Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
If anyone is following HBO's How to Make it in America, they did a bit on NYC skating. Watch it for the little bits of Gino if nothing else:

http://www.hbo.com/#/how-to-make-it...aayMQIAUmYXOA==

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Minimaul posted:

What ever happened to the fear of getting beat up for being at the park and getting in peoples ways, or not being good enough? Kids these days...

That was back when there was one skatepark for 50 miles and basically anyone who was any good would skate there. Now there is a skate park (or three) in every city so the real estate isn't as valuable.

Kids do have it pretty nice these days. What with all of the public funding that goes into building skate parks that are well-lit and not made out of kicked-in bags of cement you bought for half-price (after you kicked them in yourself).

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

True that.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and skating through airports on my hands and knees. Yay baby, I'm old school! haha. Back when airports were fun and skateboards had no noses.

I'm up here in Anchorage Alaska and we got a few dismal parks. I miss the good ole days of just going to one of the schools and spending all day skating there. Can't do that now, otherwise I'd probably skate a lot more. I don't like dealing with the parks cause they're small, crowded and filled with people I don't like anymore. The road out front of my apartment is too poo poo to skate on otherwise I'd get a box or a rail or something and shesh it up. Guess i'll just have to man-up and find a place to shred this summer.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Minimaul posted:

True that.

I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and skating through airports on my hands and knees. Yay baby, I'm old school! haha. Back when airports were fun and skateboards had no noses.

I'm up here in Anchorage Alaska and we got a few dismal parks. I miss the good ole days of just going to one of the schools and spending all day skating there. Can't do that now, otherwise I'd probably skate a lot more. I don't like dealing with the parks cause they're small, crowded and filled with people I don't like anymore. The road out front of my apartment is too poo poo to skate on otherwise I'd get a box or a rail or something and shesh it up. Guess i'll just have to man-up and find a place to shred this summer.

All of the pavement in Anchorage (or Alaska in general) is poo poo. You should make friends with someone who can get you into the air force base because they have a decent skate park (or they did back in the late nineties).

Once the weather gets nice up there you'll be all set for weekend trips to Girdwood. I always had a blast at the park down there.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

yeah, the girdwood park is good, and one of my favorites. Just a long drive. I lived in Girdwood on and off for a few years so I spent some time there. I'm not sure on the base skatepark situation. I just want to shred in a nice little place with a box and curbs and poo poo. I miss Hanshew. :(

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What happened to Hanshew? I imagine by now they've put stoppers on the ledges and the steps.

Which is a real shame because that spot was the loving jam back in the day. Great spot to learn and even greater spot to watch the really good skaters go huge off the second and third ledges.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
Finally found a nice park here in the South Bay that is really nice for longboard carving. If there are any other longboarding goons around here, check out Cuesta Park in Mountain View. There are a couple of short but steep hills back-to-back with each other and a really nice "half-pipe" (paved path about 10" deep between two edges of a little gully. Hard to describe but just imagine a half-pipe made out of buckling pavement surrounded by a grassy knoll) that is a lot of fun to shoot down. The whole park kind of sits on an incline so I spend ~half my time pushing slightly uphill and the entire rest of the time is zooming down. It's fun, but the more I skate it the smaller it seems to get.

If you see me riding around on my longboard say hi :)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Just bought myself a 400 dollar gift. Loaded Dancer longboard outfitted with the best gear I could buy.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Bucket Joneses posted:

What happened to Hanshew? I imagine by now they've put stoppers on the ledges and the steps.

Which is a real shame because that spot was the loving jam back in the day. Great spot to learn and even greater spot to watch the really good skaters go huge off the second and third ledges.

yeah, stoppers and they call the cops or they have security or something. sucks. I skated that place from 7th grade, when I was actually going to Hanshew, all the way till the shut her down. It's been awhile since she's been shut down. Had a lot of good times at that spot.

I think that's what I miss most about skating now-a-days. I don't have a place to just linger. Skate parks are too busy and small and kind of out of the way. I just want to shred in mostly private so I can suck all by myself.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

In Anchorage the best thing you can do is buy a place with a smooth driveway. I lived off of Abbott in South Anchorage and had what was basically a three-lane road of asphalt that was 20 yards long.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

ah, memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLBTYLg_qE

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Minimaul posted:

ah, memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLBTYLg_qE

David Spade rips!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPhpIpmWus

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

God I miss the 80's, vert was king and Hosoi was the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8fXhWBMlU

Did anyone else ride Slimeballs besides me? And I remember when Bullet 66's came out, it felt like my speed almost doubled riding bowls.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

At one park near me there are stencils painted on the coping that just says DO NOT STAND HERE

That's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder if it actually helps though?

Minimaul posted:

What ever happened to the fear of getting beat up for being at the park and getting in peoples ways, or not being good enough? Kids these days...

When I was coming up there were no parks around our flat suburbia. Just launch ramps in the road and halfs in people's backyards so you were usually skating on something someone else built and you would have to play by the rules if you wanted in. With all the public facilities now kids don't seem to have to go through that experience of having to be appreciative towards those who actually took the time to build stuff to skate.

This reminds that when I was young the kids that could drive would skip school and steal our launch ramps while we were at school.

leica posted:

God I miss the 80's, vert was king and Hosoi was the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8fXhWBMlU

Did anyone else ride Slimeballs besides me? And I remember when Bullet 66's came out, it felt like my speed almost doubled riding bowls.

It's good to see Hosoi still going at even though he has apparently traded meth for Jesus. All these old dudes still skating is pretty motivating.

I had a few pairs of slime balls and I have been toying with the idea of trying to buy some old ones to put on a Kendall reissue deck I have. The first pair I had came on my first real skate board setup that I bought used. The deck was a Kevin Staab Mad Scientist and I was so stoked to have it. I had been skating a Nash Skate or Die that I had gotten my mom to buy me from Belks.

edit: I wish I could find a pic of the Skate or Die. Here is an Executioner though. I would wager that more knees touched these things than feet.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 25, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

That's actually a pretty good idea. I wonder if it actually helps though?

It definitely helps with regards to photographers and onlookers who stop by when they see something going on. It's a public park down by the stadiums so that happens occasionally.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

It definitely helps with regards to photographers and onlookers who stop by when they see something going on. It's a public park down by the stadiums so that happens occasionally.

Ah I see. My beef is with the young skaters who can't seem to keep their boards off the lip while people are skating. I try to be nice about it and let them know it's not cool. Some are cooperative but others just keep being morons. I try not to let it get on my nerves that much as I don't want to be the old guy threatening little children at the park.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

My first board had Slimeballs, loved them.

Found an awesome DIY spot on my lunch break yesterday, it has two quarters right now. Looking forward to adding a ledge sometime next weekend.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I just posted this in the Skate2 thread, I've skimmed this one and haven't seen it mentioned here. Apologies if someone got to it already:

They finally started putting out the Brian Anderson Epicly Later'd episodes and they're really good. Skateboarding messageboards have been rife with rumours that he's gonna come out in one of the upcoming ones and lots of teenage boys are freaking out that their favourite skater might actually be a 'human being'.

Regardless of the drama, they're worth a watch because BA is completely awesome. Part 2, talking about him getting on the Toy Machine team, is especially good. Make sure to watch through the credits for Frank Gerwer's funny little impression of the front-blunt down hubba hideout.

part 1: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/epicly-later-d-season-two/brian-anderson-part-1-of-5
part 2: http://www.vbs.tv/watch/epicly-later-d-season-two/brian-anderson-part-2-of-5

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I'm flying to San Diego on Sunday evening, and I'd love to take my longboard. I already have two checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item, however. I'm willing to pay a fee, but I want to make sure it doesn't get broken or lost. What's the best way to do this? I won't be able to get back down there for years so I'd like to do a little skating along the ocean and stuff. What's the best way to get it on and off the plane? Strap it to my luggage or what? If it's not possible I would be disappointed. :(

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RobotEmpire posted:

I'm flying to San Diego on Sunday evening, and I'd love to take my longboard. I already have two checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item, however. I'm willing to pay a fee, but I want to make sure it doesn't get broken or lost. What's the best way to do this? I won't be able to get back down there for years so I'd like to do a little skating along the ocean and stuff. What's the best way to get it on and off the plane? Strap it to my luggage or what? If it's not possible I would be disappointed. :(

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/longboarding-resources-q/107303-all-those-traveling-longboards.html

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

Brilliant, thanks. I might disassemble and pack wheels/trucks and carryon the deck.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

RobotEmpire posted:

Brilliant, thanks. I might disassemble and pack wheels/trucks and carryon the deck.

I have a 55" board, I'm still trying to think how I'm going to take it on vacation with me. Flying from Italy to Greece probably.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Has anyone else seen the Loaded Tan Tein? I've been trying to decide on a longboard and think it's the one for me. I loved my friend's Dervish, but wanted a kicktail of some sort. Next thing I know, Loaded drops this beauty:

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Well it was beautiful outside today. Went to my local ghetto park for a little solo action and finished up at my favorite ledge and stair sets. I'm so happy it's spring again. I hope you're all enjoying the weather!

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Shania Twain posted:

Well it was beautiful outside today. Went to my local ghetto park for a little solo action and finished up at my favorite ledge and stair sets. I'm so happy it's spring again. I hope you're all enjoying the weather!

Aye the sun was out today but unfortunately the wind was up to crazy speeds. The joys of living in a country where you're never more than roughly 60 miles from an atlantic coastline (Scotland).

Forecast for rain all next week too! :|

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I had kind of a bummer day today. I woke up late and got caught up with some work-related poo poo, and didn't wind up able to get my deck taped and kitted out like I'd intended. I was looking forward to having a longboard AND a... wait, what do you call the normal boards?

Mincher
May 12, 2008

RobotEmpire posted:

I had kind of a bummer day today. I woke up late and got caught up with some work-related poo poo, and didn't wind up able to get my deck taped and kitted out like I'd intended. I was looking forward to having a longboard AND a... wait, what do you call the normal boards?

A skateboard? :)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

RobotEmpire posted:

Useful?

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I finally found my board again and went out two days ago. It was pretty rad, our local park blows though, so I spent most of the time skating the actual walking area of the park. Almost managed to stall this big rear end rock.

My board bit me a few times and my friend joked that it was mad because I left it alone for 3 years. But today when I got out of the shower I had this black poo poo right below my knee and where my board hit. I thought it was tar or something so I went to pull it off expecting a lot of pain and leg hair rippage. But, much to my surprise (and horror) it came off easily and revealed a 5-9 centimeter hole in my leg. Apparently it was skin/muscle? I had no idea my body could do that.

Anyway, I hope you all ate dinner already and I forgot how painful boarding can be.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are you saying that your skateboard gave you a staph infection?

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Yeah, get that poo poo checked out. Unexpected holes in body parts are never a good thing.

Today I worked on improving my overall stance and balance. I'm trying to shake the really bad habit of popping & landing tricks on the balls of my feet.

Landing feet flat, knees bent, shoulders over the board has helped loads!

Snow and gales all this week so I think I'm off to The Factory for a roll around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

XIII posted:

Has anyone else seen the Loaded Tan Tein? I've been trying to decide on a longboard and think it's the one for me. I loved my friend's Dervish, but wanted a kicktail of some sort. Next thing I know, Loaded drops this beauty:

If you want a decent kicktail I'd get the Loaded Fish.

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007

Mincher posted:

Yeah, get that poo poo checked out. Unexpected holes in body parts are never a good thing.

I looked it over again just now and it's not as much a hole as I first expected but more of a deep gash. I'm guessing it was when I hosed up a really bad/hard ollie and it caught me in the same place. I still remember when it was. I have it covered now, if it isn't better in a by Monday I'll probably get it checked out, but I've had worse. The skin and poo poo I pulled off just really freaked me out. So I guess no skating for me for a week or so :(

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

leica posted:

If you want a decent kicktail I'd get the Loaded Fish.

My friend has the Ceviche, it's a loving blast to ride.

I love my Dervish, don't really feel like I need a kicktail for the type of longboard riding I do... which is mostly just mellow carving with the occasional (sketchy) slides.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

mix.lunar posted:

I looked it over again just now and it's not as much a hole as I first expected but more of a deep gash. I'm guessing it was when I hosed up a really bad/hard ollie and it caught me in the same place. I still remember when it was. I have it covered now, if it isn't better in a by Monday I'll probably get it checked out, but I've had worse. The skin and poo poo I pulled off just really freaked me out. So I guess no skating for me for a week or so :(

Comes with the territory, my shins are ugly as sin.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

donJonSwan posted:

My friend has the Ceviche, it's a loving blast to ride.

I love my Dervish, don't really feel like I need a kicktail for the type of longboard riding I do... which is mostly just mellow carving with the occasional (sketchy) slides.

Totally forgot about the Ceviche, it's basically a revamped version of the Fish I think, with a real tail instead of a riser. Whenever I can afford it, it's going to be my next board. drat they get expensive.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

mix.lunar posted:

Let it scab over then throw some neosporin on it and cover it up.

leica posted:

Totally forgot about the Ceviche, it's basically a revamped version of the Fish I think, with a real tail instead of a riser. Whenever I can afford it, it's going to be my next board. drat they get expensive.
Loaded is very proud of their stuff.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
I'm not very good.

I'm improving but drat do I suck! One thing that constantly bothers me is the everyday manual. I understand the concept, the way your weight should be and controlling the board but man, I just end up flapping around like a guy caught in his own little loving tornado.

Is it just a trial/error, do it 'til you can, sort of thing or is there something i'm missing that lets everyone else hold their poise whilst I spaz out?

God drat...

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

It's all trial and error and learning what works best for you. If you spaz out then you spaz out. Over time you'll get it down just keep on trying. Once you get the balance aspect of it worked out then you can work on your style.

I remember when I first really truly learned to nose manual. It was such a good feeling: getting locked into place and holding it in place and going for a decent distance. nose grinds are super fun like that too. Once you 'feel it', you'll have it down good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Honestly, nose manuals were easier for me to learn than regular manuals. I'm not certain why this is but you might give those a go if you're having trouble just doing manuals.