Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Went through a marathon of this show for the past month or so. Best show ever, just one question though:

Who is Eisenach playing chess with? (ep 106, right at the end)

Dawning Horror fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Luke Johnson posted:

Went through a marathon of this show for the past month or so. Best show ever, just one question though:

Himself.

e: THE COMPUTER

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Zorak posted:

Himself.

e: THE COMPUTER

Poor Eisenach, there's a table full of the finest strategic minds in the galaxy behind him and nobody wants to play chess with him. :sigh:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Luke Johnson posted:

Poor Eisenach, there's a table full of the finest strategic minds in the galaxy behind him and nobody wants to play chess with him. :sigh:
Well to be fair to everybody else, he never speaks.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eisenach is super duper awesome for a guy that literally get's less than 20 minutes screen time in the entire 100 + episode series.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Very few of the Admirals struck me as chess players. Maybe Mecklinger, Reunthal and Wolfgang. Bittenfeld strikes me as more of a hungry hungry Hippos kind of dude.

I'm curious as to how the less prominent admirals are portrayed in the novels.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Luke Johnson posted:

Would anyone happen to know somewhere I could get the sound clip of just that scene? It's just such a great moment, but google/youtube never had good results.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Gils posted:

Would anyone happen to know somewhere I could get the sound clip of just that scene? It's just such a great moment, but google/youtube never had good results.
You're going to have to rip it out of the episode yourself, or get someone else to. Do you want the video too, or just audio?

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Popo posted:

Very few of the Admirals struck me as chess players. Maybe Mecklinger, Reunthal and Wolfgang. Bittenfeld strikes me as more of a hungry hungry Hippos kind of dude.

Apparently the novels have significantly less material than the anime, unlike how adaptations usually are in the Western world. One example: Dusty Attenborough doesn't exist in the books.

Also Mecklinger is totally a chess man.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

sensual benny posted:

One example: Dusty Attenborough doesn't exist in the books.

Official: The books are wildly inferior and should be ignored.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Official: The books are wildly inferior and should be ignored.

Jesus christ yes gently caress that noise dusty is the pimpinest [celibate] admiral!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Popo posted:

Bittenfeld strikes me as more of a hungry hungry Hippos kind of dude.

If only Discount Bees or some other artistically-inclined goon would draw that.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Popo posted:

This is the best mental image ever. Thank you for that.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Swilo posted:

You're going to have to rip it out of the episode yourself, or get someone else to. Do you want the video too, or just audio?

Ah, I was hoping it was somewhere convenient. I can take care of it myself then.

Also goddamn Bittenfeld would be great at HHH, plus that game is the best

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Just finished the series after starting to power through it over spring break.

Obviously a fantastic show, but a few things bugged me:

Interstellar travel: We know they have warp travel, but we only see it used once. All ship interactions occur via conventional engines, including ambushes and fleet arrivals, and we never see ships warp in or out. I'd expect warping in to be a great way for fleets to get the drop on their enemies.

Logistics: The numbers can be a bit hard to wrap one's head around, but at several points it just didn't seem clear where the ships were coming from. Tens of thousands of ships blown up each battle, 90% of fleets destroyed, millions dead, yet there are always more ships/guys to replace them within a couple of months. We never see anything like shipyards, so it's hard to see what their production schedule is like. I know that space is large, but there are a finite number of inhabited systems on that map, those ships look pretty resource intensive, and unless you have an entire fleet of greenhorns the turnover rate for ship hands would require massive armies of reserves.

Iserlohn's shell: Iserlohn is an amazingly designed piece of sci-fi, and one of the coolest things in the series (right behind Reuental and Mittermeyer), but getting a ship with huge open engine ports through a thick layer of liquid metal seems problematic. How do the engines operate when they're flooded with metal?

Hero units: This comes in two flavors, ships and hand-to-hand. Particularly for the Alliance side (Empire has ships like the Hildegarde and Parcivale that are obviously better), the ships used by commanders don't seem to have a reason to be tougher than the rest, which get blown up in a shot or two. Yet it's very rare for the command ship to be targeted (unless you're Muller, lol), even though it seems like it would be your best bet. And when it comes to hand-to-hand, apparently part of being a Fleet Admiral is being far better trained in hand-to-hand combat and marksmanship than dedicated infantry. Especially Reuental, who is a goddamn ninja. :allears:

Philosophy dumps: Not a blanket condemnation of them, but the quality was a bit uneven. Sometimes the writers went out of their way to be nuanced, but sometimes they seemed content to knock down straw men versions of arguments, which made a few episodes (the stuff with Negroponty in particular) feel a bit heavy-handed and preachy.

Reinhard's illness: Not for the same reason that people were complaining about a couple pages back, more a matter of my own perceptions. When Yang and Prince Reinhard met in ep 54, Emil brought in some tea, and gave a really sly look when he gave it to Yang. Yang almost brought the tea to his lips, gave it a nasty look, and didn't touch it again. (In retrospect, it may have had more to do with the discussion about the water of one's home country.) I took it as Emil possibly having poisoned the tea, and spent the rest of the series wondering if Reinhard's declining health meant that Emil was slowly poisoning him as part of a drawn-out revenge plan.

Blond hair: Goddamn blinding in season 4.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Interstellar travel: We know they have warp travel, but we only see it used once. All ship interactions occur via conventional engines, including ambushes and fleet arrivals, and we never see ships warp in or out. I'd expect warping in to be a great way for fleets to get the drop on their enemies.

Warping is only solar-system to solar system, and is only in a linear path from star to star. Within systems, you're stuck in conventional transportation. Warping fleets together is troublesome, and short-range warps with fleets in a combat situation runs the risk of fleets emerging almost into each other. We see this happen with Mittermeyer a few times because he's SO FAST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

quote:

millions dead, yet there are always more ships/guys to replace them within a couple of months. We never see anything like shipyards, so it's hard to see what their production schedule is like. I know that space is large, but there are a finite number of inhabited systems on that map, those ships look pretty resource intensive, and unless you have an entire fleet of greenhorns the turnover rate for ship hands would require massive armies of reserves.

They pointed out that much of EPA's young adults are in the military due to a combination of draft and the fact that the military is really the only way to make any money short of industry. They point this out repeatedly both directly and indirectly.

Both of the forces manage to essentially wipe out major portions of their respective populations in the war. The EPA never really creates any new fleets, you may notice; Yang's fleet before attacking Iserlohn is the only real fleet creation we see, everything else is restructuring and reorganizing pre-existing fleets.

quote:

Iserlohn's shell: Iserlohn is an amazingly designed piece of sci-fi, and one of the coolest things in the series (right behind Reuental and Mittermeyer), but getting a ship with huge open engine ports through a thick layer of liquid metal seems problematic. How do the engines operate when they're flooded with metal?

Pretty sure there's just no openings on the outside of the ships (they're capable of water landings mind) and their engines provide enough exhaust possibly to keep the metal out of the engines, the only thing that matters. Also it looks cool so deal with it.

quote:

Hero units: This comes in two flavors, ships and hand-to-hand. Particularly for the Alliance side (Empire has ships like the Hildegarde and Parcivale that are obviously better), the ships used by commanders don't seem to have a reason to be tougher than the rest, which get blown up in a shot or two. Yet it's very rare for the command ship to be targeted (unless you're Muller, lol), even though it seems like it would be your best bet. And when it comes to hand-to-hand, apparently part of being a Fleet Admiral is being far better trained in hand-to-hand combat and marksmanship than dedicated infantry. Especially Reuental, who is a goddamn ninja. :allears:

Most admirals are parked in the back of formations, and you can't exactly "snipe" ships without breaking formation which, mind, tends to lead to trouble. You'd have to constantly be reorientating your fleet to try to shoot at a single ship that you think may be located somewhere in a formation, while the enemy formation is counter-reforming and blowing you to giblets.

quote:

Reinhard's illness: Not for the same reason that people were complaining about a couple pages back, more a matter of my own perceptions. When Yang and Prince Reinhard met in ep 54, Emil brought in some tea, and gave a really sly look when he gave it to Yang. Yang almost brought the tea to his lips, gave it a nasty look, and didn't touch it again. (In retrospect, it may have had more to do with the discussion about the water of one's home country.) I took it as Emil possibly having poisoned the tea, and spent the rest of the series wondering if Reinhard's declining health meant that Emil was slowly poisoning him as part of a drawn-out revenge plan.

this is the dumbest thing

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Just finished the series after starting to power through it over spring break.

Obviously a fantastic show, but a few things bugged me:

Philosophy dumps: Not a blanket condemnation of them, but the quality was a bit uneven. Sometimes the writers went out of their way to be nuanced, but sometimes they seemed content to knock down straw men versions of arguments, which made a few episodes (the stuff with Negroponty in particular) feel a bit heavy-handed and preachy.

I think the philosophy was as well weaved into it as any anime has ever done. Sometimes it was ham handed but I would take that over the way it has been dealt with in other anime.

Also hahahah you think Emil is some kind of Livia from I Claudius.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Negroponty and his really dumb bureaucratic ilk who work mostly for their own power were a reflection of the Japanese democratic system which is nepotistic and like that in real life

Nothing was really done about it until recently due to general apathy

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zorak posted:

Warping is only solar-system to solar system, and is only in a linear path from star to star. Within systems, you're stuck in conventional transportation.
When did they mention that? The only times I remember them mentioning warp at all were the SECRET WEAPON, the history of the Galactic Confederation, and once in the second-to-last episode.

quote:

Pretty sure there's just no openings on the outside of the ships (they're capable of water landings mind) and their engines provide enough exhaust possibly to keep the metal out of the engines, the only thing that matters.
Water landings aren't the same as going underwater, and it didn't look like the metal was being pushed back around the engines when ships submerged. The other thing that matters is keeping momentum, because pushing that metal is going to sap it like crazy. It's not a huge complaint, it's just that when a series does so many things well little things like that jump out more.

quote:

Most admirals are parked in the back of formations, and you can't exactly "snipe" ships without breaking formation which, mind, tends to lead to trouble. You'd have to constantly be reorientating your fleet to try to shoot at a single ship that you think may be located somewhere in a formation, while the enemy formation is counter-reforming and blowing you to giblets.
Yet ships were blowing up all around command ships a lot of the time. Mostly they just seemed lucky that the enemy was aiming at the ship a bit above and off to the side.

quote:

this is the dumbest thing
In retrospect maybe, but it's not like characters didn't have hidden agendas and that look Emil gave was seriously sketchy.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
They kinda showed a shipyard once; During the Yang rebellion that satellite station was mass-producing ships.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Yet ships were blowing up all around command ships a lot of the time. Mostly they just seemed lucky that the enemy was aiming at the ship a bit above and off to the side.

In retrospect maybe, but it's not like characters didn't have hidden agendas and that look Emil gave was seriously sketchy.

Real post the ships blowing up around the command is for dramatic effect. Plus plot armor. In terms of in world explanations you'd have to assume the density of ships in front of the command ships would probably be much greater so as to not allow it through ,which would not be the case in the surrounding ships.

I had no remote inclination that emil was doing anything sketchy but I really thought they were going to do something more with his character. Honestly I figured the show would have done another time skip and had him be the one to find the cure for reinhard, or something to that effect, since both the disease and Emil's aspiration to be a doctor are revealed at about the same time.

The alliance also starts putting together new fleets just before ragnarok busts through but yeah it was pretty much too little too late. The series dealt with the alliance's depletion of ships very well I thought.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Reinhard likes coffee, and that's what Emil served. Yang has mentioned a few times throughout the series that he despises coffee, so he was grossed out by the choice of drink. You can colour that with a "waters of your own nation" kind of metaphor, but I really don't think poison has anything to do with it.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006
Yang is a drunk that was being served something nonalcoholic so...

Actually their choice of drinks explains a lot about them. Reinhard the coffee drinker is a go getting conquerer, while Yang just wants to lay back and chill.

Unmistakeable Fire fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 5, 2010

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

well that's interesting

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Eronarn posted:

well that's interesting

"America's Tea Party movement has licensed the Japanese OVA Legend of the Galactic Heroes in a bid to show how a corrupt democracy crippled by dangerous minorities at all levels of leadership can be dealt with by strong white leadership"

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Was not sure where that was going, but then I lost it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eronarn posted:

well that's interesting

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

also: convinced my Sci/Fi Films professor to show the first LOGH movie in class for our final

I am the best

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Zorak posted:

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

also: convinced my Sci/Fi Films professor to show the first LOGH movie in class for our final

I am the best

How does that work exactly (also that is pretty awesome)?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

ANN - Legend of the Galactic Heroes Global Net Game Licensed posted:

The Japanese online game company GameOn announced on Monday that it licensed the global rights to adapt Yoshiki Tanaka's Legend of the Galactic Heroes novel series into a browser-based online game. The space opera epic follows the conflict between the Galactic Empire and Free Planets Alliance, as well as the personal stories of Imperial Admiral Reinhard von Lohengramm and the Alliance's Yang Wen-Li. GameOn's development and distribution license is worldwide, and the company intends to run the tentatively titled Legend of the Galactic Heroes Online game not only in Japan, but throughout the world.

Since Tanaka launched the series in November of 1982, the 10 main novel volumes and four side-story volumes have sold 15 million copies and earned him a Seiun Award. Director Noboru Ishiguro (Macross, Orguss, Megazone 23) and his Artland anime studio spent over a decade adapting the novels into a theatrical and video anime franchise with over 100 installments. A stage play will open in Tokyo's Aoyama Theatre next January. Besides Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Tanaka also wrote the original novel inspirations for The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Ryoko's Case File, Sohryuden - Legend of the Dragon Kings, and Tytania anime projects.

Sources: Online Gamer, animeanime.jp

Wonder what kind of game it'll be.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

Guyver posted:

Wonder what kind of game it'll be.

This series gets the strangest adaptations sometimes. Lets make it a manga with Shojo art! Lets make it a stage play! Lets make it a browser game!

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
As a clueless newcomer to the series, I was wondering:

- Should I watch the prequel stuff before the main series? After? Not at all?

- Does "Overture to a New War" replace episodes 1 & 2? Or is it all additional stuff that happens to take place at the same time?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

The prequels are worth watching, but I would wait until after you've finished the main series.

quote:

- Does "Overture to a New War" replace episodes 1 & 2? Or is it all additional stuff that happens to take place at the same time?
Yes, it replaces episodes 1 and 2. There are some things cut out and some things added but I think most would agree it is a better overall experience than the original first two episodes.

Don't forget to watch the movie "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" first...it's technically the pilot episode in a way. After that watch "Overture to a New War", then start the main series on episode 3.

At least I think that would be the best way to go about it.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
That's definitely the way to go. "My Conquest" functions kind of like a prologue -- it's self-contained and somewhat detached from the main story, but it sets up the characters and the setting well. "Overture" is more like a feature-length pilot, and leads directly into the main story, with a lot more colour and depth than the original two episodes.
Conquest -> Overture -> Episode 3 and beyond

Watch the Gaiden episodes (prequels) after you're finished with the main series and hurting for more.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

As a clueless newcomer to the series, I was wondering:

Takes No Damage posted:

The gaidens are definitely worth seeing after the main series. They're numbered in a confusing way, but basically it's two season's worth of episodes. The first dealing with Reinhard before we see him in the first ep of the main series, the second season is the same thing for Yang. You can see how each individual gaiden is split up in my post earlier on this page, just below, with 1-4 being season one and 5-9 season two.

Takes No Damage posted:

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 check
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8) check
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12) check
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24) check
5 Spiral Labyrinth #1-14 (25-38) check
6 Mutineer #1-4 (39-42) check
7 Those Who Duel #1-4 (43-46) check
8 Those Who Recapture #1-4 (47-50) c'mon c'mon do it
9 The Third Tiamat Battle #1-2 (51-52) c'mon c'mon do it

Maybe we should stick this list in the OP or something, I actually had a hard time just finding the names and proper order for all the gaidens, most sources seem to mix them up for some reason.

edit: and maybe add in what benny said about My Conquest being Episode 0 and Overture replacing Episodes 1 & 2. I believe that would lay out all LOGH content for people to see what goes where and when.

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 30, 2010

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah, that list of titles for Gaiden is very helpful to a person like me who has finished the series and is starting the prequels. Central Anime has the most confusing episode naming scheme for these, especially if you aren't already aware of the way the eps are organized.

It's too bad that the Gaiden eps don't seem to have any seeds, though. :sigh:

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I didn't know there was a LOGH RTS game made already for PC in 2008 until I read this Japanator article about the upcoming browser game. It's like a wet dream coming true for a Homeworld fan like me. Time to study Japanese even harder!

There is a youtube video of the 3D LOGH RTS game link in the article: http://www.japanator.com/a-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-video-game-do-want-14716.phtml#ext

If they do end up making a LOGH browser game similar to empire sims such as Astro Empire available internationally, I probably won't stop playing it if they can somehow retain the atmosphere and the lore of the series. I usually lose interest in those free to play browser games after a month.

Unmistakeable Fire
Oct 1, 2006

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I didn't know there was a LOGH RTS game made already for PC in 2008 until I read this Japanator article about the upcoming browser game. It's like a wet dream coming true for a Homeworld fan like me. Time to study Japanese even harder!

There is a youtube video of the 3D LOGH RTS game link in the article: http://www.japanator.com/a-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-video-game-do-want-14716.phtml#ext

If they do end up making a LOGH browser game similar to empire sims such as Astro Empire available internationally, I probably won't stop playing it if they can somehow retain the atmosphere and the lore of the series. I usually lose interest in those free to play browser games after a month.

Learn Japanese and translate it for me :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, that list of titles for Gaiden is very helpful to a person like me who has finished the series and is starting the prequels. Central Anime has the most confusing episode naming scheme for these, especially if you aren't already aware of the way the eps are organized.

It's too bad that the Gaiden eps don't seem to have any seeds, though. :sigh:

Yeah they start off just going Gaiden 1, Gaiden 2 etc (Referring to Valley and Morning's in my list), but now they're just putting them out by their title alone, or for the second season they're titling everything Spiral Labyrinth and then subtitling the shorter gaidens that follow within that same season except on Tuesdays when they :psyboom:

It's only truly problematic because the different stories in each season are in a continuity, so Valley of White Silver happens before Hundred Billion Stars so each season needs to be watched in order. I think they're moving over to nyaatorrents so maybe they'll take the opportunity to standardize file names.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hopefully with this move, they start grouping together the different arcs so we don't have to download each individual episode again. Or maybe I'm just spoiled from only having to download the original series by season, rather than by episode like the goons in this thread did.

Speaking of the original series, I've recently discovered that the BD rip of "My Conquest is the Sea of Stars" is... somewhat sketchy in terms of video quality.

I mean, for every (relatively decent) shot like this,

there's a weird, kind of blurry one like this:

Why does Yang have brown hair :psyduck:

edit: Sure, it's minutiae, but hopefully the rest of these LoGH BD rips don't look as dated. Bah, it's 80's animation, what really can you do?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

somewhat sketchy in terms of video quality.

It's upscaled.