Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anphrax posted:

I suppose I didn't really explain myself well enough. I installed Fedora to learn linux, I have no problem solving my issue the hard way; care to explain more in-depth?

Go to System, Preferences, Startup Applications and add gkrellm there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

NOTinuyasha posted:

Migrating to Gentoo to get away from morons is like running to Auschwitz to escape from the Nazis

I haven't been to their forums yet, but I like the way the distro goes.

What about Arch?

Or maybe I'll just man up and go FreeBSD on my desktop. That'll be fun.

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock
Is anyone familiar with non-mass storage device cameras on Linux? I have a Nikon Coolpix L20 that I need to recover some deleted photos from on the internal memory, but it is not a typical usb mass storage device. My original plan was to do the data recovery windows, but it does not show up as usual drive and thus none of the recovery software I've tried can even see it.

The camera shows up in Ubuntu just fine, and I can browse (non-deleted) pictures on the internal memory and everything, but my original plan of using DD to copy the camera memory onto a regular old usb drive (and going to work on that in windows because barely I know what I am doing in Linux) is coming up short. It does not seem to act like a typical usb drive/device in Linux either. I found a thread here that talks about using gvfs-mount to identify the device, and I can see my camera there, but I don't know how to transform the information it displays into something DD could understand.

This is what gvfs-mount -l tells me:
code:
Volume(0): NIKON DSC COOLPIX L20-PTP
  Type: GProxyVolume (GProxyVolumeMonitorGPhoto2)
  Mount(0): NIKON DSC COOLPIX L20-PTP -> gphoto2://[usb:001,005]/
    Type: GProxyShadowMount (GProxyVolumeMonitorGPhoto2)
Mount(1): NIKON DSC COOLPIX L20-PTP -> gphoto2://[usb:001,005]/
  Type: GDaemonMount
I am probably in over my head here, but it would be great if anyone knows how to get this to work!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Most likely there will be no way to do data recovery since PTP is probably too high level to allow you to access anything lower level than images. Gvfs-mount won't help that problem because it just uses fuse to create a virtual filesystem over the protocol the camera is being accessed through.

Edit: You probably would have already tried this if it was possible but is there a way to put the camera into an MSC mode (without reformatting the memory)?

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 6, 2010

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

IanMalcolm posted:

I haven't been to their forums yet, but I like the way the distro goes.

What about Arch?

I love Gentoo for being a source based system and the package manager (Portage) is quite powerful. The problem with Gentoo is the developers and some of the community. There have been many internal issues with the developers which has caused some terrible package implementations and serious delays on certain things. The forums are generally helpful as long as you've read the documentation.

Gentoo is great for learning about the inner workings of a Linux system, but outside of a learning/hobby system, its not very useful. The performance gains from compiling everything from source is only noticeable in specific cases (and even then will only be like 10%). If customization is your thing, then Gentoo has plenty to offer.

And if you really want to man up, check out the bastard love child of Gentoo and FreeBSD: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/fbsd/

swolf
Aug 25, 2004
i need instructions on how to rock

mystes posted:

Most likely there will be no way to do data recovery since PTP is probably too high level to allow you to access anything lower level than images. Gvfs-mount won't help that problem because it just uses fuse to create a virtual filesystem over the protocol the camera is being accessed through.

Edit: You probably would have already tried this if it was possible but is there a way to put the camera into an MSC mode (without reformatting the memory)?

Ah I see. I didn't know what PTP was, but upon looking it up I think you are right. Oh well :(

But yeah, as far as I can tell, the camera doesn't even have the ability to do any sort of MSC mode at all. That would have made things a lot easier, or at least more obvious. I think I might see if there are homebrew firmwares available that have that ability.

Thanks for the help!

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Granted I haven't used Gentoo in 4+ years, but back when I did I found that successfully installing a package via portage was akin to flipping a coin. It was that bad. Worse still, this was the first major Linux distribution I had used, so I always thought that Linux package management systems were shoddy across the board.

I switched over to Debian back then, and was shocked when every single package I installed was instant and successful.

This is all understandable due to Gentoo's choice to compile everything from source, but I feel that it gives users a poor impression of what Linux can be like. Maybe you'll learn the basics hacking away at source packages to try to get them to compile, but it's not really an environment conducive to usability. Just because your primary package management system doesn't force you to compile everything from source doesn't mean it's not suitable for your advanced needs.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

SynVisions posted:

This is all understandable due to Gentoo's choice to compile everything from source, but I feel that it gives users a poor impression of what Linux can be like. Maybe you'll learn the basics hacking away at source packages to try to get them to compile, but it's not really an environment conducive to usability. Just because your primary package management system doesn't force you to compile everything from source doesn't mean it's not suitable for your advanced needs.

Compiling everything from source can be pretty powerful when you realize that the binary package might not be compiled with all the options you want (ssl support comes to mind). Then you realize that this is 2010, not 1990, and my system is powerful enough to load the OpenSSl libraries even if I'm not using them, and then compiling everything makes no loving sense again.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

SynVisions posted:

Granted I haven't used Gentoo in 3-4 years, but back when I did I found that successfully installing a package via portage was akin to flipping a coin. It was that bad. Worse still, this was the first major Linux distribution I had used, so I always thought that Linux package management systems were shoddy across the board.
Gentoo is far more stable now than it was 3-4 years ago. It's not very often that Portage has problems these days. And when something is wrong, like missing USE flags, Portage will actually tell you this rather than simply failing.

SynVisions posted:

Just because your primary package management system doesn't force you to compile everything from source doesn't mean it's not suitable for your advanced needs.
Oh absolutely. If I just want to get something up and running in a stable environment, Debian is usually what I'll go for (or Ubuntu on occasion). I like Gentoo on my desktop as something to play with, but its certainly not something I'd expect everyone to do.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FISHMANPET posted:

Compiling everything from source can be pretty powerful when you realize that the binary package might not be compiled with all the options you want (ssl support comes to mind). Then you realize that this is 2010, not 1990, and my system is powerful enough to load the OpenSSl libraries even if I'm not using them, and then compiling everything makes no loving sense again.

Then again, todays systems can compile most poo poo in like 2 minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kind of a dumb question I was thinking about for some reason. I remember a long time ago telnetting into servers, there'd be a ton of people all in one server at the same time.

Are there generally limits on how many people you can have logged in at one time, or does it just get slower and slower as memory/disk/cpu/bandwith are used up? What about back then?

I'm thinking like the library type systems where you could search for books instead of a card catalog, or the old ISP servers you dialed into (I guess the # of modems would be your limit)

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
On a modern system there's probably an effective hard limit around the 32000 simultaneous user region because of PID exhaustion, but that could be raised if it presented a problem and there weren't any legacy processes on the system that depended on 16-bit PIDs. Memory, bandwidth, and CPU usage are far more likely to be the limiting factors.

Old systems actually wouldn't be much different, as long as they were UNIX-like. For dedicated systems like a card catalog, there may not even be process-per-user stuff going on, so the limit could be much higher.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bob Morales posted:

Then again, todays systems can compile most poo poo in like 2 minutes.

I meant in the runtimes. The only reason I would want to compile binary without SSL support or whatever, since I can turn that feature off in the configuration, is because I don't want my binary to load those libraries and slow down the program. But hardware is fast enough that it doesn't matter.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

IanMalcolm posted:

I think there's two kinds of potential fun here, there's ironing out issues related to configuration or something that might actually lead to learning, and then there's why isn't this compiling, what does this error mean, are all my dependencies new enough (or too new?!!?) apply 20 different patches you don't understand just to get to the point of configuration.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I've read that there's some work being done to enable hardware-assisted HD playback on Linux. Does this work at all? What type of system is required? Will it work with just any HD movie, or are particular file formats or encodings required?

I have an old AMD64 system and it'd be nice to be able to use it to stream media from my fileserver, but it's so old that I know it won't be fast enough to play HD. (I don't need 1080p, because my display can't do it. It can do 1080i, but even just 720p would be nice.)

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010
So, considering the amount of free time I have (goes to zero), I'll install Debian on my production machine and keep playing with Gentoo and FreeBSD on VMs.

How stable is Debian Unstable these days? Way back in the day I used to run testing and it gave me a few headaches, unstable was, well, unstable.

edit:

vlack posted:

I've read that there's some work being done to enable hardware-assisted HD playback on Linux. Does this work at all? What type of system is required? Will it work with just any HD movie, or are particular file formats or encodings required?

NVidia cards have a tecnology called PureVideo on windows. Basically it uses CUDA over DirectX to decode some formats (h.264 being the most notable, also the most usable). Since PureVideo depends on DirectX, it will never come to Linux. Now, CUDA works on linux and there's an SDK for that, so there are projects working on hardware acceleration for video. The project that comes to mind now is XmVC (I think that's the name, X motion Video Compensation, I'm too lazy to look it up). It's an extension to X11, but I haven't been able to get it to work.
XBMC has a liveCD that seems to implement that or something similar to play 1080p x264 video entirely in the GPU.

So, basically, your best bet it an NVidia card and x264 video, which is what you should be using anyway.

IanMalcolm fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 7, 2010

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

IanMalcolm posted:

So, considering the amount of free time I have (goes to zero), I'll install Debian on my production machine and keep playing with Gentoo and FreeBSD on VMs.

How stable is Debian Unstable these days? Way back in the day I used to run testing and it gave me a few headaches, unstable was, well, unstable.

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Labeling it unstable means it is well, unstable. Why would you consider that for a production machine?

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

Virigoth posted:

I'm not sure what you are looking for here. Labeling it unstable means it is well, unstable. Why would you consider that for a production machine?

Because I like to live on the edge?
See, I've used Unstable back in the days of Potato (do they still name Debian after Toy Story characters?). Then I switched to Ubuntu, which used Debian Unstable for their base, mostly. I've been away from Debian eversince.

My main computer currently runs Ubuntu, and I usually run the late alphas, early betas. What I'm asking is if running Debian Unstable will be a similar experience.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No. Ubuntu imports from Debian and then stabilizes it, while Debian Unstable is a moving target.

mystes
May 31, 2006

IanMalcolm posted:

NVidia cards have a tecnology called PureVideo on windows. Basically it uses CUDA over DirectX to decode some formats (h.264 being the most notable, also the most usable). Since PureVideo depends on DirectX, it will never come to Linux.
There has been linux support for purevideo for a long time. If you have a video card with purevideo support there are drivers for various video players. There is work on various other types of video acceleration for other cards but none if it is complete so purevideo is your best bet.

Sojourner
Jun 6, 2007

Get In
How would one recover from "chmod 000 /bin/chmod"? I was asked that question the other day and I don't have an answer other then fix with a boot disc or get a new copy of chmod.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Sojourner posted:

How would one recover from "chmod 000 /bin/chmod"? I was asked that question the other day and I don't have an answer other then fix with a boot disc or get a new copy of chmod.
I think you could compile chmod (or just get a binary version of it) and use that copy to change permission on the original copy.

Or you could just make sure the root fs is FAT32. :suicide:

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

It's easier to just do something like this:

code:
perl -e 'chmod 0755, "/bin/chmod"'
The perl interpreter is just going to call the standard chmod library function: http://www.gnu.org/s/libc/manual/html_node/Setting-Permissions.html

It doesn't actually try to track down the chmod binary or anything silly like that.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 9, 2010

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

You can also invoke the linux dynamic loader directly and skip filesystem executable permissions.

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /bin/chmod 755 /bin/chmod

Sneaking Mission fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 9, 2010

IanMalcolm
Jan 22, 2010

mystes posted:

There has been linux support for purevideo for a long time. If you have a video card with purevideo support there are drivers for various video players. There is work on various other types of video acceleration for other cards but none if it is complete so purevideo is your best bet.

Turns out you were right. I don't know how I missed that.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Here's a crapload of questions.

If I've got a iDRAC, you know I can access the console either via the web client (console=tty0), or by SSH (console=ttyS0), and I can get kernel messages to go to both by specifying both. But, /dev/console only gets attached to whichever is specified last, which means the output from startup and shutdown scripts only goes to one and not the other. Is there any way to work around that so that my admins can use either the web client or SSH, and get the full output regardless of which they're using, and regardless of which way the machine was previously booted? Basically, I guess, I either need init to do something fancy and write to two terminals, or I need to duplicate /dev/console somehow. This is CentOS 5.4 and iDRAC 6 Enterprise, if it matters. Alternatively, if there were some way to get the iDRAC web client (java client) to use the serial console instead of tty0, I guess that would do the trick, too.

Also, I understand that doing a 'console -h com2' in the iDRAC CLI is supposed to show me the console history buffer, but it does not.

Unrelated question, I'm having various nagging issues with Anaconda in its network setup routines. I'd like to do some debugging by adding some additional logging and whatnot, what's the best way to do this? I'm assuming I have to crack open the initrd and build a new one every time I wish to try something, or is there an easier way?

I'm setting up networking on the box being installed by using the 'network' command in a kickstart file with --bootproto=static, and then specifying all the information with --ip=, --netmask=, etc. I was originally thinking that I wanted the box to be installed with --hostname= set to the machine's short name, not the fully-qualified name, since a bunch of existing scripts (previous Solaris environment) depend on the 'hostname' command returning the short name and not the fully-qualified name. However, if I do --hostname= with the short name, then Anaconda has trouble because there's a point where it tries to do a lookup on the hostname, which fails since there's (apparently) no point where I can also specify a DNS search path. If I specify the long name or no name at all, it works, but the host gets installed with its hostname set to the long name. Is there any answer aside from editing the relevant config files in a postinstall script? Some way to specify a DNS search path or to tell it to not try to do a lookup on the hostname and just use the already-specified IP and hostname information?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

vlack posted:

I have an old AMD64 system and it'd be nice to be able to use it to stream media from my fileserver, but it's so old that I know it won't be fast enough to play HD. (I don't need 1080p, because my display can't do it. It can do 1080i, but even just 720p would be nice.)

Both XBMC and MPlayer supports VDPAU if you've got a decent NVIDIA card (I don't, but my computer's more than powerful enough to do 1080p). There's also the Broadcom Crystal HD card which XBMC is working on together with the company, which will make full HD playback possible on low-end devices through hardware decoding.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
On using sed:

I'm trying to reformat some lines in a text file. First thing I need to do is change a date format. A line looks like:
code:
Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated.
I want to change "Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009" into "2009-12-16 17:09:05". Linux `date` does this nicely:
code:
# date --date='Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009' '+%F %T'
2009-12-16 17:09:05
Therefore, I was going to try using date, sed, and sed's "&" to start replacing tokens. However, I can't quite get it to work.
code:
# echo "Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated." | sed -e "s/.\{28\}/`date --date='&' '+%F %T'`/"
date: invalid date `&'
: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - [email]name@email.com[/email] authenticated.
It's not treating the ampersand how I would expect it. Two quick tests and show I'm almost there, but still something isn't quite right.
code:
# echo "Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated." | sed -e "s/.\{28\}/`date --date='Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009' '+%F %T'`/"
2009-12-16 17:09:05: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated.

# echo "Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated." | sed -e "s/.\{28\}/==&==/"
==Wed Dec 16 17:09:05 PST 2009==: SchedulingPortletView.jsp - name@email.com authenticated.
I've tried quite a few different mixes of escape characters, but still no luck. What am I missing?

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

When you execute that sed command with backticks, your shell is going to run the stuff in backticks first, then take the result of that and feed it back into the original command, and then run it. That's why you're getting literal interpretations of the ampersand, because your shell is literally executing the contents of the backticks, and sed has no involvement at this point.

Honestly for something like this I'd just write a simple bash or perl script. It will only take you a few lines.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Oh. Good point. Is there a way to execute shell commands within the scope of sed? I saw some reference to using $([command]) but haven't had any luck with that either. I don't know perl well enough to whip up something like this, and with a bash script I'd probably embed sed and fall into the same trap. :(

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

ExileStrife posted:

Oh. Good point. Is there a way to execute shell commands within the scope of sed? I saw some reference to using $([command]) but haven't had any luck with that either. I don't know perl well enough to whip up something like this, and with a bash script I'd probably embed sed and fall into the same trap. :(

$() is synonymous with ``.

Now is as good of a time as any to learn Perl or Python. You're really limiting your ability to solve problems like this without knowledge of any major scripting language. So I guess it depends on if this is a full-time job or serious hobby for you. :)

Regardless, you can do it in a bash script, and using sed is fine. Just iterate through all of your lines in a loop, the first step is to grab the date in a variable and transform the contents of that variable with date or whatever tool you want. Use sed again to replace the date with your new date. Not the most elegant solution, but workable and easy.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
If nothing else crops up, I'll do that. I probably led you on to believe I know a lot less about bash scripting than I actually do by highlighting my stubbornness to try to do this with one line here. If I can't do it in a sed one-liner (which I was shooting for), yes, some simple loops will work out in the end. Anyway, thanks!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 13, 2017

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

It sounds like something is wrong with the bootable image on your USB drive. I'd format it and try again with a different tool?

If you want to verify this, just slide out your HDD and try booting from the USB drive again. Either that, or just burn a CD and try booting from that instead. If all else fails, download a bootable image of something other than FreeBSD and try that. Either way you need to do some troubleshooting to narrow down the problem first. If it's just jumping straight into Windows it has little to do with FreeBSD and more that it's either not using the boot order you expected, or the boot files are bad.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

GregNorc posted:

Cross posting this from the BSD thread since I'm not sure which thread is more relevant...

So I just got a Thinkpad X201, and I'd like to run FreeBSD on it.

I changed the boot order to put USB at the top, and disabled quick boot.

I then used unetbootin to create a usb drive that I could install the OS from.

However, when I boot the laptop it just tries to go into the Windows 7 setup. I tried hitting F12 and manually specifying the USB drive, and it still just ends up at the windows setup.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm kind of getting worried... this is an issue that would effect installing any sort of alternate OS... I could live with installing Ubuntu or something instead, this was mostly a spur of the moment thing, but I need to solve this issue to install _any_ sort of non-windows OS, so I'm hoping someone has some ideas so my $1300 laptop does not end up a paperweight...

Edit: Also, I tried both the unetbootin preset for FreeBSD, as well as the .iso from their website, neither worked.

Ive had major issues with unetbootin recently. . . Best thing is to check FreeBSDs site and find their "USB Boot" instructions, or google around. Unetbootin has gone downhill like crazy in recent months in my honest.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Is there something I can install to make mouse acceleration in Ubuntu not chomp down on horse dicks? Regardless of how I set it, my mouse just flies all over the place. The ability to map my mouse buttons would be nice too.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GregNorc posted:

I'm guessing the issue is I used the CD .img and not the memory stick image.

However, I can create it on my main computer, which runs OSX, I just had mentioned windows since unetbootin has no OSX version.

Right now I used "diskutil list" to find the approriate hard drive in /dev then ran "dd if=~/Documents/Downloads/8.0-RELEASE-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/disk2"

It'd be nice to see a progress bar or have some sort of way of verifying it worked though, the first time it booted to a black screen, so I think I removed the USB drive too early. I'm gonna also try just writing the memstick image with unetbootin if this method fails.

So yeah, if anyone has any ideas for verifying the image wrote correctly that'd be helpful, but I think this should solve the big issue.

Try to keep it to one thread.

There are a couple ways to get a progress bar for dd, Google returns about 5 different ways.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

GregNorc posted:

Yeah, all of them seem to rely on random linux programs though :(

Well the write just finished at least. Now I can do it again, since I just realized I should have used the 64 bit version.

If you send a USR1 signal (kill -USR1 <pid>) it will display how much bits dd has copied, though in base 10 instead of base 2. As long as you know about how big the source file is you can get an idea of how far it's gone.