Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Rikthor posted:

Just curious if anyone knows a link to either a good tutorial or video tutorial of wet blending when it comes to miniatures? I understand the concept and all but doesn't the actual paint dry out too fast, or are there special additives to make it last longer?
http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-acrylic-retarder/ (or similar) is what you're looking for to increase your workable time. Or you could get funky and pick up some water soluble oil paints like the APJ guy recommends - they have a very long open time and can be thinned just like acrylics, but they do have the same basic toxicity as standard oils, so if you're a habitual brush licker, I'd stay away. Van Gogh H2Oils are the kind Les recommends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Rikthor posted:

Just curious if anyone knows a link to either a good tutorial or video tutorial of wet blending when it comes to miniatures? I understand the concept and all but doesn't the actual paint dry out too fast, or are there special additives to make it last longer?

I like LBursley's tutorials, here's his on wet blending. He covers acrylics and water based oils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__U0wNcEwHU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm going to paint some cheap plaster terrain from Hirst Arts moulds and I was just wondering if I need to hit it with anything before priming. Shall I matte it first or will it be alright?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Priming should sort that out, but a thinned coat of PVA would be cheap insurance.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm going to paint some cheap plaster terrain from Hirst Arts moulds and I was just wondering if I need to hit it with anything before priming. Shall I matte it first or will it be alright?

You can just paint it straight away, I personally add some thinned white glue to the basecoat for added strength

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks
Cross-posting my Dread from the Oath thread. It's also my biggest use of magnets so far, but I used pennies to give them something to attach on to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've been using the new standard brush from Citadel. It's bizarre, the lack of weight really threw me off for a while.

Anyway. Trying a new skin scheme on my Ratling Gun team. I was aiming for the highlight to be Elf Flesh, but... eh. Kinda hosed it up, I feel. Tips, critiques, comments, etc. (e: I'll be specific. I'm trying to work out a nice skin tone before I touch the Warlord for this army. These guys were Tausept, Ogryn Flesh x2, Tausept, Tausept:Elf 1:1, Tausept:Elf 1:2, Ogryn Flesh. They're really yellow. Should I have just gone right for the Elf highlight, or what?)

This is the mortal enemy of my growing ratman horde.

AWWW :3:

Blade_of_tyshalle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 18, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is the mortal enemy of my growing ratman horde.

AWWW :3:

Awesome highlighting you did there, duder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wish I could paint eyes that good. Excellent use of gloss to get that realistic shine, too

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
i should be doing my oath right now i'm so close to finishing it, a few edges, eyes and bases i could know it out tonight.. gotta stop being lazy, i've been chopping up vehicles and random chunks of metal plate type bitz with a razor saw to make basing items for my fire dragons, collectively standing in the ruin of a vehicle is the impression im going for

also, warham cats :3

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Yog-Sothoth posted:

I like cats, but this picture is creeping me right the gently caress out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sole.Sushi posted:

I like cats, but this picture is creeping me right the gently caress out.
eerily relevant, even the facial expression

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

crosspostin :c00lbert:

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

eerily relevant, even the facial expression

She actually looks almost like a fuzzy vampire bat in that picture, perhaps she's a blood angel kitten. Though that weird rear end wide mouth makes her kinda look like the joker.

Hm, a blood angel cat with a joker face?
Why.. so..
Sanguinius

:c00lbert: YEAAAAAAHHHHHH!

i'll show myself out :frogout:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

crosspostin :c00lbert:

One thing nobody's commented on yet is how great that bone and scorched steel combination is on the guns. I'm totally stealing it for some post-apoc troops.

Speaking of post-apoc troops, Wargames Factory's sci-fi greatcoat infantry are nearing completion :dance:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I have a couple of modelling questions.

What is a good way of cutting clean arcs/circles/ovals in plastic card? I want to make some gothic-like arches for a space marine hallway.

Can anyone recommend something flexible to use for ribbed pipes that is thicker than a bass string?

And finally I need skulls! What's a good source of bulk skulls to be used in grooves, as floor trim, for everything?

Like these:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Those skulls are sculpted into the model itself, not added. GW sells a bits pack of pewter skulls somewhere on their website, though.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?P_ID=542 looks alright to me.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

The Saddest Robot posted:

I have a couple of modelling questions.

What is a good way of cutting clean arcs/circles/ovals in plastic card? I want to make some gothic-like arches for a space marine hallway.

Can anyone recommend something flexible to use for ribbed pipes that is thicker than a bass string?

And finally I need skulls! What's a good source of bulk skulls to be used in grooves, as floor trim, for everything?

1) Make your circle in pencil on the plasticard, and then score (not cut) into the card along the line, snapping it off when you're done. You may notice that this isn't exactly clean, but this is the only way I know how to cut a piece of plasticard without distorting it. Scissors are a bad, bad idea. After you cut it out, clean it up with a file or your knife, and there you are.

2) Flexible ribbed pipe? Have you tried looking for those thicker, ribbed drinking straws? The kind that are meant to be washed and reused, I mean. You should be able to find them for cheap at a party store or grocery store if you don't already own a bunch. You can also try looking in a home supply store's plumbing section for that flexible plastic pipe that's used for faucets.

3) You get get packs of skulls from the GW website, but I imagine you'll be wanting far more than 32 skulls. That being the case, I suggest making a resin cast of some skulls, so that way you have pretty much an unlimited supply for the initial investment of silicone and two-part casting resin. You can find both products on the Alumilite website. I recommend the starter kit, especially if you just plan on making the one mold.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sole.Sushi posted:

1) Make your circle in pencil on the plasticard, and then score (not cut) into the card along the line, snapping it off when you're done. You may notice that this isn't exactly clean, but this is the only way I know how to cut a piece of plasticard without distorting it. Scissors are a bad, bad idea. After you cut it out, clean it up with a file or your knife, and there you are.

No no no no no.

No.

buy one of these:

A compass cutter. I get good circles in up to 2.0mm thick plasticard, down to about 15mm diameter. Below that the cutter twists & spirals inward but anything else, nice & slow repeated shallow cuts & you get perfect curves.

Also, there are some good flexible ribbed tubes in various lego sets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What do you guys think about how the deff rolla turned out?

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Link for 'Uge

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm unsure whether to crosspost from the Oath thread or not since you probably all read it, but hey. Here are some Ogryns.

Click here for the full 700x209 image.

Click here for the full 700x292 image.

Click here for the full 700x318 image.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
oh man can some please post some tips/links to making/painting a good looking banner out of greenstuff. It's my first time trying to do a decent one and I really want it to turn out.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Stick a ball of greenstuff in a ziplock bag. Use two pieces of stiff cardboard to rock the ball until it's flat. Let it cure for a bit. Cut it out of the bag in whatever shape you want, and roll it around the flagpole.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

CyberLord XP posted:

oh man can some please post some tips/links to making/painting a good looking banner out of greenstuff. It's my first time trying to do a decent one and I really want it to turn out.

Take a soda can instead, and cut out a banner sized piece of aluminum.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
I just stripped me first model ever (pKreoss) and for those who ever doubted, Simple Green is amazing. I had primed the model with black matte, hit it with deneb stone foundation, then bleached bone with a skull white highlight. I decided I didn't like how it turned out and repeated the same process over again before deciding to just strip and prime with white.

I submerged the model in simple green for two hours and went to work with an old toothbrush... the paint came off in sheets!!..

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Cakefool posted:

No no no no no.

No.

buy one of these:

A compass cutter. I get good circles in up to 2.0mm thick plasticard, down to about 15mm diameter. Below that the cutter twists & spirals inward but anything else, nice & slow repeated shallow cuts & you get perfect curves.

I love you. :allears:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy gently caress, if you want to buy FW Inks, do it at DickBlick.com. 2.79 a bottle if you buy three or more. Goddamn it, I wish I'd seen that months ago.

I've been paying like $7 a bottle at Ben Franklins. Shiiiit.

e: vvv short answer is "yes" though I have only tried a few of the regular and a couple of pearlescent ones. The black is good, too, but it dries glossy. That can be dealt with either by mixing it with matte medium or by dullcoting it. The guy from awesomepaintjob.com uses a bunch of different colors for his washes, though I've only tried the black for that so far.

Fix fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 19, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Any colors worth getting other than white?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Fix, what do you use white inks for?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cakefool posted:

No no no no no.

No.

buy one of these:

This, a math sent and a new tube of super glue are at the top of my shopping list.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Fix posted:

What effect does it have on your white acrylics?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bobx66 posted:

What effect does it have on your white acrylics?

Well, the inks themselves are acrylic-based, and they pretty well behave like pre-thinned down paints. They mix well for tinting other colors (the grey on the basing of those sisters is just FW White and FW black), go where they're drawn, and dry smooth.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I really need to stop goofing around and finish painting my dudes. Haven't seriously worked on anything in months:

Hopefully I can cut those bases free and make them look decent; the guy who gave me those 3 bikes used plastic glue on everything and they're on there pretty good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Any colors worth getting other than white?

Sepia and black if you are thinking of making your own washes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Leave those dudes on the base, cut a 25mm round base in half, and stick each half on each side of the cavalry base.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Leave those dudes on the base, cut a 25mm round base in half, and stick each half on each side of the cavalry base.

pro tip: cavalry bases are actually only 23mm wide, not 25mm. I learnt this the hard way when making movement trays for a cavalry unit and wondered where the hell the extra 10mm came from in a unit of 5 guys :(

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

poo poo, you're right. It still shouldn't be too hard to convert to a bike base though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

enri posted:

pro tip: cavalry bases are actually only 23mm wide, not 25mm. I learnt this the hard way when making movement trays for a cavalry unit and wondered where the hell the extra 10mm came from in a unit of 5 guys :(

I added some thin runners to the movement tray so th cav bases could 'slide' in, it hides a bit of the edge gap but its far from perfect.

• Locked thread