Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

coconono posted:

According to DDP.

His other accomplishments:
giving Raven his gimmick
giving Stone Cold his gimmick

giving Randy Orton his finisher, and allowing him to use it Sports Entertainment-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
DDP vs. Raven, Raven's Rules, 1998 Spring Stampede
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOj7YngCjJg
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u_KnKfxG1g

Pretty good story of DDP vs. the entire Flock.

Edit: with "Shooter" Mark Curtis as the ref :3:

Edit2: "He's gonna suplex him!" "Where?" "ON THE WEBSITE!"

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 24, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpbwu_raven-vs-benoit-vs-ddp-wcw-uncensor_sport

The three way match with DDP, Raven and Benoit was probably one of the best post-Hogan WCW matches. DDP really was incredibly good at being the guy that never gives up.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

MrBling posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpbwu_raven-vs-benoit-vs-ddp-wcw-uncensor_sport

The three way match with DDP, Raven and Benoit was probably one of the best post-Hogan WCW matches. DDP really was incredibly good at being the guy that never gives up.

That was pretty good. I liked how every weapon Raven tried to set up he got hit with. Also I liked when he just threw that table at Benoit.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Was that the match where they built to it on TRL?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I loved, loved, loved DDP's match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Watch the crowd completely lose their poo poo when Page reverses the Jackhammer into the Diamond Cutter.

Diamond Cutter>RKO

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

TL posted:

I loved, loved, loved DDP's match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Watch the crowd completely lose their poo poo when Page reverses the Jackhammer into the Diamond Cutter.

Diamond Cutter>RKO

The best part of this match is that they aired it for free on Nitro the night after because of their cable fuckup. One of the happiest nights of my wrestling fandom.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Critical posted:

Wasn't the story something to the effect of: DDP wants to do the spot but doesn't know how, and Eddie basically says "Just get me up in position and I'll take care of it"?

Basically, except Eddie pitched the spot to DDP.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

TL posted:

Diamond Cutter>RKO

I dunno, its kinda lame watching the Diamond Cutter now. While DDP always set it up better, he just sort of drops like a rag doll and takes the impact on his shoulder. Orton makes it look a lot crisper.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TL posted:

Diamond Cutter>RKO

That was a glorious gently caress up with the Hogan Warrior match then DDP v Goldberg which is all good. However Bitchoff did not tell the cable company that they were going longer and the ppv ended with the Hogan Warrior match. I am almost positive that thsi is repeated information but that match and situation just completely captures WCW's gently caress ups.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

That was a glorious gently caress up with the Hogan Warrior match then DDP v Goldberg which is all good. However Bitchoff did not tell the cable company that they were going longer and the ppv ended with the Hogan Warrior match. I am almost positive that thsi is repeated information but that match and situation just completely captures WCW's gently caress ups.

Bischoff told a surrogate to tell the PPV companies they were going long a week earlier but it didn't get done. So the night of the show he had to call the companies himself, and some couldn't extend the show even with the warning.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Sugar Blaster posted:

Was that the match where they built to it on TRL?

Sort of, DDP was the guest on some MTV show. I'd say TRL but I think TRL always had an audience and this didn't. It was whatever host and Matthew McConnaughey (I remember because Raven called him McWannabe) and Dave Grohl and Page was showing highlights of the 3way. They did some interview and Raven showed up on a monitor because he was separated because he couldn't play along...just like in school or some Raven heel poo poo.

So as Page is being interviewed Raven shows up in the studio and drills him with a stop sign.

I was happy because Raven, my favorite wrestler in high school, was on MTV which was the bastion of cool when I was a kid. I was sad because it was totally loving lame with an old guy (Raven) on a channel that used to be cool.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Minges posted:

Sort of, DDP was the guest on some MTV show. I'd say TRL but I think TRL always had an audience and this didn't. It was whatever host and Matthew McConnaughey (I remember because Raven called him McWannabe) and Dave Grohl and Page was showing highlights of the 3way. They did some interview and Raven showed up on a monitor because he was separated because he couldn't play along...just like in school or some Raven heel poo poo.

So as Page is being interviewed Raven shows up in the studio and drills him with a stop sign.

I was happy because Raven, my favorite wrestler in high school, was on MTV which was the bastion of cool when I was a kid. I was sad because it was totally loving lame with an old guy (Raven) on a channel that used to be cool.

haha I loving remember this now. I think it was something called MTV Live that was a precursor to TRL hosted by maybe Matt Pinfield.

It was in the same studio that TRL was in, it's just that nobody ever watched it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Minges posted:

How was Raven an old guy in spring of 1998? I thought that was a really loving cool angle when WCW played it in highlight form, since if I remember correctly DDP gets DDTed onto a coffee table.

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn

MassRayPer posted:

How was Raven an old guy in spring of 1998? I thought that was a really loving cool angle when WCW played it in highlight form, since if I remember correctly DDP gets DDTed onto a coffee table.

Yes and it owned. That was one of the things that made me start liking Raven.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
I posted this earlier in this thread or in the Youtube thread but since we're on the subject of DDP its worth a repost. Sting vs DDP in 1999 in what I think is the best Nitro match of all time. 3 part video but here's the finish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sBfjcDQYUM

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

coconono posted:

According to DDP.

His other accomplishments:
giving Raven his gimmick

Not quite. DDP decided wrestling needed a grunge gimmick and mentioned it to Raven, who then channeled all the bile in his life into it and made himself a marketable character. All DDP did was tie a flannel shirt around his waist, basically.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Wrestling is all in the execution, because most of it's ideas are stolen and then filtered through a haze of pain pills and retardation.

Minges
May 4, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

To clarify I thought it was cool as hell and it kept me a strong Raven fan. However, and I was pretty murky about this before, it was a 35ish dude or so playing a grunge rocker about seven years too late on the channel that was once cool.

Rocked my world but I was hoping it would make wrestling cool to the other kids at my high school. Ended up looking, to them, just as silly as anything in wrestling aside from DX and Austin 3:16.

^^^^ put it pretty drat well. As a wrestling fan it was really neat and interesting. To regular dudes it was just more wrestling poo poo.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally got my hands on a copy of The Death of WCW, and I gotta say, WCW's fuckups were just as bad before Bischoff showed up. The company was doomed to begin with if it weren't for Turner's wallet.

Does anyone have any footage of the cage match for the title at some pay per view debacle between Sid Viscous and random Flair replacement after Flair left for the WWF? The one where the crowd totally poo poo on the match and chanted "WE WANT FLAIR!" a bunch.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

crankdatbatman posted:

Does anyone have any footage of the cage match for the title at some pay per view debacle between Sid Viscous and random Flair replacement after Flair left for the WWF? The one where the crowd totally poo poo on the match and chanted "WE WANT FLAIR!" a bunch.
Barry Windham vs. Lex Luger, Great American Bash 1991.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Volcano Style posted:

Barry Windham vs. Lex Luger, Great American Bash 1991.

gently caress, Luger, not Viscous, my bad.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Finally got my hands on a copy of The Death of WCW, and I gotta say, WCW's fuckups were just as bad before Bischoff showed up. The company was doomed to begin with if it weren't for Turner's wallet.

Bischoff was in WCW since like 1990. Do you mean when he was in charge?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Minges posted:

To clarify I thought it was cool as hell and it kept me a strong Raven fan. However, and I was pretty murky about this before, it was a 35ish dude or so playing a grunge rocker about seven years too late on the channel that was once cool.

He was about the same age as your average grunge rocker dude though, so it wasn't that bad (for reference, he's the same age as Eddie Vedder). The gimmick was a few years behind to be sure, but that's kinda par for the course in wrestling. It actually tends to bother me more when they try to play off current trends and headlines.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I am surprised nobody mentioned WCW's biggest gimmick night - Halloween Havoc.

Especially the "Chamber of Horrors" Match

They were trying anything to compete against WWF/WWE at the time, and I firmly believe this PPV could be the reason more people watched WWF at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I am surprised nobody mentioned WCW's biggest gimmick night - Halloween Havoc.

Especially the "Chamber of Horrors" Match

They were trying anything to compete against WWF/WWE at the time, and I firmly believe this PPV could be the reason more people watched WWF at the time.

Halloween Havoc varied btween WCW's best PPV of the year and worst PPV of the year.

In the same show you'd sometimes see awesome matches and the WMOTYC too. It was quite the tradition.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

Halloween Havoc varied btween WCW's best PPV of the year and worst PPV of the year.

In the same show you'd sometimes see awesome matches and the WMOTYC too. It was quite the tradition.

Case in point: Hogan-Warrior 2 and DDP-Goldberg were the shame show.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

Case in point: Hogan-Warrior 2 and DDP-Goldberg were the shame show.

Except PPV viewers never got to see DDP vs. Goldberg

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Lone Rogue posted:

I tell you what, that created at least one room full of pissed-off 14-year-olds.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

Jericho/Raven and Warrior/Hogan II were seen by viewers on the same show.

The year before was the same way. HH 97 had DDP/Savage and Rey/Eddie Mask vs Title... and Hogan vs Piper Age in a Cage.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

crankdatbatman posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4juar_lex-luger-vs-barry-windhamwcw-heavy_sport

This is a title match between Barry Windham and Lex Luger in a cage. I don't know how many of them they had.

Also commentated by a young Jim Ross.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I have some PPVs from 2001 I'm currently watching through.

first up is Spring Stampede: REVENGE, about two matches in.

thoughts:
great video package opens up the show. Similiar to what TNA was doing during its not completely poo poo perioud.

Animal shows up and murders Billy Kidman. That's really surreal.

Shane Helms is over as gently caress, what the hell??

Hugh Morris and The Wall worked towards a pretty decent match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

wait, did they sweeten the audio on PPVs?

JavyOO7
Dec 4, 2005
y halo thar?
I think one nice moment I remember from WCW is when Hugh Morris won the WCW US title on a PPV. He had been in WCW for quite some time and never got his due until that night. The night after on Nitro he was being interviewed by Mean Gene and all of a sudden Goldberg is in the entrance way and saying to Morris something about respect and such and then some faces of the WCW roster came out and applauded him. Nice moment and I can't find it on video, though. =/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

wait, did they sweeten the audio on PPVs?

Only if the crowd is cheering someone you don't like, or booing someone you do.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JavyOO7 posted:

I think one nice moment I remember from WCW is when Hugh Morris won the WCW US title on a PPV. He had been in WCW for quite some time and never got his due until that night. The night after on Nitro he was being interviewed by Mean Gene and all of a sudden Goldberg is in the entrance way and saying to Morris something about respect and such and then some faces of the WCW roster came out and applauded him. Nice moment and I can't find it on video, though. =/
The two most awesome parts of this were Goldberg almost ruining it by saying, "Goldberg's streak had to start somewhere" and the fact that Hugh legitimately had no idea any of it was going to happen.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

The two most awesome parts of this were Goldberg almost ruining it by saying, "Goldberg's streak had to start somewhere" and the fact that Hugh legitimately had no idea any of it was going to happen.

Goldberg jackhammering Hugh out of nowhere in his first match was pretty loving mind-blowing at the time. I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Only if the crowd is cheering someone you don't like, or booing someone you do.

Because wrestling companies NEVER alter the audio in post in order to make you believe what they want you to

"CODY CODY CODY CODY"
"CENA CENA CENA CENA"

Ziggy Tzardust fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 15, 2010

Minges
May 4, 2006

coconono posted:

I have some PPVs from 2001 I'm currently watching through.

first up is Spring Stampede: REVENGE, about two matches in.

thoughts:
great video package opens up the show. Similiar to what TNA was doing during its not completely poo poo perioud.

Animal shows up and murders Billy Kidman. That's really surreal.

Shane Helms is over as gently caress, what the hell??

Hugh Morris and The Wall worked towards a pretty decent match.

"Sugar" Shane was pretty built up by the company and was one of the last things they did right. He had a cool looking moveset, cooler music and would have had a cool look if he weren't a meth-wiry chinstrapped comic book redneck with braces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Because wrestling companies NEVER alter the audio in post in order to make you believe what you want them too

They do it a lot less than people claim they do, I know that for a fact just like people know that crowds all hate Matt Hardy and hope to see him gone from WWE.