Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

That sax doesn't really look like an S so much as a sax that separates necro and kamikon

EDIT: On second look I think you could get away with it if you tilt all the other letters to the right!

dnz posted:

Well you know what they say, ska is dead.

:smug:

Well that just makes it ten times better.

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I have skasucks.com which i'm doing nothing with, I could redirect it to your site if you want. I'll probably have the domain forever.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I'm not really big on the whole reading/writing thing, but if you can think of something you'd want me to write about I might be able to put something up there. I'd probably be more useful for semi-obscure information about ska bands or info on certain upcoming releases and tours.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Josh Wow posted:

I'm not really big on the whole reading/writing thing, but if you can think of something you'd want me to write about I might be able to put something up there. I'd probably be more useful for semi-obscure information about ska bands or info on certain upcoming releases and tours.

Yeah right now it's kinda hard for me to write things because I haven't been to a show in almost a yea, but I'd like to do bits about some of the bands I've seen/will see, especially since I don't go to big shows, just the lovely local ones with bands nobody knows.

God best part of moving back to NY is will be being able to go to shows more often

e: Do you want me to shoot you an email with my username or what

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 1, 2010

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
anyone who signs up for wordpress can pm me, email (akickassduke@gmail) or you can just post it here. when i get home from work tonight, i'll set you up.

Thornes posted:

EDIT: On second look I think you could get away with it if you tilt all the other letters to the right!

i'm probably going to do this, i just threw that together in 5 minutes, i still have the .pdf and i wasn't really planning on it staying like that.

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I have skasucks.com which i'm doing nothing with, I could redirect it to your site if you want. I'll probably have the domain forever.

if you want to, go for it

Josh Wow posted:

I'd probably be more useful for semi-obscure information about ska bands or info on certain upcoming releases and tours.

that's pretty much exactly what i was hoping for :hfive:

e:

dnz posted:

see this guy gets it

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 1, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I'm in as dkwiggin. Is it cool if I do a bit on RazSum and link to their album/EPs at the end?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yes

i'm going on right now to send you an invite

e: i need your email to send an invite, i don't know why they don't have an option to send an invite to a wordpress account.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

also, i'm planning on doing a top-X (i'm thinking 30 as of right now) ska covers of all-time write up after i do 99SOR (tomorrow) so anyones anyone think should be on the list, let me know. right now the only ones the i know for drat sure are going in, and probably really high up, are: regatta 69- talk dirty to me, pietasters- big balls, save ferris- come on eileen, five iron frenzy- mama mia and it's not unusual.

they'll probably be a few rbf ones up there but if you ask me hungry like the wolf is the cream of that crop

e: btmi!- anywhere i lay my head is getting an honorable mention because it's a lovely cover if you compare it to the original but it's a loving badass song on it's own.

rum sodomy the lash
Nov 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
So I went to a friends place who was giving away some of his albums, and picked up the Specials self titled album because I saw it was produced by Elvis Costello. I honestly don't know poo poo about ska, this is ska right? I really like it, reminds me a lot of a ... happier Clash?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

yes

i'm going on right now to send you an invite

e: i need your email to send an invite, i don't know why they don't have an option to send an invite to a wordpress account.

go into my profile, it's my aim name at gmail dot com

As for covers, Mustard Plug - The Freshman, from the single with, I think, You. That Regatta 69 cover is tits though, doing the solo on trombone is loving awesome

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I can't stand The Freshman cover. Waiting Room is a killer cover by them although the recording quality isn't that great. When I saw them with LTJ and Suburban Legends they said somebody from SL came up and told them how great The Freshman song was, apparently they didn't know it was a cover.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Hippos' "Always Something There to Remind ME" is awesome, but it's more on the Power Pop end of their career than the ska end.

Big D's cover of Iron Maiden's "Iron Maiden."

Honestly, probably just a third of the Metalliska comp.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Reel Big Fish's "Hungry Like The Wolf"

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

rum sodomy the lash posted:

So I went to a friends place who was giving away some of his albums, and picked up the Specials self titled album because I saw it was produced by Elvis Costello. I honestly don't know poo poo about ska, this is ska right? I really like it, reminds me a lot of a ... happier Clash?

You could categorize a lot of ska as a "happier [band name]," even the Flaming Tsunamis.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The Hippos' "Always Something There to Remind ME" is awesome, but it's more on the Power Pop end of their career than the ska end.

Big D's cover of Iron Maiden's "Iron Maiden."

Honestly, probably just a third of the Metalliska comp.

Its all about Big D's cover of Liars by Ministry

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Big D's cover of New England?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I've been downloading a bunch of Loveline to listen to on tour and there's a bunch of ska bands as guests. I'm listening to the one with the Aquabats right now, and they were on for about 10 minutes until the first call and they bailed. Turns out they are really religious and didn't like the content. Seems weird they'd do it in the first place if that was the case. Also Bobcat Goldthwait apparently directed their video for Super Rad.

edit: About 30 minutes into the episode and they just came back. This is kind of a trainwreck, it's awesome.

Josh Wow fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 2, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Im pretty sure a few of the Aquabats are Mormon.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

aricoarena posted:

Im pretty sure a few of the Aquabats are Mormon.

At least MC Bat Commander is.

Wikipedia posted:

Jacobs is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served a two-year mission in Japan. He is the great-grandson of prominent Mormon leader LeGrand Richards.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Big D's cover of New England?

I hate that song.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

You could categorize a lot of ska as a "happier [band name]," even the Flaming Tsunamis.

What would TFT be the happier version of

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Dickeye posted:

What would TFT be the happier version of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_qtD82Olq8&feature=related

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

I'm gonna go with this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Holy poo poo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Thornes posted:

I hate that song.

but whyyyyyyyy

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

but whyyyyyyyy

I just listened to this for the first time. I loathe Big D with a passion, but goddamn this is fun

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Dickeye posted:

I just listened to this for the first time. I loathe Big D with a passion, but goddamn this is fun

Have you listened to Good Luck, or The Gypsy Hill ep? Because those were good albums. How it Goes is not very good, and also was mixed/mastered worse than their previous albums, like worse than the albums my friends made using the closet as a studio - I'm still shocked that that is how they chose to release that album. Everything after that is utter poo poo.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Personally I hate the fake super thick Boston accent Dave has in the beginning of the song. He doesn't talk like that. Also the fact that he's like 'we didn't ask permission to do this hope it's ok...' is total bullshit. They either paid for the rights to cover that song on every cd they printed or it was public domain. It's just so very very fake. Also Big D doing a song about how great Boston is....whoop de doo. Gypsy Hill is probably my favorite album of theirs though, I just hate that song.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aricoarena posted:

Have you listened to Good Luck, or The Gypsy Hill ep? Because those were good albums. How it Goes is not very good, and also was mixed/mastered worse than their previous albums, like worse than the albums my friends made using the closet as a studio - I'm still shocked that that is how they chose to release that album. Everything after that is utter poo poo.

Tried it

Every time I put on Good Luck though I think "Man you know what this isn't? Hello Rockview. I think I'll listen to that instead." and then that is exactly what I do

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Tried it

Every time I put on Good Luck though I think "Man you know what this isn't? Hello Rockview. I think I'll listen to that instead." and then that is exactly what I do

I think Im one of the only people that doesn't like Hello Rockveiw. I actually prefer Borders and Boundaries to it, although Losing Streak is still my favorite.

Edit: Well the like 8 songs of Borders and Bound that I dont skip

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aricoarena posted:

I think Im one of the only people that doesn't like Hello Rockveiw. I actually prefer Borders and Boundaries to it, although Losing Streak is still my favorite.

Edit: Well the like 8 songs of Borders and Bound that I dont skip

Get the gently caress out of my house

Tonight at work I'm gonna write my RazSum article, and then do one about why Hello Rockview is the greatest third-wave album, better than Keasbey Nights even

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Dickeye posted:

Get the gently caress out of my house

Tonight at work I'm gonna write my RazSum article, and then do one about why Hello Rockview is the greatest third-wave album, better than Keasbey Nights even

Get the gently caress out of MY house than.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

aricoarena posted:

what the suffering gently caress is wrong with you

Dickeye posted:

Tried it

I have to be in the mood for Good Luck. But as Big D goes it's one of their less objectionable ones. How It Goes is several really good songs surrounded by a lot -- a lot -- of poo poo. Strictly Rude is near-uniformly awful with like 3 good songs on it.

I kind of wish Big D and the Kids Table would get rid of Big D.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sandwolf posted:

Get the gently caress out of MY house than.

Maybe it's because Scott Farcas was Babby's First Ska Song but I can listen to Hello Rockview for hours on end. Keasbey I listen to maybe once, and halfway through a second play, and I need something new.

Also Big Crash is never mentioned as a rad LTJ song and I don't know why, it's easily one of the best on the album.

e: As far as Borders, I really like certain things about that version of Look What Happened, specifically the horn intro, but even that isn't as good as the rerecording on Anthem. That album is lame

e2: I'm talking to my friend tonight, I'll have to ask her how bad Big D was when they opened for them this winter.

e3: I started the RazSum thing, I'm waiting for one of my friends to hook me up with some background info so that it's not just AW poo poo LOOK AT THIS LISTEN TO THIS FREE MUSIC SO loving GOOD MAN

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Big D is poo poo now regardless, and there is no way hello rockview is better than Good Luck, or Turn the Radio Off for a third wave ska album. :colbert:

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I only think Hello Rockview is alright compared to Losing Streak.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I only think Hello Rockview is alright compared to Losing Streak.

Reminder that Less Than Jake released an album called In With The Out Crowd that was just plain bad

Whereas Hello Rockview doesn't just sit on a pedestal it is the pedestal and therefore nothing will ever remove it

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

but whyyyyyyyy

I mostly just really hate that whole dum da dum dum day thing

edit: also i'll go with everything josh wow said

also i'm gonna get poo poo for this but i just plain don't like LTJ. except liquer store and johnny quest

also yo dickeye thanks for the help 4point0's playing at my school on the 16th!

snackcakes fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 3, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You are very welcome sir. Now that I'm going to be local again I'm gonna talk to Danny about working with him and Pat booking shows, actually