Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

It depends on your environment. You're very unlikely to get support from the vendor if you have a customized kernel, so they're uncommon in most of the world, but in a lot of high-frequency trading shops you will see real-time kernels in the datacenter.

This is true, I work with a few different ISV's and they all have their own RT kernel that we put together for them. Sometimes it doesn't play nice with different hardware, Dell R710 I'm looking at you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My windows 7 RC is expiring, so I've been messing around with Ubuntu on a whim. I'm using 9.10 (via wubi), and flash will not install properly. Every time I go to download/install it, I get the option to "enable software channel" which I accept, it prompts for the root password, then starts downloading the package but hangs indefinitely on file 48 of 49.

I'm trying to install by going to this page and selecting "APT for Ubuntu 9.04+" from the dropdown.

Sooooo, how do I get flash working on this dumb thing?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

bawfuls posted:

My windows 7 RC is expiring, so I've been messing around with Ubuntu on a whim. I'm using 9.10 (via wubi), and flash will not install properly. Every time I go to download/install it, I get the option to "enable software channel" which I accept, it prompts for the root password, then starts downloading the package but hangs indefinitely on file 48 of 49.

I'm trying to install by going to this page and selecting "APT for Ubuntu 9.04+" from the dropdown.

Sooooo, how do I get flash working on this dumb thing?
Hit the button to see all the messages, there might be a license you have to accept in the console output. You're using synaptic, right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sund posted:

Hit the button to see all the messages, there might be a license you have to accept in the console output. You're using synaptic, right?
not sure i know what synaptic is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bawfuls posted:

not sure i know what synaptic is.

It's a graphical package manager

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat
So I got a new laptop for work, that has a 64GB SSD within. Naturally I decided to install Ubuntu 9.10 on it, thinking that it would boot extremely fast, but so far I have been pretty disappointed. Looking through the dmesg I really don't see anything that would raise my eyebrows. I tried upgrading to grub2, and tweaking the O/S for faster SSD performance but that didn't really make any difference. The only thing I can think of that might be causing problems at this point would be the Nvidia drivers I had to install in order to get the more advanced visual settings to work.

Anybody had similar issues with ubuntu 9.10?

also here is my bootchart because, godammit, bootchart is awesome.

Click here for the full 1024x1793 image.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

inveratulo posted:

So I got a new laptop for work, that has a 64GB SSD within. Naturally I decided to install Ubuntu 9.10 on it, thinking that it would boot extremely fast, but so far I have been pretty disappointed. Looking through the dmesg I really don't see anything that would raise my eyebrows. I tried upgrading to grub2, and tweaking the O/S for faster SSD performance but that didn't really make any difference. The only thing I can think of that might be causing problems at this point would be the Nvidia drivers I had to install in order to get the more advanced visual settings to work.

Anybody had similar issues with ubuntu 9.10?

also here is my bootchart because, godammit, bootchart is awesome.

Click here for the full 1024x1793 image.

I would recommend you edit your grub.conf so elevator=noop.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190 has a good explanation. I have items 2 and 3 on that list for my Netbook that has a slow SSD.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
You can also mount /var/log as a temporary fs to reduce some wear on the drive. Of course, since it's mounted in RAM, a reboot will clear any logs.

Add this to your fstab:
code:
none		/var/log		tmpfs	defaults		0 0
You can also add /var/tmp and /tmp, but some programs might crash if you run out of space (Best example would be amarok and most of KDE).
code:
none		/var/tmp		tmpfs	defaults		0 0
none		/tmp			tmpfs	defaults		0 0

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
I have a wireless router/switch that is connected to the internet on the other side of my house. Here in my office I have about 4 machines that I want to set up on a wired network, with an Ubuntu box as their server. The server will need to connect wirelessly to the router and bring internet to the wired machines.

I have a Belkin Wireless Desktop G Card installed in my server, this comes up as a RaLink RT2500 card, and uses the rt2500pci driver on the machine. This works fine and connects to my wireless network as a standalone machine, it can see the internet fine. There is also an Ethernet card in the server that works fine if I plug directly into the router.

However when I go to set it up as a bridge, the wireless connection stops working completely. I can't ping or do DNS lookups anymore.

This is the contents of my /etc/network/interfaces file. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

=========================

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# Wireless adaptor
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.253
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254
wireless-essid xxxxx
wireless-key xxxxx

# Bridge
auto br0
iface br0 inet static
bridge_ports eth0 wlan0
address 192.168.0.100
network 192.168.0.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

edit: oops nevermind

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 20, 2010

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I hope I haven't asked a question here and forgot.

Anyway...

I've been in the mood for dicking around with web, ftp and other miscellaneous server stuff as it has been ages and I want to catch up / brush up.

I have created a VM in VirtualBox (open version) with Linux Mint 8 x64.

The host is running Ubuntu Karmic.

Mint was chosen based off teh following criteria: The CD was sitting on my desk.

What I want to do is make sure that it has NOTHING facing the internet. What's the easiest way to do this?

I want to have ssh, probably telnet, ftp, possibly NNTP and a few other random ports open to my network for my own nefarious uses.

The network is just a thrown together thing with wired / wireless using a DIR-300.

So what's the easiest way to make sure my guest isn't a security vulnerability?

Another question. How can I re-add the keyboard shortcut for "xkill"? I don't want to do it via the Gnome shortcut editor because I don't always use Gnome.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Me again. I have another one.

Are there any home budget managing programs? Using a spreadsheet is messy and awkward.

I'm after something that I can track expenses and bank balances in. Also to put in bills with their due date and if / when I have paid and how much.

Does something like that exist? I have been trying ot find something and but haven't found anything quite right.
One of those "roll your own" circumstances maybe? If so, what would be a good backend to store data?
yes I was a software developer in a previous life.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

General_Failure posted:

Me again. I have another one.

Are there any home budget managing programs? Using a spreadsheet is messy and awkward.

I'm after something that I can track expenses and bank balances in. Also to put in bills with their due date and if / when I have paid and how much.

Does something like that exist? I have been trying ot find something and but haven't found anything quite right.
One of those "roll your own" circumstances maybe? If so, what would be a good backend to store data?
yes I was a software developer in a previous life.

gnucash?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

General_Failure posted:

What I want to do is make sure that it has NOTHING facing the internet. What's the easiest way to do this?
iptables

General_Failure posted:

mint.com

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat

waffle iron posted:

I would recommend you edit your grub.conf so elevator=noop.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190 has a good explanation. I have items 2 and 3 on that list for my Netbook that has a slow SSD.

Thanks for the help guys. I decided to go ahead and load Lucid Lynx Beta 1 on it. New boot time is 15 seconds, which is more in line of what I would expect.

I have a stinking suspicion that the restricted nvidia drivers are causing problems during boot, adding 45 seconds to total boot time.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm installing Linux Mint 8 on my laptop and I have a stupid question because I'm a Linux newbie. Since this is Linux do I really have to worry about viruses and spyware? If there is a problem with viruses and spyware even on a Linux OS what anti-virus program do you suggest? I've read online that Linux has it's own anti-virus called clamav but are there other free alternatives that work better?

Edit: Also, does Linux Mint support Intel speedstep like Windows does or does the CPU run full speed all the time?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2010

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

spasticColon posted:

I'm installing Linux Mint 8 on my laptop and I have a stupid question because I'm a Linux newbie. Since this is Linux do I really have to worry about viruses and spyware? If there is a problem with viruses and spyware even on a Linux OS what anti-virus program do you suggest? I've read online that Linux has it's own anti-virus called clamav but are there other free alternatives that work better?

Edit: Also, does Linux Mint support Intel speedstep like Windows does or does the CPU run full speed all the time?

Linux will run something like speedstep in it's way, google it since I've never had practice with it.

Yes, Linux does need anti-virus, every system needs anti-virus. ClamAV can be tricky for a newbie, but luckily ubuntu has a great wiki with loads of documentation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

enotnert posted:

Linux will run something like speedstep in it's way, google it since I've never had practice with it.

Yes, Linux does need anti-virus, every system needs anti-virus. ClamAV can be tricky for a newbie, but luckily ubuntu has a great wiki with loads of documentation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ClamAV

Thanks for the info.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Since this is Linux do I really have to worry about viruses and spyware?

No.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Bob Morales posted:

No.

This is the worst advice you could give to anyone ever. . .

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

enotnert posted:

Viruses on Linux are not a serious issue.

ClamAV is a virus scanner that runs on Linux, but it almost exclusively scans for Windows viruses. Why? Because it's designed to run on a fileserver or email gateway and prevent Windows clients from getting infected. It's almost completely useless to run on a personal Linux machine.

I won't argue that Linux is immune to virus threats, but the worms out in the wild won't affect anyone who isn't running out of date services or using insecure passwords; Ubuntu and similar install with no services exposed to the outside world. It's mostly a non-issue as far as endusers are concerned.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I had a one off, but horrible bug in ssh yesterday which I have been unable to reproduce. Would I just be wasting peoples time by reporting it?

The bug: executing the local version of firefox instead of the one I had an ssh connection with. Yes I am sure. No I don't know how. Subsequent executions were invariably the remote version.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

General_Failure posted:

I had a one off, but horrible bug in ssh yesterday which I have been unable to reproduce. Would I just be wasting peoples time by reporting it?

The bug: executing the local version of firefox instead of the one I had an ssh connection with. Yes I am sure. No I don't know how. Subsequent executions were invariably the remote version.

It's a firefox "feature".

When you start firefox, it asks your X server if there is already a running firefox window. If there is, it sends it a message to open a new window instead of doing it itself. If you are running over SSH, this results in the bad thing happening.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ShoulderDaemon posted:

It's a firefox "feature".

When you start firefox, it asks your X server if there is already a running firefox window. If there is, it sends it a message to open a new window instead of doing it itself. If you are running over SSH, this results in the bad thing happening.

That is absolutely idiotic. I must have had a 'dead' firefox resident that spawned the new window then.

So this wonderful "feature" prevents a user from running firefox on a remote computer via X tunneling in ssh if there is a local version running. But the programs aren't even executing on the same machine. Now I have to experiment with other programs which do the already running instance check.

If I issue a command in SSH I don't want it to be hijacked by the local system. Thanks, Firefox.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

General_Failure posted:

That is absolutely idiotic. I must have had a 'dead' firefox resident that spawned the new window then.

So this wonderful "feature" prevents a user from running firefox on a remote computer via X tunneling in ssh if there is a local version running. But the programs aren't even executing on the same machine. Now I have to experiment with other programs which do the already running instance check.

If I issue a command in SSH I don't want it to be hijacked by the local system. Thanks, Firefox.

firefox -no-remote

If you're also using an NFS mounted home directory so that each instance of firefox would be using the same profile, you'll need to launch firefox -P -no-remote to create a second profile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

enotnert posted:

What do you suggest he do? Are there websites that launch attacks against Linux systems by attempting to exploit old versions of Apache/sshd after you have viewed an ad? And is there a 'Norton Anti-virus for Linux' that would protect against this?

"Every system needs anti-virus" is equally bad advice.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's far more likely is that the user hits a website that exploits a bug in Firefox. I bet there's bugs that crop up in builds across platforms.

Then again, I've never found virus scanners useful in Windows so I certainly don't run one in Linux.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Uh, most of the major arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities on any platform are through Java, Flash and Adobe Reader, which -- surprise! -- run bytecode or scripts, not machine code. These exploits do not have any problem running on Linux.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Misogynist posted:

Uh, most of the major arbitrary code execution vulnerabilities on any platform are through Java, Flash and Adobe Reader, which -- surprise! -- run bytecode or scripts, not machine code. These exploits do not have any problem running on Linux.

But their payloads do. The bytecode/scripted exploits are only good for injecting a machine code payload, and nobody is targeting desktop linux yet.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

thelightguy posted:

But their payloads do. The bytecode/scripted exploits are only good for injecting a machine code payload, and nobody is targeting desktop linux yet.

Because that would be like hitting a moving target at 1000'. Binaries become incompatible awfully fast in linux, especially ones that deal with anything critical to functionality ie kernel, modules and friends.
There are also minor binary / structural incompatibilities between major distribution groups. Then there is processor types. I'm not even sure I _can_ run a 32 bit binary on this machine.

I do have ClamAV installed with a context menu scan option, but it has never found anything and to be honest I have no idea if it even works.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

General_Failure posted:

Binaries become incompatible awfully fast in linux

This isn't even a minor speedbump in the way of malware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Only reason I would see having ClamAV installed on a Linux machine is if it were a file server of some sort to Windows machines. Then again, you'd have anti-virus running on those machines anyway.

It's sad that anything gets by the umpteen levels of scanning out there today.

First off, the file is on your computer with Norton or McAfee You send an email, your outgoing server typically will scan it. The receiving server is going to scan it. There may be some sort of spam/virus scanning appliance in front of that. The recipients computer is going to scan it. And their file server is going to scan it when they save the attachment to the network!

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
At work we use an NAS and there are several cases where a dynamic link would be ideal. Normally I would SSH into the box and setup the links; however, there is no shell access to the box. Is there any way to generate the equivalent of a dynamic link of a file without shell access?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Modern Pragmatist posted:

At work we use an NAS and there are several cases where a dynamic link would be ideal. Normally I would SSH into the box and setup the links; however, there is no shell access to the box. Is there any way to generate the equivalent of a dynamic link of a file without shell access?

The underlying file system has to support it first of all, and if it does you can just mount the file system on *nix client and make the links there.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

The underlying file system has to support it first of all, and if it does you can just mount the file system on *nix client and make the links there.

Wow. I guess I should have tried that first. I figured that links used some sort of memory addressing that would be specific to each client.

Now to figure out how to have Windows users not accidentally delete a linked file because they think there are two copies...

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have a client with a very old system and he is running some legacy apps that have been written in C++. However he is asking that we install ipmitool so as to allow him access to his ILOm. Installing the ipmitool results in the following error:

configure:6679: checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler
configure:6703: g++ -c conftest.cc >&5
g++: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory
configure:6709: $? = 1

After some googling, I made sure that both g++ and gcc were the same version but it seems that I just need to update g++ and or gcc, which in it's self is no big deal. However this server is running some legacy applications written in C++ which may or may not be using libraries on the system my questions are these:

If I upgrade G++ / GCC would that over write the existing libraries?
is there a way to tell what libraries are in use?

Thanks.

Standish
May 21, 2001

Twlight posted:

If I upgrade G++ / GCC would that over write the existing libraries?
is there a way to tell what libraries are in use?
Messing around upgrading compilers and system libraries on legacy servers is just asking for trouble, if I were you I would build "ipmitool" on a test machine (with the same environment as the legacy system) and then upload the resulting binary to your live server.

p.s. ldd will tell you what libraries a program uses.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You could probably even get away with compiling it staticly on a non-legacy system and then copying over the binary.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

You could probably even get away with compiling it staticly on a non-legacy system and then copying over the binary.

Good thinking I'm going to give this a try.

Standish thanks for the tip on ldd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've got a lone entry in my root crontab

code:
50 20 * * tue php -f /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/cron/program.php
I've checked the path and it's correct. I've run the program using the same command that's in crontab and it works, too.

Why isn't this working? What can I do about it?

Thanks.

spiritual bypass fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 31, 2010