Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

Kotaru posted:

Looks like the flywheel has left the building. I think it was that silver disc bouncing down the track at 100mph after the explosion.

This was my first thought too after seeing the final shots of the carnage. The people in the Streetfire comments seem to think it was due to weak motor mounts but come on, it's Streetfire.

Edit: Holy crap, did the flywheel beat the Focus?

D. melanogaster fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

D. melanogaster posted:

It didn't even pass it from the looks of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

D. melanogaster posted:

Well that Focus is a lot heavier, due to insane beltlines and mandatory safety equipment.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kotaru posted:

Looks like the flywheel has left the building. I think it was that silver disc bouncing down the track at 100mph after the explosion.

Probably. That dude is lucky the flywheel went forward instead of coming back at the cabin.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

D. melanogaster posted:

This was my first thought too after seeing the final shots of the carnage. The people in the Streetfire comments seem to think it was due to weak motor mounts but come on, it's Streetfire.

My thought was an exploded transmission sending the motor flying breaking the mounts.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

D C posted:

My thought was an exploded transmission sending the motor flying breaking the mounts.

When they first get an up close shot of the aftermath you can see the bellhousing has been shattered and the entire flywheel/clutch assembly is missing. The radiator support is bent away from that area of the car from an outward explosion.

High RPM + lovely bolts/unbalanced assembly is what I'm thinking. That kind of force could gut everything in its path. I think there was a video a couple pages back of a small block on an engine dyno that sent its flywheel through a few walls/metal cabinets when it failed.

Edit:
All I can find is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pz1PkhAo8

"I'm FREE!"

and this;

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80533

Makes me nervous about putting on my new chromoly flywheel in my mr2.

Kotaru fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 27, 2010

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
From that streetfire link: The California, Ferrari's last with a stick? That blows cuz rowing our own gears makes us feel like big men

AI: rowing our own gears makes us feel like big men

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

4.3 Chevy intake gasket gone bad :911:

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Good lord, my volvo builds up something that looks exactly like that on the oil cap. Yet the oil comes out the standard black (grayish from excess gas, short trips) That looks nasty as hell.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

ExtremeODD posted:

Good lord, my volvo builds up something that looks exactly like that on the oil cap. Yet the oil comes out the standard black (grayish from excess gas, short trips) That looks nasty as hell.

That's probably just from condensation. No biggie, do you drive a lot of short trips?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
did you fill your radiator with nacho cheese or something

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It looks like melted coffee ice cream or something. Like he tried to lube his engine with a frappachino.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leperflesh posted:

It looks like melted coffee ice cream or something. Like he tried to lube his engine with a frappachino.

Oil+water heated and mixed for a while will give you a nice mocha colored colloid. Lucky its just an IM gasket and not a head gone sour.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rscott posted:

did you fill your radiator with nacho cheese or something

Looks like fondue to me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
actually you know what it really really looks like

that garlic sauce they give you at papa johns with their breadsticks (which makes sense because that's oil and water too)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

4.3 Chevy intake gasket gone bad

Good ole GM and their loving plastic intake gaskets. Done more that a few of them in my career.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Joe Mama posted:

Good ole GM and their loving plastic intake gaskets. Done more that a few of them in my career.

I talked to a local guy that worked at some GM dealership, he said book labor was something like 4 hours for those and headgaskets or whatever but he did em in 45 minutes or so. I guess he had a little practice...

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
What the fuckin poo poo is that thing in the lifter valley?
Balance shaft?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

scapulataf posted:

Balance shaft?

Yoghurt mixer.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Kotaru posted:

Edit:
All I can find is this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pz1PkhAo8

"I'm FREE!"

I know this has been mentioned before, but I'll never get tired of that announcer.

"Just quickly, has anyone in the crowd been hit with anything? Awww shoot, just when you need some blood and guts"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

scapulataf posted:

Balance shaft?

yep, instead of you know.. balancing everything from the factory they were lazy.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

ratbert90 posted:

yep, instead of you know.. balancing everything from the factory they were lazy.

Has nothing to do with balance of rotating assembly.

wikipedia posted:

While an optimally designed V6 engine would have a 60 degree angle between the two banks of cylinders, many current V6 engines are derived from older V8 engines, which have a 90 degree angle between the two banks of cylinders. While this provides for an evenly spaced firing order in an 8 cylinder engine, in a six cylinder engine this results in a loping rhythm, where during each rotation of the crankshaft three cylinders fire at 90 degree intervals, followed by a gap of 90 degrees with no power pulse. This can be eliminated by using a more complex, and expensive, crankshaft which alters the relationship between the cylinders in the two banks to give an effective 60 degree difference, but recently many manufacturers have found it more economical to adapt the balance shaft concept, using a single shaft with counterweights spaced so as to provide a vibration which cancels out the shake inherent in the 90 degree V6.

link

ab0z fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 31, 2010

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

ab0z posted:

Straight 6 for ever :cool:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Whitey Ford posted:

Straight 6 for ever :cool:

Wankel :colbert:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

scapulataf posted:

Balance shaft?

You know that part in Aliens when bishop gets ripped in half by the Queen? This is the automotive equivalent of that scene.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ab0z posted:

link

so it's just poorly designed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ratbert90 posted:

so it's just poorly designed.

A good solution for a real engineering problem (making v6 blocks from existing v8 tooling).

Even some I-4s that you seem to be a fan of use balance shafts.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Holy poo poo look how dirty the heads are on the right side of that motor.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Bob Morales posted:

trouser chili posted:

That's probably just from condensation. No biggie, do you drive a lot of short trips?

Saw these two posts/picture together. Busted out laughing.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Crazed_Capybara_Rider posted:

And your rear end

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

loving 2000 Durango. Shittiest thing I ever owned. I put a new rear end in, a new transfer case, and then the transmission blew. :argh:

So what happened with the pinion? Did your Durango try to pole vault on the front of the rear driveshaft when the TC gave out?

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

orange lime posted:

Wankel :colbert:
I can't argue that if we're talking balance.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

A good solution for a real engineering problem (making v6 blocks from existing v8 tooling).

Even some I-4s that you seem to be a fan of use balance shafts.

Eh, I understand it saves money, I just don't think that bad design is something that should ever be excused. I hate balance shafts, I really do, and putting them in I-4's is even worse as they shouldn't need them at all.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, I understand it saves money, I just don't think that bad design is something that should ever be excused.
Ok, let's design in a vacuum and let the company go out of business.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, let's design in a vacuum and let the company go out of business.

I'm fine with them going out of business. They have had 102 loving years to get things right, and they STILL haven't.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Leperflesh posted:

I was going to say country chicken gravy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I'm fine with them going out of business. They have had 102 loving years to get things right, and they STILL haven't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine
You act like they put that motor out yesterday.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

4.3 Chevy intake gasket gone bad :911:

I just did the same thing on a 3800, luckily it hadn't gotten that bad yet.
Those drat plastic gaskets suck.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine
You act like they put that motor out yesterday.

your right, they only had 97 years to get it right when the 3800 was out. My bad.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ratbert90 posted:

Eh, I understand it saves money, I just don't think that bad design is something that should ever be excused. I hate balance shafts, I really do, and putting them in I-4's is even worse as they shouldn't need them at all.

Yeah those Porsche guys especially, when will they learn how to build cars.

I was under the impression that balance shafts aren't just for compensating for a builder- or design-created imbalance across the crank and rods, they create an opposite wave pattern that cancels the resonance of the crank. Engines without balance shafts don't need them not because their rotating mass is built "better" but because the crank's vibration is being compensated for another way, perhaps with a harmonic balancer, a reduced redline or simply being overbuilt and letting the bulk damp it.

e: nevermind, realized who I was arguing with :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Yeah those Porsche guys especially, when will they learn how to build cars.

I was under the impression that balance shafts aren't just for compensating for a builder- or design-created imbalance across the crank and rods, they create an opposite wave pattern that cancels the resonance of the crank. Engines without balance shafts don't need them not because their rotating mass is built "better" but because the crank's vibration is being compensated for another way, perhaps with a harmonic balancer, a reduced redline or simply being overbuilt and letting the bulk damp it.

e: nevermind, realized who I was arguing with :jerkbag:

you seem to misunderstand me. I don't hate any particular company, and am not a rabid fanboy of any motor/make/company.

If anything, I just like well built motors. If they have problems I don't care who it is. GM/Ford/Toyota/Honda/anybody else.

There are great engines of all the companies out there also. Era specific sure, but good engines non-theless.

Why is that so hard to comprehend to some people? I don't like balance shafts, Honda hasn't used them, no harmonic balancer, 7200rpm redline, and not really overbuilt at all.

My 3sge doesn't have them, again, high redline and not overbuilt. Also very quiet, even with a 2 inch exhaust.

To me, every engine I have worked on that HAD a balance shaft wasn't properly designed. Weather or not this is a huge issue in the long run of things isn't the issue. To me and what I think it just screams bad engineering and I shouldn't touch the motor. Thats all.