Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
not the best photos since it's all green and grey but here's my greenstuffed farseer, wrists need filed and I need to pin the destructor flame blast (my oath plan B) to the hand, but first i've gotta find a way to cut the hairpin i stuck it on since I could't find my box of paperclips :/ resisted the clippers and the razor saw so far, and it's too wide for a normal pinhole too urgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There is owns, there is pwns, and then there is this. This qwns.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I keep looking for a screaming skull modelled into the end, otherwise perfect :v:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
great job on the cloak!!

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology

Yog-Sothoth posted:

not the best photos since it's all green and grey but here's my greenstuffed farseer, wrists need filed and I need to pin the destructor flame blast (my oath plan B) to the hand, but first i've gotta find a way to cut the hairpin i stuck it on since I could't find my box of paperclips :/ resisted the clippers and the razor saw so far, and it's too wide for a normal pinhole too urgh

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu …

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Thats definitely the best marine youve done so far, the scheme looks pretty nice :)

Sole.Sushi posted:

:words: and pics of tzeentch duder

I like it, if anything it seems like you ran into some trouble with the folds in the coat, but thats probably the hardest thing Ive ever tried (and never really pulled off). The base is cool. When are you going to paint that beast?

Yog-Sothoth posted:

farseerness

Hot drat. I am really, really into this

Morning
Aug 10, 2008

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Thats.... awesome.

How did you do the blast?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats definitely the best marine youve done so far, the scheme looks pretty nice :)

Dawww, thanks :3:

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Build up the red in layers - put on a layer of a darker red (Scab/Mechrite/Skorne Red work) before the coat of Blood Red and it'll pop a lot more. Other than that he owns.

I did: Scorched brown, scab red, blood red on all the red parts except the bolter casing, where I got lazy :iamafag:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
conquistador ogres not as cool as froggy guys

from cavalcade

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Here's what I am working on between my thesis...

Still really rough, but I have the body of the defiler mostly done except for cleaning highlights. I need to work on the grinders weapon and pick out details on the whole thing.

It's supposed to be Malal themed... I dunno, is that stupid?

Aetilus
May 8, 2005

by Lowtax
the only things that are ruining it for me are the huge ruffled collar and the fact that your blood splatter looks like pink frills. combined with the black/white scheme I am expecting you to put a clown hat on him next.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Aetilus posted:

the only things that are ruining it for me are the huge ruffled collar and the fact that your blood splatter looks like pink frills. combined with the black/white scheme I am expecting you to put a clown hat on him next.

It's not blood splatter, it supposed to be irritated/infected flesh where the hoses and poo poo are connecting to the organic demon.

The fur is pretty much disliked across the board, I guess that's fine. I like the fur, I am not sure I like having it halved.

I also hate the skeleton, but whatever. It's done. I don't want to gently caress with it that much more and I have no good ideas. :/

On a different note:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dire-Bear-35-26...=item439e627c4e

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Bear-Reti...=item439dfd49e0

How poorly would you judge me for using either of these as attack bikes? Obviously converted. But bears. Which would you prefer between those two?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Morning posted:

Thats.... awesome.

How did you do the blast?

The blast is a blob of greenstuff in a rounded cone shape on a hair pin (paperclip would have been better this loving bobby pin is impossible to cut, I'm gonna need bolt clippers or something :( ), twisted around a little bit to give it some turns and bends, then when the GS has cured just a bit, start pulling chunks from the fat end towards the thin end with a small pair of pliers to get the wispy foldy bits, then push with a sculpting tool into the GS towards the fat end to make the deeper recesses. Once it's cured a bit you can poke around the folds and bits that stick out to balance the shape out a bit without ruining the details, was surprisingly easy. The cloak is mostly cast from the lower half of the cloak on the actual farseer model that I bisected to make him, made a greenstuff mould, cast a lower cloak half from it, hacked away at the cast until it was thin and smooth enough to pass for an actual flowing cloak then positioned it at an angle to the body and filled in the cap with greenstuff sculpted to match the folds on the top and bottom halves, then filed everything down as smooth as I could. My first real attempt at greenstuff apart from filling gaps so I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You sure about the scale on those bears? Because it could look reeeeally ludicrous if it's not just right.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fix posted:

You sure about the scale on those bears? Because it could look reeeeally ludicrous if it's not just right.

Not particularly. I think the second one is about 2.5in tall if the description is to be belived. They need to be about as tall as a marine for this to work out. That is actually really tall.

They have "cubs" which are only 1.5 inches tall. That might work better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Black-...=item3ef15c4885
they are a little :v: though.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 6, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

!amicable posted:

They have "cubs" which are only 1.5 inches tall. That might work better:
http://cgi.ebay.com/American-Black-...=item3ef15c4885
they are a little :v: though.

This one. Oh god. This one. I don't care what kind of army it is.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Don't tempt me to do it. My decision making with respect to miniature purchases has been questionable of late.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

!amicable posted:

Here's what I am working on between my thesis...

Still really rough, but I have the body of the defiler mostly done except for cleaning highlights. I need to work on the grinders weapon and pick out details on the whole thing.

It's supposed to be Malal themed... I dunno, is that stupid?

This owns. My wife is re-playing Persona 4 right now, and she just got past that boss. This is like the only warham that hasn't left her shaking her head at me and my hobbies.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fix posted:

This one. Oh god. This one. I don't care what kind of army it is.

I'm seconding this pick.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
oh man am I going to spend 5 bucks on a joke bear miniature

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

MasterSlowPoke posted:

oh man I am going to spend 5 bucks on a joke bear miniature

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Compared to how much the minis for the actual game are isn't $5 super cheap?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

bhsman posted:

I need help with a paint scheme for Eldar:

Basically was planning to go about it the same way as PV's guide, but with green. I don't play on it to be quite so dark, I was a bit limited by the painter. I do want it to be kind of dark, like an inverse Biel-Tan. Anything I should do to change it? Also, if I were to paint robes, what would be a good complimentary color?

Bringing this up again from earlier, a little google-fu later and I found this...

So yea, I think I'm pretty much going with dark green.

Or maybe just Biel-Tan :fap:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is no joke :byobear:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
bhsman, I've been trying to figure out how to paint my Eldar as well. I have acan of the bone coloured(!) Army Painter stuff, so I'm going to use it. That's the base coat. I'm think recessed/inner parts to be brown, like bestial brown, with a light clear blue for gems/eyes.

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks
My housemate has a large, but mostly unpainted, Dark Eldar army.

He is bribing me in to painting with the purchase of toy soldiers for my own army. He says he is not too fussed on how it looks, so long as I don't paint them in tip-ex.

I have no problem painting things like Raiders and Jetbikes, however the mass of infantry before is a bit daunting - so I thought I would give painting them almost entirely with washes to saves time. I did the Wyches below in about 90 minutes - fast for me anyways!

Suggestions are welcome - the girl on the left is one that was done earlier.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

I like it, if anything it seems like you ran into some trouble with the folds in the coat, but thats probably the hardest thing Ive ever tried (and never really pulled off). The base is cool. When are you going to paint that beast?

Yes, that is exactly what the problem with it is. As for when I'm going to paint it, I have no actual plans to paint it any time soon, so I have no freakin' idea.

... Wanna paint it for me? :ninja:

ANAmal.net posted:

This owns. My wife is re-playing Persona 4 right now, and she just got past that boss. This is like the only warham that hasn't left her shaking her head at me and my hobbies.

Your wife = best wife.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Feeple posted:

bhsman, I've been trying to figure out how to paint my Eldar as well. I have acan of the bone coloured(!) Army Painter stuff, so I'm going to use it. That's the base coat. I'm think recessed/inner parts to be brown, like bestial brown, with a light clear blue for gems/eyes.

That's similar to the idea for my lion marines (RIP :gbsmith:), my only problem was that the spray ran out after what should have covered only about 10-15 dudes. Good luck. :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Whats the differance between a wash and a glaze?

As far as I can tell they are almost exactly the same but somehow magically do different things.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bhyo posted:

Whats the differance between a wash and a glaze?

As far as I can tell they are almost exactly the same but somehow magically do different things.

A wash is designed to flow off the raised surfaces and into the recesses for shading

A glaze is much much thinner and is designed to cover the whole surface in a transparent layer of pigment.

Getting the thickness of a glaze right can be hard, but you can get glazing mediums that do the work for you

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Skarsnik posted:

A wash is designed to flow off the raised surfaces and into the recesses for shading

A glaze is much much thinner and is designed to cover the whole surface in a transparent layer of pigment.

Getting the thickness of a glaze right can be hard, but you can get glazing mediums that do the work for you

Pro note, airbrushing a wash on acts a little like a glaze & less like a wash...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Skarsnik posted:

So basically a glaze is a wash without using something to break the surface tension to simplify it?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Welp, finished assembling and priming my seer

now need to work out colours, I'm probably keeping to theme with orange-red armor, at the moment I'm thinking bone/white robes, blue belt/sash, dont know about the head though. Im also thinking maybe bluewhite fire for the blast? Just wondering if there might not be enough contrast with orange/red arm and standard red fire. Jetbike I got no idea but I'm thinking mostly orange, maybe sectioned with blue on the front

FlannelShirt
Nov 6, 2009

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Welp, finished assembling and priming my seer
now need to work out colours, I'm probably keeping to theme with orange-red armor, at the moment I'm thinking bone/white robes, blue belt/sash, dont know about the head though. Im also thinking maybe bluewhite fire for the blast? Just wondering if there might not be enough contrast with orange/red arm and standard red fire. Jetbike I got no idea but I'm thinking mostly orange, maybe sectioned with blue on the front

You could go with a ghostly green-type color for the flame to provide more contrast than the blue, maybe?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bhyo posted:

So basically a glaze is a wash without using something to break the surface tension to simplify it?

Its applied super, super thin, and doesnt run into the recesses.

I AM A SUBMARINE
Dec 4, 2005

Can Green Stuff be used over an armature, or will it shrink/crack when it cures?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Pretty sure I've seen some tutorials where a wire frame armiture (made out of a paperclip or whatever) is used, so it should be fine.

Yeah, here ya go!

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/sculpting.htm

http://40kmaunderings.blogspot.com/2009/08/sculpting-201-pinning-armature-and.html

Dr. Phildo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 6, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

CreepyWalkingRobot posted:

Can Green Stuff be used over an armature, or will it shrink/crack when it cures?

Yes, GS doesnt shrink or crack

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Skarsnik posted:

Two fun things to play with are glaze medium and matt medium.

Glaze medium is a glossy clear acrylic that "thins" the pigment of the paint without thinning the consistency. So you can do poo poo like this:

Take a normal mixture of paint+water e.g. Badmoon Yellow and water 2:1
Then add some glaze medium to the mix say 3 parts and get 3:2:1, glaze/paint/water.

This will be no thinner consistency wise than the normal mix but it will allow you to paint transulecently some yellow over a base colour for a nice tint.

I'm not a huge fan of glaze mediums though as they tend to dry quiet glossy, which is why I like option no.2 Matt medium/Acylic medium. Use it exactly the same way as above without the glossiness.

If anyone's interested I've probably got a spare primed marine somewhere I can show the effect on? (It'll take a while though as my wrist is pretty much permanently hosed now, oldman diesease at 32 :( )

FAKE EDIT: I use matt mediums a LOT, especially on faces as it makes highlighting them a piece of cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just ordered one of those series 7 "miniature" brushes, with the shorter hairs. Ill post a trip report as soon as I get a chance to use it

• Locked thread