Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

frozenphil posted:

Home Depot, Lowes, and WalMart all carry it near me. All of the auto parts stores near me also carry it as well as the paint supply places. What kind of bizarro state do you live in?

I just went to Ace. Ill check walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RealKyleH posted:

Check AutoZone first. We always had it in stock when I worked there, and I still have a bunch that I picked up when I got a discount.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
walmart won't have it. That's like going to aldi for foi-gras. I am suprised ace didn't have it. That said, 1500grit is just fine.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ace was actually the only local place I could find high grit sandpapers.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I just ordered $400 worth of tools / equipment from Harbor Freight in preparation for pulling the motor and doing the headgaskets on my SVX this summer. Including a 2-ton foldable engine hoist (on sale for $189.99 :haw:), an engine stand, a mover's dolly, and a mechanic's creeper, with some other small odds and ends thrown in. Total shipping costs for the whole mess to my doorstep came to $11.99. :psyduck: How can you ship ~350 lbs of large, bulky poo poo for $12?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
900% profit margin on the cheap chinese crap you just ordered.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

RealKyleH posted:

I know in my area, Napa and Autozone are the only ones that stock 1500 grit etc. I think I have only ever seen 2000 grit at Napa though.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Black88GTA posted:

I just ordered $400 worth of tools / equipment from Harbor Freight in preparation for pulling the motor and doing the headgaskets on my SVX this summer. Including a 2-ton foldable engine hoist (on sale for $189.99 :haw:), an engine stand, a mover's dolly, and a mechanic's creeper, with some other small odds and ends thrown in. Total shipping costs for the whole mess to my doorstep came to $11.99. :psyduck: How can you ship ~350 lbs of large, bulky poo poo for $12?

You didnt get to use the 15-20% in store coupon. Thats where the shipping went.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Nerobro posted:

walmart won't have it. That's like going to aldi for foi-gras.

Mine does. I guess Alabama WalMarts are different because I can also order an engine from Jasper through my local WalMart. :haw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

RealKyleH posted:

Bolts with holes in them? I work for a company that makes the cable to go in the holes among other things.
Yeah, I'd say around 15% of the parts we make are drilled for lockwiring.

giundy posted:

AS series nickle based alloys?
Steels, Inconel, Waspaloy, titanium, most common aerospace materials except aluminium alloys basically. There's a constant flow of a variety of AS and other standard parts, plus all the proprietary stuff as well - some being produced constantly, some only cropping up once in a decade or more. We offer a fast turnaround and small batch sizes, so our "catalogue" if you like runs to thousands of different parts.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So my wife found a 1998 Subaru Engine for my son to rebuild and put into his RS. Should be a total surprise for his birthday. :toot:

Any recommendations for an engine stand?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Look on craigslist for one, otherwise,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32915

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I splurged and bought the one that's $10 more. I didn't care about the increased capacity, but it just looks more stable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32916

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

ab0z posted:

900% profit margin on the cheap chinese crap you just ordered.

Meh. As long as it lasts me long enough to do my motor, I'm good. I'm not about to drop 3x-4x the cost on "good" stuff that's just going to sit around after this project. v:shobon:v Maybe if I did this type of thing more often. It's basically the same poo poo I'd get at Autozone or anywhere else locally (but at 2x the HF cost) anyway.

RealKyleH posted:

You didnt get to use the 15-20% in store coupon. Thats where the shipping went.

Dammit. I didn't even know they offered something like this. I haven't had a local HF store to me in over 5 years. :(

Godholio posted:

I splurged and bought the one that's $10 more. I didn't care about the increased capacity, but it just looks more stable.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32916

This is the one I got. That 3-legged one looks like it's ready to powerbomb your engine to the pavement if the wind catches it funny.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

frozenphil posted:

Mine does. I guess Alabama WalMarts are different because I can also order an engine from Jasper through my local WalMart. :haw:

Mine does too, theyre cut into strips where 4 strips = ~1 normal sheet, 5 of them was $3.47. Seemed pricey but hey at least Ive got it now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

oxbrain posted:

Look on craigslist for one, otherwise,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=32915

I love that their FIRST LINE in the information about the stand:

WON'T TIP OVER

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I've done crank pulley bolts on that stand and never had an issue with stability.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

oxbrain posted:

I've done crank pulley bolts on that stand and never had an issue with stability.

I've only ever used those types of stands; never had an issue with stability.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Tell me about buying a cordless electric 1/2 inch drive impact for under $100. Yes, it's probably going to break or degrade quickly, but who will give me the best odds? Also, how many :10bux: more is something decent that everyone likes?

Also, tell me about lighting a garage where the ceiling is already too close for comfort and I can't disturb the wiring. Does anyone make something that snugs into the corner where a wall meets the ceiling?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Splizwarf posted:

Tell me about buying a cordless electric 1/2 inch drive impact for under $100. Yes, it's probably going to break or degrade quickly, but who will give me the best odds? Also, how many :10bux: more is something decent that everyone likes?

Also, tell me about lighting a garage where the ceiling is already too close for comfort and I can't disturb the wiring. Does anyone make something that snugs into the corner where a wall meets the ceiling?

Harbor Freight has a good electric 1/2 inch impact for under $40 if they are close to you. They are surprisingly durable, like HF's 4.25 inch angle grinders.

For garage lighting, look no further than Wally World, who has T8 florescent strip light housings that you plug in to an outlet for less than $10. I've had them in my not very tall garage for 4 years now with zero problems. And they are made in :911:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Harbor Freight has a good electric 1/2 inch impact for under $40 if they are close to you. They are surprisingly durable,

Really? I like this... how powerful is it? I can see myself needing one of those at some point.

I see an emergency 12V one for $30, and a Chicago brand one for $70... though really, that price is not bad either. Is that the durable one you speak of?

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 27, 2010

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I was hoping for cordless. I want to take it to the junkyard. If I go corded I might as well spend the $100 on an air compressor instead, I already have some airwrenches. :v:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I just bought these two guys at the HF in Roanoke!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92782

and

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

The jack was more than I wanted to spend but they were out of the cheap racing jack and this one I got is beastly! Quality is very nice and I can finally jack up my VW without having to roll onto pieces of wood!

The electric impact is something I just wanted to try out and a lot of people seem to like it. I won't be doing much other than removing lugs with it and maybe some suspension bits when I put on coilovers this summer. Very happy with my new toys. :)

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Really? I like this... how powerful is it? I can see myself needing one of those at some point.

I see an emergency 12V one for $30, and a Chicago brand one for $70... though really, that price is not bad either. Is that the durable one you speak of?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45252

I have this one, and it works well for just about everything I've needed it for. It is too weak to remove larger rusty suspension bolts on a Jeep Cherokee though. It wouldn't take off the U-Bolt nuts, and definitely not the front and rear leaf spring bolts. It does have the power for the majority of other things I've used it for though.

Oh, and it was on sale for $40 when I bought it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Just got this, borrowing truck from friend to pick up tomorrow:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90320

$339.99 (instore price $399, had to pull up the internet listing on my blackberry so they would match the price, those fuckers) then used 20% off coupon.
$271 final price, bitches.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, does anybody know where I could find a 1/2" drive, 6-point 22mm swivel socket?

I need the swivel to be on the socket, I don't have the room for an adapter. I need about .25" more.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

So, does anybody know where I could find a 1/2" drive, 6-point 22mm swivel socket?

I need the swivel to be on the socket, I don't have the room for an adapter. I need about .25" more.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default...ket+%2D+6+Point

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

That looks like what I need, but where can I get that? It doesn't look like that one's available online.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

That looks like what I need, but where can I get that? It doesn't look like that one's available online.

drat, you're right. I can't find anywhere that sells it online. What about something like this?

http://www.tooltopia.com/grey-pneumatic-2022um.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=GRE2022UM&utm_campaign=googlebase_18u

Money Walrus
Sep 2, 2007
I keep seeing fancy new ratcheting box wrenches and all kinds of other newfangled electric-scissor type tools on the market today. Most of my tools are my grandfather's forged 1950s Craftsman ratchets, sockets, and combination wrenches. Is there anything newfangled that you guys feel is absolutely necessary for everyday wrenching? I don't even own an impact gun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've been in situations where a ratcheting wrench would've definitely made things easier, but I've never been able to justify the cost when I already have about 2 1/2 sets of normal-ish wrenches.

One of those sets is those late-90s Craftsman gimmick pseudo-ratcheting deals, which sort of work but I usually just use them as normal wrenches.

Edit: Is there a product out there to somehow check the calibration of a torque wrench? I've got some work coming up that I'd like to know it's accurate, but I also know I abused the wrench before I knew better.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Money Walrus posted:

I keep seeing fancy new ratcheting box wrenches and all kinds of other newfangled electric-scissor type tools on the market today. Most of my tools are my grandfather's forged 1950s Craftsman ratchets, sockets, and combination wrenches. Is there anything newfangled that you guys feel is absolutely necessary for everyday wrenching? I don't even own an impact gun.
Other than specific sockets and bits for more modern fasteners, not really. Though if you need a 10" adjustable, buy Stanley's 10" locking adjustable instead:

Just buy good-quality kit as and when you really need something specific for a given job.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
A 3/8' extendable ratchet is my favorite and only newfangled tool I own. Any time I have a rusty bolt or tight drain plug I adjust the length of the ratchet for more torque.

I have a set of tools that were my grandfathers and his fathers. It included a set of three "monkey wrenches" from the late 1800s, I use the smallest of those when I need to keep a nut or bolt from moving while loosening the other end. And there's less "screw slop" than crescent wrenches, although the locking jaw on the one above this post takes care of that.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

A 3/8' extendable ratchet is my favorite and only newfangled tool I own. Any time I have a rusty bolt or tight drain plug I adjust the length of the ratchet for more torque.

I have a set of tools that were my grandfathers and his fathers. It included a set of three "monkey wrenches" from the late 1800s, I use the smallest of those when I need to keep a nut or bolt from moving while loosening the other end. And there's less "screw slop" than crescent wrenches, although the locking jaw on the one above this post takes care of that.

That is an awesomely glorious tool. If it were mine, I'd put the sucker in a nice case and hang it on the wall.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009

Kynetx posted:

That is an awesomely glorious tool. If it were mine, I'd put the sucker in a nice case and hang it on the wall.

The largest one is on display in my garage, think Team Fortress 2 engineer sized. I am afraid of channeling my grandpa's virulent anti-Japanese rage and beating the poo poo out of my Subaru with it if the headgasket goes out or something. Spy's sappin' my subaru*THUNK*

Goon-tool post: Grandpa brought back some Japanese officer items from the war, such as katanas. Those are not mine, although I'll likely receive one as a gift. The standard goones possession list seems to be a katana, cargo pants and a 1986 Japanese car so I suppose I'll have to accept it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

CornHolio posted:

Here's where I buy my new proto tools:

http://www.grainger.com

http://www.mscdirect.com

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Anyone seen these in-store? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94421 I just saw them in the lastest sale circular (though they're not on sale :wtf:).

Looks like a nice alternative to my electrical-tape-wrapped sockets, or is there something better to use for lug nuts that won't mar wheels?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm gonna attempt to clean up my rusty exhaust by taking care of the rust, taking off the chrome from the non-rusty parts, and painting the whole thing flat black (which I've wanted to do anyway).

What's the best way of getting the chrome off? I was thinking of hitting it with a wire wheel, using a Dremel for the stubborn parts, and finishing off with some sandpaper to smooth it all down.

I'll have access to a drill and a bench grinder.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

meatpimp posted:

Anyone seen these in-store? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94421 I just saw them in the lastest sale circular (though they're not on sale :wtf:).

Looks like a nice alternative to my electrical-tape-wrapped sockets, or is there something better to use for lug nuts that won't mar wheels?

I have this set http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40035 which isn't high torque but similar (who uses an impact gun on their lug nuts though??). It's a great set--use one of the 20% off coupons to knock the price down a bit. The sockets are surprisingly heavy and decent quality for Harbor Freight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

Edit: Is there a product out there to somehow check the calibration of a torque wrench? I've got some work coming up that I'd like to know it's accurate, but I also know I abused the wrench before I knew better.

Use a double-ended socket and test it against a known good torque wrench. The advice I keep getting is to buy a cheap beam-style wrench (like the $10 Harbor Freight one) and only take it out of the case to calibrate others.