Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'm looking for a do-what-you-want, free-roaming kind of action/RPG game. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and I've played all the Fallout games to death. I've played Oblivion a bit, but I didn't really like it, and I've gone through just about every major BioWare release (including Baldur's Gate), as well as The Witcher. If you could recommend me a game that is like any of the ones I mentioned--preferably one that I can sink quite a few hours into--that'd be great. Character customization is also a plus.

Iif you want an open, free roaming action (shooter) game, try Far Cry 2. There are no RPG elements to it, but I still found it similar to STALKER games. For me, it's basically an exploration game with some shooting in it. Looks amazing, and runs decent on any newer computer really.

I've sunk dozens of hours into that game, just walking around exploring and blowing poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OverseasQueue
May 26, 2008

forbiddendelirium posted:

Hmm... I can't think of anything.. maybe try reading a book. Like Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Might as well... bought it on my Kindle. Thank you, Sir.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I am looking for an old fashioned turn-based JRPG with a rewarding combat system. I want to be challenged and forced to use a wide range of abilities instead of just picking Attack or my strongest spell each round. Hopefully the rest of the game is good too. Examples: Mother 3, Dragon Quest 8.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I am looking for an old fashioned turn-based JRPG with a rewarding combat system. I want to be challenged and forced to use a wide range of abilities instead of just picking Attack or my strongest spell each round. Hopefully the rest of the game is good too. Examples: Mother 3, Dragon Quest 8.

If you haven't played Baten Kaitos for Gamecube, that could be right up your alley. The overall structure of the game is pure classic JRPG, and the battle system is creative, fun, and allows for a lot of customization. It's pretty genuinely challenging overall, but the learning curve isn't steep—don't get scared away from the "card game" aspect of it. Items transform over time (milk becomes yogurt, then cheese, then rotten food) and you can use items together in battle to create new ones—it's all rather weird, but I thought it worked well. There are also some really delightfully bizarre bits (like the entirety of Mira, the continent of illusion) that'll appeal to you if you're a fan of Mother.

I wouldn't recommend Baten Kaitos: Origins as highly as they drastically changed the battle system, and it feels too shallow, fast-paced, and chaotic.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 20, 2010

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I've not played a JRPG before and I think I'd like to, but I don't have a console. Can anyone recommend a JRPG I can play on my PC that is rad as all get out? I don't mind outdated graphics but I do have a burning hatred for sticky/clunky/janky/unresponsive interfaces and controls.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
There aren't really many PC JRPGs that make it out of Japan. You might want to look into the Ys series if you want something more action-oriented, as some of the more recent entries in that series have unofficial translation patches. I watched a Let's Play of Ys: The Oath in Felghana a while back, and it looked excellent.

SCF is a goon who made two reputedly excellent JRPG-styled PC RPGs: Exit Fate and Last Scenario. Exit Fate in particular looks like an unofficial entry in the Suikoden series, and I'm going to give it a try when I have time.

Yume Nikki is a Japanese game made using RPG Maker, but it's more an exploration-oriented adventure game than a true RPG. It's a little too sparse (there aren't nearly enough opportunities to interact with the environment), but it's a great game if you like wandering around, and it can be pretty unsettling at times.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 21, 2010

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007
I'm looking for a game that has challenge missions similar to the VR missions that were included in Metal Gear:Solid, or Spec Ops mode in CoD:MW2. I'd prefer a first person or third person action game that isn't a puzzler or platformer (like N or something along those lines). Anyone have a suggestion?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
I have less than three weeks to increase my knowledge about baseball and American football to a level where my participation in sports-related conversations will be more complex than "I don't give a poo poo about sports," and "I have no idea who/what you are talking about," which is where I'm at right now. I figure the best way for me to get some idea of what is going on is to play video games.

So, what would be the best games for me to play in order to increase my knowledge of sports? Baseball knowledge is more urgent, but I will need to be able to talk about football eventually, as well. Ideally, I'm looking for something on PS3 or Xbox 360, although my friend who is in the same situation as me has a Wii, so that could work, too.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Enigmatic Cardboard posted:

I'm looking for a do-what-you-want, free-roaming kind of action/RPG game. I'm a big fan of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and I've played all the Fallout games to death. I've played Oblivion a bit, but I didn't really like it, and I've gone through just about every major BioWare release (including Baldur's Gate), as well as The Witcher. If you could recommend me a game that is like any of the ones I mentioned--preferably one that I can sink quite a few hours into--that'd be great. Character customization is also a plus.

Freelancer. It's a "space trading and combat simulation video game" It has a main plot but you can do it at your own pace and I'm pretty sure the entire world is open right off the bat. You can do pretty much whatever you want and the combat is kinda arcadey, for a lack of a better wordIt's really fast paced. You can buy new ships anywhere from fighters to cargo ships and customize their weapons. I believe there's a mod to let you have huge battleships too.

Seashell Salesman posted:

I've not played a JRPG before and I think I'd like to, but I don't have a console. Can anyone recommend a JRPG I can play on my PC that is rad as all get out? I don't mind outdated graphics but I do have a burning hatred for sticky/clunky/janky/unresponsive interfaces and controls.

Last Remnant is for the PC, but I hear its really grindy so it might not be the best. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are also for the PC but they are really old, if thats a no no.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 22, 2010

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Eyeball posted:

I have less than three weeks to increase my knowledge about baseball and American football to a level where my participation in sports-related conversations will be more complex than "I don't give a poo poo about sports," and "I have no idea who/what you are talking about," which is where I'm at right now. I figure the best way for me to get some idea of what is going on is to play video games.

So, what would be the best games for me to play in order to increase my knowledge of sports? Baseball knowledge is more urgent, but I will need to be able to talk about football eventually, as well. Ideally, I'm looking for something on PS3 or Xbox 360, although my friend who is in the same situation as me has a Wii, so that could work, too.

Pretty much any baseball or football game will give you a basic understanding of the sport in question. If you already understand positions and the simplistic side of strategy you might look into MLB Front Office Manager or any Football game that allows you to create fantasy teams and draft players. If you don't understand the scoring you can just read about that poo poo on Wikipedia.

If you would rather play an actual sports game to gain a better understanding I think you'd be safe with anything that isn't from the Street or Backyard series. I always enjoyed the 2K games and I think they're usually cheaper than their EA counterparts. There is no NFL game by 2K games since EA got an exclusive NFL license.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Demicol posted:

Last Remnant is for the PC, but I hear its really grindy so it might not be the best. Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are also for the PC but they are really old, if thats a no no.

Do not play this, that is all I have to say about it. It's just plain old boring and uninspired in every way.

Your only real option for PC JRPGs is to download an emulator.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008

Demicol posted:

Freelancer

If that's not hardcore enough for you, there's also X3:Terran Conflict, the God-Emperor of space combat sims. It's a true sandbox game in that there is virtually no plot and you really need to make one up yourself. You want to set up a trade empire with hundreds of space stations throughout the galaxy? OK, do it. It might take a while, depending on your skill, but you can. Want to embark on a genocidal rage on a particular race. That's cool as well. It's not nearly as arcady as Freelancer, but I think it's more rewarding. It's kinda difficult to get started, but the community here on SA is consistently active and can help you. It runs OK unmodded, but like STALKER, there's lots of options to improve the experience if you want.

Can anyone recommend me a game that plays like a single player Settlers of Catan?

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

I'm looking for more local co-op games to play with the girlfriend. We have a backwards-compatible PS3, so anything PS2/PS3 would be fine. Here's a list of games we worked through/attempted and her general reactions, in no particular order:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2 (loved it)
Champions of Norrath (didn't care for it)
Cookies and Cream (loved it, although playing it made us hate each other)
Army of Two (meh)
Lego... whatever (didn't care for it)
Rock Band (we still play this)
Pixeljunk Monsters (too intimidated to play more than a few minutes)
Pixeljunk Shooter (good, but thought it was too short [surprise])
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (didn't care for it)
Little Big Planet (loved it)

Games I'm considering:

Borderlands (still an expensive gamble)
Dark Kingdom (even though it's not supposed to be very good)
Resistance 1
Resident Evil 5 (probably not: she'd probably panic through the whole thing and give up after one session)

I've looked through the list of local co-op PS3 games, but a lot of them have poor reviews and I'd like to hear people's experiences with them (Kane & Lynch, Haze, etc).

If it helps, games she enjoyed playing solo include Fallout 3, Oblivion (both in small amounts, as she tends to give up when she can't decide what to do), Katamari, and LocoRoco, Shadow of the Colossus, Zelda series, etc. In that vein, I'll probably pick up Okami at some point.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So I might be getting together with some friends this week to have a LAN party. Can anyone recommend some easy to setup, easy to get into games to play? This is for the PC, of course. We've already considered Borderlands, Killing Floor, Warcraft III custom maps, Diablo II.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

dyzzy posted:

So I might be getting together with some friends this week to have a LAN party. Can anyone recommend some easy to setup, easy to get into games to play? This is for the PC, of course. We've already considered Borderlands, Killing Floor, Warcraft III custom maps, Diablo II.

Depending on how many people there are, the first two Call of Duty games are good choices. CoD2 is the more balanced (and better looking) of the two, and I've never seen any problems getting it up and running on LAN. CoD2 is still my favorite of the series, and for quick LAN play, I think it's easier to get into than the Modern Warfare iterations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The Raglay posted:

I'm looking for more local co-op games to play with the girlfriend.

Kane & Lynch is certainly interesting, but I wouldn't call it a really fun game.

There is PixelJunk Eden, which can handle up to three players. She might find that a little repetitive, though the levels have a good amount of variety between them.

If you have a Wii, then Boom Blox is also pretty great. Oh, and Super Mario Bros Wii, thouuuugh that can inspire much rage at times. No Wii, I guess.

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Kane & Lynch is certainly interesting, but I wouldn't call it a really fun game.

There is PixelJunk Eden, which can handle up to three players. She might find that a little repetitive, though the levels have a good amount of variety between them.

If you have a Wii, then Boom Blox is also pretty great. Oh, and Super Mario Bros Wii, thouuuugh that can inspire much rage at times. No Wii, I guess.

Actually forgot to mention that. We played about halfway through Eden, and we do plan to finish it eventually. Thanks though.

And yes, we will probably get a Wii before years end, although I'm not sure what that will solve. We played the new Mario Bros at a friend's place, and she got frustrated pretty quickly.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I need an RTS were i can play against the AI, Sci-fi or Fantasy doesnt matter! Also it would be a plus if it got unit veterancy.

Please do not recomend the following games:

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GyverMac posted:

I need an RTS were i can play against the AI, Sci-fi or Fantasy doesnt matter! Also it would be a plus if it got unit veterancy.

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom

Age of Mythology

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

AI War is all about fighting the computer. No unit experience mechanics, but it's more about making and directing huge swarms of ships anyways.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

GyverMac posted:

Any CnC game.
Warcraft 1, 2 or 3
Spring, TA or SupCom

Homeworld 1&2

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

StickySweater posted:

Can anyone recommend me a game that plays like a single player Settlers of Catan?

How about Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (EU/US)? It's very fun, with robust AI, and the expansion adds new stuff and multiplayer to boot if you want. Never played Settlers of Catan, but this seems like a similar, more in-depth kind of game. It's more of a city-builder than a grand strategy, but has lots of resource management and strategic planning against fairly robust AI opponents who try to out-colonize you and sometimes invade you. Alternately, the Civ offshoot Colonization series might be similar, but it's not quite the same thing either.

Also apparently they're working on a Facebook port.

VVV Hex board game adaptation is a pretty niche genre in computer gaming. There's still going to be games like it, at least in spirit.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 24, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nibbles the Shark posted:

How about Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery (EU/US)? It's very fun, with robust AI, and the expansion adds new stuff and multiplayer to boot if you want. Never played Settlers of Catan, but this seems like a similar, more in-depth kind of game. It's more of a city-builder than a grand strategy, but has lots of resource management and strategic planning against fairly robust AI opponents who try to out-colonize you and sometimes invade you. Alternately, the Civ offshoot Colonization series might be similar, but it's not quite the same thing either.

Also apparently they're working on a Facebook port.

While those games are great, they are absolutely nothing like Settlers of Catan. Just sayin'.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
I just had the very great pleasure of actually finishing Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It's a really excellent action RPG dungeon crawler with an oldschool aesthetic (fire caves, ice mountains!) but a modern fluid beat-em-up gameplay style. The bosses are also hard as balls, you have to really figure out what their patterns are before you have a chance of killing them, which is pretty refreshing compared to the more accessible games of today. I honestly really recommend it to anyone, it's a great loving game, and it's an old PC game so you don't really have an excuse not to. Anyway now I have an appetite for classic action RPGs. What are some other great ones in this vein? Some of my other favorites include the entire Soul Blazer series (especially Terranigma, but I like them all), Alundra, Okami, Secret of Mana, Fable, the Kingdom Hearts games (almost too anime, but the combat is fun enough I don't care), and I'm sure there's more that I can't think of. Hack and slash games are preferable over stuff like Mass Effect 2. Dungeon puzzles are always a plus, but not a necessity. I can only play PC games and stuff that's emulatable on one, so if you're gonna recommend a console game, nothing much more advanced than the PS2 era (and even that really strains my laptop).

I recently got Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the original PSX because someone recommended it to me as a good action rpg, hopefully it delivers.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 24, 2010

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

I just had the very great pleasure of actually finishing Ys: The Oath in Felghana. It's a really excellent action RPG dungeon crawler with an oldschool aesthetic (fire caves, ice mountains!) but a modern fluid beat-em-up gameplay style. The bosses are also hard as balls, you have to really figure out what their patterns are before you have a chance of killing them, which is pretty refreshing compared to the more accessible games of today. I honestly really recommend it to anyone, it's a great loving game, and it's an old PC game so you don't really have an excuse not to. Anyway now I have an appetite for classic action RPGs. What are some other great ones in this vein? Some of my other favorites include the entire Soul Blazer series (especially Terranigma, but I like them all), Alundra, Okami, Secret of Mana, Fable, the Kingdom Hearts games (almost too anime, but the combat is fun enough I don't care), and I'm sure there's more that I can't think of. Hack and slash games are preferable over stuff like Mass Effect 2. Dungeon puzzles are always a plus, but not a necessity. I can only play PC games and stuff that's emulatable on one, so if you're gonna recommend a console game, nothing much more advanced than the PS2 era (and even that really strains my laptop).

I recently got Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the original PSX because someone recommended it to me as a good action rpg, hopefully it delivers.

If you can get ahold of a copy, you'd probably really enjoy Ys Origin. I believe it was released in 2006. There was never an English release as far as I know, but there are patches available. I barreled through it without a patch and managed to do just fine, though I'm sure I missed a few things.

It's probably prohibitively expensive at this point, but it's a drat fun game.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I'm looking for good, simple brawlers; something I can just get my rage on with and slaughter dozens of baddies. Here's a short list of games I've played that fit into the kind of stuff I'm interested in:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

I'm looking for both new and old, from 16-bit to the modern era, all suggestions welcome. I'm not so interested in arcade-specific titles because MAME is a pain in the arse or more complex brawlers like DMC and Viewtiful Joe.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Frankosity posted:

I'm looking for good, simple brawlers; something I can just get my rage on with and slaughter dozens of baddies. Here's a short list of games I've played that fit into the kind of stuff I'm interested in:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

I'm looking for both new and old, from 16-bit to the modern era, all suggestions welcome. I'm not so interested in arcade-specific titles because MAME is a pain in the arse or more complex brawlers like DMC and Viewtiful Joe.

It's not like those other games, but when I was having a bad day I used to load up Syndicate and just run around and kill everything and everyone. There's no penalty for doing so. It was very therapeutic.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Frankosity posted:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

Hulk Ultimate Destruction for the PS2 was an earlier version of Prototype basically. It's a lot of fun running around as the hulk and just destroying everything.

The Dynasty Warriors series isn't everyones cup of tea, but it's all about killing huge swarms of enemies. Just non stop killing.

I don't know if you think it's too complex or something, but you have God of war and God Hand up there so I don't know why you'd think they were, but both Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta are fantastic action/beat 'em ups.

Shinobi for the PS2 is pretty good as well, kind of reminds me of a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Gungrave.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Bluetooth human being posted:

Hulk Ultimate Destruction for the PS2 was an earlier version of Prototype basically. It's a lot of fun running around as the hulk and just destroying everything.

The Dynasty Warriors series isn't everyones cup of tea, but it's all about killing huge swarms of enemies. Just non stop killing.

I don't know if you think it's too complex or something, but you have God of war and God Hand up there so I don't know why you'd think they were, but both Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta are fantastic action/beat 'em ups.

Shinobi for the PS2 is pretty good as well, kind of reminds me of a cross between Ninja Gaiden and Gungrave.

I was thinking of getting into Dynasty Warriors, actually, because I recently got Kingdon Under Fire: Crusaders, which I assume is relatively similar in playstyle. Which is generally considered the best entries in the series?

I'm a big Ninja Gaiden fan, and I've been considering picking up Shinobi as well, although the constant health drain kind of intimidates me. I have yet to play Bayonetta but it's definitely on my to-buy list at some point.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Greetings folk. Anyone know of any turn based strategy games that are in the style of the Advance Wars series, in terms of gameplay? I'm specifically looking for that slightly chess-esque vibe Advance Wars has, where you can really sit down and "hmmmmmmmmmm" it up. I swear I got through about six chewed styluses on my DS Lite with those games. Love 'em.

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.

Frankosity posted:

I was thinking of getting into Dynasty Warriors, actually, because I recently got Kingdon Under Fire: Crusaders, which I assume is relatively similar in playstyle. Which is generally considered the best entries in the series?

I'm a big Ninja Gaiden fan, and I've been considering picking up Shinobi as well, although the constant health drain kind of intimidates me. I have yet to play Bayonetta but it's definitely on my to-buy list at some point.

I don't know what is considered the "best" Dynasty Warriors, but I thought 5 was the best of the series thus far. You really can't go wrong with 3-5 though, I loved each one and played each one to death. Mass slaughtering groups of enemies, defeating bosses for progressive power-ups and upgrades, overall map tactics and your actions influencing the tide of the battle, it really has everything.

Remember, do not pursue Lu Bu.

Also, I am in the market for a new PC RPG. I just finished Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age: Origins. I've played all the older classics like Planescape, BG1&2, Icewind Dale, and the like. Surely there is some newish RPG (preferably high fantasy, but whatever works) I am totally overlooking, I'd love some suggestions. Tactical RPGs, FPS RPGs, and standard adventure=type RPGs are all great, I'm not picky.

Gazmachine posted:

Greetings folk. Anyone know of any turn based strategy games that are in the style of the Advance Wars series, in terms of gameplay? I'm specifically looking for that slightly chess-esque vibe Advance Wars has, where you can really sit down and "hmmmmmmmmmm" it up. I swear I got through about six chewed styluses on my DS Lite with those games. Love 'em.

Final Fantasy: Tactics DS maybe? If you don't mind fantasy-based tactical games.

Ylide fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2010

The Raglay
Apr 11, 2007

Ylide posted:

Also, I am in the market for a new PC RPG. I just finished Mass Effect 2, and Dragon Age: Origins. I've played all the older classics like Planescape, BG1&2, Icewind Dale, and the like. Surely there is some newish RPG (preferably high fantasy, but whatever works) I am totally overlooking, I'd love some suggestions. Tactical RPGs, FPS RPGs, and standard adventure=type RPGs are all great, I'm not picky.

King's Bounty is a decent tactical RPG. Battles are turn-based on a hexagonal grid, where you throw your five stacks of units against however many baddies, plus you get a pet dragon that can wreak havoc. It's an above-average game and quite lengthy, and I know there are demos available. There was also a standalone expansion released entitled King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Gazmachine posted:

The Fire Emblem series I've heard described as being basically Advance Wars as a strategy RPG, so that might be your best bet.

Final Fantasy Tactics and its ilk are great, but they're decidedly not chesslike—unlike most strategy RPGs, they don't have separate turns for the player and enemy, but each individual unit has a turn based on that unit's speed.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 24, 2010

Ylide
Dec 25, 2004
Was it for this, my life, I sought? Maybe so, maybe not.

The Raglay posted:

King's Bounty is a decent tactical RPG. Battles are turn-based on a hexagonal grid, where you throw your five stacks of units against however many baddies, plus you get a pet dragon that can wreak havoc. It's an above-average game and quite lengthy, and I know there are demos available. There was also a standalone expansion released entitled King's Bounty: Armored Princess.

I played through KB as each class, I'm very familiar. :) I did not know there was an expansion though, will check that out, thanks.

Any other RPG suggestions?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Ylide posted:

I played through KB as each class, I'm very familiar. :) I did not know there was an expansion though, will check that out, thanks.

Any other RPG suggestions?

Two fairly recent RPG games that you might want to check out is Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, and Risen.

Divinity 2 you start off as a dragon slayer, and eventually you turn into a dragon (don't worry, I'm not spoiling anything). The game has lots to do in it, is pretty big, plenty of places to explore and tons of quests. The biggest drawback to it though is that the difficulty is all over the place. You can be running through a dungeon getting the poo poo kicked out of you, abusing AI and line of sight, and then two pulls later you'll start destroying everything because you found an awesome axe. Then ten minutes later you're dying again.

Risen is from the makers of Gothic 1 & 2. You're on an island that's of a fairly decent size, and you'll choose what class you want to be by joining with certain groups. The combat takes some getting used to, but is rewarding. You can take on monsters much stronger then you, but it'll be hard, and will take forever. The difficulty of this game isn't as all over the place as Draconis, but there is a certain spot in the game where it just skyrockets and if you haven't built your character right, will make it really really hard. I had to restart three times because I hosed up my character and just wasn't happy with what was going on. I also suck at games, so you're mileage may vary.

Personally, I enjoyed Risen more, but I think both might be worth checking out to scratch that RPG itch.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Gazmachine posted:

Like Rollersnake mentioned, the Fire Emblem series. It's made by the same developer, and is similar in the turn-based strategy style. It has RPG elements, of equipment and experience and levels and stuff, though. I love them, personally.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for DS or (just) Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones for the GBA would be your hand-held options. There's a GameCube and a Wii game too.

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Frankosity posted:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

The Lord of the Rings games, The Two Towers and Return of the King, on the PS2 are essentially 3D brawlers with skill trees that you unlock as you level. I found them to be enjoyable although they're probably one time plays unless you really like to play the same levels more than once. Gamestop has them listed for $3.99 and $5.99 used which I would say is worth the price. I paid that much to rent em when they first came out.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I'm looking for a 360 game for my girlfriend. She likes The Sims, puzzle games like Luxor, The Movies and other "light-hearted" arcady stuff (I know, the usual stereotype). She won't play Lego games with me, nor Medal of Honor. She's been talking about maybe getting some kind of JRPG, although I suspect she wouldn't like it too heavy on stats and other technical boring crap.

Is there anything for her? I bet someone else has been in the same situation.

freshlenin
Apr 20, 2007

Svartvit posted:

I'm looking for a 360 game for my girlfriend. She likes The Sims, puzzle games like Luxor, The Movies and other "light-hearted" arcady stuff (I know, the usual stereotype). She won't play Lego games with me, nor Medal of Honor. She's been talking about maybe getting some kind of JRPG, although I suspect she wouldn't like it too heavy on stats and other technical boring crap.

Is there anything for her? I bet someone else has been in the same situation.

Has she tried Braid? It's not quite a puzzle game but it's certainly not just a platformer. Lumines is a puzzle game similar to Tetris with different mechanics. Those are the only two I own or have played that I know of for the 360 but I'd bet there are a few others on Live Arcade that might fit the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Frankosity posted:

God Hand
God of War
Golden Axe
Streets of Rage
Gungrave
Prototype
Splatterhouse

Crimson Sea 2 (The first one is a Xbox exclusive, though it has a nice feature where you can talk to an NPC and recap the story of the first game trough cinematics)
You very much choose a mission, if its not something very spefic you just go in and kill tons of monsters. It also has an uprade system where the enemies drop gem-like stuff you can use to upgrade your weapons(I think theres only one or two, but there's two characters).
I picked it up used at Gamestop about 3 years ago without any knowledge beforehand and it was a very entertaining game.