Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

revmoo posted:

Funny, I didn't think anyone preferred the looks of the NA. Chrome door handles and funky lights, no thanks.

I have an NB and really love the NA looks, wish I could have one.

However, I got my NB for under $5k with proof of waterpump and timing belt just being done and couldn't find an NA in good condition for that price.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

revmoo posted:

Funny, I didn't think anyone preferred the looks of the NA. Chrome door handles and funky lights, no thanks.

Pop up headlights are the single greatest design feature on any sports car. Every car that used to have them has been made ugly by their removal.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
The C6 vette looks miles ahead of the C5, but pop up headlights are awesome in general.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I don't lock my doors, I've only got a soft-top and would rather have someone steal all my turnpike toll change than have to buy a new top.

Yep, I do the same thing. I already had my top slashed once so that someone could discover I don't keep anything valuable in my car. Now I just never lock it. If someone so desires to see what's in my car (nothing), then I'd rather they just do it and don't break anything.

revmoo posted:

The NB looks like a slightly melted NA. I much prefer the NA styling. Plus pop-up headlights are awesome.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 19, 2010

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Yeah, for me to lose anything I care about, it would have to be the nerdiest car thief ever to steal the blank character sheets I printed at work and still haven't taken out of the car. Or the cassette adapter I use for my ipod.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Right, so I went outside to put my new headlights in, only to discover once I got the casing off that the screws on the housing (the silver ring bit) are made completely out of rust. The moment I stuck a screwdriver in there it was basically completely stripped. How do I get these things out, and where do I get replacements?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Diff oil is disgusting.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Phone posted:

Diff oil is disgusting.

Just be glad it's not ATF that got too hot.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Black licorice.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phone posted:

Diff oil is disgusting.

It is one of the most insidiously foul smelling substances I've ever encountered. It was all I could smell for a couple days after I changed mine.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
NA tail lights > NB tail lights.

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Suniikaa posted:

You can change that by bending a tab inside the door on the lock.

Can you elaborate on this?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

mobn posted:

It is one of the most insidiously foul smelling substances I've ever encountered. It was all I could smell for a couple days after I changed mine.

When I changed the diff oil on my Fbody the GM replacement stuff was grape scented.

It smelled like grape death.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Frank Dux posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

http://www.miata.net/garage/doorlock.html

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Am I a total oval office for leaving my new headlights aimed slightly high? I figure they're not high enough to blind anyone, but just high enough that if I pop the brights on some human being driving around with his fog lights on I can sunburn his retinas.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Am I a total oval office for leaving my new headlights aimed slightly high? I figure they're not high enough to blind anyone, but just high enough that if I pop the brights on some human being driving around with his fog lights on I can sunburn his retinas.
I'd say so. The brights are a pretty big shift - completely above the low beam cutoff.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What sort of headlights? I upgraded my '01s to some Philips HIDs that supposedly came off a MazdaSpeed Miata(don't know or care, I just know they're white as gently caress and brighter than hell). Goddamn things could blind God. Anyway, those + a set of springs + poorly aimed lights to begin with = the things aiming 2-3 inches high at 10 feet. I was pretty much blinding everyone, but gently caress them- I tolerated that poo poo for 8 years before I started blinding back. I say roll with it.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

PadreScout posted:

What sort of headlights? I upgraded my '01s to some Philips HIDs that supposedly came off a MazdaSpeed Miata(don't know or care, I just know they're white as gently caress and brighter than hell). Goddamn things could blind God. Anyway, those + a set of springs + poorly aimed lights to begin with = the things aiming 2-3 inches high at 10 feet. I was pretty much blinding everyone, but gently caress them- I tolerated that poo poo for 8 years before I started blinding back. I say roll with it.
gently caress off.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shockingly enough, the shifter turret was empty. Ran some fluid through and sucked it back out, and topped it off to 90mL. There's a difference, but I'm not going to be one of those m.net tards who raves about how it now shifts like butter.

destructo posted:

gently caress off.

With this guy.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream
Hey I just got my 96' out and the prognosis is bad, rust claimed my frame. Anyone in the Salt Lake area interested in a parts car? Hard top inclusion negotiable. Sad day:(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phone posted:

Shockingly enough, the shifter turret was empty. Ran some fluid through and sucked it back out, and topped it off to 90mL. There's a difference, but I'm not going to be one of those m.net tards who raves about how it now shifts like butter.

Are you glad you did it? Worth fixing my torn as hell shift boots? Going into 5th / reverse is really lovely for me, but I'm never going to be shifting hard into those gears so I can most definitely live with it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Weinertron posted:

Are you glad you did it? Worth fixing my torn as hell shift boots? Going into 5th / reverse is really lovely for me, but I'm never going to be shifting hard into those gears so I can most definitely live with it.

This was one of the first things I did on my 99. Turret fluid was very dirty and cloudy. I also did the trans fluid as well. For me it didn't really make much difference at all. I haven't replaced my boots yet, though I can't see how they would help much.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phatty Slayer posted:

Hey I just got my 96' out and the prognosis is bad, rust claimed my frame. Anyone in the Salt Lake area interested in a parts car? Hard top inclusion negotiable. Sad day:(
does it have popups? I need 1 screw for the headlight bezel and four for the trim, i'd love to drop you some cash to post them rather than get ripped off by a yard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

This was one of the first things I did on my 99. Turret fluid was very dirty and cloudy. I also did the trans fluid as well. For me it didn't really make much difference at all. I haven't replaced my boots yet, though I can't see how they would help much.

The first thing I did was transmission fluid in my '99, but I wouldn't really consider the turret a maintenance item, just a comfort thing. I doubt that I'm shifting hard enough to somehow hurt the turret or linkage.

I haven't gotten around to my diff yet. I know I should but the smell makes it such an unpleasant experience.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 21, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It does make a difference. 1-2 is a lot smoother, and I have a feeling I won't be missing 3rd as much.

The shift boots do reduce the noise and it isn't bad cost and time wise. I'd say to go for it with the shift boots. The nylon cup was 100% black when I pulled it out, but a good wiping down got it to be clean again.

It's cheap maintenance and worth doing. I have a procrastination problem, but I'm glad I did it. I just made the comment about mnet tards because they're loving insane about everything.

On a serious note, my brake fluid and clutch fluid are blue and my tranny's is red. That's like +15hps, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phone posted:

It's cheap maintenance and worth doing. I have a procrastination problem, but I'm glad I did it.

Before I do this though I should figure out what is making a slight grinding noise from my rear left. It sounds like a wheel bearing or brake caliper sticking, but the caliper isn't sticking and the wheel doesn't have any play. Do CV joints die on a RWD car? I thought most of the stress on them was from turning in a FWD car.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I'd say so. The brights are a pretty big shift - completely above the low beam cutoff.

I only flash the brights at people with their foglights on. I'm using the standard sylvanias that came with the bosch h4 kit. No one has flashed me yet, so I think I'm going to keep them where they are.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

Krakkles posted:

does it have popups? I need 1 screw for the headlight bezel and four for the trim, i'd love to drop you some cash to post them rather than get ripped off by a yard.

For sure, whatever you need really, I'd rather get parts to people here than anywhere else.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

Phatty Slayer posted:

I should put specs on here instead of assuming you are all physic.

Manual
Pop ups
BONE F'N Stock
138k miles
Seriously brand new tires (DAMMITTTTT!!!)
Factory hard top
Frightening breaks I was going to replace but well...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phatty Slayer posted:

Manual
Pop ups
BONE F'N Stock
138k miles

What color is the hardtop, and do you have 14" or 15" wheels? I want a 2nd set of wheels, would prefer 15".

14" wheels have a punishing tires selection. I'd buy anyone's 15" stock Miata wheels, I really like the look and weight of the stock ones compared to the options on Tirerack.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 21, 2010

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

It does make a difference. 1-2 is a lot smoother, and I have a feeling I won't be missing 3rd as much.

How do you miss 3rd gear?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phatty Slayer posted:

How the hell bad was this rust?

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

Weinertron posted:

What color is the hardtop, and do you have 14" or 15" wheels? I want a 2nd set of wheels, would prefer 15".

14" wheels have a punishing tires selection. I'd buy anyone's 15" stock Miata wheels, I really like the look and weight of the stock ones compared to the options on Tirerack.

14" 7-spokes on mine...

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

Ziploc posted:

How the hell bad was this rust?

1) Jacked up car.
2) Put jack stand under car.
3) Crushed rusty frame in 1" before panicking and jacking and moving stand.

Pretty rusty. Road salt should be illegal.

It could probably be repaired but I have several other cars that are daily drivers to focus on and I cant afford time and money to fix it.

Also when I had it shipped here the dumbasses dropped it on the truck= added screwedness.

Phatty Slayer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 21, 2010

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phatty Slayer posted:

For sure, whatever you need really, I'd rather get parts to people here than anywhere else.
Edit: Was going to PM, but board says you can't receive.

I need four of the screws that hold the black trim piece around the lights (there are four on each side, I'm missing two from each side), and one of the tiny tiny tiny screws that holds the bezel ring on the light. I can snap pics if you're not sure what I'm talking about, and I'd be happy to pay ... I dunno, $15? They should fit in an envelope, I don't need them here tomorrow. Let me know what you think is fair, and I'll paypal you :)

(mobn probably wants the rest of the bezel screws)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 21, 2010

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Phatty Slayer posted:

1) Jacked up car.
2) Put jack stand under car.
3) Crushed rusty frame in 1" before panicking and jacking and moving stand.

Pretty rusty. Road salt should be illegal.

It could probably be repaired but I have several other cars that are daily drivers to focus on and I cant afford time and money to fix it.

Also when I had it shipped here the dumbasses dropped it on the truck= added screwedness.
That doesn't sound like rust. The frame rails on Miatas are notoriously soft. I have never seen a Miata without the rails crushed at least a little bit. Be sure you are using the correct jacking points before writing off the chassis.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

Vitamin J posted:

That doesn't sound like rust. The frame rails on Miatas are notoriously soft. I have never seen a Miata without the rails crushed at least a little bit. Be sure you are using the correct jacking points before writing off the chassis.

Trust me, its rust. There was enough sloughing off of material and sudden movement along with deformity to send me into a panic. I am aware of the softness that you are talking about, and this was definitely well beyond that. I didn't give up on the car at first, inspecting it further I discovered additional corrosion damage that outweigh the cost of repair. Also the points I was using were exactly the ones used before. I really don't want to get rid of this car, it is my favorite. Seems I put it through to many environments though and it suffered. I had big plans for this Miata and they are all dashed away.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Phatty Slayer posted:

Manual
Pop ups
BONE F'N Stock
138k miles
Seriously brand new tires (DAMMITTTTT!!!)
Factory hard top
Frightening breaks I was going to replace but well...

Seriously, can you mail me the bezels and and screws for them so I can just break the old ones off? I'll pay five bucks plus whatever the mailing cost is.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream

mobn posted:

Seriously, can you mail me the bezels and and screws for them so I can just break the old ones off? I'll pay five bucks plus whatever the mailing cost is.

Okay for the sake of deconfliction you need the bezels, not the screws that hold on the deflectors right?

EDIT: P.S. I should be able to be PMed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phatty Slayer posted:

Okay for the sake of deconfliction you need the bezels, not the screws that hold on the deflectors right?

EDIT: P.S. I should be able to be PMed now.

Board still says no :( my email is my username @gmail.com.