Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

their called nanuels you ingrates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Our Lord and Savior Nanuel.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Mincher posted:

I'm not very good.

I'm improving but drat do I suck! One thing that constantly bothers me is the everyday manual. I understand the concept, the way your weight should be and controlling the board but man, I just end up flapping around like a guy caught in his own little loving tornado.

Is it just a trial/error, do it 'til you can, sort of thing or is there something i'm missing that lets everyone else hold their poise whilst I spaz out?

God drat...

Skateboarding for the most part is just muscle memory, which in this case is trying a trick hundreds of times before even landing it once. Manuals are all about even weight distribution and easing into the position where you're balanced above the board. My suggestion is just to try the combination of bending your knees for adjustment as well as tilting your shoulders, eventually you'll get a natural feel for where everything needs to be.

But then there's ollie manuals which is a whole different beast. :byodood:

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

And then there are nose manual in which you have to lean way the gently caress forward :o !

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Thanks guys! I'll keep at them.

I can nose manual maybe a foot or two, the hardest thing being keeping the board going in a straight line.

As for ollie manuals, I can land in position but go into spaz mode pretty quickly!

I'll try using my knees a little more to control the damned contraption and hopefully won't overdo it in either direction.

I really wish I could afford a video camera to record my progress.

EDIT: ALL HAIL NANUEL!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Minimaul posted:

And then there are nose manual in which you have to lean way the gently caress forward :o !

One of my favorite things to do on smooth pavement is get a deep nose manual and actually slide the nose along the cement for as long as I can. It's never for very long though :shobon:

Yesterday I was almost landing three-flips but they were basically 270-flips. Soon they shall be conquered. I've also been working on popping into manuals instead of just dipping back/forward and loving hell it's hard to do.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
A million youtube videos by some kids should be enough to tell you why you're landing 270. U NEED MOAR SCOOP!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Sirkus posted:

A million youtube videos by some kids should be enough to tell you why you're landing 270. U NEED MOAR SCOOP!

I KNOW WHAT I NEED DAMMIT

Mostly I just need a new deck. The nose and tail are all so ground down that every time I get kissed by the end of the deck it draws blood.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I got a good deal on some Studio decks (local company in Montreal) that I couldn't pass on. Now every time I get mad at my board I threaten to switch it up prematurely. It is oh-so-tempting despite the fact that the Skate Mental is essentially brand new.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

a light shower happened while i was out riding and caused me to fall spectacularly while going down the entrance to my complex. i can't walk properly right now due to massive hip bruising and maybe a concussion. i also managed to get some huge unexplained blood blisters on the tips of my fingers while i was at it.

pray to the skateboard gods for my swift recovery!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mest0r posted:

Skateboarding for the most part is just muscle memory, which in this case is trying a trick hundreds of times before even landing it once. Manuals are all about even weight distribution and easing into the position where you're balanced above the board. My suggestion is just to try the combination of bending your knees for adjustment as well as tilting your shoulders, eventually you'll get a natural feel for where everything needs to be.

But then there's ollie manuals which is a whole different beast. :byodood:

Yeah, just do it over and over again. You will scrape your knees and/or palms up.

Zizzyx posted:

a light shower happened while i was out riding and caused me to fall spectacularly while going down the entrance to my complex. i can't walk properly right now due to massive hip bruising and maybe a concussion. i also managed to get some huge unexplained blood blisters on the tips of my fingers while i was at it.

pray to the skateboard gods for my swift recovery!

Head injuries are no loving joke. People might talk a lot of poo poo, but it's worth it to wear a helmet. You can put neosporin on road rash and set a broken bone, but a traumatic brain injury can become your homie for life. I've bailed hard enough to have whiplash for several days, and I would be dead right now if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I'd rather look like a fag, wear a helmet and live to skate another day instead of literally ending up retarded. It's your call, but I personally don't gently caress with head injuries after seeing what they can do to someone. You might get away with a knot and a concussion, or your might end up needing assistance to walk and forgetting how to speak english. If you feel nauseous or oddly tired, go to the ER. A head injury can kill you several hours after the fact so go to the doctor if you're the least bit suspicious something is wrong.

Zizzyx
Sep 18, 2007

INTERGALACTIC CAN CHAMPION

DELETED posted:

Yeah, just do it over and over again. You will scrape your knees and/or palms up.

Head injuries are no loving joke. People might talk a lot of poo poo, but it's worth it to wear a helmet. You can put neosporin on road rash and set a broken bone, but a traumatic brain injury can become your homie for life. I've bailed hard enough to have whiplash for several days, and I would be dead right now if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I'd rather look like a fag, wear a helmet and live to skate another day instead of literally ending up retarded. It's your call, but I personally don't gently caress with head injuries after seeing what they can do to someone. You might get away with a knot and a concussion, or your might end up needing assistance to walk and forgetting how to speak english. If you feel nauseous or oddly tired, go to the ER. A head injury can kill you several hours after the fact so go to the doctor if you're the least bit suspicious something is wrong.

thanks for the advice. i think i got lucky this time but it was really unsettling, it felt like i was skidding on the back of my head. it's the day after and it feels like i just got a bit of a scrape there. my hip and the finger blisters i'm worried more about at this point. gently caress water, though.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007
I wound up taking my 36" sector 9 on my United flight to San Diego. No one even blinked at it and it stowed very comfortably in the overhead bin. Totally worth it, and absolutely hassle free.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I don't remember if I posted about it in this topic

I'd rather have a piece of equipment absorb that instead my skull

I was skating a hill I've skated many, many times. Nice smooth pavement, perfect for carving and sliding. Anyway, I start throwing a hard toeside carve at about 15-20 tops. I hit a sneaky rock which kicked the rear end loose, felt like a standup slide but I'm pretty sure my back wheels weren't even on the ground. The tail or the wheel hit the curb and stopped the board in its tracks. I kept rotating a bit, landed with my left buttcheek first, which in turn snapped my head back against the pavement. HARD. Fortunately I was wearing my helmet so I was fine other than a slight headache. The noise was incredible. I went out to dinner with my family that night, which seemed much more enjoyable than going to the hospital/morgue would have been. I was alone and in a really out of the way area so if I was knocked unconscious I would have been there a while. Its a pretty drat good helmet, a little light on the protection but it definitely did its job there. It's a lighter helmet designed to withstand multiple weaker impacts, as opposed to a traditional helmet that's really only safe for one good impact. It's a trade off, less weight but less protection. For general longboarding and street skating, something like this might work fine, but you have to decide for yourself. For serious downhill stuff, you should have a fullface helmet for sure. The chinbar could save your life.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 1, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

After a huge fall like that, I'd actually consider replacing the helmet.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
I emailed the manufacturer, and they told me that as long as the shell isn't cracked or damaged it's fine. It uses a multi-impact foam that's not as protective as a standard foam helmet.

http://www.triple8.com/shop/product/Triple-Eight-Brainsaver-Rubber-Helmet-with-Sweatsaver-Liner

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
I remember when I was younger i used to hate wearing a helmet, but now at 24 I think about buying one everytime I go to a bowl. I wouldn't ever wear it for the street poo poo I do, but I'm pretty terrible in pools and concrete scares the poo poo out of me. I've had 3 concussions in my life and they're terrifying. One was from a stair set when I was a teen and over-rotated on a 180 and smacked my head against a pillar when my wheels locked up. Another was from a snowboarding accident and the last was from a mosh pit. I really only worry about smacking my head in bowls though, but freak poo poo happens. I guess im just saying that helmets look goofy only until you consider how goofy drool looks after you suffer freak brain damage. Head injuries are no joke.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
I've got a Bern Macon helmet that I don't wear nearly often enough.

I love the way it fits and highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

Mincher posted:

I'm not very good.

I'm improving but drat do I suck! One thing that constantly bothers me is the everyday manual. I understand the concept, the way your weight should be and controlling the board but man, I just end up flapping around like a guy caught in his own little loving tornado.

Is it just a trial/error, do it 'til you can, sort of thing or is there something i'm missing that lets everyone else hold their poise whilst I spaz out?

God drat...

hey dude I know this was last page but I remember manuals were incredibly frustrating to me back when I leaned them. I know that it sounds like bullshit but any type of manual trick, be it just riding them out flat or ollieing into or out of them just takes practice. I will say though that once you learn the trick you'll never forget it. I've taken months off the board and when I jump back on manuals are one of the first tricks I recover.
Also, a good way to learn the balance is to do them down a slight incline. If you have a hill that doesnt get you going to quickly you can learn to hold them for an indefinite amount of time because your speed pretty much stays constant. Good luck and keep trying.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Shania Twain posted:

hey dude I know this was last page but I remember manuals were incredibly frustrating to me back when I leaned them. I know that it sounds like bullshit but any type of manual trick, be it just riding them out flat or ollieing into or out of them just takes practice. I will say though that once you learn the trick you'll never forget it. I've taken months off the board and when I jump back on manuals are one of the first tricks I recover.
Also, a good way to learn the balance is to do them down a slight incline. If you have a hill that doesnt get you going to quickly you can learn to hold them for an indefinite amount of time because your speed pretty much stays constant. Good luck and keep trying.

Thanks for this dude. I have actually started improving my manual balance. I found I was far comfier when I brought my front foot back to about an inch behind the bolts.

I think i'll still give the incline idea a try, if not for sustaining speed but for adjusting for flat to downhill transitions in a manual.

The Easter holidays are here, so that means the kids are tearing up the park and generally showing me up at every opportunity. drat kids...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I enjoy that even in text form, a gathering of skateboarders includes copious amounts of the word 'dude'.

Dudes: it's rainy as poo poo in the PacNW. I am so loving glad I discovered that indoor park.

mugsyRocko
Jun 17, 2008
because it is pertinent to the thread title i am posting to say that skateboarding rules and i broke both of my wrists at the skatepark yesterday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The best thing about a broken or sprained wrist is that even if you have one you can still skate for hours after it happened. If I busted both, though, I'd probably go home and make friends with a bag of ice.

RobotEmpire
Dec 8, 2007

mugsyRocko posted:

because it is pertinent to the thread title i am posting to say that skateboarding rules and i broke both of my wrists at the skatepark yesterday.

drat homey

edit: in other news, United was total shitcock bringing my board back. bitch made me check it, then another dude walked up and was like, 'oh, you're not carrying your board on?' I go, 'she's making me check it.' He rolled his eyes but bagged/tagged it anyway. Dumb whore.

DJ Tanuki
Aug 4, 2005
Begins with b and ends with rick!
Finally got my hands on a skateboard and went out today for the first time ever! Still working on footing and balance, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I did learn that I skate goofy and that my driveway is absolutely terrible to skate on. I'm going to go to a quiet parking lot and putter around until I feel comfortable. I did get a little rush when I did a successful kick off. Baby steps!

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

picked up a new board thanks to this thread, I haven't skated since junior high and I haven't had the balls to jump on it yet. Looking forward to it though.

Rockefeller fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 6, 2010

mugsyRocko
Jun 17, 2008

Bucket Joneses posted:

The best thing about a broken or sprained wrist is that even if you have one you can still skate for hours after it happened. If I busted both, though, I'd probably go home and make friends with a bag of ice.

i actually skated for a couple hours afterward, it didn't even occur to me that there might be a fracture until the next morning

edit: spelling

mugsyRocko fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 6, 2010

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

messed around in my driveway, found out i ride goofy. feel a lot more balanced with my right foot forward. I also go backwards when doing tic tacs for some reason.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Rockefeller posted:

messed around in my driveway, found out i ride goofy. feel a lot more balanced with my right foot forward. I also go backwards when doing tic tacs for some reason.

That's just all down to how you set your weight. Lean into your tic-tacs more, with the focus on using your front foot to do all the steering.

Make sure you're comfortable when leaning but don't be afraid to push yourself outside of your comfort zone a little. Most people don't realise how much you can actually lean/pivot without falling.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mincher posted:

That's just all down to how you set your weight. Lean into your tic-tacs more, with the focus on using your front foot to do all the steering.

Make sure you're comfortable when leaning but don't be afraid to push yourself outside of your comfort zone a little. Most people don't realise how much you can actually lean/pivot without falling.

Seriously, bend your knees and see how much you really can stay balanced. You can move your weight around easier when you're moving and everything is nice and relaxed.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Mincher posted:

how do you put your weight forward and simultaneously raise the nose to do it? it seems like I have to put more weight on the back to raise the front which makes the board go backwards a little.

edit: v cheers for the tips

Rockefeller fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 7, 2010

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rockefeller posted:

how do you put your weight forward and simultaneously raise the nose to do it? it seems like I have to put more weight on the back to raise the front which makes the board go backwards a little.

Spread your feet further on the board, putting your front foot between the trucks and the nose. Once you've got the nose raised up, lean more towards the front and press down with your body. Don't just lean; hate the board and push down hard. Once the trucks hit the ground, pump slightly and straighten your legs.

You don't want to lean forwards the whole time, but you do want to minimize the amount of time you're leaning back.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Rockefeller posted:

edit: v cheers for the tips

It might be helpful to think about the back truck/wheels while tic-tacing. It seems that basic principle requires shifting your weight in a manner that causes one wheel of the back truck to move forward while keeping the other wheel semi stationary and using it as a pivot. As a regular footer I tend to start tic-tacing by leaning/turning to my left side using the left back wheel as the pivot point which kind of pushes the right wheel forward a bit. Your front wheels are kept up until you get some movement and then they are put down to kind of stop you from continuing in that direction allowing you to start the same process in the other direction.

This is from memory so I'm not 100% on this being how it works, but this is how it seems to work from behind my desk right now.

One thing I would definitely keep practicing regardless is just trying to hold a manuel in a stationary position or moving. Just trying to keep your balance will show you the movements that can be made by shifting your weight around on the back truck.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

yeah that makes sense, I must be doing something wrong with the weight. the opposite happens when I try and tictac, if I pivot left, my right back wheel stays stationary and the left back wheel moves backwards.

seems a strange thing to be stuck on, I can cruise around town and am getting the hang of flip tricks again, but can't tic tac.

Rockefeller fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 7, 2010

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Rockefeller posted:

yeah that makes sense, I must be doing something wrong with the weight. the opposite happens when I try and tictac, if I pivot left, my right back wheel stays stationary and the left back wheel moves backwards.

seems a strange thing to be stuck on, I can cruise around town and am getting the hang of flip tricks again, but can't tic tac.

I wouldn't worry too much. Like everything in skating, repetitive practice is the key. One day it will click and off you go, tic-tacking like a mother fucker.

I've been stressing out getting a portfolio ready for a university course so I haven't been able to skate much. Now that the interview is over with I'm back in the game!

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Just got back from a local park, went on my lunch break with a couple coworkers.

70 hour work weeks be damned. Even though I am tired as hell and going on 5 hours of sleep, I feel like a million bucks after 15 minutes on the board.

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
So I'm amped that we found an architect that skates to help design the park. Now we just need to find a place large enough. What do you guys think about a park that features spots from around the US recreated so you could hit them without having to fly to a coast?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's a pretty cool idea but I'd focus on three major spots to recreate instead of a bunch. If you can get two or three spots faithfully captured for a park then you'd be in business.

The trick is going to be which spots to recreate and how feasible it is. I don't know if recreating the Embarcadero is exactly going to happen.

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate

Shania Twain posted:

So I'm amped that we found an architect that skates to help design the park. Now we just need to find a place large enough. What do you guys think about a park that features spots from around the US recreated so you could hit them without having to fly to a coast?

This is exactly what the Maloof Money Cup does, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
You don't need to recreate EMB as a whole, or EMB for that matter. I think what Shania Twain is saying is building an obstacle from an area like a bank from the Brooklyn Banks. What would be cool though is if you just made spots that are skate stopped in your town or spots that are 'almost spots' and made them spots at your park.