Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Before I start highlighting this bitch, do the colours look ok? It's my variation on the Nordland Blue/Yellow.

(White primer was a success this time, thanks to the tips from PV)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Look poppin, as only white primer does :D. white prime owns time qtiyd

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think you should use green for both the feathers and the laurels but other than that it's looking nice.

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:

Fyrbrand posted:

This is my monthly "washes own, best thing GW's put out in years" post, qtiyd

Also, anyone know a place to get cheap cart wheels, around the same size as the ones in the empire cannon/mortar kit?

edit:

richyp posted:

Before I start highlighting this bitch, do the colours look ok? It's my variation on the Nordland Blue/Yellow.

Colours look great :)

Spacefrog fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 27, 2010

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Woops posted in the other thread, didn't notice this one.

Click here for the full 916x687 image.

Made a greater chaos demon, kind of sloppy with the green stuff but I'm happy (first time using it). I'll probably mess with it a little more.

Kinda hard to tell but I cut out its stomach and filled it with skulls, cause hey, that's pretty chaos.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thats a pretty sweet use of the extra Stegadon head, nice job. Some of the greenstuff looks a bit rough, especially the transitions to regular plastic. You did say that you were still working, you can probably sand or fill for a smoother border.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
I said it was top heavy before. I didn't mean that it's unbalanced, I mean it looks goofy. His head is loving huge and he has a skinny rear end body.

I really like the stomach full of skulls, but the proportions are still a little comical.

Who cares though, it's chaos.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Zombie #246 posted:

Woops posted in the other thread, didn't notice this one.

Click here for the full 916x687 image.

Made a greater chaos demon, kind of sloppy with the green stuff but I'm happy (first time using it). I'll probably mess with it a little more.

Kinda hard to tell but I cut out its stomach and filled it with skulls, cause hey, that's pretty chaos.

Get some fine grit sandpaper. The kind you use to finish with (microfine grit is best), and a wool buffer. Sand the rough parts on the green stuff smooth, then buff out to get a nice, seamless blend.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

richyp posted:

After a quick test in photoshop I think orange feathers would look better as they contrast the blue but doesn't clash with the yellow. Also make the feathers multi-tonal, few birds have feathers of unbroken colour.

http://www.islandemu.com.au/orange-emu-feathers-pi-106.html

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

richyp posted:

How'd you do the yellow and blue on this? It looks really good.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Catfishenfuego posted:

The best way to do yellow for me is Iyanden Darksun, wash with Sepia, highlight with golden yellow and then extreme highlight with sunburst yellow.

Keep the yellow very thin and resign yourself to painting a lot of layers.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Catfishenfuego posted:

On white it's, VMC Sand Yellow and a Sepia Wash. Blue is Mordian + Ice blue, no highlights or wash.

It'll likely be lighter for both after highlights. I'll see what orange feathers look like later when I get back to my hovel/painting room.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

richyp posted:

On white it's, VMC Sand Yellow and a Sepia Wash. Blue is Mordian + Ice blue, no highlights or wash.

It'll likely be lighter for both after highlights. I'll see what orange feathers look like later when I get back to my hovel/painting room.

Hmmm, not sure about the orange:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Brightened it a bit so I can see some details. I love it so far yeah the orange needs more highlights

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think it looks like it needs to be more orange. :haw: It's kind of red at the moment.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I liked it better green. Now it's distracting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

crime fighting hog posted:

Brightened it a bit so I can see some details. I love it so far yeah the orange needs more highlights

The highlights are fine, it just needs to be darklined and maybe shaded a bit darker towards the hat

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think it's highlighted ENOUGH! :science:

Especially the blue and the horse. They both look fairly plain, maybe just do to the picture, a bit more dramatic of a highlight will really get them to pop.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hell Diver posted:

I don't think it's highlighted ENOUGH! :science:

Especially the blue and the horse. They both look fairly plain, maybe just do to the picture, a bit more dramatic of a highlight will really get them to pop.

It's not really highlighted yet anyway :)

I always go overboard with highlights, thats just basecoat, one layer and a wash. As for the orange, I'm still torn as I preferred the green too.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

richyp posted:

I always go overboard with highlights, thats just basecoat, one layer and a wash. As for the orange, I'm still torn as I preferred the green too.

Oh my, I thought you had highlighted it. :ohdear:

Carry on then, soldier.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

richyp posted:

Orange looks a lot better.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
How do y'all recommend highlighting Blood Red to make it 'pop' without making it look pink or more orangey than it already is?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

uncle jimbo posted:

How do y'all recommend highlighting Blood Red to make it 'pop' without making it look pink or more orangey than it already is?

Shade with purple. I just push my darks really far and take the red up to.. uh, I guess like blood red? Then edge with yellow or orange.

I think I usually use:

Base- Gory Red
Shade- Imperial Blue/Sombre Grey
Highlight- Bloody Red
Edge Highlight- Sunblast Yellow with a tip of Bloody Red

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Also, you can highlight by mixing dwarf flesh w blood red, or mixing orange and white into the red, so it doesnt get too pink or orange. Thin edge highlights

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Mix bleached bone with blood red

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My oath is nearly done, just some washing and the claws to do no pretty much. And the base... not sure where I'm going with that.

Claws... green, turquoise, or blue ?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Hawk Turq

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

green with lightning if you can. It'll offset everything else.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

crime fighting hog posted:

green with lightning if you can. It'll offset everything else.

Seconding this. Blue or turquoise won't stand out enough from the power armour.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Green lightning it is then. Which is nice as it echoes the power weapons on my old Wolves.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Claws... green, turquoise, or blue ?

White to yellow to red to brown like a heating element

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

sniktsniktbubsniktbubbubsniktbubsniktsniktsniktbubbubsniktbubbubsnikt

I ain't finished with you yet, bub.

bubbubsniktbubsniktsniktbubsniktbubbubsniktsniktsniktbubbubbubsniktbub

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

sniktsniktbubsniktbubbubsniktbubsniktsniktsniktbubbubsniktbubbubsnikt

I ain't finished with you yet, bub.

bubbubsniktbubsniktsniktbubsniktbubbubsniktsniktsniktbubbubbubsniktbub

he's the best at what he does.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
Can someone far more experienced than me go over the plusses and minuses of Gesso vs. Spray Primer when it comes to the actual painting process?

I understand the benefits as far as convenience vs. coverage and whatnot, but when it comes to paint are they basically the same? I hate spray primers because of the pooling and the general hassle of dealing with them, but I want to make sure Gesso isn't going to affect my paintjobs in the long run.

Also - is Gesso... mixable? I got a gray gesso for painting Menoth in Warmachine and it's slightly darker than I like - can I just mix it with a little white to thin the color out like paint?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

sicarius posted:

Questions about gesso

When you paint atop of gesso, you have in my experience two things that are different than with a simple spray primer: one, the base coat is slightly more elastic, which is handy for metal models. It's harder to chip, in other words.
The other difference is texture. Gesso has less "tooth" to it, which can be a bitch on wide, flat areas.

As for mixing gesso, it should be okay. The only difference between the colors of gesso are, of course, the pigments.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

sicarius posted:

Can someone far more experienced than me go over the plusses and minuses of Gesso vs. Spray Primer when it comes to the actual painting process?

I understand the benefits as far as convenience vs. coverage and whatnot, but when it comes to paint are they basically the same? I hate spray primers because of the pooling and the general hassle of dealing with them, but I want to make sure Gesso isn't going to affect my paintjobs in the long run.

Also - is Gesso... mixable? I got a gray gesso for painting Menoth in Warmachine and it's slightly darker than I like - can I just mix it with a little white to thin the color out like paint?

If you're pooling your spray primer you're probably holding down the nozzle too long. I've never had any pooling issues and I use cheap 99c poo poo!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Anphrax posted:

If you're pooling your spray primer you're probably holding down the nozzle too long. I've never had any pooling issues and I use cheap 99c poo poo!

Seconding this, you should never spray for more than a fraction of a second or something stupid like that.

Basically, when you're spraying, aim for:

Psshh... Psshh... Psshh... Psshh...

and not:

PsssssSsSssSsshhhHhhHhhHhhHhhHh

Also, never hold it in one spot, keep moving back and forth with the spray over the model(s) in a kind of sweeping motion.

Lastly, don't feel that you need to cover the whole model in one spraying session. If you've noticed spots you've missed and the model is already heavy with primer, just go do something else and come back and lay down a second coat when they're dry.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

enri posted:

Seconding this, you should never spray for more than a fraction of a second or something stupid like that.

Basically, when you're spraying, aim for:

Psshh... Psshh... Psshh... Psshh...

and not:

PsssssSsSssSsshhhHhhHhhHhhHhhHh

Also, never hold it in one spot, keep moving back and forth with the spray over the model(s) in a kind of sweeping motion.

Lastly, don't feel that you need to cover the whole model in one spraying session. If you've noticed spots you've missed and the model is already heavy with primer, just go do something else and come back and lay down a second coat when they're dry.

I agree with this 100%. Short bursts with a sweeping motion. Usually my process, is spray one side, leave it to dry, rotate and repeat until you have primer on most of the surfaces. I wouldn't worry if you miss the hard to get places either as you should really touch the model(s) up with a brush after.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Had a free hour yesterday so I got the urge to paint one of the metal Catachan I had laying around. It was already primed when I got it, so I completely missed the mold line on the back of the rifle. :ssh:

Tried to go for a M-16 style blacked rifle, with the bluing worn off from use. I think it looks pretty neat with minimal effort and looks infinitely better than the bright shiny rear end steel barrels.

Still need to finish his boots, base, and combat knife on his back, but I'm pretty happy with the Time to Result ratio on this guy. Should be able to crank a squad out pretty quickly.

Not completely sold on the camo though, thoughts?

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hell Diver posted:

Had a free hour yesterday so I got the urge to paint one of the metal Catachan I had laying around. It was already primed when I got on it, so I completely missed the mold line on the back of the rifle. :ssh:

Tried to go for a M-16 style blacked rifle, with the bluing worn off from use. I think it looks pretty neat with minimal effort and looks infinitely better than the bright shiny rear end steel barrels.

Still need to finish his boots, base, and combat knife on his back, but I'm pretty happy with the Time to Result ratio on this guy. Should be able to crank a squad out pretty quickly.

Not completely sold on the camo though, thoughts?

He is glorious, loving the flesh-tones.

• Locked thread