Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

IntoTheNihil posted:

Dark Funeral :|

That's just bad.

But I can understand why you like that type (with being a big death metal fan and not a black metal fan)

Dark Funeral are really really bad. Seeing them live is hilarious. Bunch of fat middle aged dudes in armor with receding hair lines and corpse paint to cover up their huge foreheads.

I haven't really found too many newer black metal bands that excite me. Akercocke are great satanic BM if you haven't heard them yet. Anaal Nathrakh are good if you like a bit of electronic tinge to your BM (think newer Satyricon but not horrible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ObsidianConspiracy posted:

Anaal Nathrakh ... Satyricon.

I don't see this comparison at allllll...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

QPZIL posted:

They're both poo poo, so they have that in common.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBling posted:

They're both poo poo, so they have that in common.

They both started out good, so they have that in common.

(Eschaton and Nemesis Divina were good albums)

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Dark Funeral are really really bad. Seeing them live is hilarious. Bunch of fat middle aged dudes in armor with receding hair lines and corpse paint to cover up their huge foreheads.

Then you'll LOVE this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVodXzNmPM

:ughh:

QPZIL posted:

They both started out good, so they have that in common.

(Eschaton and Nemesis Divina were good albums)

That's about right. I don't think that Anaal Nathrakh have become nearly as bad as Satyricon has in recent days, though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

lol_internet posted:

The Google ads are really the best part.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ronnie Spector
Dec 4, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
Shooting on digital video is probably one of the least black metal things

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Qu Appelle posted:

The Google ads are really the best part.

Ha! I never noticed that, I was watching full screen. Google really does know how to ruin a video don't they? Not that "My Funeral" wasn't already terrible from the start.

Ronnie Spector posted:

Shooting on digital video is probably one of the least black metal things

I know man. Where the gently caress's the VHS tape blurriness and incomprehensibly vague imagery?! :colbert:

And for that matter, no self-respecting BM artist would put a warning at the beginning of their video! Caring about the feelings of your audience is highly un-grim.

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

lol_internet posted:

That's about right. I don't think that Anaal Nathrakh have become nearly as bad as Satyricon has in recent days, though.

Oh I've seen that video before. It's quite comical and not in a good way (re: Immortal - Call of the Wintermoon)

ObsidianConspiracy
Mar 27, 2010

QPZIL posted:

You don't hear the electronic influence on an album like Volcano or The Age of Nero? They're pretty similar at least in terms of their more recent output.

ResonanceCascade
Apr 28, 2009
I can't get into any other black metal bands than Peste Noire and Burzum. And what is with the bad synth stuff on the Windir albums? Maybe I should stop looking for more.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

ResonanceCascade posted:

I can't get into any other black metal bands than Peste Noire and Burzum. And what is with the bad synth stuff on the Windir albums? Maybe I should stop looking for more.

Get some Amesoeurs into you if you like Peste!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

if you like a bit of electronic tinge to your BM (think newer Satyricon but not horrible).

What the hell is electronic about Anaal Nathrakh? Well, aside from the best example of machine drums in metal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

ResonanceCascade posted:

You might be right

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

ResonanceCascade posted:

Check out Mortifera, both pretty similar. I'm seeing Alcest in NYC in April, check that guy out too, some good poo poo right there.

Ronnie Spector
Dec 4, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The new Alcest is boring as gently caress btw

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

You don't hear the electronic influence on an album like Volcano or The Age of Nero? They're pretty similar at least in terms of their more recent output.

BM has always been influenced by electronic music. I don't see why it's anything to get worked up about I mean it's been there since the very start.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Ronnie Spector posted:

The new Alcest is boring as gently caress btw

Normally I love Alcest, but drat you're absolutely right. I listened to it and nothing at all jumped out at me and I don't even think it could be even a LITTLE black metal anymore.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

JerryFuckinSeinfeld posted:

Check out Mortifera, both pretty similar. I'm seeing Alcest in NYC in April, check that guy out too, some good poo poo right there.

I'd love to see them, too bad no one good comes to Australia! Still waiting for that Mayhem tour of 2008 to be re-announced :|

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Normally I love Alcest, but drat you're absolutely right. I listened to it and nothing at all jumped out at me and I don't even think it could be even a LITTLE black metal anymore.

What's the obsession with complaining that Alcest isn't BM? For one the whole intention of Alcest is NOT to be black metal, if Souvenirs wasn't a big enough indicator for some people. And secondly who cares if it's not BM? enjoy(or not) for what it is.

If you could shed some light onto this I'd appreciate it.

Cold Day fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 30, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Cold Day posted:

What's the obsession with complaining that Alcest isn't BM? For one the whole intention of Alcest is NOT to be black metal, if Souvenirs wasn't a big enough indicator for some people. And secondly who cares if it's not BM? enjoy(or not) for what it is.

If you could shed some light onto this I'd appreciate it.

I don't care that they're not BM at all. I'm just saying with this album they're even further from Black Metal than normal.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

So I got The book of the heretic som time ago and I've been thinking about getting more Countess albums. So where do I go from here? I like The book of... quite a lot overall but not the entire album.
Also, Holocaust of the god believers doesn't seem to get much love around here but if I really enjoyed the title track would it be worth getting?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't care that they're not BM at all. I'm just saying with this album they're even further from Black Metal than normal.
Actually the first couple of songs could pass for BM, at least moreso than Souvenirs. I liked the new album, but if I went in expecting BM I probably wouldn't.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

So I got The book of the heretic som time ago and I've been thinking about getting more Countess albums. So where do I go from here? I like The book of... quite a lot overall but not the entire album.
Also, Holocaust of the god believers doesn't seem to get much love around here but if I really enjoyed the title track would it be worth getting?

The only album that doesn't really sound like typical Countess is the first one and "Shining swords of hate" all the rest are more or less equal on the quality scales.

Shining swords is really good though, it just isn't the typical thing that Orlok normally does.

edit: that didn't really answer your question at all. Yes, you should get all the Countess albums. The official site has two songs from each album available though so you should be able to find out what you like fairly easily.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
So I listened to the Frontier demo while fairly drunk and immediately proclaimed it album of the year. It still holds up pretty well when sober. They remind me a bit of Altar of Plagues.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I just recently expanded my Countess collection to the complete studio discography so I haven't really absorbed everything yet. Blazing Flames of War, Spawn of Steel, and Holocaust of the God Believers are all top notch albums. The Revenge of the Horned One Part 2 is about half good half lame. I haven't listen to enough of the other stuff to comment on it yet.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

So I listened to the Frontier demo while fairly drunk and immediately proclaimed it album of the year. It still holds up pretty well when sober. They remind me a bit of Altar of Plagues.

I assume it's the songs off their myspace? Gave them a spin. Nice harmonics in parts but though it sounded all right (I wasn't concentrating on it that much) didn't grab me right away. Then again neither did Altar of Plagues.

Speaking of Altar of Plagues, thanks to EvilMoJoJoJo's prodding, I splurged and got one of these:

"Tides will be released in April via Burning World records on both cd & vinyl. The vinyl will be presented on 180g wax in a deluxe gatefold package, and the first 100 copies will include a limited photo-booklet featuring photography by James Kelly.”
http://www.burningworldrecords.com/lp_book/altar_of_plagues/burning_world_records/tides_ep_lp_pre_order.2465.html

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

MrBling posted:

Haggins posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna try to get a hold of Holocaust of the god believers and one of the early albums.

Have som dudes staying true to extreme metal and cheesy videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0yDlLhzXg

Jere
Dec 25, 2007
So the Inferno festival is kicking off in Oslo today, and I recommend everyone in the area to see my friend's band Svarttjern play on Thursday! Along with all the other great bands playing, obviously.

http://www.infernofestival.net/festival/news.aspx

http://www.myspace.com/svarttjern

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ah, Inferno. Went there 2008 when i lived in Oslo. Saw a lot of good bands I hadn't heard of even though I only went for the first two days. Wish I could go but gently caress it's expensive and you have to find some place to sleep.

One can always go through the band list and their respective myspaces though :black101:

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Looking forward to seeing Shining and Kvelertak at Inferno in a couple of hours...

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
Inferno lineup is poo poo this year.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

I got a shirt printed with my modified Leviathan design. Art is available if you want it.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Found this image while going through my camera from the Immortal concert I went to Friday in Hollywood. They still got that grimness.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

catbread.jpg posted:

I got a shirt printed with my modified Leviathan design. Art is available if you want it.

Nice one, looks good.

Would be interested in having one of my own

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

catbread.jpg posted:

I have a question for you - could I get your e-mail address?

(that wasn't the question)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

QPZIL posted:

I have a question for you - could I get your e-mail address?

(that wasn't the question)

Post your email and I can contact you.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

catbread.jpg posted:

Post your email and I can contact you.

nothing to see here

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I was sifting through Encyclopedia Metallum last night looking for bands that sounded like Altar of Plagues, and holy poo poo there are a lot of REALLY bad one man bands out there.

That shirt looks loving killer by the way, everyone's gotta have one or two shirts that aren't black.

Horrorca
Mar 24, 2010
After much anticipation, I finally acquired/listened to the two new Velvet Cacoon albums and they’re awesome.

P aa opal Poere Pr. 33 is Velvet Caccon at their most Black Metal, with dense and hypnotic riffs, and an atmosphere that swallows you whole.

Atropine is a bleak and meditative ambient/drone double album in the vein of Genevieve’s last track, Bete Noir. Total aural dissociative.

I also got the 2006 Ash Pool demo, Genital Tomb, which, as expected, is filthy and violent as gently caress.

And last but not least, I got Peter Beste’s True Norwegian Black Metal book, and it’s great. Lots of killer pictures in it (you’ve probably seen all the most famous ones already), including one unexpected Furze shot of Woe J. Reaper walking on a highway with his scythe. Which reminds me that the last Furze album is a lo-fi, psychedelic (!) Black Metal masterpiece, everyone should listen to at least a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
Strange, I was just reading about Velvet Cacoon. I am trying to figure out if I am the only one noticing that the track Flouvonne is basically just the last riff to Emperor's "Cosmic Keys to my Creations & Times".

It's pretty obvious and I thought it would have been mentioned somewhere given their history of plagarism, but I can't find anything.