Innocence would go much better with it than The Traveler, which is really only interesting in terms of charting Kiorastami's evolution as a filmmaker and would fit better with just about any of his other films.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Hoho! I won the Kurosawa contest for Friday of last week. I've been entering all along, but when I learned they were giving away Ikiru (my favorite Kurosawa that I've seen), I knew I had to put some more thought into my answer and it worked: I won! Yay!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

azechiel posted:

Hoho! I won the Kurosawa contest for Friday of last week. I've been entering all along, but when I learned they were giving away Ikiru (my favorite Kurosawa that I've seen), I knew I had to put some more thought into my answer and it worked: I won! Yay!

Good job! You might have wanted to wait for today's though:

Criterion posted:

In one sentence, convince a friend who is unfamiliar with Kurosawa to watch one of his films.

Please respond by commenting below, and we’ll choose our favorite tomorrow. You must reside in the U.S. or Canada and leave a valid e-mail address to be eligible for the prize (a DVD box set of AK 100: 25 Films by Akira Kurosawa).

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Good job! You might have wanted to wait for today's though:

OK, where do you sign up?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

OK, where do you sign up?

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts

A remastered version of Tokyo Drifter has popped up on Netflix Instant, indicating a probable re-release in the near future (and probably Branded to Kill as well, and I'd wager both on Blu-Ray).

edit: rumor on cf.org says that Design for Living and Island of Lost Souls are in the works.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 23, 2010

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

FitFortDanga posted:

A remastered version of Tokyo Drifter has popped up on Netflix Instant, indicating a probable re-release in the near future (and probably Branded to Kill as well, and I'd wager both on Blu-Ray).

Time to sell my Branded to Kill. Love both those movies.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: rumor on cf.org says that Design for Living and Island of Lost Souls are in the works.

I just watched Branded in my attempt to watch all the previous Movies of the Month, and it was pretty great. I'm also pretty excited if Island of Lost Souls gets a release, that movie is sweet.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

EDIT: Wrong thread :(

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 24, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

About the New Quadrilogy set...

Wrong thread?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
A blu-ray Criterion of Alien would be the best thing ever.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Wrong thread.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
The winning entry for the criterion Kurosawa contest was cool, which as was already mentioned was to convince your friend who hasn't seen any Kurosawa to do so in one sentence:

"He's your favorite director's favorite director."

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cocoa Ninja posted:

The winning entry for the criterion Kurosawa contest was cool, which as was already mentioned was to convince your friend who hasn't seen any Kurosawa to do so in one sentence:

"He's your favorite director's favorite director."

Now FFD can't wait till Criterion puts out some Satjayit Ray and has a contest for that.

"He's your favorite director's favorite director's favorite director."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is the full Criterion Brief Encounter DVD worth getting over the upcoming (and presumably barebones) Essential Arthouse DVD?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is the full Criterion Brief Encounter DVD worth getting over the upcoming (and presumably barebones) Essential Arthouse DVD?

Are you interested in the commentary or restoration video? If not, go with the Essential Arthouse.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I watch a new Criterion every week or so and I hardly ever call one out like this, but Make Way for Tomorrow is absurdly good. It is tremendously honest in a way you would never see in a studio film these days. The less you know going in might be for the better. I wouldn't even recommend reading the back of the box. I feel bad it had slipped underneath my radar for so long. There is no reason not to toss this picture on your Netflix or put it on hold at the library or whatever.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
When's the next Criterion sale? I remember shortly after the Barnes and Noble one, word on street was that they were gunna have another sale there soon, but it's been quite awhile. Does Amazon's occur at a certain time of the year?

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Jack Does Jihad posted:

When's the next Criterion sale? I remember shortly after the Barnes and Noble one, word on street was that they were gunna have another sale there soon, but it's been quite awhile. Does Amazon's occur at a certain time of the year?

I'm pretty sure DeepDiscountDVD and DVDPlanet have one of their big sales in May.
Can anyone confirm this?

Starscream fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 3, 2010

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Starscream posted:

I'm pretty sure DeepDiscountDVD and DVDPlanet have one of their big sales in May.
Can anyone confirm this?

I saw the Criterion Silence of the Lambs used for 15 bucks. Is this worth buying? I know some of the earlier Criterion DVDs don't have the best transfers but if it looks better than the regular DVD I will get it. Someone help!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
No, it's pretty crappy (not even anamorphic). The Criterion does have a good commentary track, but unless you can't live without that you're better off either with the recent two-disc special edition or the Blu-Ray. Also, DVDBeaver is a good place to go for comparisons (Silence Of The Lambs).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

No, it's pretty crappy (not even anamorphic). The Criterion does have a good commentary track, but unless you can't live without that you're better off either with the recent two-disc special edition or the Blu-Ray. Also, DVDBeaver is a good place to go for comparisons (Silence Of The Lambs).

Thank you very much. I generally don't give a gently caress about commentary tracks or special features. I typically go for what ever edition has the best transfer.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like they might be releasing Antichrist as per their Twitter page.

TheTourist
Apr 28, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Anyone in Toronto?

The University of Toronto's student cinema society has been showing free movies for years, usually on 32mm film. They recently got a fancy digital projector, and I saw the Criterion Blu-Ray of Pierrot le Fou. I find Godard to be incredibly boring, but the image quality was AMAZING. Seeing a Blu-Ray on a 70 foot screen really shows off how good it looks. It looked almost as good as a movie theatre to me.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1431-coming-soon-two-rare-antonioni-shorts

quote:

We’re excited to tell you that we’ve officially added two early Michelangelo Antonioni documentary shorts, Gente del Po and N.U., to our upcoming release of Red Desert in Blu-ray and DVD editions. The films, both of which focus on the daily lives of working people, were made in the forties and are rarely shown. In Gente del Po, Antonioni takes a barge trip down the river Po; N.U. documents the lives of street cleaners in Rome. Look for Red Desert this June.

Making an awesome release even awesomer.

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Looks like they might be releasing Antichrist as per their Twitter page.

Where are you seeing this?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

APatheticPoster posted:

Where are you seeing this?

http://twitpic.com/1byue3

It's an image from Antichrist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It makes sense, what with the IFC deal, plus it explains why there's been no DVD/Blu release for it when it came out way back in October in theaters/on VOD.