Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

It was at Hobbycraft, for Five English Pounds. Checking the packaging there is no further info about the manufacturer beyond the brand name, so no clues for finding US stockists.

PV, I think you did some ogres (for Hordes?) at some point with tartans on them. Do you have any pics about? I'm about to paint some kommandos I kitbashed ages ago, some with fantasy orc kilt/tunic legs so I could use some demotivation ;)

EDIT: I mentioned my bulb quest to one of the guys in our local GW the other day and he mentioned getting a halogen lamp with a magnifier from Argos and really liking it. Looking at their site there is one for £24.99 that is probably it.

Shallow fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
No hobbycrafts down here in civilization so I'm gonna pick up a random halogen lamp and glue the fucker down. Thanks duder

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Shallow posted:

It was at Hobbycraft, for Five English Pounds. Checking the packaging there is no further info about the manufacturer beyond the brand name, so no clues for finding US stockists.

PV, I think you did some ogres (for Hordes?) at some point with tartans on them. Do you have any pics about? I'm about to paint some kommandos I kitbashed ages ago, some with fantasy orc kilt/tunic legs so I could use some demotivation ;)

EDIT: I mentioned my bulb quest to one of the guys in our local GW the other day and he mentioned getting a halogen lamp with a magnifier from Argos and really liking it. Looking at their site there is one for £24.99 that is probably it.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f281/BBivona/Miniature%20Painting/Trollbloods/

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread.

For fun I was thinking about making a Slaanesh champion using some of my collection of bits.

Can anyone throw some suggestions out there for parts to use?

I have regular CSM parts, csm terminator stuff, csm terminator lord stuff and some possessed pieces to pick from. I also have ork nobz pieces, some IG pieces and a ton of nid stuff.

I am also considering doing some kind of cthulhu/tentacle additions.

You got the bits and have some vague idea of what he should be armed with. The rest really isn't anything that requires much in the way of recommendations. A torso from the possessed set is good, though. Get some bio armour for him. The arm with a sword melting into the hand is good for nearly any melee weapon you would actually want to put on him (if you can sculpt it into a barb-tipped whip instead it would be ace). The bare, giant-horned head from the CSM champion sprue is also good. Helmets from various chaos warriors and knights are always popular and so are marauder and knight shoulder pads.

The arm with apothecary stuff on it, needles and cutters, from the space marine command sprue is great. If you can trade for this from your local group do so.

Tyranid stuff is a little harder to make fit. You get some spikes and armour plates, I guess. Carving out the ribbed parts and smoothing them out with greenstuff should make some rending claw hands fit.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Oh, Trollbloods not ogres. Look at my terrifying ignorance of non-GW games.

Cheers dude. Well that's bolstered my confidence a fair bit, the orc bits are a lot less wrinkly than the surfaces you pulled of some nice tartan on.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
PV, I love everything you paint and post pictures of. It makes me wish I had the time and money to play a game with minis.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It makes me wish I had the time and money to play a game with minis.

me too broseph, me too :911:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Can anyone recommend a lamp set up I can pick up in the UK for £20 or less that will be ideal for painting minis. I dropped my desk lamp last and now we have bulb afficionados I need help.

Dumb questions ITT (buy any old loving lamp edition)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47980

This is what I use, it is excellent.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47980

This is what I use, it is excellent.

Is it easy to get used to actually using the magnifier bit? Seems like it might be a bit odd to paint that way.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I tried using a lamp with a magnifier lens a while back when I was working on some other miniature projects but my perspectives got all wonked out because there's always that warped distortion towards the edge of the lens. I dunno, if it doesn't bother you go for it. Personally I prefer those goggles more if I really need to see tiny stuff.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
MY WIFE helped reinforce my crack/ham habbit by buying me a mag-lamp a couple of years ago for my birthday, it's the singlemost greatest thing I ever received to improve my painting. I don't use the magnifier but the lamp is the best.

It was from http://www.wargamesworkshop.com I think.

Also PV, thanks for the drugs tip I'll check with my old man dealer/dr pal and see what he can score me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
SERIOUS TIP for people looking for lamps/bulbs:

fabric/sewing stores will sell this kind of thing for LADIES who like to sew and embroider and do all that kind of thing. I know these shops are really scary to nerds but they will totally be able to sell you really good daylight/magnifying/superfly lamps and bulbs to put in the aforementioned lamps.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Is it easy to get used to actually using the magnifier bit? Seems like it might be a bit odd to paint that way.

It takes some adjusting to, but I only use the mag for eyes. The light and manouverability of the lamp is what make it awesome.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It takes some adjusting to, but I only use the mag for eyes. The light and manouverability of the lamp is what make it awesome.

sweet. going to head up to the maplin just up the road at the weekend and get some I LOVE LAMP on. I got a cheap desk lamp with a bendy neck and a good bulb, but the lamp is poo poo because when you bend the neck too far, it overbalances and falls (usually onto miniatures)

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

chelsea clinton posted:

You got the bits and have some vague idea of what he should be armed with. The rest really isn't anything that requires much in the way of recommendations. A torso from the possessed set is good, though. Get some bio armour for him. The arm with a sword melting into the hand is good for nearly any melee weapon you would actually want to put on him (if you can sculpt it into a barb-tipped whip instead it would be ace). The bare, giant-horned head from the CSM champion sprue is also good. Helmets from various chaos warriors and knights are always popular and so are marauder and knight shoulder pads.

The arm with apothecary stuff on it, needles and cutters, from the space marine command sprue is great. If you can trade for this from your local group do so.

Tyranid stuff is a little harder to make fit. You get some spikes and armour plates, I guess. Carving out the ribbed parts and smoothing them out with greenstuff should make some rending claw hands fit.

I actually have a complete command squad box minus the smaller banners.

I'm torn on what to do with all these marines (I'd rather not sell them).

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

PaintVagrant posted:

me too broseph, me too :911:

Dude I've exhausted my game budget for the next three months just buying two d3s and the parhfinder core book. At least it looks like the game will be fun. :gbsmith:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Danger - Octopus! posted:

SERIOUS TIP for people looking for lamps/bulbs:

fabric/sewing stores will sell this kind of thing for LADIES who like to sew and embroider and do all that kind of thing. I know these shops are really scary to nerds but they will totally be able to sell you really good daylight/magnifying/superfly lamps and bulbs to put in the aforementioned lamps.

What warham worth his weight in polystyrene glue isn't already incredibly familiar with his local Michaels/Joann Fabrics?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've got a magnifier lamp, but don't use the magnifier. It makes my head swim to try, and my eyes are pretty good anyways, but the light on that thing is friggin awesome and the swivel arm on it is way useful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Manifest posted:

What warham worth his weight in polystyrene glue isn't already incredibly familiar with his local Michaels/Joann Fabrics?
I got funny looks when I went into Joann's and bought two boxes of wax paper on clearance. "Baking a lot of cookies, are we, son?"

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For you guys that are using the magnifier lamp only for the light (like Fix), do you see a difference with that circular light tube vs. a single light bulb? I went the cheap route for lighting, 10 bucks for a swivel arm lamp with a clamp on the bottom for 11 bucks at office depot.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I got funny looks when I went into Joann's and bought two boxes of wax paper on clearance. "Baking a lot of cookies, are we, son?"

I once got a one of those compartmented sorting trays for bitz from Michael's.The label was festooned with beads, and the old lady at the register couldn't resist.

"Got a lot of beads, do we?" :smug:

I responded the only way I know how... I twisted up my face into a look of belligerent dismay, and said "BEES?!!"

Honestly, one of my prouder moments with this hobby.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Just bought these. I want to make them look like chaos marines but don't know where to begin. Should I start hacking and filing off the purity seals and blood drops? Or keep the gems on? I'm thinking the paint scheme will be Angels of Ecstasy, like this

which is a poo poo picture, so I redid it on painter

So, what do you guys think? Worth the trouble? What chaos bits should I tack on? I'm tempted just to use a bunch of the possessed bits, or should I have the corruption be more subtle?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Swap out the wings on some of them for bat-lookin' wings. There's some Harpy wings that aren't extended, right?

What God are they with, if any? Because if it's Slaaneshi, well, there's already muscles molded on, so just GS on a tittie...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Most definitely slaanesh, and I'm keeping the angel wings on as that's pretty much why I bought the kit

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Angryboot posted:

For you guys that are using the magnifier lamp only for the light (like Fix), do you see a difference with that circular light tube vs. a single light bulb? I went the cheap route for lighting, 10 bucks for a swivel arm lamp with a clamp on the bottom for 11 bucks at office depot.

I used one like that for a long time, and would probably still if the switch hadn't broken.

The lighting on the tube I think is better, though the color on mine is a little too blue for photographing. I got one of those pop-up photo studio things for $40 from thinkgeek, but I don't really like the results that much, so I've been trying to shoot mine outside in more natural light. It's pretty hit or miss though.

For painting though, it's fine. Can't say whether I'd be doing just as well with a better single bulb on my old lamp, though.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'd definitely replace the legs, I can't stand those fourpack knees. Also file off the blood drop gems, purity seals, possibly the scrollwork too.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Oh god nipples on power armor.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
You know, those are freaking amazing for plastics, and from a technical standpoint, well-sculpted. But at some point, someone there needs to take a rolled-up newspaper, whack the sculptor in the nose, and yell "NO" because that is basically the only appropriate response to nipple armor and those kneepads.

edit: cfh send me your leftover sanguinary guard axes, tia

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Goons uncomfortable being reminded of sculpted male physique itt

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is me after that mega ownage

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fyrbrand posted:

You know, those are freaking amazing for plastics, and from a technical standpoint, well-sculpted. But at some point, someone there needs to take a rolled-up newspaper, whack the sculptor in the nose, and yell "NO" because that is basically the only appropriate response to nipple armor and those kneepads.

edit: cfh send me your leftover sanguinary guard axes, tia

The kneepads are weird but the torsos are basically in line with Hellenic/Roman era armour.

Click here for the full 1605x1056 image.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The kneepads aren't just painted that way? I thought someone in the warhammer thread said they weren't actually molded that way.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I figured they were basing it off some kind of real world armor, but that just means I think the roman stuff looks weird too. If other people like it, that's cool, I just don't care for it myself.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chenghiz posted:

The kneepads are weird but the torsos are basically in line with Hellenic/Roman era armour.

Click here for the full 1605x1056 image.

I personally think that the aesthetic clashes with the rest of the armor. Hellenic armor is closely modeled to an idealized physique. The Sanguinary Guard have the torsos, but its matched with regular enormous shoulders and the huge bellbottom legs with these little grooves and stuff that are supposed to allude to that look, I guess. I don't have anything against the look, it just has a weird fusion with Space Marine stuff and doesn't quite come together.

The sculpting and molding work is impressive, though, and ultimately it does look like a very good kit. It is also possible that I am biased because I just don't really like the Space Marine look in general.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Just bought these. I want to make them look like chaos marines but don't know where to begin. Should I start hacking and filing off the purity seals and blood drops? Or keep the gems on? I'm thinking the paint scheme will be Angels of Ecstasy, like this

which is a poo poo picture, so I redid it on painter

So, what do you guys think? Worth the trouble? What chaos bits should I tack on? I'm tempted just to use a bunch of the possessed bits, or should I have the corruption be more subtle?

I sort of want to do this too :ohdear:

The wings scream mutation (chaos) to me and drop some chaos horned helmets on them, maybe swap out an arm or legs for some possessed pieces too.

Beyond looking awesome I guess they could be counts as raptors or something :shobon:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 8, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They come like that.

Also I'm real bad a removing purity seals jesus christ.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You could always just take a little gs and fill in the grooves.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The bare plastic knee looks like a belly button.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

The bare plastic knee looks like a belly button.

i will never unsee that. gently caress you

I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I like the collar/cuff on that armor a lot

• Locked thread