Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Golden Bee posted:

That'd be a great visual joke, but very odd at an angle length. It can only go "guy vs similar looking guy" from there.

Don't worry, it's WCW. That angle was dropped in weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Edit: Sort of beaten.

Golden Bee posted:

That'd be a great visual joke, but very odd at an angle length. It can only go "guy vs similar looking guy" from there.

WCW, particularly during the death spiral, never thought anything past "this would be a great visual joke!"

WCW's final years were like hiring David Lynch and the ten hackiest comedy writers on Hollywood's D-List and giving them a blank checkbook and 18 trash bags full of cocaine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Free Market Gravy posted:

Edit: Sort of beaten.

WCW, particularly during the death spiral, never thought anything past "this would be a great visual joke!"

WCW's final years were like hiring David Lynch and the ten hackiest comedy writers on Hollywood's D-List and giving them a blank checkbook and 18 trash bags full of cocaine.

David Lynch was offered the job but became furious at the lack of coherent narrative and over-reliance on viewer interpretation and walked out of the interview.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

David Lynch was offered the job but became furious at the lack of coherent narrative and over-reliance on viewer interpretation
Wow, you never saw Lost Highway, did you?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Halloween Jack posted:

:ughh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I was too busy watching Alan Rickman playing happy go lucky nice guys who can't stop smiling and loves to give people lots of chances to prove themselves.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
I would much rather see David Cronenberg directing a wrestling company actually.

Up next, the amorphous flesh beast made out of sexual organs versus the biomechanical acid-spitting psychic hooker.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Dylar Addict posted:

Up next, the amorphous flesh beast made out of sexual organs versus the biomechanical acid-spitting psychic hooker.

Almost sounds like something ICP would do if they were creative.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dylar Addict posted:

I would much rather see David Cronenberg directing a wrestling company actually.

I liked Existenz, I never got the hate for it.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Jerusalem posted:

I liked Existenz, I never got the hate for it.

The problem with Existenz was that it was extremely low budget for what he was trying to accomplish, and came out around the same time as the Matrix.

While it is probably the smarter film, it just lacked a lot of polish and came off looking amateur for when it was made.

The 90's kinda sucked him for, except for Crash (the good version).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey, does anyone else remember when two guys who were already named Fit Finlay and Brian Knobbs formed a team called the Hardcore Soldiers, dressed in different colours of military camo and led Al Green around on a leash as their human dog?

That remains literally the gayest thing I have ever seen in my life.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dylar Addict posted:

I would buy every DVD that company put out.

I wish he went back to that instead of making really good crime films.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

FishBulb posted:

I would buy every DVD that company put out.

I wish he went back to that instead of making really good crime films.

I dunno, he made his masterpieces of the genre with Videodrome and The Fly. You cannot blame him for trying something new since he couldn't make a sci-fi movie better than those two.

Also: Everyone go see Franklyn. Its a good movie.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Dylar Addict posted:

I dunno, he made his masterpieces of the genre with Videodrome and The Fly. You cannot blame him for trying something new since he couldn't make a sci-fi movie better than those two.

Of course I can blame him, I am greedy and only care about my own entertainment.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, does anyone else remember when two guys who were already named Fit Finlay and Brian Knobbs formed a team called the Hardcore Soldiers, dressed in different colours of military camo and led Al Green around on a leash as their human dog?

That remains literally the gayest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Gayer than the tag team of Buff Bagwell & Scott Norton called Vicious & Delicious?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Gayer than the West Hollywood Blondes?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gayer than Kwee-wee?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Who gayer than Kanyon

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Gayer than the tag team of Buff Bagwell & Scott Norton called Vicious & Delicious?

Buff Bagwell and Scotty Riggs: The American Males

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VPP-sM_2YU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
I seriously loved the David-Crowbar-Daffney axis of whackiness.

On the subject of wrestling gayness, WCW should have had Dustin do the whole creepy Goldust act, but dressed in his old "The Natural" getup. It would be pretty hosed looking... in a good way. Then turn him face, dragging the neolithic rasslin' fans into a 1,000 year reich of beautiful tolerance.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

David Lunch loving sucks.

So WCW, right guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIs3PEhOwIs

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
You know what was weird? The Flair/Crowbar/Daffney stable was called The Badlanders.

No, I'm serious. That's what Penzer announced them as. Except that he only did it some of the time, which is why no one except me and a dozen or so sperglords in the south remember.

Same thing with A.J. Styles' tag team, Air Raid (he had a team with a guy named "Air Paris").

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Dario Delfino posted:

Same thing with A.J. Styles' tag team, Air Raid (he had a team with a guy named "Air Paris").

The word "spotfest" gets thrown around a bit these days but nothing I have seen comes close to this match in perfectly encapsulating a spotfest at its most extreme. For ten minutes a match featuring absolutely zero psychology, finishers and big moves being no sold and the most lame finisher compared to every other move in the match wondering how the gently caress that put them away:

Air Raid vs Jung Dragons (Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hayashi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37gmLnGlxQ

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

led Al Green around on a leash as their human dog?

?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

It's easy to say "let's stay together" if you're attached to the other person by a chain.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

David Lunch loving sucks.

So WCW, right guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIs3PEhOwIs

"That was like James Bond."
"Man... I'm so drunk."

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

The word "spotfest" gets thrown around a bit these days but nothing I have seen comes close to this match in perfectly encapsulating a spotfest at its most extreme. For ten minutes a match featuring absolutely zero psychology, finishers and big moves being no sold and the most lame finisher compared to every other move in the match wondering how the gently caress that put them away:

Air Raid vs Jung Dragons (Jimmy Yang and Kaz Hayashi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37gmLnGlxQ

In the middle of this Tenay and Schiavone begin talking about how this is the season finale of Thunder and that confused the ever-loving poo poo out of me :psyduck:

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004

Save Russian Jews posted:

In the middle of this Tenay and Schiavone begin talking about how this is the season finale of Thunder and that confused the ever-loving poo poo out of me :psyduck:

I could swear I remember them doing this with Raw at least once too, with the same "what the gently caress" reaction from any wrestling fan watching.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was the last Thunder ever.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

inconsequential posted:

I could swear I remember them doing this with Raw at least once too, with the same "what the gently caress" reaction from any wrestling fan watching.

Every fall they have a "season premier" for SmackDown. I could never figure out how a show that runs 52 weeks a year could have a season premier, but whatever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is probably the best place to post this, I won't be able to do the standard monthly Sunday Nostalgia show this week, would anyone have any objection to opening up the MYSTERY BOX on Saturday, instead? Otherwise I'll have to leave it at least a couple of weeks since Mania is next week.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

This is probably the best place to post this, I won't be able to do the standard monthly Sunday Nostalgia show this week, would anyone have any objection to opening up the MYSTERY BOX on Saturday, instead? Otherwise I'll have to leave it at least a couple of weeks since Mania is next week.

Sure I will watch the show on Saturday

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That'd be cool. Despite the booking, I think DesX will be a PPV full of good wrestling so I'd want to watch it as well as the nostalgia thread.

DGib
Jan 22, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Awesome, some dude on youtube posted a every segment of Warrior's WCW run.

His first promo is especially fascinating as each time he pauses for a pop, the pop gets smaller, and smaller and smaller until it is on the same level of anyone talking to Hulk Hogan. Also hilarious is some guy with a weird horn that pops up a few times.

Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKRuGZ6I1iM

Full Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=0C1287FD2AB8119A

Good god this poo poo goes on FOREVER.

I don't care who knows it but back when that first aired I marked out like the prissiest kind of bitch when he said "That must be your barber"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was watching a Nitro from 2001, and there was a scene where DDP was signing copies of his book for fans. I am pretty sure AJ Styles was an extra in the scene, playing a dude WAY too excited to see DDP. It was pretty hilarious

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I was watching a Nitro from 2001, and there was a scene where DDP was signing copies of his book for fans. I am pretty sure AJ Styles was an extra in the scene, playing a dude WAY too excited to see DDP. It was pretty hilarious

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be too excited to see DDP.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
I wrote my highschool fcat essay on DDP. He's the bestest.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Faxman posted:

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be too excited to see DDP.
I'm fairly certain the opposite is true.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

AJ Styles was in WCW in 2001 so he wouldn't have to be an "extra," in the sense that he was a random body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I'm fairly certain the opposite is true.

Even if one isn't a DDP fan, you can't not be excited to see him. He's just so enthusiastic about everything. He's excited, so you're excited.