Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
:krakken:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Dip went on too thick, I'll need to be less lazy and brush it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

Well, the inks themselves are acrylic-based, and they pretty well behave like pre-thinned down paints. They mix well for tinting other colors (the grey on the basing of those sisters is just FW White and FW black), go where they're drawn, and dry smooth.

Sounds pretty awesome. Doesn't it have some pretty excellent coverage, too?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I've always loved the look of steampunk, and while granted I haven't delved into the genre that much (I think my experience is simply watching Trigun and seeing steampunk pictures and interpretations online) I am interested in bringing the idea into 40k and a modelling project. I have yet to do any converting, working with greenstuff, or custom modelling whatsoever, so I figure that I may try my hand out at dong a few models. I'm sure a steampunk army has been attempted numerous times and I was curious as to peoples thoughts on which army lends itself best to this type of interpretation? I was thinking that Orks and Imperial guard could probably work best in steampunk varients but wanted to know what's been attempted and if anyone has advice for me or knows off the top of their head conversions that have been done already that would be good for inspiration.

I'm not neccissarily talking about building an army that I would be tournament legal as I'm not much of a gamer. I'm thinking more of something I can build for show, and maybe play some friendly games with if it comes to that.

So are there any other steampunk fans that care to weigh in on what they've seen or what would work well as a conversion army?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Steampunk is really bland and played out. Don't do this and you'll be happier with your army down the road.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Any MSP post with proper capitalization/grammar is a fakepost hth

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Amicable posted my response to the dude who I quoted. You just got served the ALLEY-OWN

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Amicable posted my response to the dude who I quoted. You just got served the ALLEY-OWN

:aaaaa:

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Goddam that was loving meta

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

For the Green Knights:

Micro Art Studio Temple bases
or
MAS Spooky Bases
or
DragonForge Lost Empires?

Bearing in mind that there's going to be like 40 of these guys in the end.

Edit: Anybody know of something a little more demonic?

Fix fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 20, 2010

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fix posted:

For the Green Knights:

or
MAS Spooky Bases
or

Between those 3, I'd say the first 2 are the front runners, the 3rd option just looks a little too 'sci-fi' for my tastes, especially given what'll be mounted on 'em

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fix posted:

For the Green Knights:

or
MAS Spooky Bases
or

MAS Owns, get the temple bases. If you want to get a ton of them I'd be down for splitting the cost.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

!amicable posted:

MAS Owns, get the temple bases. If you want to get a ton of them I'd be down for splitting the cost.

Is there a bulk discount somewhere? I probably ought to have looked at the price tag before getting into those.

There's these Infested bases, too. They're kinda sweet.

Fix fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 20, 2010

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

So, uhhh... here's my thoughts for my halved black/green Marine horde.

[IMG]http://img.waffleimages.com/c84f0b3383e1f3d276e684913b81a2ef5762407b/spacemarine[3].jpg[/IMG]

Thoughts for potential improvement, if any? (Or just praise my awesome scheme. One of those.)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/c84f0b3383e1f3d276e684913b81a2ef5762407b/spacemarine[3].jpg[/timg]

Thoughts for potential improvement, if any? (Or just praise my awesome scheme. One of those.)

Is that black or REALLY dark purple? I think it has potential.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

[timg]http://img.waffleimages.com/c84f0b3383e1f3d276e684913b81a2ef5762407b/spacemarine[3].jpg[/timg]

Aside from the fact that the black looks purple I think it's promising. I would consider a different eye color (perhaps blue). You could also consider using the same color on the kneecaps and shoulder trim that you use on the chest plate, but that's just thinking out loud.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are Humbrol Hobby Spray Acrylic paints any good for priming? They're pretty cheap at my local model shop

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are Humbrol Hobby Spray Acrylic paints any good for priming? They're pretty cheap at my local model shop

Are they primers? I've used the hubrol spray colours on top of primers before with success but they need dulling down afterwards with some matt spray.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Aside from the fact that the black looks purple I think it's promising. I would consider a different eye color (perhaps blue). You could also consider using the same color on the kneecaps and shoulder trim that you use on the chest plate, but that's just thinking out loud.

It is supposed to be an extremely dark purple, actually. More depth than just black alone. I was thinking of doing a 1:1 of chaos black and warlock purple (because I have those paints, but if there's a darker purple to start with...) then washing the gently caress out of it with badab black with a final layer of... the purple wash, to resuccitate the colour a bit.

I like this thing about the chestplate, though; I'll take your idea and run with it.

Would blue optics not be too close to both the green and the purple?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

It is supposed to be an extremely dark purple, actually. More depth than just black alone. I was thinking of doing a 1:1 of chaos black and warlock purple (because I have those paints, but if there's a darker purple to start with...) then washing the gently caress out of it with badab black with a final layer of... the purple wash, to resuccitate the colour a bit.

I like this thing about the chestplate, though; I'll take your idea and run with it.

Would blue optics not be too close to both the green and the purple?

Check out this link:
http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html

It's basically the difference between complementary and analogous colors. If you're planning on using green and purple then red will be a complementary color to the green, but not to the purple. On the other hand the blue is right between the purple and green, which makes it analogous to both.

Your best bet is to just paint up a couple of models and just run with it. I'm learning a ton of stuff about painting my battlewagon and noticing what works and what doesn't.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think this might work better if there was some sort of common color between the sides. As it is now, it looks like 2 seperate marine chapters got cut in half and glued together.

Maybe a common color area on both sides, like shoulderpad interior or kneepads or something

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Maybe a common color area on both sides, like shoulderpad interior or kneepads or something

What if I tied both sides together via red? Red eyes, red belt, red knees?

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

What if I tied both sides together via red? Red eyes, red belt, red knees?

If you want something in the red family, I'd suggest orange of some degree. Burnt orange or something. Red and Green is too christmas.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Also, when you start "banding" marines, ie - paintign all the seperate armor cuffs in a different color, they start to look a little stripey.

Id leave the belts and wrists the base color

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I goofed around with things a bit. Perhaps green eye lenses would work?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I goofed around with things a bit. Perhaps green eye lenses would work?

Red would probably work too- it contrasts fine with red and black. Barring that, white eyes are totally under done and could be cool. Maybe hit them with some blue ink, ice blue then finish with 1:1 ice blue to white.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well, if the armour is painted a dull green and the lenses are a much shinier and slightly different shade of green I guess it could work. Dab on a little bit of gloss varnish to make them stand out more, too.

I'd try yellow lenses, though. A nice golden one would fit great.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Id go red/orange/blue for the eye lenses, if they were mine.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I'd go with red eyes but otherwise I love it. How does it look quartered?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
What about yellow eye lenses?

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think that red eyes would be too sharp. Unless of course you pick a red that isn't overly intense.

richyp posted:

What about yellow eye lenses?

:respek:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Why didn't I oath him?! I have tons of other HQs, no biggie.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Probably a repeat stupid question, where's the marine painter everyone keeps using?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Fix posted:

That picture style but magma/lava.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Cakefool posted:

Probably a repeat stupid question, where's the marine painter everyone keeps using?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/smpbeta.php

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

chelsea clinton posted:

I think that red eyes would be too sharp. Unless of course you pick a red that isn't overly intense.

:respek:

I was thinking of Scab Red, actually. It's midtoneish enough to contrast against both the brighter green and the darker "black", I feel.

To clarify, my Marines are supposed to look like this.
[IMG]http://img.waffleimages.com/c7c0f04ae05f28b5d26954f59ee5df7ff6972936/cyclonejoker[1].jpg[/IMG]

The colours in this photo are a little off, both from my scheme and the actual tv show, but it's where my insistance on red comes from. If y'all have better ideas than I on how to evoke this, plz to be helpings. (Like, where can I get a sweet W-antenna to slap on my Sarge? Maybe a silver laurel?)

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You can just paint the whole helmet silver. It'd go better with the red. Just add some silver trims in general too.

You don't need to paint the eagle on the chest in a separate colour, either. It can just be included in the halved scheme like the rest of the chest.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welp this is what I'd do with a split black/green colour scheme, influences disregarded:

Except I wouldn't have any particular colour for the chest symbol. I'm not personally one much for green, though.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Split coloring the chest eagle purple and yellow would sort of be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
You could reverse the colors on the eagle, black on the green side and green on the black. Or do it in some other color, like gray or red.

• Locked thread