Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boywunda posted:

After I finish The Wire, not too sure what I'll tackle next. Probably Curb Your Enthusiasm....or Arrested Development. I'm interested in some "new" comedy.

Those are probably the two best comedies to come out in a long time. Maybe ever. They both have their own extremely unique brand of humour though, so don't go into it with superlative expectations. AD has this problem especially, it's been hyped so much that if you don't get into it right away it might be off-putting. Just judge them on their own merit, as you should for any media I guess, ideally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

The Walrus posted:

Those are probably the two best comedies to come out in a long time. Maybe ever. They both have their own extremely unique brand of humour though, so don't go into it with superlative expectations. AD has this problem especially, it's been hyped so much that if you don't get into it right away it might be off-putting. Just judge them on their own merit, as you should for any media I guess, ideally.

Which I do already...I'm the best judge of what I like, based off what I see, not what other people tell me they see. And I've known that the both have their own style of comedy that differs from the typical comedy series on like major networks. I have however heard great reviews for both, so I'm confident I'll love em.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Finishing up S6 of Homicide: Life on the Streets and heading into S7. I have to say it might be my favorite primetime show ever.

It's the precursor to The Wire and it shows. I daresay that it even does a better job of depicting police and detectives even better than The Wire, though it's mostly just the handful of characters and mostly focused on Homicide. The Wire has a better, tighter arc and scope, but as for daily life of a murder cop, Homicide is it.

Also doing S1 of Damages which is a little too TV-y, but pretty drat fun.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Noxville posted:

The one thing I remember best about The West Wing is that the bit where Josh is posting on the internet and finds his fans are weird and obsessive is based on Aaron Sorkin going on some forum (possibly TWOP?) and not getting the rapturous welcome he was expecting. Which is kind of a little pathetic, really.

Well, you create a fairly sophisticated and intelligent show which builds up a loyal fan-base. You go on the internet to talk to these fans expecting them, some may say naively, to also be intelligent and sophisticated. Instead, what you get is fan-fiction of the president being taking roughly over the desk in the oval office by the chief of staff. I'd be a bit put out too if that was my first exposure to internet fandom.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

I recently finished watching the original The Prisoner. I only was able to force myself to watch the core 7 episodes, though, and I think it was the most pointless TV show I've ever made myself sit through. I don't get it. At all.

I just started up on Mad Men, and watched ~6 episodes in the last two days. It's pretty dry and at times I find myself wanting a bit more of a distinct plot arc to latch onto, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. I'll probably finish the first season by the end of this week.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I recently bought all eleven seasons of M*A*S*H on DVD for a really good price. I'm up to season three at the moment. I like having the option to watch it without the laugh track. It drastically changes the tone of the show.

In a slightly unrelated note, I tried to get my father into watching The Wire, but he didn't like it. He also hated the movies District 9 and Inglorious Basterds. It's pretty much clear to me now that I didn't get my taste in TV and film from him.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to watch next. I think I'll tackle Twin Peaks because I've been on a David Lynch binge lately. After that I'll probably do Battlestar Galactica because I've been meaning to watch it.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Just finished season 2 of The Shield. Started season 3 tonight.

After I get through that, I guess Lost, since I've never watched it but bought 5 seasons of it on Blu-Ray before Xmas when it was an Amazon daily deal. That or Deadwood.

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm on the last season of The Shield. I have to say I kinda don't care much anymore, but i've got like 5 episodes left, so gently caress it. It was a fun show. Dutch was my favorite character.

I'm considering Six Feet Under next, because to be honest I'm really running out of shows that are supposed to be good.

It can definitely drag at times but SFU is definitely worth watching through in its entirety.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just finished Glee. What a great show. It shouldn't be a great show by the description which reads like High School Musical and Disney targeting tween demographics, but it just rocks for reasons I can put my finger on at all.

The girls are gorgeous; the writing and jokes are lovely, and it helps that the show seems to be self-deprecating and make fun of its own genre.

It also helps that the narrative is so messed up and fast-paced because it has to reflect the mentality of a pubescent high-school student. Some reviewers have not got this when they watched it which probably says more about their desire to affirm the presumptions about the series.

Watch the pilot, and you should be able to decide whether to watch it or at least juuust take a glimpse at another episode, or two. Or three. Or twelve.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I just finished catching up on Weeds. I don't really get why people dislike the later seasons so much. It's way different than the first two, and a lot more ridiculous poo poo happens, but I think it's as good as ever. It's still hilarious, and it still manages to keep me engaged. The ending of season 5 was like :aaaaa:

:350:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just finished season 1 of Fame (1982) on Netflix, and midway through season 2. I loving love it. I used to watch as a kid, but I didn't remember a drat thing about it other than the intro song/credits. I might cringe whenever Lori Singer opens her mouth, but I also drool whenever Gene Anthony Ray dances in those little shorts and mesh tank tops.

It's not as gritty as Fame the movie (1980), but the series is a solid B/B+ for me. If you're at all nostalgic for the 70s/80s, were ever involved in music/dance/theatre, and/or love Glee (because of the singing/dancing, not in spite of it), give Fame a shot.

Meow Cadet fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 18, 2010

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just finished season one of Mad Men. I need to watch more of what's highly regarded around these parts. I hope season 2 is as good as the first.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm almost done with season 5 of Lost. It's a very real concern that I'll have the series finale spoiled for me while I wait, but I just can't stand watching that show weekly and thus wait for a friend to buy the DVDs.

As for the quality of the season....eeeeegh I dunno. It's a step up from the all-time low from the start of season 3, but I'm just not nearly as interested as I was with season 4.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Radd McCool posted:

I just finished season one of Mad Men. I need to watch more of what's highly regarded around these parts. I hope season 2 is as good as the first.
Season 1 is by far the best in my opinion. The following seasons are mostly about personal development.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

I'm almost done with season 5 of Lost. It's a very real concern that I'll have the series finale spoiled for me while I wait, but I just can't stand watching that show weekly and thus wait for a friend to buy the DVDs.

You should hold out til the finale (and you don't really have to wait for the DVDs since I'm sure the ep's are online somewhere). Season 6 is definitely not the breakneck pace reveal orgy that I thought it was gonna be.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I've owned the Twin Peaks Gold Set forever but had never gotten around to watching it until this past weekend.

I just finished the episode where Laura Palmer's killer is finally revealed, directed by David Lynch himself, and holy poo poo that was one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen from a television series. I was totally not expecting the killer to be revealed in a random episode in Season 2, either. What happened next...I'm surprised they got away with airing that. Especially on CBS.

I cannot wait to get home from work and binge through the rest of the series.

Sidenote: Twin Peaks had so many hot girls on it. Too bad I got into this series 20 years too late. I have a crush on Sherilyn Fenn circa 1990. :)

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I just finished catching up on Weeds. I don't really get why people dislike the later seasons so much. It's way different than the first two, and a lot more ridiculous poo poo happens, but I think it's as good as ever. It's still hilarious, and it still manages to keep me engaged. The ending of season 5 was like :aaaaa:

:350:

Came here to post this verbatim, god bless Netflix.

I hate how they keep trying to shoe-horn in cast B, keep Kevin Nealon, but Isabelle, Dean, Sanjay, and Lupita, all dead weight.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

qbert posted:

So I've owned the Twin Peaks Gold Set forever but had never gotten around to watching it until this past weekend.

I just finished the episode where Laura Palmer's killer is finally revealed, directed by David Lynch himself, and holy poo poo that was one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen from a television series. I was totally not expecting the killer to be revealed in a random episode in Season 2, either. What happened next...I'm surprised they got away with airing that. Especially on CBS.

I cannot wait to get home from work and binge through the rest of the series.

Sidenote: Twin Peaks had so many hot girls on it. Too bad I got into this series 20 years too late. I have a crush on Sherilyn Fenn circa 1990. :)

There's a Twin Peaks thread that recently sprang back to life if you're interested.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Flatscan posted:

Well, you create a fairly sophisticated and intelligent show which builds up a loyal fan-base. You go on the internet to talk to these fans expecting them, some may say naively, to also be intelligent and sophisticated. Instead, what you get is fan-fiction of the president being taking roughly over the desk in the oval office by the chief of staff. I'd be a bit put out too if that was my first exposure to internet fandom.

Yep it was TWOP and I think it was at first he was welcomed there and then the crazies took control and drove him off, also I am finishing up Cheers and man that is a great show.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 19, 2010

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
Just finished Alias Season 4, it wasn't terrible under any stretch. While the some of the stand-alone(terrorist has sci-fi weapon X, take them out) were forgettable, the main arc, especially starting with "A Second Mr. Sloane" was phenomenal. While having Rembaldi's greatest creation being a Zombie-Maker could be construed as jumping the shark, it isn't because they played it straight with excellent writing.

Also, Sloane was the main character this season, with Jack being the 2nd main, I don't care what anyone else says :colbert:

I'm looking forward to watching season 5.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm putting off watching this season of 24 so I can marathon the whole thing when it's over. I was thinking about giving Gossip Girl a binge through but that's because I have absolutely nothing else that's binge worthy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Roshi posted:

Just finished Alias Season 4, it wasn't terrible under any stretch. While the some of the stand-alone(terrorist has sci-fi weapon X, take them out) were forgettable, the main arc, especially starting with "A Second Mr. Sloane" was phenomenal. While having Rembaldi's greatest creation being a Zombie-Maker could be construed as jumping the shark, it isn't because they played it straight with excellent writing.

Also, Sloane was the main character this season, with Jack being the 2nd main, I don't care what anyone else says :colbert:

Like teflon.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I'm going through the whole run of The Rockford Files on hulu. Always loved it, wondered what kind of writing changes it went through as it developed past the first half season.

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 21, 2010

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Roshi posted:

I loved Alias while it was on, but I tried going back and re-watching it a year or so ago and couldn't make it past the first few episodes. That having been said, if you've made it through Season 3 you're past the worst the show has to offer. Enjoy the last season!

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I just bombed through the entirety of Extras this weekend after starting to listen to the Ricky Gervais Guide to... audio books.

God...this show...I can't even believe how hilarious it was. I just couldn't stop watching to save my life. Patrick Stewart, Harry Potter flinging a condom onto an old ladies head, everything that Maggie says.. seriously the best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time.

I don't think anything can ever top David Bowie making up a song about how Andy should kill himself in front of an entire club. Hell, I even liked Chris Martin. I'm going to have to go back and watch the British Office again. I liked it well enough, I just had a lot of trouble understanding some of the accents, something I didn't really have any trouble with during Extras.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Extras series 1 is pretty great, but I thought that series 2 became increasingly self-serving for Ricky Gervais, culminating in that absolutely ghastly Mary-Sue speech his self-insert gave in the Christmas Special. A drat shame.

As for me, I've just finished series 2 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Holy poo poo this show loving rules, it's a pity it's never caught on over here in the UK. I am actually in deep, passionate love with Charlie Day. Man that guy is great.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Started watching Rome yesterday and I'm getting through the first season right now.

Holy poo poo, this show kicks all sorts of rear end and the production is simply amazing.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.

Adrianics posted:

Extras series 1 is pretty great, but I thought that series 2 became increasingly self-serving for Ricky Gervais, culminating in that absolutely ghastly Mary-Sue speech his self-insert gave in the Christmas Special. A drat shame.

As for me, I've just finished series 2 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Holy poo poo this show loving rules, it's a pity it's never caught on over here in the UK. I am actually in deep, passionate love with Charlie Day. Man that guy is great.

Sunny is truly one of the funniest shows on television. After season 2 things start to get a little less grounded and a bit more wacky but it is still loving hilarious. Sweet Dee and Mac's characters also start to get a bit more fleshed out and more rounded. Frank....just watch. Frank will become your new Charlie.

Day Man AHHHA AH, fighter of the Night Man, AHHA Ah, Champion of the Sun! Master of Karate and Friendship for everyone!

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

the great deceiver posted:

Started watching Rome yesterday and I'm getting through the first season right now.

Holy poo poo, this show kicks all sorts of rear end and the production is simply amazing.

Only real downside of this series is the unavoidable depression that follows after you finish the last episode.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Leviathan posted:

Only real downside of this series is the unavoidable depression that follows after you finish the last episode.

In that case, you need to head here and hope a lot.

Ratatozsk fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 22, 2010

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
4 episodes left of Lost S5. In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode? Because the latest one was pretty insufferable (in other words, business as usual).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode?

No.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Right now I'm about halfway through the first season of Weeds, and plan to check out Hung next.

Other than these two and Breaking Bad (which I'm already addicted to), can anyone recommend a good series in the "fish out of water turns to an illegal career to support their family" genre? I've been really digging these kind of shows lately.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
I recently caught up with Its Always Sunny, blazed through all the seasons and man is it just brilliant. Its seriously ruined all other comedies for me, that's how high it set the bar.

But the characters to change a lot after season 1 don't they? I mean in season 1 they do some horrible stuff, but they still have feelings and seem to be regular humans, but from season 2 on everything is so... sociopathic?

Nonetheless I love the show, Wildcard bitchez and frank starting up the chainsaw growling at the serial killer's apartment as well as the Day man musical was all just too brilliant.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

At first I honestly thought you lot getting us to watch Avatar TLAB was some kind of obscure troll, especially given the meaning of the word "bender" in the UK. I read the summary on TV.com and thought it sounded hilarious enough, so decided to happily fall for the troll and gave it a try.

They're not trolling; it's pretty good. I'm about halfway through book 2. I mostly save it for the Saturday mornings I'm not in work to watch in bed and remind myself of being a kid, or for when I'm stoned. Like Clone Wars, I wish this show had been around when I actually was a kid.

I just love how each and every character, even the "bad guys", have depth of character and sensible motivations for the things they do. We've come a long way since Skeletor sat in his castle cackling and wishing he had a mustache to twirl.

The Infamous Shane
Dec 19, 2007
Call me Shane Mcloon, Super Goon.

Nate RFB posted:

4 episodes left of Lost S5. In the entire history of the show, has there ever been a good Kate episode? Because the latest one was pretty insufferable (in other words, business as usual).

Eggtown was good for one reason. Locke's grenade breakfast for miles.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KillRoy posted:

I just bombed through the entirety of Extras this weekend after starting to listen to the Ricky Gervais Guide to... audio books.

God...this show...I can't even believe how hilarious it was. I just couldn't stop watching to save my life. Patrick Stewart, Harry Potter flinging a condom onto an old ladies head, everything that Maggie says.. seriously the best 30 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Not just an old lady but Dame Diana Rigg or Emma Peel of Avengers fame and Teresa Bond of On her Majesty's Secret Services

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Noxville posted:

No.

Whatever Happened, Happened was okay, and Tabula Rasa was good.

Anyways, I just finished Season 1 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, it's certainly different from the other Star Trek shows I've seen but I don't know if I like it yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CPFortest posted:

Whatever Happened, Happened was okay
That is actually the one I was referring to; I thought it was the lowpoint of the season to be honest :shobon:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I find Kate episodes tolerable when the main plot is going somewhere interesting. If it's just one of those time-waster Kate episodes (especially prevalent in the first three seasons) then yeah, it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Nate RFB posted:

That is actually the one I was referring to; I thought it was the lowpoint of the season to be honest :shobon:

There's no way that it was worse than The Little Prince, at least Whatever Happened Happened had Miles and Hurley arguing about time travel and Ben waking up in horror to Locke at the end.