Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
I'm gonna pretend I'm not reading someone complain about The Chemical Brothers and how long their tracks -- nay, their compositions -- are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The realest dude on SA just did, son.

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Threatis posted:

no song should be 10 minutes, let alone 12 minutes. i dont care who you are.

Where should I send a Hallmark "my condolances on your ADD" card?

I have an unreleased BT, Sasha & Peter Gabriel track that's 19:50 long, THATS long, but it's still good.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

congrats on figuring out how to use a machine with 4 buttons
protip: the worst thing to happen to EDM was back in the early 00's when every jackass with a Nord Triton felt he needed to take people on a long form journey through his god damned studio.

on top of that "We Are The Night" was not that good, and some of us dont just give an act a byway because they're an establish group.

and on top of that, whipping out a SASHA song to prove your point is laughable because Sasha is loving horrible.

edit: fixed typo

Threatis fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 6, 2010

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

the only reason 10min+ tracks should exist are for when you're djing and need to take a poo poo

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Xesis posted:

the only reason 10min+ tracks should exist are for when you're djing and need to take a poo poo

pretty much this. i dont think i could ever play a 10+ minute song.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
10 minute songs are perfectly acceptable

When there's a 2 minute conga drum break in the middle of it

and its a disco song

vossi
Mar 29, 2007

Spiderpig. Spiderpig.
wait and see I'd say.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
What do you guys use to make your mixes? I feel like there is a wide range of programs used in this thread.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

phractured posted:

What do you guys use to make your mixes? I feel like there is a wide range of programs used in this thread.

Ableton! I used to use Mixmeister, but it's just not powerful enough.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Ehh, Ey-yo gently caress that Felix, you gotta hit 'em with that 13, 14 minute version.

You know what im sayin'?

You just gotta hit 'em with that poo poo where they just marinate.
Where they just...where they just, they just engulfed in the poo poo.
Where they just... where they...

I hate when a Mother Fucker play a 4 minute version of a...
You cant even get in to ya, ya thing,
You know? You can't even get into your thing on a 4 minute version?
You know what im sayin?

I wanna make...

This, this album goes out to all the Mother Fuckers that like 15, 20 minute versions of a mother fuckin record - where you can get into your thing, you feel me?

I'm sending this album out to all the Mother Fuckers in the after-hour spots!

Yeah I'm not making that..just.. jump on the radio and..erm.. you know...
and be number 1 on the pop of the charts in London.

Nah, I'm just makin that poo poo for them Mother Fuckers that's in the after-hour spots.
Them, them divided souls. Them Mother Fuckers thats, thats, catching the holy ghost through they music, mindin' they own, you know how you just be, mindin' your own business, listenin' to your music, doin' your thing, however you doin it...

So, I'm sendin this poo poo out to the mother fuckers that like them 20 minute versions.
Number 2 the DJ's that play the 20 minute versions - the DJ's that got patience.
Mother Fucker, don't be a crowd pleaser, dick sucker, rear end kisser...mother loving DJ, play the 20 minute version for the 2 mother fuckers that understand it...okay?

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
thread saved

Rukes
Jan 1, 2001

Yes, The Rukes

Threatis posted:

and on top of that, whipping out a SASHA song to prove your point is laughable because Sasha is loving horrible.

What? It's a BT track, and its not even "dance" music, its from a precursor to "This Binary Universe".

I do agree that "We Are The Night" is crap though.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

If a producer actually has 10+ minutes of interesting build to occupy all that space, they should go for it. I'm not saying there aren't people releasing 13-minute-long epic ambient drones like Murcof, Monolake, Vladislav Delay, and Moritz von Oswald or just completely boring non-ambient snoozefests like Ricardo Villalobos and the aformentioned Sasha.
But, c'mon, here's a salute to some great tracks over the 10 minute mark in the past year, all of which are too long to post the unedited versions of on youtube...
roland m dill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-plCFw4Hc
the field
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEVoppSvQtM
memory tapes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOA0xwUCH5g
dusty kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtQuB6_IHBA
etienne jaumet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69aK76OuWU
pantha du prince
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_D423QpHX0
dj koze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS51w1RMx2c
and, of course, this megahit by michel cleis which will undoubtedly sound familiar to most of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y7D8eUrjMc

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

stun runner posted:

Ehh, Ey-yo gently caress that Felix, you gotta hit 'em with that 13, 14 minute version.

You know what im sayin'?

You just gotta hit 'em with that poo poo where they just marinate.
Where they just...where they just, they just engulfed in the poo poo.
Where they just... where they...

I hate when a Mother Fucker play a 4 minute version of a...
You cant even get in to ya, ya thing,
You know? You can't even get into your thing on a 4 minute version?
You know what im sayin?

I wanna make...

This, this album goes out to all the Mother Fuckers that like 15, 20 minute versions of a mother fuckin record - where you can get into your thing, you feel me?

I'm sending this album out to all the Mother Fuckers in the after-hour spots!

Yeah I'm not making that..just.. jump on the radio and..erm.. you know...
and be number 1 on the pop of the charts in London.

Nah, I'm just makin that poo poo for them Mother Fuckers that's in the after-hour spots.
Them, them divided souls. Them Mother Fuckers thats, thats, catching the holy ghost through they music, mindin' they own, you know how you just be, mindin' your own business, listenin' to your music, doin' your thing, however you doin it...

So, I'm sendin this poo poo out to the mother fuckers that like them 20 minute versions.
Number 2 the DJ's that play the 20 minute versions - the DJ's that got patience.
Mother Fucker, don't be a crowd pleaser, dick sucker, rear end kisser...mother loving DJ, play the 20 minute version for the 2 mother fuckers that understand it...okay?

Speaking of which. Features a nice lift of kickdrum.

loteck
May 25, 2005

what is BAPE?
Speaking of BT, he was on Here and Now today doing a great job of evangelizing the masses to EM, imo. "If you look at the wave forms that crickets make..."

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
Another amazing mix from Mr Viper? Yes please!

Mr Viper - Other Rekkid [via soundcloud]

01. Passion Pit - Little Secrets (Jack Beats Remix)
02. Proxy - Raven
03. Sidney Samson - Riverside (Electrix Remix)
04. Orlando Voorn - Paco Di Bango (deadmau5 Remix)
05. Daft Punk - The Prime Time Of Your Life (Tits And Clits Remix)
06. The Faint - The Geeks Were Right
07. The Bloody Beetroots - Domino
08. Erol Alkan & Boys Noize - Waves
09. Les Petit Pilous - Wake Up
10. A Fifth Of Beethoven (Soulwax Remix)
11. Turbo P - AWWWW poo poo
12. Knuckles - Loading
13. La Roux - I'm Not Your Toy (Jack Beats Remix)
14. Turbo P - Rave Pirates
15. Erol Alkan & Boys Noize - Lemonade
16. Noisia - Alpha Centauri

Mr Viper fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 7, 2010

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]

etard knievel posted:

If a producer actually has 10+ minutes of interesting build to occupy all that space, they should go for it. I'm not saying there aren't people releasing 13-minute-long epic ambient drones like Murcof, Monolake, Vladislav Delay, and Moritz von Oswald or just completely boring non-ambient snoozefests like Ricardo Villalobos and the aformentioned Sasha.

Yeah I never got the Villalobos hype. He's supposed to 'push the boundaries of EDM' and all that nonsense but it just came off as really boring to me. And I have a lot of patience as a listener, I like to think. I mean I can listen to Together's So much love to give all the way through and not bat an eyelash but Alcahofa is such a snorefest imo

for anyone who's up for the torture... I actually kinda like this song :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGEOYmMe-aI

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Mr Viper posted:

02. Proxy - Raven
12. Knuckles - Loading

Just looking at the tracklist is getting me excited for this. Thanks!

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Mr Viper posted:

02. Proxy - Raven
12. Knuckles - Loading
represent dawg

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Viper posted:

02. Proxy - Raven
12. Knuckles - Loading

there is 100% no flow here.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Threatis posted:

there is 100% no flow here.

I'm definitely no DJ, mixer, remixer, etc....just a casual listener and I enjoyed it. So Mr. Viper, thank you!

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Boywunda posted:

I'm definitely no DJ, mixer, remixer, etc....just a casual listener and I enjoyed it. So Mr. Viper, thank you!

I'm not denying that this is a series of good songs put in an order, but jesus the order.......

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Threatis posted:

I'm not denying that this is a series of good songs put in an order, but jesus the order.......

While I'll agree with you on some transitions....for the most part I like what he did with it....but like I said, I'm just a casual listener.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

For other DJs, listening to mixes involves a lot of chin stroking. For the casual listener it involves a lot of boogie.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Caseman posted:

For other DJs, listening to mixes involves a lot of chin stroking. For the casual listener it involves a lot of boogie.

this is an incredibly untrue statement.

Stupidog
Mar 30, 2007

phractured posted:

Two Technics 1200's, Two Pioneer CDJ 800's, and a Pioneer DJM-600. I use CoolEdit to make any final adjustments to the mix (leveling and such) and save it to MP3 to be uploaded to my website, http://bpm.org :)

I wish I knew how to use Abletron, but ... I probably wouldn't even know where to begin with it.

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Traktor, a VCI-100 and outboard soundcard.

i pack light.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Threatis posted:

this is an incredibly untrue statement.

Why, it's not your chin you're stroking?
:master:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...

Threatis posted:

there's just no pleasing you, is there?

Threatis
Sep 28, 2005

Mr Viper posted:

yeah i literally like nothing. when i go out and DJ i actually play silence. its a bitch to beatmatch

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
threatis actually has pre-loaded mixes in itunes that he presses play on then does rails

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Mike_V posted:

threatis actually has pre-loaded mixes in itunes that he presses play on then does rails

So do I!
What does that make me?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Mr Viper posted:

it's just sorta boring dude. you play that riverside remix for waaayyyyy too long, and the volume drop after that just kills the energy for good. there's some good tracks, but overall it doesn't sound all that interesting. also i'm pretty sure raven isn't even in that mix. haven't you only been mixing for a short time? why are you calling your poo poo 'amazing'? that's a turn off

JimmyJazz
May 22, 2007

Boywunda posted:

So do I!
What does that make me?

about on par with justice

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
you guys are harshin my buuuuzzzzz right now

Anything posted on the internet is just asking for it to be torn apart. Criticism can be a good thing, though. I have a sneaking suspicion that Threatis just doesn't like that mix because it features a certain deceased rodent :) I know very little about mixing like a pro so I'll reserve comment for now.

quote:

Two Technics 1200's, Two Pioneer CDJ 800's, and a Pioneer DJM-600. I use CoolEdit to make any final adjustments to the mix (leveling and such) and save it to MP3 to be uploaded to my website, http://bpm.org

I wish I knew how to use Abletron, but ... I probably wouldn't even know where to begin with it.
Ableton is supposed to be the most intuitive and fun to use DAW around. I just use it to dick around and I have a blast just figuring new poo poo out. Give the trial a shot on the Ableton website. There are a lot of great resources on the internet too. I can upload a really great intro-to-ableton-DJing tutorial if you want. It's really ridiculously easy once you know what to do.

Mr Viper
Jun 21, 2005

Derezzed...
No, I could use the criticism. Vernacular, you're right, I'm new at this (and my "awesome" comment was just tongue-in-cheek)...

Proxy's there in the beginning, you just have to listen hard for it :P

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Lysis posted:

Ableton is supposed to be the most intuitive and fun to use DAW around. I just use it to dick around and I have a blast just figuring new poo poo out. Give the trial a shot on the Ableton website. There are a lot of great resources on the internet too. I can upload a really great intro-to-ableton-DJing tutorial if you want. It's really ridiculously easy once you know what to do.

This is true. After watching some videos, I became an Ableton DJ pretty quickly. Once I master my "style"/"tracklist"/how I want to transition, then I'll post some mixes, but it is very easy to get.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Lysis posted:

There are a lot of great resources on the internet too. I can upload a really great intro-to-ableton-DJing tutorial if you want. It's really ridiculously easy once you know what to do.

I'm interested in this. Or if anyone can suggest some good tutorials. Maybe I should post this in the ableton thread haha.

Also whats the deal with tech-house? It's played EVERYWHERE here and has a wicked groove but half the time its pretty boring. Am I missing something? When I see electro/house/prog house DJs they all destroy the dancefloor but everyone and their mom plays tech house. I don't get it. Also I'm hearing a lot of electro badmouthing.
Is this some penis waving dj poo poo I'm not getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

Firaga posted:

Is this some penis waving dj poo poo I'm not getting?

no this never happens