Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Brownie posted:

Where do I start with Ennio Morricone? The guy has so much stuff out I don't really know what to do. Even his list of compilations is like 3 pages long.

I'm most interested in the "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" type stuff, and his songs in Inglorious Bastards really impressed me as well.

So his western music I guess, and any other stuff if its really amazing. Hopefully that's not too general.

Not quite what you're asking for, but the soundtrack he did for The Thing perfectly covers symphonic horror music for me. Evocative themes and enough stylistic shifts that it doesn't become boring.

Here's a couple of tracks off of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY7SAwNBnio -Humanity (part 2)
Slow minor chords with a heartbeat pulse that flips into a frantic high organ version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpuRm7UWtMU -Despair
Full orchestra playing around with several levels of tension and emotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I'm pretty sure all his music from Basterds is just from other movies. That's how it seems to be with most Tarantino.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Brownie posted:

Where do I start with Ennio Morricone? The guy has so much stuff out I don't really know what to do. Even his list of compilations is like 3 pages long.

I'm most interested in the "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" type stuff, and his songs in Inglorious Bastards really impressed me as well.

So his western music I guess, and any other stuff if its really amazing. Hopefully that's not too general.
I have the soundtracks to both The Big Gundown and Once Upon A Time In The West as well GoodBadUgly and love them all equally

Tortilla Tequila
Nov 4, 2009

7734 posted:

Imaginations from the Other Side, is in my opinion, a tie with Nightfall as far as their best album. Definitely check it out

Somewhere Far Beyond and Tales from the Twilight World are both excellent early albums that really show what the band has become. Though the production on the earlier stuff is a bit lacking.

I have not listened to the first two BG albums, Battalions of Fear and Follow the blind.

I would recommend also getting the incredibly good live album from 2003, as it covers some of their earlier songs. Also the last recorded performance of their long time drummer.

The newest album A Twist in the Myth is a bit on the... over produced side, but still has some excellent stuff on it.

Follow the Blind is definitely worth a listen if you're already familiar with Blind Guardian. At the very least, check out the track Valhalla. It's on the live album as well.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Where do I start with The Beach Boys? Where do I stop?

Also I only have Elton Johns Rocket Man compilation but I'd like to have more - what should I get.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Where to start depends largely on how much you're into the early rock sound the band did on their first albums. Honestly, to me, their early albums are full of filler, so a one-two combo of Sounds of Summer and The Warmth of the Sun should cover basically everything worthwhile from those first albums. Otherwise, the first Beach Boys album that's front-to-back brilliant is Today!.

If you start from Today!, basically every album the band released from there to Holland is worth listening to. The dividing line is 15 Big Ones, which is a huge pile of poo poo. After that album, basically the only things worth listening to are Love You (though that opinion is contested since it's a rather bizarre album) and any song written by Dennis Wilson (which is not contested since Dennis Wilson rules).

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Also I only have Elton Johns Rocket Man compilation but I'd like to have more - what should I get.

Definitely get Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. After that, you should probably check out Madman Across the Water.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Where do I start with Crystal Method? I heard a couple of their songs on Pandora and I liked it but couldn't really catch any names since I was driving.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Metroixer posted:

Where do I start with Crystal Method? I heard a couple of their songs on Pandora and I liked it but couldn't really catch any names since I was driving.

The essential is Vegas, it has most of their classic hits on it. If you like that one, go ahead and get Tweekend and Legion of Boom. Their most recent one, Divided By Night is take-or-leave imo but it was pretty popular still I think.

Wodka
Nov 11, 2007

I was of three minds,
Like a tree
In which there are three blackbirds.
What are the definitive Johnny Cash albums? Where do I begin with the man in black??

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Wodka posted:

What are the definitive Johnny Cash albums? Where do I begin with the man in black??

The definitive Cash album is 'At Folsom Prison', however 'Johnny Cash with His Hot and Blue Guitar', 'Sings the Songs That Made Him Famous', and 'Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash' are all fairly essential albums that contain his most famous singles. Cash isn't any sort of specialty of mine, so other people might have insight to which of his post-Sun Records era albums are good.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Ignore everything the other guy said until you start with Pet Sounds. If you aren't in love by the end of the first track you have no soul.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

wlokos posted:

Ignore everything the other guy said until you start with Pet Sounds. If you aren't in love by the end of the first track you have no soul.

Quoting for truth. Start with Pet Sounds, don't get anything chronologically after Surf's Up. You really can't go far wrong with anything made before then.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Where should I begin with Tom Waits? I liked the song "Chocolate Jesus" and an interview I saw with him, so I thought I'd check him out, but the man has more albums than I have dollars. What album(s) should I start with?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Wampa Stompa posted:

Where should I begin with Tom Waits? I liked the song "Chocolate Jesus" and an interview I saw with him, so I thought I'd check him out, but the man has more albums than I have dollars. What album(s) should I start with?

The two most commonly recommended entry-points are Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs (which would be my choice).

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Quoting for truth. Start with Pet Sounds, don't get anything chronologically after Surf's Up. You really can't go far wrong with anything made before then.

See I completely disagree with this. If nothing else, I think Holland is a fantastic album and I consider it to be their last truly classic album (well okay, I like Love You too, but I realize that one's contentious).

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.

TheNintenGenius posted:

See I completely disagree with this. If nothing else, I think Holland is a fantastic album and I consider it to be their last truly classic album (well okay, I like Love You too, but I realize that one's contentious).

Hrm, Holland does have some interesting stuff going on and I do give it the odd listen from time to time but i'm glad it wasn't one of the first Beach Boys albums I bought. It definately takes a bit more getting used to than, say, Today! or Sunflower.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Where do I start with Tegan and Sara?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Moeru posted:

Where do I start with Tegan and Sara?

I think So Jealous is excellent and none of the other albums are quite as good, but that's just me. I feel like they each have a few good songs, but as whole albums they aren't quite as strong as So Jealous.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Wampa Stompa posted:

Rain Dogs, but don't expect to love it right away.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

The Duck of Death posted:

Rain Dogs, but don't expect to love it right away.

This is a good note because I don't know about everyone else but it took me awhile to really get into Rain Dogs.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Where do I start with Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares? I know I start with drukqs for Aphex Twin, but are there any other essential albums? No clue on Venetian Snares.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

SMP posted:

Where do I start with Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares? I know I start with drukqs for Aphex Twin, but are there any other essential albums? No clue on Venetian Snares.

For Aphex I might suggest Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 and the Richard D James album. There are amazing tracks on every single album he's put out, though.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.

SMP posted:

Depends on what kind of music you want out of Aphex, but I'd go with Selected Ambient Works 85-92, the On EP, the Donkey Rhubarb EP, and the RDJ album. Venetian Snares I am less familiar with but I would probably recommend Rossz csillag alatt született and Winnipeg Is a Frozen Shithole.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

insomne posted:

Rossz csillag alatt született

loving brilliant album. You also need the sequel, My Downfall.

Feb 8, 2008
What are the essential Bathory albums? Known about them forever, but have never got around to listen to them. Oddly enough Quorthon died on my birthday.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

7734 posted:

What are the essential Bathory albums? Known about them forever, but have never got around to listen to them. Oddly enough Quorthon died on my birthday.

Blood Fire Death is definitely essential. People like the one before that as well.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

7734 posted:

Do the self titled as well as the ones above. :)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been meaning to get into Sleater-Kinney for about 5 years now but never remember. Tell me where to start.

Pole of Mars
Aug 19, 2008

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom
Where should I start with Erykah Badu? I've only listened to some of New Amerikah.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

I've been meaning to get into Sleater-Kinney for about 5 years now but never remember. Tell me where to start.
A lot of people love the Woods but it's probably the biggest departure (and the only one I don't like). I think you're better choosing whichever of the rest of their material.

My favorites starting with the angriest and going poppier,
Call The Doctor -> Dig Me Out -> The Hot Rock -> All Hands on the Bad One

One Beat is a little different too but not much. Really, just buy the cheapest one, you'll be fine.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Can anyone give me advice on where to start with The Mekons?

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fear and Whisky is the best one still in print, but if you can get Rock n' Roll start with that.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My first one was "Curse of the Mekons" and is still my favorite (and I almost have their entire discography). It's the most diverse, though maybe not the best starting point considering the spot in their career. If you want to go more country, Fear and Whiskey is good, then I like OOOH a lot. On the rock side I think Retreat from Memphis is more solid than Rock & Roll.

SMP
May 5, 2009

What albums from The Kinks are worth listening to?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SMP posted:

A lot of them, but The Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society is an incredible album.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Where do I start with Death in June?

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Since you've all been so helpful so far, here are three more bands I really need to get into, all kind of in the same vein. Each has a pretty massive discography. Where should I begin?

Boris
The Melvins
Sunn O)))

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SMP posted:

I haven't given a fair number of their albums a listen myself, but at the very least I'd say to listen to the albums they produced from Something Else by The Kinks up to Muswell Hillbillies. As stated, Village Green Preservation Society would be the best starting point, though I think my favorites from that period would be either Arthur (or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) or Muswell Hillbillies.

-

Anyway, I figure I might as well ask this thread for advice on a couple artists. Neither of these is a case of "where do I start?" as much as "where do I go from here?", though.

First, I've been meaning to ask for quite a while, but where do I go with Kate Bush? I have Hounds of Love and absolutely love that album to death, but I have no idea where to go from there.

Second, since I've listened to almost every Elvis Costello album up to Blood and Chocolate (the exceptions being Almost Blue, Punch the Clock, and Goodbye Cruel World), I wanted to know which Costello albums (if any) are worthwhile starting with Spike onward. Anything interesting to say about the Costello albums I skipped would be interesting to read as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Wampa Stompa posted:

Since you've all been so helpful so far, here are three more bands I really need to get into, all kind of in the same vein. Each has a pretty massive discography. Where should I begin?

Boris
The Melvins
Sunn O)))

Boris: Well, you've sort of got two different sounding bands here, boris and BORIS (their distinction). boris is the more wierdo white noise, drone stuff, while BORIS is all ROCK THE gently caress OUT HELL YEAH. Akuma No Uta is mostly BORIS but has a bit of boris as well, so I'd suggest starting there.

Sunn 0))): the latest, Monoliths and Dimensions is really great, really crushing - basically out-Sunns all other Sunn stuff. If you're coming into them via the various black metal connections, Black One might be worth checking out too.