Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Remember that Subaru XT that was in a deserty junkyard that had tons and tons of good pics, and then a couple chicks posing with it? I think that person has struck again with a busted Javelin:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415193654

Apparently they have a really terrible website, too.
http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/MSWgirls.shtml

You just can't buy patina like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That Javelin is awesome and I would drive it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pipkin posted:

That Javelin is awesome and I would drive it.
Yeah, it is all surface rust, which wont take much to fix. Guessing from the condition of it, it has been in dry weather most of its life.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

You Am I posted:

Yeah, it is all surface rust, which wont take much to fix. Guessing from the condition of it, it has been in dry weather most of its life.

Surface rust is a vague definition though - I guess anything that doesn't have light shining through it could be classified as such. If getting the "surface" rust away requires grinding away 75% of the steel's thickness in order to get all the little moon crater rust pits away too, it ain't worth much.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Pilsner posted:

Surface rust is a vague definition though - I guess anything that doesn't have light shining through it could be classified as such. If getting the "surface" rust away requires grinding away 75% of the steel's thickness in order to get all the little moon crater rust pits away too, it ain't worth much.

You've never done body work before, have you?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pipkin posted:

That Javelin is awesome and I would drive the gently caress out of it.

Fixed, slightly.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

You don't always need to divulge the truth in your craigslist ad.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

change my name posted:

Thought this was a convertible at first until I realized the roof is just rusted away :psyduck:

That's what vinyl tops do to roof panels. This car has the extra metal trim pieces what would have bordered the top so it must have had one. Water gets trapped under the vinyl and rusts the metal. My Cutlass has some pretty serious damage around the window channels and some heavy pitting (and some perforation) where the seams in the top ran across the top of the roof, this car will probably be similar.

That's still better than having to replace floors or quarter panels, though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-GL-Coupe_W0QQitemZ110507981743QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item19bac9fbaf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

frozenphil posted:

You've never done body work before, have you?

Yes I have, but thanks for the baseless assumption.

You've never been anywhere near the Javelin in the pictures, have you? Just assuming it's surface rust that'll grind right out is naive, or least just an assumption.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 23, 2010

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pilsner posted:

You've never been anywhere near the Javelin in the pictures, have you? Just assuming it's surface rust that'll grind right out is naive, or least just an assumption.

Based on those pictures, it's more than surface rust. The floorboards look pretty rough, even the air filter housing has a hole rusted through it, which makes me think that thing has more surprises.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1656608637.html

Saw this today and for a brief second almost thought about checking my bank account for Mustang/nascar shirt/aviator money.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

wretched_gavek posted:

Saw this today and for a brief second almost thought about checking my bank account for Mustang/nascar shirt/aviator money.

I don't think you understand. I asked for the LARGE cowl induction hood.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ab0z posted:

Jesus christ, I've seen Evel Knievel jump off smaller ramps.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ab0z posted:

While it is rather large, a 351W with a high rise intake does require a cowl hood to fit in a fox body chassis. He probably just found that one locally for real cheap and went with it instead of the 3" cowl he needed. Rednecks have a hard on for huge cowl hoods.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
It always cracks me up when some idiot gets a huge scoop or cowl-type hood to clear their air cleaner.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnomad posted:

You just can't buy patina like that!

You can in Tijuana!

... Oh, on the car. I see.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
The only way I would rock out that style hood is if I had a window on the whole front part showing WHY it was needed (if its that large due to needing it that large) Now if it was on the car with no need, well then I wouldnt be rocking it out.

Who am I kidding, I would grow a mullet and drive that car everywhere. Even if it had a stock 302, go northern rednecking.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
How do you even see someone pulling out into the street on your right with that thing?..

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

el topo posted:

How do you even see someone pulling out into the street on your right with that thing?..

if that's you can i ask how it happened? :frogsiren:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
That's not me, but from what I hear it's what can happen if you try and make improvised explosives in your basement :supaburn:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

wretched_gavek posted:

Does anyone have any good resources/documentation of the :science:science :science: behind cowl hoods? It seems like everywhere I've looked describes an air pocket, turbulence, hand-waving, then magically the engine benefits from it. It would be nice to have cowl induction described in unequivocal engineering terms, especially with what types of motors benefit the most.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the way i've heard it explained is that there's a high pressure area in front of the windshield and cowl induction takes advantage of that. sounded sensible enough to me anyway v:downs:v

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Does anyone have any good resources/documentation of the :science:science :science: behind cowl hoods? It seems like everywhere I've looked describes an air pocket, turbulence, hand-waving, then magically the engine benefits from it. It would be nice to have cowl induction described in unequivocal engineering terms, especially with what types of motors benefit the most.

99% of the people running a cowl induction hood are doing it for one of two reasons, looks or engine clearance.

However, NASCAR does a lot of wind tunnel testing and I doubt they'd run a setup that draws air from the cowl area (not via a cowl hood, but from the same area) if there was no benefit.

Another neat picture:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

frozenphil posted:

This is awesome. Do you have a source of this image or a lead on more info?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is awesome. Do you have a source of this image or a lead on more info?

Tineye shows it coming from here: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2455/article.html
I picked it up from some random place a long time ago.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

frozenphil posted:

Tineye shows it coming from here: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2455/article.html
I picked it up from some random place a long time ago.
Thank you!

valinhorn
Jun 25, 2006
I am no one to be Trifled with!!!!
This one didn't look so bad

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1657223820.html

quote:

audi a4 - $3000 (pdx)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-03-23, 7:14AM PDT
Reply to: sale-qqzpv-1657223820@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selling my 98 audi A4 1.8T with just over 93K. Santorin blue with black leather, power everything, none quattro, tiptronic/automatic, this car has been my daily driver for the past 3 years the tags just expired last month.

Mods:
lowered on tein springs
APR chip
custom 2.5" turboback exhaust
front mount intercooler

It sat for almost two months now I tried to start it a few days ago it cranks but doesn't turn over so the car will have to be towed away the battery is still good I dont know what it is I dont have money to take it to a shop im asking 3000 obo any more questions Call or Text (503)290-8615
The car does have a reconstructed title I bought it this way from previous owner.

That was until I got to this pic of the headliner:

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
What man has done, man can undo. That's still a decent price for that car.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

valinhorn posted:

That was until I got to this pic of the headliner:

WHY? :psyduck:

Come to think of it, it's awfully low as well. I've met people who've done that to their Audis and inevitably they confess that they're forced to "drive like a grandma" to not damage their cars (further).

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
I want this scout, so, so much. Even with the four cylinder and "usual rust problems" :negative:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1657714288.html

edit: listing was gone within four hours of posting.

MATLAB 1988 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 24, 2010

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I can't tell what's going on here. Either he just rolled the Dubs in front of the normal wheels, or those shits are like 2 feet wide.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
he probably has huge spacers on them. it's pretty popular to have your wheels stick out like that in texas for some goddam reason

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Spicy Chili posted:

What man has done, man can undo. That's still a decent price for that car.

What thats a horrible price for an automatic front wheel drive audi with a dolla dolla bill roof liner.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

D C posted:

What thats a horrible price for an automatic front wheel drive audi with a dolla dolla bill roof liner.

...that doesn't even run

ad posted:

It sat for almost two months now I tried to start it a few days ago it cranks but doesn't turn over so the car will have to be towed away

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
Welp, missed the non-running part. Never mind, burn the car.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

frozenphil posted:

Another neat picture:

I wonder why they chose an RX-7.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/1654446199.html

quote:

Chevy Crew Cab Ex-Cab! SHOW READY IM LOOKING FOR AN AUDI A8 06 OR NEWER OR CASH******

350 small block, Weiand intake, Holley 650 carb, K&N air cleaner. Headman shorty headers with 2 40 series Flowmaster exhaust. 400 Turbo transmission, 2 piece driveline with 14 inch extended rear section. Drive line done by Universal Joint Specialties in Fort Smith, Ark. Chevy 10 bolt rearend. Wheelbase is 14foot 7inches. Has fully boxed chassis under cab with 2x4 ¼ inch wall tubing. It is also Stock floor body dropped. Full air suspension, Slam Specialties RS-8 air bags at all 4 corners, Bell tech 3 inch drop spindles in front, custom 2 link with watts link in rear. All air suspension component mounted under cab and bed, except the compressor is engine driven to give u as much air as u need in seconds. The 5 gallon tank is located under passenger side rear of cab. Running RIDE TECH E3 AIR MANAGEMENT to regulate the ride height(digital) . Rolling on 22 inch Eagle alloy wheels with 265/35 Kumho tires. Gas tank is mounted on driver side under rear of cab, with gas filler moved to the bed floor. It is also equipped with a train horn kit, compressor and tank are located under rear of bed floor. The color is Madoui Sour Green with the bed has Spray in Raptor Liner to match the color.

The cab is a one of a kind custom made 4 door extended cab with power rear and extended cab windows. Has shaved door handles with Autoloc shaved door handle kit. Shaved hood cowl and tailgate. Bed floor raised 11 inches to cover the notch in frame for the axle. All windows are power and a 70 inch sliding ragtop to let plenty of sun and air in the cab while driving. Has power disc brakes in front , rear has drum brakes. Power steering, with tilt steering column from a 91 Suburban, custom built dash and console in one. Equipped with everything u need Gauges, Kenwood CD unit, Speakers, and all your switches for the windows . All door panels and seats were custom made to match along with the trim. Battery is located under rear of bed with jumpers for ease of access, and keeps charged up by a Powermaster 200 amp altenator.

The truck was finished up in August of 09. Hasn’t had a lot of driving time. Was always trailered to car shows. It runs and drives great, Has about 2000 miles on motor and trans. Feel free to ask any question you may have, for any info just call 914 774 5350. If U don’t reach me at the time, leave me a message and I will call U back. Thanks for looking.

OVER $70000 INVESTED
MUST SELL MUST SEE**
CALL 914 774 5350

I HAVE MORE PICS

:psyduck:

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Aceshighxxx posted:

I can't tell what's going on here. Either he just rolled the Dubs in front of the normal wheels, or those shits are like 2 feet wide.

It's got a Cadillac converter! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Aceshighxxx posted:

Was I the only one expecting to read "hellaflush" right behind engine flush and tranny flush?