Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

VikingSkull posted:

^^^ Smokey Yunick blew up an elephant with one, no joke.

It's my favorite ground attack plane of the war, and the first of the 3 great tank busters in history. Not as successful or as plentiful as the other two, but it laid the framework for them. One is the A-10 which we all love, the other is the Su-25 Frogfoot.

This thing doesn't get nearly enough love. 30mm cannon, can carry a ton of poo poo, and has a great Soviet charm. They can do the same things as the A-10, maybe not as well, but it's still maybe the second best CAS aircraft out there.

It can run on diesel and take off and land on muddy dirty runways that aren't even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Slo-Tek posted:

"The Cutlass could be made into a pretty good flying machine with a few modifications, like adding a conventional tail, at least three times the thrust, cutting the nose-wheel in half, completely redoing the flight control system and getting someone else to fly it."

Yeah, but I mean, the thing looks like a goddamn spaceship. That's pretty awesome.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

orange lime posted:

Yeah, but I mean, the thing looks like a goddamn spaceship. That's pretty awesome.

http://www.solaris7.com/gallery/ImageList.asp?Action=FileList&CategoryID=985

I could have sworn some of those ripped it off pretty directly for one feature or another.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

sanchez posted:

How have you never seen a 747? They're everywhere unless you live in the middle of nowhere.

Honestly, I can't recall seeing one in person before, which is funny since I've traveled a bit, but I guess I was never on the lookout for one either. I usually fly out of PDX and I don't think there are many that fly out of there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Slo-Tek posted:

"The Cutlass could be made into a pretty good flying machine with a few modifications, like adding a conventional tail, at least three times the thrust, cutting the nose-wheel in half, completely redoing the flight control system and getting someone else to fly it."

Didn't John McCain crash one of these?

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

It can run on diesel and take off and land on muddy dirty runways that aren't even.

That is astonishing. Wait, can't all turbofan engines burn diesel?

Regardless, being able to operate from primitive conditions is way underrated in combat aircraft.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Can I post a picture that is AI as well as AI?

sorry I just love whoring this picture out

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Chemically, diesel and jet fuel are really similar, but there are a couple of minor differences between the two fuels.

First of all, Jet-A (and Kerosene) are lighter fuels than diesel, and lack some of diesel's lubricating properties.

Jet fuel normally has an anti-bacterial agent mixed in, as well as an anti-icing additive to keep the water in the fuel from freezing and clogging fuel lines and filters. Since those additives aren't normally present in diesel, high altitude operations using it can become problematic, since any water in the fuel will freeze when cold-soaked to -30C.

Some turboprop aircraft actually have the capability to burn 100LL Avgas in an emergency, although doing so imposes all kinds of limitations on the engines, and the lead content of Avgas normally requires a teardown of the engine to inspect for lead deposits or other damage.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 28, 2010

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Technically, I think a turbofan COULD run on any flammable liquid or gas. I remember hearing a story where they ran one of the first jet engines on premium whiskey. You might need some modification, but I think a turbine at operating temperature can run on crude oil thinned by acetone (or something, since it's so thick), or you could hook up a tank of MAPP gas, and I am pretty sure you could fill up on the same pump you fill up your car on.

It would RUN, not saying it wouldn't leave deposits, eat up seals, or freeze at altitude, but it would run.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I ask this because I once talked to an aircraft mechanic in training about this. He told me that commercial aircraft engines could burn just about anything: diesel, gasoline, kerosene, etc. It required changes in the maintenance schedules (because, for example gas burns hotter then jet a1) and obviously you would have to burn more to go the same distance.

This jibed with something else I heard about: that one advantage to German jet fighters in the end of ww2 is that piston engine aircraft had fairly finicky fuel requirements: high performance, high octane, etc. But jet aircraft could make do with any ol' sludge, and get better performance out of it.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

Does anyone else absolutely adore the USCG aircraft paint stripe scheme?

Yes :swoon:

Click here for the full 1200x812 image.

True story: I got to witness one of these absolutely destroy the swimming docks at my summer camp with its rotor wash during a rescue demonstration.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 29, 2010

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

SyHopeful posted:

Can I post a picture that is AI as well as AI?

sorry I just love whoring this picture out
I was in our plant in Marietta last year where we build the C5s. After getting to toy around in the cockpit (of which you are 4 stories up), I was taken to an elevator behind the plane. We went up 6 floors, stepped out and were at the tail. It still had a good 10 feet above us.

I love when these things land at the base near my house. They just float in the air and are insanely loud.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

dangerz posted:

I was in our plant in Marietta last year where we build the C5s.

Speaking of... is there any way to get a tour of the Marietta plant? It's really the only thing I've ever wanted to see if I visited Georgia, and I'll be there in September.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

Speaking of... is there any way to get a tour of the Marietta plant? It's really the only thing I've ever wanted to see if I visited Georgia, and I'll be there in September.
If you know someone that works there, probably. I work in the Fort Worth plant and we can give tours on Saturdays between certain hours. It's neat seeing all the F-35s lined up.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

dangerz posted:

I work in the Fort Worth plant and we can give tours on Saturdays between certain hours.

And now I have a reason to go to Texas. GODDAMMIT

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

dangerz posted:

I was in our plant in Marietta last year where we build the C5s. After getting to toy around in the cockpit (of which you are 4 stories up), I was taken to an elevator behind the plane. We went up 6 floors, stepped out and were at the tail. It still had a good 10 feet above us.

I love when these things land at the base near my house. They just float in the air and are insanely loud.

Know any open positions? I'm an entry-level Aerospace Engineer, but from what I've heard Lockheed's online application system is pretty much useless to people looking for a job.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

ApathyGifted posted:

Know any open positions? I'm an entry-level Aerospace Engineer, but from what I've heard Lockheed's online application system is pretty much useless to people looking for a job.
I'm not sure what positions we currently have open down here. I know that F35 is ramping down the amount of engineers they have because we dont need as many anymore. ADP could probably use some help too. I was supposed to switch to them back in February, but management stuff screwed me over. They do have a lot of work though. Their headquarters is in Palmdale, CA but they have a small group here in Fort Worth.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 31, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What the hell is going on in those images because it looks amazing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Static electricity and a long exposure? Looks loving sweet.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
The Micheal Yon article they're from is misleading, and blames it on static electricity. The truth is simpler - during brownout conditions, sand can strike the titanium abrasion strips that coat the leading edge of the rotor and cause it to spark. Although these images are somewhat augmented, it can be a real problem at night during insertion operations because it can reveal the location of the helicopter to the enemy.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
In case anybody missed it... 787 passed it's ultimate wing load test the other day :)

I do support 787 on occasion (usually V22 or chinook) so I think it's pretty awesome :)

Click here for the full 1040x693 image.

Click here for the full 1024x688 image.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dangerz posted:

Yeah I've heard them every day for the last 25 years, it's not so cool anymore.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004
I actually got to meet the pilot of this plane, Hank Hendrickson, and spend a couple hours hearing stories as we crawled around in the Boeing Museum of Flight's B-17. They were hit on their approach to a target over Germany, before dropping their payload. The ball turret gunner and one of the waist gunners were both killed instantly, but the navigator somehow managed to survive being about 3 feet from the shell exploding. He was thrown free of the aircraft and was lucky enough to have been wearing his parachute, and wound up spending the rest of the war in a POW camp.

After dropping the bombs over the target and turning back, this thing actually held together the 600 or so miles back to base in England. Hank said it was the softest landing he had ever made. He's on the left in these photos.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

The wings of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner being stresstested.. now that's what I call a bent set of wings..

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tetraptous posted:

The Micheal Yon article they're from is misleading, and blames it on static electricity. The truth is simpler - during brownout conditions, sand can strike the titanium abrasion strips that coat the leading edge of the rotor and cause it to spark. Although these images are somewhat augmented, it can be a real problem at night during insertion operations because it can reveal the location of the helicopter to the enemy.

I suppose the article is referring to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo's_fire

Glowing plasma around rotors, propellers and basically anything in motion can happen without sand being present.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Hermansen posted:

The wings of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner being stresstested.. now that's what I call a bent set of wings..

Wow man... 2 posts. Two. :(

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Blaise posted:

In case anybody missed it... 787 passed it's ultimate wing load test the other day :)

I do support 787 on occasion (usually V22 or chinook) so I think it's pretty awesome :)

Click here for the full 1040x693 image.

Click here for the full 1024x688 image.

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here is the video of the wing break test on the 787. Don't think this has been posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA9Kato1CxA

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
You know, even though I've seen the pictures, if I'm ever in a 787 that has wing loading like that, I think I'm going to freak out.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

jandrese posted:

You know, even though I've seen the pictures, if I'm ever in a 787 that has wing loading like that, I think I'm going to freak out.

You never will, those loads are way above anything you'd see on the most extreme commercial flight.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Can tilt-rotors come out and play?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

jandrese posted:

If they're hitting wing loading like that, you should be freaking out because you're pulling something like 7g and are probably about to crash.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
You probably are also graying out so you won't give a gently caress that the wing's all curvy.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BSAKat posted:

Can tilt-rotors come out and play?

Looks like :10bux: to me :dance:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I just found this in my pictures and didn't really know why I saved it, so here's another Skyraider pic! :woop:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're not trying hard enough. That thing could definitely carry some more missiles, not to mention more guns.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Somehow I get the impression that the airbrake is deployed so the pilot can just cruise along 3 feet off the ground bitchslapping people.

jandrese posted:

The 787 would never reach wing loading of that magnitude unless it's already crashed - the wing would stall way before pulling the kind of G's needed to do that. To reach that point you'd pretty much have to suspend the plane by its wingtips and then park 6 more 787's on top of it.

Edit: And if that happens to you, take a screenshot because you're obviously playing Just Cause 2

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 1, 2010

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Wouldn't the wings look like that if the plane was headed straight down? Glad the 87 is coming along nicely.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I just found this in my pictures and didn't really know why I saved it, so here's another Skyraider pic! :woop:

Goddamn the A-1 was badass. Anybody who loves the A-10 (which seems to be pretty much everybody in this thread) should love the A-1.

Also I met one of the guys who worked on the V-22 (my wife's half brother). The amount of maintenance required on those things is ridiculous.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

Radiohead71 posted:

Wouldn't the wings look like that if the plane was headed straight down? Glad the 87 is coming along nicely.

:ughh:

Come on dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Goddamn the A-1 was badass. Anybody who loves the A-10 (which seems to be pretty much everybody in this thread) should love the A-1.

Also I met one of the guys who worked on the V-22 (my wife's half brother). The amount of maintenance required on those things is ridiculous.

People pretty much love the A-10 because of the GAU. Which is sad. It is totally bitchin even without the GAU.