Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TheTourist posted:

Anyone in Toronto?

The University of Toronto's student cinema society has been showing free movies for years, usually on 32mm film. They recently got a fancy digital projector, and I saw the Criterion Blu-Ray of Pierrot le Fou. I find Godard to be incredibly boring, but the image quality was AMAZING. Seeing a Blu-Ray on a 70 foot screen really shows off how good it looks. It looked almost as good as a movie theatre to me.

I live in the residence across from there actually. If you think it's good now you should have taken a class when they only had a crappy dvd projector, watching a film noir when your projector has lovely black levels is like pulling teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
gently caress yes. Antichrist was one of my top 3 from last year. It will probably be my first Criterion Blu-ray. 8 1/2, Seventh Seal, or Third Man would have been but I've made a vow to myself that I won't buy Blu-rays of DVDs I already own or I know I would spend myself bankrupt.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

azechiel posted:

gently caress yes. Antichrist was one of my top 3 from last year. It will probably be my first Criterion Blu-ray. 8 1/2, Seventh Seal, or Third Man would have been but I've made a vow to myself that I won't buy Blu-rays of DVDs I already own or I know I would spend myself bankrupt.

That's a horrible vow. Sell those DVDs and put the money towards the Blu-Rays.

The upgrade...oh the upgrade

Click here for the full 1437x1081 image.

Click here for the full 1437x1080 image.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful. I just don't have the cash. Maybe after I graduate and am no longer a poor college student. Or if they decide to do Brazil.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo!/photo.php?pid=12238825&id=24856820564

We all know Hausu is coming. I wonder if "From today's screening" for this, and Antichrist yesterday, means those will be in the July announcements.

I'm actually a bit bummed that they've been telling us so much about their future plans. The 15th is more fun when there's more surprises (although there still have been a few surprises anyway).

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

FitFortDanga posted:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=12238825&id=24856820564

We all know Hausu is coming. I wonder if "From today's screening" for this, and Antichrist yesterday, means those will be in the July announcements.

I'm actually a bit bummed that they've been telling us so much about their future plans. The 15th is more fun when there's more surprises (although there still have been a few surprises anyway).

It's possible these are just high-demand titles that aren't ready yet, so non-announcement announcements are a way of encouraging patience.

Also if you want surprises don't read all the spoilers!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

It's possible these are just high-demand titles that aren't ready yet, so non-announcement announcements are a way of encouraging patience.

Also if you want surprises don't read all the spoilers!

I can't help it :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

azechiel posted:

gently caress yes. Antichrist was one of my top 3 from last year.

I put it in my top ten last year too. However, I don't know if I can endure another screening of it. It's a rather difficult picture to watch.

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

I put it in my top ten last year too. However, I don't know if I can endure another screening of it. It's a rather difficult picture to watch.

It'll be worth having just for people's reactions. "You OWN this?"

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

APatheticPoster posted:

It'll be worth having just for people's reactions. "You OWN this?"

I already have Salo and In the Realm of the Senses for that. :colbert:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

I already have Salo and In the Realm of the Senses for that. :colbert:

You know people who know what those movies are? :smith: In my group of friends, my shocking opinion is that Transformers 2 sucks.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

You know people who know what those movies are? :smith: In my group of friends, my shocking opinion is that Transformers 2 sucks.

Haha, no. But whenever a friend pulls a copy off the shelf I have to explain it to them. I buddy of mine once pulled my copy of Salo off the shelf and inquired me about it. After going into great detail about the film he turned to look at the cover and said "Yeah, this looks like something that I'd have a hard time watching."

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The complete rundown of By Brakhage Volume Two:

DVD DISC ONE
The Wonder Ring 1955 · 5 minutes, 34 seconds · 16 mm · silent
The Dead 1960 · 10 minutes, 21 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Two: Creeley/McClure 1965 · 3 minutes, 12 seconds · 16 mm · silent
23rd Psalm Branch 1966 · 66 minutes · 8 mm · silent
Scenes From Under Childhood, Section One 1967 · 23 minutes, 43 seconds · 16 mm · silent with optional soundtrack
The Machine of Eden 1970 · 10 minutes, 45 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Star Garden 1974 · 20 minutes, 58 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Desert 1976 · 10 minutes, 7 seconds · Super8 mm · silent

DVD DISC TWO
The Process 1972 · 7 minutes, 21 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Burial Path 1978 · 8 minutes, 2 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Duplicity III 1980 · 22 minutes, 18 seconds · 16 mm · silent
The Domain of the Moment 1977 · 14 minutes, 33 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Murder Psalm 1980 · 16 minutes, 31 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Arabic 12 1982 · 17 minutes, 1 second · 16 mm · silent
Visions in Meditation #1 1989 · 16 minutes, 19 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Visions in Meditation #2 (Mesa Verde) 1989 · 16 minutes, 9 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Visions in Meditation #3 (Plato's Cave) 1990 · 16 minutes, 36 seconds · 16 mm · monaural
Visions in Meditation #4 (D.H. Lawrence) 1990 · 17 minutes, 41 seconds · 16 mm · silent

DVD DISC THREE
Unconscious London Strata 1982 · 22 minutes, 15 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Boulder Blues and Pearls And… 1992 · 22 minutes, 23 seconds · monaural
The Mammals of Victoria 1994 · 34 minutes, 9 seconds · 16 mm · silent
From: First Hymn to the Night -Novalis 1994 · 2 minutes, 52 seconds · 16 mm · silent
I Take These Truths 1995 · 17 minutes, 44 seconds · 16 mm · silent
The Cat of the Worm's Green Realm 1997 · 14 minutes, 10 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Yggdrasill: Whose Roots Are Stars in the Human Mind 1997 · 16 minutes, 59 seconds · 16 mm · silent
“…” Reel 5 1998 · 14 minutes, 6 seconds · 16 mm · monaural
Persian Series #1-3 1999 · 5 minutes, 54 seconds · 16 mm · silent
Chinese Series 2003 · 2 minutes, 18 seconds · 35 mm · silent

Same list of titles as previously posted, just thought people might be interested in the details.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Well, this is pretty obvious, and already firmly established as a coming release.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you
wackyfoxeatingentrails.jpg

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, this is pretty obvious, and already firmly established as a coming release.

This is great news. I love the Disney Robin Hood, furries be damned.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sheldrake posted:

This is great news. I love the Disney Robin Hood, furries be damned.

:confused: I'm pretty sure it's The Fox and the Hound, he's not wearing any clothes.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

FitFortDanga posted:

Ohh this has to be Antichrist, isn't it? I hope so, I will be so excited :neckbeard:

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

Cacator posted:

:confused: I'm pretty sure it's The Fox and the Hound, he's not wearing any clothes.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, the Unrated Director's Cut.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

some guy at cf.org posted:

L'Enfance nue is in the works.

This was posted without any other details or corroboration, so take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't buy it, but it's pretty good... kind of a more realist version of 400 Blows.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Criterion are currently filming an interview in our boardroom for their release of Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just posted on Criterion's Facebook:

Too bad I already imported it from the UK :(
(It's Fish Tank)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Too bad I already imported it from the UK :(

This is one of the main reasons I don't like to import. I'm always afraid the US release is right around the corner, and it'll be superior. I already got burned on Seventh Seal... if and when Criterion releases Double Life of Veronique, I'll probably double-dip (or triple-dip if you count the DVD) again.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The worst part about the Fish Tank Blu-Ray from the UK is that it doesn't have subtitles - which, if you've seen the movie, you'd know are a requirement at some points. I'll probably be double-dipping on this for that reason alone :(

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

therattle posted:

Criterion are currently filming an interview in our boardroom for their release of Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence

Good God have I been waiting for this one.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just caved and bought Fantastic Mr. Fox on Blu-Ray today, so expect Criterion to announce it in the next year or so, speaking of double dips

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I highly doubt it'll be a Criterion now, as they would have to justify a new release just for supplements. It would have to be absolutely loaded, with Starewicz' "The Tale of the Fox" included. Then again, Criterion released Armageddon only four months after Disney's bare-bones edition.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
Well, I mean we still haven't gotten Darjeeling Limited from them yet, so...

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

So does the last shot of Bigger than Life remind anyone else of the last shot of A Clockwork Orange?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

So does the last shot of Bigger than Life remind anyone else of the last shot of A Clockwork Orange?

Oh yes, absolutely. Mason might as well be saying "I was cured, alright". I'm certain the sense of impending doom is intentional.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'm assuming that was a censorship-related ending, but Jesus it is sinister as hell. That kid is dead.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

penismightier posted:

I'm assuming that was a censorship-related ending, but Jesus it is sinister as hell. That kid is dead.

Well, that's what he gets for sucking at football. :colbert:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

I highly doubt it'll be a Criterion now, as they would have to justify a new release just for supplements. It would have to be absolutely loaded, with Starewicz' "The Tale of the Fox" included. Then again, Criterion released Armageddon only four months after Disney's bare-bones edition.

I still wonder why the hell there's a Criterion Collection edition of Armageddon.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I still wonder why the hell there's a Criterion Collection edition of Armageddon.

To make mad bank.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CPL593H posted:

Read the thread, because this comes up over and over again.

It should be new announcements today. If the Facebook images mean anything, they should include Antichrist, Hausu, and Fish Tank. We shall see.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Read the thread, because this comes up over and over again.

It should be new announcements today. If the Facebook images mean anything, they should include Antichrist, Hausu, and Fish Tank. We shall see.

I don't think Antichrist. They said it would be for Fall.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They're just starting to pop up, I expect there will be a couple more....

#44 - The Red Shoes (reissue DVD/Blu-Ray, July 20th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentary by film historian Ian Christie, featuring interviews with stars Marius Goring and Moira Shearer, cinematographer Jack Cardiff, composer Brian Easdale, and filmmaker Martin Scorsese
* Introductory restoration demonstration with Scorsese
* Profile of “The Red Shoes” (2000), a twenty-five-minute documentary
* Video interview with Thelma Schoonmaker Powell, Michael Powell’s widow
* Gallery from Scorsese’s collection of The Red Shoes memorabilia
* The “Red Shoes” Sketches, an animated film made from Hein Heckroth’s painted storyboards
* Readings by actor Jeremy Irons of excerpts from Powell and Pressburger’s novelization of The Red Shoes and the original Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Christie

#93 - Black Narcissus (reissue DVD/Blu-Ray, July 20th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Video introduction by French filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier
* Audio commentary featuring the late director Michael Powell and filmmaker Martin Scorsese
* The Audacious Adventurer, a 2006 video piece in which Tavernier discusses Black Narcissus and Powell
* Profile of “Black Narcissus” (2000), a twenty-five-minute documentary
* Painting with Light, a twenty-seven-minute documentary about Jack Cardiff’s Oscar-winning cinematography on Black Narcissus
* Original theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

#524/525 - The Only Son/There Was a Father: Two Films By Yasujiro Ozu (DVD box set, July 13th)

* New high-definition digital transfers
* New video interviews with Japanese film scholar Tadao Sato and film scholars David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson
* New and improved English subtitle translations
* PLUS: Booklets featuring essays by film scholar Tony Rayns and reprints of pieces by actor Chishu Ryu and scholar Donald Richie

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#526 - The Secret of the Grain (DVD/Blu-Ray, July 27th)

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Abdellatif Kechiche (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New video interview with Kechiche
* Sueur, Kechiche’s captivating extended version of the film’s climactic belly dancing sequence, featuring a new introduction by the director
* New video interview with film scholar Ludovic Cortade
* Excerpt from a 20 heures television interview with Kechiche and actress Hafsia Herzi
* Video interviews with Herzi, actress Bouraouïa Marzouk, and the film’s musicians
Theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Wesley Morris

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ECLIPSE SERIES 22: PRESENTING SACHA GUITRY (DVD box set, July 27th)

Contains:
The Story of a Cheat
The Pearls of the Crown
Desire
Quadrille

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Assuming that's the whole July slate, my thoughts...

Red Shoes/Black Narcissus - These should be stunning in hi-def. But I think I'll just rent them. I've been making too many hasty purchases lately. I like both these films a lot, but like most Powell & Pressburger, I don't need to own them.

Ozu - See above. I like all the Ozu I've seen, but not enough to buy any. I haven't seen either of these two, however, so I will definitely check them out.

Secret of the Grain - haven't seen it, another rental

Sacha Guitry - This looks the most interesting to me. I've never seen any Guitry, but I'm curious. And it'll allow me to knock another title (The Story of a Cheat) off the TSPDT 1000 list.

Guess I'll be saving some money in July.