Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
The best way to open a transfer case is to saw it open from the inside :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That's pretty amazing looking. I thought that was a 3-piece part at first.

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

BigKOfJustice posted:

How does that happen? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of transfer cases. Did something inside break and start spinning? I'm guessing there's no saw that could actually do that and no reason to do so, though I've seen a lot of stuff in this thread that was done for no reason, so... WTF? :psyduck:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
if you gave me the proper tools, i couldn't make a cut that clean

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's the most beautiful failure I've ever seen. It has a natural perfection, like a mountain range, or sunset.

I bet it made a pleasing sound :3:

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Saw that happen on a small block Ford timing cover once.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
I was asleep in the back of my parents car when the transfer case exploded at 90mph. Was scary as hell. Big loud bang and two blue flashes, then the sound of metal grinding constantly until we stopped.

Range Rovers use BMW made housings (iirc) and a batch were defective... was all fixed under warranty. Would have been fun if it had seized.

blambert fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 14, 2010

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

blambert posted:

I was asleep in the back of my parents car when the transfer case exploded at 90mph. Was scary as hell. Big loud bang and two blue flashes, then the sound of metal grinding constantly until we stopped.

:psyduck: where, and how big, were the blue flashes that you could see them inside the car, while asleep?

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Yeah sorry that was a bit vague. It was dark so just reflecting off the guard rail as I opened my eyes wondering what the hell the noise was.

blambert fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 14, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VikingSkull posted:

I bet it made a pleasing sound :3:

I bet it sounded like a Dremel.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
Oil starvation to the top of a 1.8T Passat resulted in this:

That's an intake cam broken at the journal.

Here's a pic of the bearing cap (the bearing is integral):

Sorry if the images are too large.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

my1999gsr posted:

Oil starvation to the top of a 1.8T Passat resulted in this:

That's an intake cam broken at the journal.

Here's a pic of the bearing cap (the bearing is integral):

Sorry if the images are too large.

Integral bearings? What a stupid idea. I do like the blue journal in the first pic, though.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Well hello there!

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
^ Hahahah! It's like if this thread had a Muppet.

We've got a couple of destroyed dual-mass flywheels at work too. I'll snap a couple of pictures this week.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

Integral bearings? What a stupid idea. I do like the blue journal in the first pic, though.

That's not a journal, it's a cam lobe innit? Or am I just not seeing the big picture? :)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Sponge! posted:

That's not a journal, it's a cam lobe innit? Or am I just not seeing the big picture? :)

Yeah, you're right. It looks to be in between the bearings.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Pretty much every car has integral bearing in the head for the cams to ride in these days. Well, every Japanese car I've worked on anyway. They don't really ever lead to problems unless you do something dumb like run it out of oil.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

extreme_accordion posted:

Well hello there!
OM NOM NOM I'M EATIN YOUR ENGINE!!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

extreme_accordion posted:

HEY YOU WANNA BUY SOME CRACK? I GOT CRACK!

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

This is how you break a transfer case

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

And your rear end

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

loving 2000 Durango. Shittiest thing I ever owned. I put a new rear end in, a new transfer case, and then the transmission blew. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Crazed_Capybara_Rider posted:

And your rear end

loving 2000 Durango. Shittiest thing I ever owned. I put a new rear end in, a new transfer case, and then the transmission blew. :argh:
:aaaaa:

From your tone, I'm assuming it wasn't modified in any way?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

there are just a few gears missing there in that diff!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I've seen transfer cases go before but that takes it to new heights(lows?). I hope you weren't miles from a road like I've been when I've detonated diffs. You can limp home with only one diff. Hard to go anywhere without a whole transfer case.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, how many tries did it take until the rock won?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

One Day Fish Sale posted:

Holy poo poo, how many tries did it take until the rock won?

Chances are the truck didnt stop instantly when the thing blew up. The chains and gears were probably still in motion and that is impact damage from one case half making sweet sweet surprise sex to the other case half.

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

Bone stock, I was going 70mph down a highway and it make a "clunk" noise and I lost power to the wheels. Managed to coast it over to the side, where I got out and took those pictures.

The diff one was taken later, after I had the transfer case replaced. I was going down a highway when it stopped accelerating and the ABS light came on on the dash. That time I got to use 4WD to get myself to a rest stop!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

nubie7357 posted:

How does that happen? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of transfer cases. Did something inside break and start spinning? I'm guessing there's no saw that could actually do that and no reason to do so, though I've seen a lot of stuff in this thread that was done for no reason, so... WTF? :psyduck:

Replace the anemic 6.2L Diesel in an HMMWV with a turbo Cummins 5.9L with twice the HP/Torque :haw: The old NPG-218 t-case wasn't meant to handle that type of torque and the chain started tearing apart turning it into a chainsaw.

It was replaced with an Atlas t-case [gear driven] after the picture was taken.

:psyduck: So what failed first? The diff? Did that happen at highway speeds? I'm guessing the diff exploded, then seized causing the chain/planetary to brake in the t-case, grenading it and loving the transmission in the process.

Kill-9 posted:

I've seen transfer cases go before but that takes it to new heights(lows?). I hope you weren't miles from a road like I've been when I've detonated diffs. You can limp home with only one diff. Hard to go anywhere without a whole transfer case.

I had a 242-HD poo poo the bed the first time I was wheeling out in pismo beach. It was already showing signs of problems when I was driving up there on the PCH, my t-case kept dropping from H to N. Usually it's worn shifting fork pads. One of the planetarys was shot and was grinding on the shift fork gear and wouldn't stay locked in.

The only gear that would work was Low Lock. :doh: driving from Pismo to Santa Maria where I could fix the truck would normally take 20-30 minutes. But stuck at 10mph and taking back roads.... sucked.

Wound up getting a refurb unit installed since I was stuck away from home, and took the left overs to be rebuilt as a spare.

Never got around to it but I sold the old t-case to a friend who grenaded his in MOAB, so he put together his old t-case and my old tcase and wound up with a complete unit.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 18, 2010

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dietcokefiend posted:

Chances are the truck didnt stop instantly when the thing blew up. The chains and gears were probably still in motion and that is impact damage from one case half making sweet sweet surprise sex to the other case half.

Oh, now that I look at it again, that makes more sense. Hitting a rock seems like it'd just knock a hole in the bottom instead of the thing blowing apart.

Hmm, content. Not horrible or really mechanical :ohdear: , but the ignition coil on my Neon (flaming molten goo not pictured):

Crazed_Capybara_Rider
Oct 22, 2000

BigKOfJustice posted:

:psyduck: So what failed first? The diff? Did that happen at highway speeds? I'm guessing the diff exploded, then seized causing the chain/planetary to brake in the t-case, grenading it and loving the transmission in the process.

That's pretty much what I figured, except I drove for another (after the T-case was replaced) 90 miles, then the diff blew completely/the rest of the way. Then a few months later the tranny decided to join its friends.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Bone stock, I was going 70mph down a highway and it make a "clunk" noise and I lost power to the wheels. Managed to coast it over to the side, where I got out and took those pictures.

:lol: at "clunk". My Jeep grenaded the stock NP249 transfer case driving down the interstate at around 75, and it sounded like the gates of hell opened up under my driver's seat. Scared the hell out of my passenger who was sleeping, too. Replaced it with another 249, even though I should have tried to snag a 242 out of another Jeep.

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
So this is what happens when you have a clogged cat and you make a habit of riding your turbo hard and shutting it off without cooling it down. Ah, turbobricks.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

I'd like to imagine it shooting fire from all the cracks in the exhaust housing as he drove it down the road, blissful in his ignorance.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Did the exducer explode? I'm surprised the housing is so hosed up while the internal waste gate looks like nothing happened.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Ok not a photo...

but oh god:psyduck:...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/honda-crx-gone-really-bad_742623.htm

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

Dschingis Khan posted:

Ok not a photo...

but oh god:psyduck:...

http://www.streetfire.net/video/honda-crx-gone-really-bad_742623.htm

Welp, lookit that Focus still goin' strong. :smug:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wow...each angle is more destructive than the last. That was a much more violent explosion than I initially thought.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It...it ATE itself.

TraumaMonkey
Dec 7, 2009
That whole video is a mechanical failure, the Focus hits the rev limiter on every gear.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I bet if they lifted the front end up to tow it, the engine would simply fall out onto the ground.

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

TraumaMonkey posted:

That whole video is a mechanical failure, the Focus hits the rev limiter on every gear.

True, but the Focus at least made it to the quarter mile point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Looks like the flywheel has left the building. I think it was that silver disc bouncing down the track at 100mph after the explosion.