Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
I finally got my display case this weekend and loaded it up with all my painted figs. Sadly, this is the sum total of a year and a half of effort:

And so, I have decided to pledge myself to paint at least an hour a day (or 7 hours a week, whichever comes first) to cut down on my immense backlog. If I keep to this, I will allow myself to bu more models. If not, no new shiny stuff for me. Let's see how that works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ashcans posted:

I haven't experience with those, but you should know that Chapterhouse Studios is about to go into production of their own bioblades - honestly both versions look good, just wanted you to know about the choices!

Not that I play Tyranids or anything, but if I did I'd probably go with Chapterhouse as well; Maxmini's usually pretty awesome at sculpts but theirs look like giant anime swords and need to be converted to fit onto the arms.

I will say though that CH's Lash Whips are lookin' pretty :wtc:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 23, 2010

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
gently caress! I dropped the AoBR Sergeant I was working on and broke off his pointing finger tip.

Now I have to build a little greenstuff fingertip. . . :smithicide:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Hell Diver posted:

gently caress! I dropped the AoBR Sergeant I was working on and broke off his pointing finger tip.

Now I have to build a little greenstuff fingertip. . . :smithicide:

Model a ripper on his base scuttling away with a fresh meal in its mouth. :3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

KingMob posted:

I finally got my display case this weekend and loaded it up with all my painted figs. Sadly, this is the sum total of a year and a half of effort:

This is a pretty sweet setup, but does it only come with three shelves, or is that all you've put in?

bhsman posted:

Not that I play Tyranids or anything, but if I did I'd probably go with Chapterhouse as well; Maxmini's usually pretty awesome at sculpts but theirs look like giant anime swords and need to be converted to fit onto the arms.

I dunno, the Chapterhouse ones are more detailed, but they look too chunky and clumsy to me.. what's the use of a sword if you don't have a wrist?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is a pretty sweet setup, but does it only come with three shelves, or is that all you've put in?

It's the Detlof case from Ikea. $79 CDN. It only has the 3 glass shelves plus the floor. Each shelf is roughly 15" high, 15" wide and 11" tall. I'm picking up an LED stick-up light for the top to make it a little brighter.

To fill in and maximize the rest of the space, I plan to buy transparent acrylic risers. Putting some rubberized pads on the bottom would keep them from slipping around.

That what I PLAN to do, if I ever get more stuff done. :suicide:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I bought a set of these a while back for use in my 4th edition games and painted them up with a cool looking fire effect.

They have since released some other types that I have bought, but I am struggling to come up with a nice way of painting the smoke ones

Any one got any suggestions?

I was thinking of basecoating in white, then randomly painting in sections of a light grey, then washing the whole thing with badab, then drybrushing white.

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 23, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I figured out my high elf color scheme when I couldn't sleep last night, but I'll need some critique from you guys first before I ruin a whole army with it. Pictures when I get home.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

crime fighting hog posted:

I figured out my high elf color scheme when I couldn't sleep last night, but I'll need some critique from you guys first before I ruin a whole army with it. Pictures when I get home.

You could say what it is, too. It better be bright yellow.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

chelsea clinton posted:

You could say what it is, too. It better be bright yellow.

its a surprise! I basically took the blood angel scheme and hosed it up ie red armor, white trim and gold mail

crime fighting hog fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 23, 2010

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

its a surprise! I basically took the blood angel scheme and hosed it up ie red armor, white trim and gold mail

Can confirm this scheme as awesome, there's an army in the local shop here with a similar scheme (although more red and less white)and it's an awesome contrast to the usual bright blues that you usually see.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Can confirm this scheme as awesome, there's an army in the local shop here with a similar scheme (although more red and less white)and it's an awesome contrast to the usual bright blues that you usually see.

Exactly. Though I'm going to stick with a slightly darker red than straight blood red because that's too orange for this. I'm terrible at painting flat armor but metals and cloth I'm not too bad at.

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
These loving kasrkin legs are driving me loving nuts. I cant seem to get the cloth to look even halfway presentable. :bang:

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

KingMob posted:

That's pretty sweet. Where can one acquire one/how much?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

KingMob posted:

It's the Detlof case from Ikea. $79 CDN.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The problem with the Detlof is that it has way too much wasted vertical space when used for 28mm miniatures. I'm still looking for a decent deisplay cabinet for my little men.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
My brother has one of these for his Orks:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19837900

It can hold all his stuff but it's not as cool as an all glass case.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
So a couple of weeks ago I asked for some critique on my very WIP warboss on bike, as it looked here:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

As expected, people said his body is too small, the back wheel is too drat weedy, and he needs some better weapons. After hopping on ebay for some supplies, and rummaging in my bits bags, he now looks like this:

Click here for the full 673x800 image.

With Ghazghkull for a size reference. Total length is 10cm tip to tip, and 9cm from the bottom of the base to the top of the bosspole.

The body has been replaced with a familiar warboss sized one, which means he's awkwardly turning to the left slightly and has some featureless sides, but oh well. A track instead of the tiny wheel, and some rough GSing which needs tidying up, but I feel he is nearly complete. Anyone have anything that they see needs urgently changed before the final tidying up and basecoating?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Cross posted from the Oath Thread.

Here they are with their 5 other buddies. Heh heh.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Hey Fix, for your Green Knights, how'd you get that green over that silver? I know you said you used washes, but was it just a lot of Thraka Green over several layers, or what?

EDIT: Never mind, I found your recipe. Badab then layers of Thraka. How many, exactly?

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 24, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Three or four, really. More in shadowed areas, less where I want it to look lighter. Let the natural silver with only a couple coats work as the highlighting.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Exactly. Though I'm going to stick with a slightly darker red than straight blood red because that's too orange for this. I'm terrible at painting flat armor but metals and cloth I'm not too bad at.

Great minds think alike, I am going to paint my high elves in a more traditional scheme, but with red instead of blue (Red trim, red crests, white cloth). Probably with bronze mail too.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
WIP shots of the early greenstuff on my farseer

still trying to get the rune to stick down properly, might end up just adding a bit more greenstuff to fill the gap. I think it's almost imperceptably offcenter but it's enough to annoy me a lot so im considering pulling it off and sticking it down again :/ still. Next up is fixing the torso to the legs, casting the bottom tabardy bit of the rune armor to stick over the legs, then greenstuffing the bottom half of his cloak back which will probably be tricky to get right, gonna try drilling in paperclips into the upper torso and bending them along the path of the raised cloak bits as a frame to drape a big sheet of greenstuff over then shape it and trim edges when it cures

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Try sculpting it over a piece of plastic wrap wrapped around a toilet paper roll, then rough up the area you're applying it to and glue it on when it's fully cured.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

FractionMan posted:

As expected, people said his body is too small, the back wheel is too drat weedy, and he needs some better weapons. After hopping on ebay for some supplies, and rummaging in my bits bags, he now looks like this:

The body has been replaced with a familiar warboss sized one, which means he's awkwardly turning to the left slightly and has some featureless sides, but oh well. A track instead of the tiny wheel, and some rough GSing which needs tidying up, but I feel he is nearly complete. Anyone have anything that they see needs urgently changed before the final tidying up and basecoating?

Beyond possibly adding a grot or a squig to the front faring no, it looks much better.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Indolent Bastard posted:

Beyond possibly adding a grot or a squig to the front faring no, it looks much better.

That's actually a really good plan, I completely forgot I had a grot with a spanner. Although I think he might be less intrusive on the back of the bike than on the front, the model will look more natural on there given the pose he has. Thank you for the suggestion!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

WIP shots of the early greenstuff on my farseer

still trying to get the rune to stick down properly, might end up just adding a bit more greenstuff to fill the gap. I think it's almost imperceptably offcenter but it's enough to annoy me a lot so im considering pulling it off and sticking it down again :/ still. Next up is fixing the torso to the legs, casting the bottom tabardy bit of the rune armor to stick over the legs, then greenstuffing the bottom half of his cloak back which will probably be tricky to get right, gonna try drilling in paperclips into the upper torso and bending them along the path of the raised cloak bits as a frame to drape a big sheet of greenstuff over then shape it and trim edges when it cures
This is looking pretty good, I like the robes so far. How did you do the rune on the front? It looks a little like you it might have been cast of something, but I can't think of an existing sculpted rune that shape to use.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

Great minds think alike, I am going to paint my high elves in a more traditional scheme, but with red instead of blue (Red trim, red crests, white cloth). Probably with bronze mail too.

I made a 1:1 mixed pot of blood red and scab red and it looks perfect. I decided the trim on the armor can be white, but the trim on the cloth (the trim around the splint mail skirts they wear) will be shadow gray. Painting that part white just looks funny cause I can't seem to get it right.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
hello gentlemen.

(click for big-sorta wide)

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Ashcans posted:

This is looking pretty good, I like the robes so far. How did you do the rune on the front? It looks a little like you it might have been cast of something, but I can't think of an existing sculpted rune that shape to use.

It's a cast of the top of the farseer's staff, which I've cut off since he'll be getting a converted singing spear anyway

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
:krakken:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Finished my first batch of nids. Guess I gotta build termagants tomorrow.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Those bases are really fuckin nice. They contrast the paint job really well. I would suggest maybe touching up some of the carapace or something-the wash is a bit blotchy.

The unit looks ace though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

!amicable posted:

Those bases are really fuckin nice. They contrast the paint job really well. I would suggest maybe touching up some of the carapace or something-the wash is a bit blotchy.

The unit looks ace though.

Yeah, it's the wood varnish, it's pretty hit or miss. The gaunts I put on way too much, the tyrant has a lot of flat bone areas that don't cover well. I'm probably gonna go back and put some highlights on the tyrant at some point, but for now I'm happy with just cranking out tabletop quality models that will actually get playing time.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

but for now I'm happy with just cranking out tabletop quality models that will actually get playing time.

This is critical to the devlan mud warhammer 40k ACTUALLY PLAYING experience.

Anytime he posts anything not tyranid related, flame him mercilessly :d:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

This is critical to the devlan mud warhammer 40k ACTUALLY PLAYING experience.

Anytime he posts anything not tyranid related, flame him mercilessly :d:

sadly this would probably be a pretty good motivator for me

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

:flame:

THIS POST LACKS TYRANIDS :commissar:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
And the final model to paint for the month... This guy. :c00l:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Devlan Mud posted:

shut the gently caress up you fat lazy piece of poo poo and go paint

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was supposed to be working on either some terminators or a land raider but I had to take care of a project for class. Fortunately I might be able to work that into a scenary piece:

I sculpted a miniature copy of my fist out of wax clay then had it cast in bronze. Guess I'll start sculpting a stand of some kind and work that into a Rogal Dorn Community Park diorama.

A little rough, sure, it's the first time I sculpted anything though so I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Now THAT'S a powerfist!

• Locked thread