Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

crime fighting hog posted:

So I painted some Blood Angels High Elves

I dig the guy with no adornment. The straight red jacket is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I dig the guy with no adornment. The straight red jacket is pretty cool.

As do I but I do like the deco to. The white looks better in person but needs one more coat to look solid.

No Pun Intended posted:

Woah, Totally not what I expected when you first mentioned your scheme but :hellyeah: those are some awesome looking elves. What did colours did you use on the mail as I uh would like to know for uh research :ninja:

To my memory

Basecoat the entire thing, cracks and all, with 1:1 shining gold/scorched brown.
Dry brush shining gold.
Dry brush burnished gold
Lightly dry brush burnished mixed with a bit of mithril

Wash with Ogryn Flesh.

LIGHTLY dry brush with burnished and mithril again just on the edges to make them stand out again.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

!amicable posted:

GS is awful. Are you dead set on using it? There are a lot of other polymer clays that are less like chewing gum.

I havent really tried other epoxy based putties, but they all seem to have their various weaknesses, holding less detail, drying weirdly, poo poo like that.

Im a long ways off from ever having time to really learn how to sculpt properly, but Id like to at least get better at using GS for various conversions

Teadrinker
Oct 21, 2008

FractionMan posted:

I've already ordered £15 of bases and other bits from there and so have more than I need now, many thanks for the offer however.

Your welcome mate. Where abouts in the UK are you out of interest? im in Notts and looking for more players and painters.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

Teadrinker posted:

Your welcome mate. Where abouts in the UK are you out of interest? im in Notts and looking for more players and painters.

Way down in Southampton, seems there aren't too many people from this site down here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

:smug:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

:aaaaa:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

All the disadvantages of white gesso and spray primer for the low cost of $7.96? :)

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, eight dolla dollas aint that much at all, no.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe I'm being dumb, but wouldn't something thick like gesso be prone to jamming a spray can. Less so than rough coat, but still.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Teadrinker posted:

Stoke-on-trent here, close enough?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Stoke-on-trent here, close enough?

I read Stroke-on-trent.

That'd be an awkward place to live.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

!amicable posted:

I read Stroke-on-trent.

That'd be an awkward place to live.

Especially if your name is Trent.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

!amicable posted:

GS is awful. Are you dead set on using it? There are a lot of other polymer clays that are less like chewing gum.

This is your second post of saying GS is poo poo (which is pretty questionable to begin with when a bunch of serious professionals use it) if you are going to poo poo on a product at least give us an alternative, thanks. What are you recommending?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Ashcans posted:

This is your second post of saying GS is poo poo (which is pretty questionable to begin with when a bunch of serious professionals use it) if you are going to poo poo on a product at least give us an alternative, thanks. What are you recommending?

It depends. I like sculpey for blocking in larger things. For details magic sculpt is very good. It's water thinnable which is the greatest advantage over gs. It also dries much harder.

I won't lie and say that I don't use GS, but it's very difficult to work with. Lots of professional sculptors have claimed the same. There are a lot of up sides, but it's very very circumstantial. A lot of sculpting techniques that work with GS don't carry over to other materials and vice versa.

GS is good for cloth and "foldy" bits, because it's pliable. it's far less useful for anything geometric. It is really like sculpting with chewing guml; it's neat for some things though because of this fact.

I can post some more concrete examples later on as well as linking articles and opinions of sculptors far better than myself. For your average gap filling joe, GS is decent enough. If you want to seriously construct something from the ground up, GS is an awful main material.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

This really is interesting actually. I wonder if it works. If I see a bottle next time I get some primer I'll try it out and post results.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Ashcans posted:

hubba bubba

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

This really is interesting actually. I wonder if it works. If I see a bottle next time I get some primer I'll try it out and post results.

Craft section at Walmart. I came for the matte sealant, I stayed for the aerosol gesso.

I haven't left yet. :qq:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Craft section at Walmart. I came for the matte sealant, I stayed for the aerosol gesso.

I haven't left yet. :qq:

Oh I know, that's where I get all my primer

krylon flat black 4 lyfe

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ashcans posted:

ProCreate modeling putty. Less sticky than green kneadatite, but holds detail just as well, and can be sanded/filed/tapped like brown kneadatite when dry.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

!amicable posted:

It depends. I like sculpey for blocking in larger things. For details magic sculpt is very good. It's water thinnable which is the greatest advantage over gs. It also dries much harder.

I won't lie and say that I don't use GS, but it's very difficult to work with. Lots of professional sculptors have claimed the same. There are a lot of up sides, but it's very very circumstantial. A lot of sculpting techniques that work with GS don't carry over to other materials and vice versa.

GS is good for cloth and "foldy" bits, because it's pliable. it's far less useful for anything geometric. It is really like sculpting with chewing guml; it's neat for some things though because of this fact.

I can post some more concrete examples later on as well as linking articles and opinions of sculptors far better than myself. For your average gap filling joe, GS is decent enough. If you want to seriously construct something from the ground up, GS is an awful main material.

Silhouette posted:

ProCreate modeling putty. Less sticky than green kneadatite, but holds detail just as well, and can be sanded/filed/tapped like brown kneadatite when dry.

Thank you! This is much more helpful. GS is where a lot of us start working because, well, its what GW sells and what they tend to talk about in any modeling/conversion articles. Turning up at a real art store or going online leads to a dizzying amount of options, and its not very feasible (both in time and money) to buy and test them all.

If someone is knowledgeable enough to do a big write up of the different materials and their strengths/weaknesses, it would be a pretty awesome contribution to the thread.

Also hubba bubba is poo poo for sculpting, taffy all the way.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Where can I get this, broheim

e:

is this it?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product42202.html

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 4, 2010

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

Where can I get this, broheim

e:

is this it?

http://www.thewarstore.com/product42202.html

That's the poo poo I have, PV. I actually don't use it so, uh, if you pay shipping I'll send you mine. I've hardly used any.

[edit] or paint me a display alternate sculpt eiryss :clint:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Aranan posted:

That's the poo poo I have, PV. I actually don't use it so, uh, if you pay shipping I'll send you mine. I've hardly used any.

How long have you had it? I know GS tends to harden after its sat for a while, sort of. But yeah, Ill def take it, thanks broseph!

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've probably had it about 9 months or so. Not sure if it matters, but I've kept each of the colors wrapped up in their foil wrappers inside the original plastic blister, so I imagine that would help prevent some of the spoiling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

krylon flat black 4 lyfe

If you can find it, the 'special purpose ultra-flat' (for camouflage-painting your hunting bow) is a little better still. (Though the new spray head on the standard flat kicks rear end.)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

moths posted:

If you can find it, the 'special purpose ultra-flat' (for camouflage-painting your hunting bow) is a little better still. (Though the new spray head on the standard flat kicks rear end.)

How is it better? Better coverage?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The new head throws a vertical line of paint instead of a circle. It's weird at first but is pretty awesome.

The ultra-flat seems to take paint a little better, but that could just be my take on it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can I use white glue to put sand down on cork bark, or will it screw it up somehow since the cork is so porous?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Can I use white glue to put sand down on cork bark, or will it screw it up somehow since the cork is so porous?

Seal the cork or paint it first, then hit it with the glue, just to be sure. If you are not thinning the glue I don't see why this wouldn't work. For static grass I just lay some glue down, smear it around and drop some herb on that mother fucker. (Actually I sort of dab it on.)

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

So for my blood angels High Elves, what should I base them with? Obviously with all the warm colors it should be something grey and dead, right?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

So for my blood angels High Elves, what should I base them with? Obviously with all the warm colors it should be something grey and dead, right?

I was going to say use the contrast notion of green goes with red, but upon reflection a healthy green grass base would likely pull your eye off the mini so a black small rocks/pebbles base with a grey hi-lite and some tiny patches of dead static grass would probably be a better idea.

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
goblin green with bad moon yellow brushed sand!

when it comes to HE, go 90s or go home

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Almost done with the greenstuff work on my farseer body, needs to be filed/sanded smooth and the ridges on the sash made a bit deeper once its cured enough to hold without mushing it up

then just some greenstuffing of hands/weapons/plan B and it will be readyto prime. I lubricated most of the lower body work with vaseline which has long since driedout but how should i clean residue before priming? i was just gonna try a cotton bud with a bit of soapy water

Yog-Sothoth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 4, 2010

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So, when I did a break-down of various two-part epoxies... Did none of you pay attention? :v:

Here's a recap, since we are back with the topic.

Green Stuff (Games Workshop, Gale Force Nine, etc.)
Pros: Simple to use, effective for nearly every application.
Cons: Off-balanced ratios can lead to defective curing, relatively short working time.
Mighty Putty (Billy Mays sold this)
Pros: Dirt. loving. Cheap. Great for making the "frame" of a large sculpt.
Cons: Extremely short work time, will go bad within months, used or not.
Brown Stuff (Various)
Pros: Similar to green stuff in most ways, but holds sharp edges very well. Takes better to sanding, tapping, drilling and filing than green stuff.
Cons: Same as green stuff, semi-expensive.
ProCreate (Made by Kraftmark)
Pros: Gray color means it's easy to see detail. Depending on mix ratio, you can get green stuff, brown stuff, and a half-way effect. Relatively long working time.
Cons: Be delicate when working with this stuff. Can be a little frustrating to work with thanks to an unusually fine "grain."

Hope this helps. PV, you got the right stuff (baby). Since picking it up, I've never looked back at green stuff to do anything other than tutorials.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 4, 2010

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

I was going to say use the contrast notion of green goes with red, but upon reflection a healthy green grass base would likely pull your eye off the mini so a black small rocks/pebbles base with a grey hi-lite and some tiny patches of dead static grass would probably be a better idea.

Alright gray gravel and brown static grass works because that's what I use with my chaos marines :v:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
http://www.milliput.com/home.htm

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Not sure if this has been posted but

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,sculpting.php?id=571

+

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45944

soon as exams are over I am so doing this for my daemonprince

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Sole.Sushi posted:

Hope this helps. PV, you got the right stuff (baby). Since picking it up, I've never looked back at green stuff to do anything other than tutorials.

Thanks man, I had forgotten that you did that writeup. You know a bunch about sculpting, have you done any really elaborate projects or any full sculpts?

Id love to see em! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Oh hey finished 22 stands of tiny mans this weekend so now I can stop putting off selling them :smith:

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

• Locked thread